• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

But I'm not about to dismiss all Japanese bikes as lacking soul or character...

the R1...

*sniff* thanks! I definitely think my bike has soul/character :)

Here is my little precious :)

Nice! Very clean-looking ride.

I think I would prefer the Aprilla Shiver just for the tank capcity. I know that sounds like a silly reason to make me go one way of the other. But it is.

The Shiver is a really nice street bike. I could spend hours on one. The current gen is even more refined. The V-twin certainly has a nice snarl/grow to it :)

So I went to go start my bike today since I like to let it run for a little bit every other week in the winter. Anyways, I couln't get it to start. Pretty sure the battery is fine cause the lights come on in everything. I just can't get the engine to turn over. Choke is open, but when I press the starter, it chugs for a second and then makes this fast clicking noise if I keep the starter pressed in. It's around 45 degrees out. Normally that isn't too cold to start it. Any advice?

Flo_Evans

So I went to go start my bike today since I like to let it run for a little bit every other week in the winter. Anyways, I couln't get it to start. Pretty sure the battery is fine cause the lights come on in everything. I just can't get the engine to turn over. Choke is open, but when I press the starter, it chugs for a second and then makes this fast clicking noise if I keep the starter pressed in. It's around 45 degrees out. Normally that isn't too cold to start it. Any advice?

Battery is low, or the connectors are corroded.

But I'm not about to dismiss all Japanese bikes as lacking soul or character. I feel that's just inaccurate.

The Yamaha RD500, the YZF750R, the R7, the R1, the Vmax. The Honda RC30, the VTR-SP1/2. Suzuki GSXR-1100W. Kawasaki Z900 and the H2's.

Lots of cool stuff.

Most modern ones lack soul and character. I mentioned that Honda used to be good. You proved my point. Those are all cool and "unique" Japanese bikes, and they're all history or no longer relevant. Well the R1 is still around, but I am not a fan of the insect styling, and the factory produced street bike is overweight. And with the new firing order, down on power. The BMW walks all over it, with the old conventional screamer the R-1 used to use for most of its past. It was a breakthrough in the nineties, the "CBR900 beater", but the new R1s are by most accounts, the worst of the big four's liter superbike offerings. They have no traction control to speak of. BMW's is shitty, but at least it has the option. The new Vmax is a bust IMO. It's faster than the original, but it has become even more bloated with even worse and scary handling.

I loved the YZF-750R, like the one Haga raced. I almost bought a new leftover '96. But ended up going with a YZF600R. I've heard rumors coming from Wayne Gardner that Honda has a new V-4 based "RC-60" prototype as a platform for WSBK racing. I think the economy has scrapped those plans, but the new NSF250R is a sexy machine.

I'm not planning on upgrading from my v-twin anytime soon, but my next bike will likely be a used Tuono V-4. But I want to wait for the engine to be refreshed in a couple years. The reliability of this V-4 has not been proven. This is an in house Aprilia design, however by a former designer of Ferrari street engines, and racing manager.

I recommend ordering parts online from AF1 Racing, their forum is the best internet resource for Aprilia motorcycles and scooters.

How comfortable was the 650r? That bike is in the mix along with the zx6r and a gsxr600 for me...

It was way better than the 250 seat that I was used to. Overall it's pretty comfortable, though they did some quite significant changes on the 2012 model. The banana seat is gone and it has more padding than the older models.

This bike is more of a standard bike than the zx6r and the gsxr. Upright seating position rather than the more hardcore sporty position of the other bikes. You have to decide on whether you want that extra performance because the zx6 and the gsxr are not the most comfortable bikes if you are just going around town or even on the hwy.

Most modern ones lack soul and character. I mentioned that Honda used to be good. You proved my point. Those are all cool and "unique" Japanese bikes, and they're all history or no longer relevant. Well the R1 is still around, but I am not a fan of the insect styling, and the factory produced street bike is overweight. And with the new firing order, down on power. The BMW walks all over it, with the old conventional screamer the R-1 used to use for most of its past. It was a breakthrough in the nineties, the "CBR900 beater", but the new R1s are by most accounts, the worst of the big four's liter superbike offerings. They have no traction control to speak of. BMW's is shitty, but at least it has the option. The new Vmax is a bust IMO. It's faster than the original, but it has become even more bloated with even worse and scary handling.

I loved the YZF-750R, like the one Haga raced. I almost bought a new leftover '96. But ended up going with a YZF600R. I've heard rumors coming from Wayne Gardner that Honda has a new V-4 based "RC-60" prototype as a platform for WSBK racing. I think the economy has scrapped those plans, but the new NSF250R is a sexy machine.

Agree, though I guess this trend is typical for nearly all modern automotive products. There's a scant few that manage to make something beautiful within the confines of ever more strict regulations, emission restrictions, pedestrian safety measures and god knows what else.

I recommend ordering parts online from AF1 Racing, their forum is the best internet resource for Aprilia motorcycles and scooters.

Hehe, sounds kinda like they're paying you :D.

TCRS

Banned
I prefer the 2011 styling to the new 2012 Er6f.

2011:

n88A.jpg

vs.

2012:

kawasaki-er-6f-2012_hd.jpg

The 2011 model looks nice and mature. The new one has bug eyes and a much too aggressive style for the bike it is.

I got one of those battery charger things last Christmas. Think that would do the trick? I'll try and take a look at the battery tomorrow.

If a battery is going bad it cannot charge to full capacity and put out the necessary power for the bike. My stock battery had this, and although it read as fully charged on the tender it was down on capacity.

Most modern ones lack soul and character. I mentioned that Honda used to be good. You proved my point. Those are all cool and "unique" Japanese bikes, and they're all history or no longer relevant. Well the R1 is still around, but I am not a fan of the insect styling, and the factory produced street bike is overweight. And with the new firing order, down on power. The BMW walks all over it, with the old conventional screamer the R-1 used to use for most of its past. It was a breakthrough in the nineties, the "CBR900 beater", but the new R1s are by most accounts, the worst of the big four's liter superbike offerings. They have no traction control to speak of. BMW's is shitty, but at least it has the option.

The current offering has TC standard, and apparently it works nicely. Having ridden the S1000RR at two track schools I can tell you the overall gap is very small. It has extremely top end biased power (shit on the street) and handling is actually not spectacular. It is small and light, but steering feels GSX-R heavy and not entirely exact. My R1 is by no means stock and has shed a good bit of weight. It's lighter than the Aprilia V4 bikes stock :p . The handling is quite good with quick turn in and side-to-side transition. After having its ECU reflashed it pulls like crazy. It's not a straight line star, but I have steamrolled so many other liters at the track (including your "bikes with soul and character") I don't particularly care.

Took some pics today. Hope they're not too big. I was at my parents and needed to fetch my passport which I left in Amsterdam, it was cold, but dry, so I went for a ride.

dscn0645xypit.jpg

dscn06476lbp3.jpg

dscn0652i5xqn.jpg

dscn0654llxv1.jpg

dscn06561kbxp.jpg

If a battery is going bad it cannot charge to full capacity and put out the necessary power for the bike. My stock battery had this, and although it read as fully charged on the tender it was down on capacity.

I guess I have a fair bit to learn about motorcycle batteries. I finally took the seat off and removed the battery for the first time since I've bought the bike (last year). It looks like the levels in some of the liquid chambers are pretty low. You guys ever gone through and added water for something like this? I was going to do this and try charging it with the tender thing I have and see if that helps. Any advice?

AiTM

Banned
Well I am still looking for a bike after selling my Ninja 250 last winter. I thought for sure I wanted a GSXR600 or ZX6R....and then I saw this bad boy...The Ducati Diavel.

1Zcb0.jpg

Sorry for the pic size, but fuck that thing is sexy. Plus its looks really comfortable. I used to think I wanted a sport bike, but given how I ride I want something that you can sit on and ride for hours. Only thing I dont like is its a huge bike. Im a smaller guy (5'8"), and I dont want my stump legs holding up that 1200cc beast.

*edited for size

I guess I have a fair bit to learn about motorcycle batteries. I finally took the seat off and removed the battery for the first time since I've bought the bike (last year). It looks like the levels in some of the liquid chambers are pretty low. You guys ever gone through and added water for something like this? I was going to do this and try charging it with the tender thing I have and see if that helps. Any advice?

My old Ninja 250 had an old style battery and I had to refill the fluid (distilled water ONLY) when I charged it. Make sure that yours is that style of battery, not a sealed, more modern unit. Once one of those goes, you just replace the whole thing. But the overall maintenance is much easier.

BTW regarding the Diavel, I am 5'9" and have sat on one. It is shockingly light weight for its size. And low.

Well I am still looking for a bike after selling my Ninja 250 last winter. I thought for sure I wanted a GSXR600 or ZX6R....and then I saw this bad boy...The Ducati Diavel.

*Diavel pic.*

Sorry for the pic size, but fuck that thing is sexy. Plus its looks really comfortable. I used to think I wanted a sport bike, but given how I ride I want something that you can sit on and ride for hours. Only thing I dont like is its a huge bike. Im a smaller guy (5'8"), and I dont want my stump legs holding up that 1200cc beast.

*edited for size

Yeah, that might be uncomfortable at the lights. Though I'm not sure how the Diavel rates in terms of height.

Ok, so I looked it up, same height as the Monster 696, which is 770mm or 77 centimeters high. Should be fine I think. You'll have to check to see if you're going to be comfortable with the weight though, dry it's 210kgs. That's 40kgs more than the 696. And a fuckload more than the 250 r you're used to :).

Be sure to drive both the Diavel and the 696 though. Odds are you'll like the nimble Monster more :p. (though there's something to be said for torque, as my 1100 testifies).

BTW regarding the Diavel, I am 5'9" and have sat on one. It is shockingly light weight for its size. And low.

Yeah, they probably distributed the weight in a very pleasant manner.

AiTM

Banned
Im reading everywhere that Ducatis are very expensive for maintenance...anyone familiar? Also, I like the Monster, but not crazy about the dual pipe on the back, do they make single exhausts for it?

Im reading everywhere that Ducatis are very expensive for maintenance...anyone familiar?

A popular myth that used to be true, for the water cooled 4 valve models at least. Service intervals on modern Ducati's are similar to most other bikes. The actual cost might be higher on a 848/1198 or Diavel as the engines are more complex, but it's a lot better than in the 916 days I think.

Also, I like the Monster, but not crazy about the dual pipe on the back, do they make single exhausts for it?

I think they do, but you'll have to look a little harder and it's an expensive mod as it requires you to buy a full exhaust system (that replaces everything all the way back up to the cilinder heads).

I'm looking to upgrade from my Ninja 250 in the near future and have my eyes set on the Monster 696. Just today I found a Craigslist ad for an '09 696 with 6.9k miles for $6300 OBO. He says there are a couple scratches here and there, but no major cosmetic damage. Post claims the bike was recently serviced and in great condition. What say you, Gaf? Decent deal?

I'm looking to upgrade from my Ninja 250 in the near future and have my eyes set on the Monster 696. Just today I found a Craigslist ad for an '09 696 with 6.9k miles for $6300 OBO. He says there are a couple scratches here and there, but no major cosmetic damage. Post claims the bike was recently serviced and in great condition. What say you, Gaf? Decent deal?

Depends on what kind of scratches they are and what they are a result from. And the bike needs a bigger service around that kind of mileage (valve-timings, that kind of stuff). If that's in the service record it's all good. If it isn't, count on another couple hundred bucks in service depending on how much that is in the States. Otherwise, that price is about right.

Depends on what kind of scratches they are and what they are a result from. And the bike needs a bigger service around that kind of mileage (valve-timings, that kind of stuff). If that's in the service record it's all good. If it isn't, count on another couple hundred bucks in service depending on how much that is in the States. Otherwise, that price is about right.

Thanks for the input. Here's what he has to say in the post: Bike has a few scratches on it but is overall in excellent condition. I am the second owner of the bike. Timing belts changed by Ducati dealer in June of 2011. Bike comes with full sliders (frame and axle) Also comes with new brakes front & rear and a Competition Werkes fender delete. All hydraulic lines have been flushed.

I'm not familiar with service and maintenance intervals for Ducati's, so I don't have much to go on.

Perhaps it's best to call a Ducati dealer and inquire as to what the first larger service on a 696 entails, what that's referred to as in the service record, and at what mileage you typically do that.

Then you know what you're looking for :).

The current offering has TC standard, and apparently it works nicely. Having ridden the S1000RR at two track schools I can tell you the overall gap is very small. It has extremely top end biased power (shit on the street) and handling is actually not spectacular. It is small and light, but steering feels GSX-R heavy and not entirely exact. My R1 is by no means stock and has shed a good bit of weight. It's lighter than the Aprilia V4 bikes stock :p . The handling is quite good with quick turn in and side-to-side transition. After having its ECU reflashed it pulls like crazy. It's not a straight line star, but I have steamrolled so many other liters at the track (including your "bikes with soul and character") I don't particularly care.

The 2012 R1's TC isn't much. It's just wheel sensors and the computer. And as you say, the BMW's isn't much better (it's problem is terrible software). The RSV4 APRC has the best OEM TC available in both the hw and sw. (2 gyros, 2 accelerometers, and basically the same ECU kit as Biaggi's race bike)

Also agree the BMW's handling is not great. Many WERA racers went back to GSXR-1ks. All I was saying is the BMW has the most hp. As far as handling, the RSV4 is in its own league. Kevin Schwantz rode them a year ago and said the Aprilia is the only liter sportbike that handles like his former Moto GP bike, "telepathic". It's really the ultimate track weapon. I agree the rider is the most important factor. It is rather expensive and I don't expect it will be as reliable as a Honda or Yamaha built engine, but if money is no object, the RSV4 APRC was born for the track. Will be interesting to see how the Panigale does, but I hear it's only going WSS racing the first season. Ducati not showing much confidence. I suspect like the frameless GP bike, it may have teething problems.

Im reading everywhere that Ducatis are very expensive for maintenance...anyone familiar?

Although the intervals are longer than ever, the 4 valve per head ducati engines do cost more to maintain than most other sportbike makes. It's because the valve train is more complicated and specialized to work on. Parts are usually more expensive too. Although if you buy new, you'll have a warranty.

So last night I made the upgrade from my Ninja 250. I got an amazing deal on an '09 Monster 696 and couldn't be happier! Rode it home last night and the thing is a beast. So much different than the 250. I had a huge shit-eating grin on my face every time I opened her up and heard that growl coming on. Here is a pic of me after the ride home.

muuXRl.jpg

So last night I made the upgrade from my Ninja 250. I got an amazing deal on an '09 Monster 696 and couldn't be happier! Rode it home last night and the thing is a beast. So much different than the 250. I had a huge shit-eating grin on my face every time I opened her up and heard that growl coming on. Here is a pic of me after the ride home.

muuXRl.jpg

Very nice! How long did you have the 250 for (time/miles)? Did you get rid of the Ninja, and if so, how much value did it retain?

This is mine.

Vespa-50-N-Special-orange-007_web.jpg

Wow...classic. Almost feels like that picture should be B&W ;)

muuXRl.jpg

Congratulations! The new Monster is such a great ride. Thoroughly enjoyed a test drive on the 696 a while back. Looks great in black.

Are you sure it's an '09 model though? Cause those elongated heat shields on the exhaust are a '10 feature.

Very nice! How long did you have the 250 for (time/miles)? Did you get rid of the Ninja, and if so, how much value did it retain?

I had the 250 for a year. I know it's not a very long time in terms of ownership, but I put about 1500 miles on it commuting in NYC traffic, not counting a few longer road trips. The 250 is definitely an excellent bike and I'd recommend it to anyone starting out. I haven't sold it yet, but I'm confident I can get almost what I paid for.

Congratulations! The new Monster is such a great ride. Thoroughly enjoyed a test drive on the 696 a while back. Looks great in black.

Are you sure it's an '09 model though? Cause those elongated heat shields on the exhaust are a '10 feature.

Thank you! According to the VIN # and title it's an '09.

Thank you! According to the VIN # and title it's an '09.

Baffling. Maybe the previous owner was hell bent on somehow fitting those new heat-shields. Interesting nonetheless.

It's too bad the Termignoni's never updated to the new shields, as you can see, my bike is now back the old short shields.

Anyone have any good recommendations for an after-market clutch lever? The stock lever on the M696 is too far away from the grip, and according to my online research it's basically impossible to adjust the position. Seems like a lot of people recommend the CRG roll-a-click levers, but I wanted to get Gaf's opinion. Any other good (and less costly) brands out there?

Anyone have any good recommendations for an after-market clutch lever? The stock lever on the M696 is too far away from the grip, and according to my online research it's basically impossible to adjust the position. Seems like a lot of people recommend the CRG roll-a-click levers, but I wanted to get Gaf's opinion. Any other good (and less costly) brands out there?

CRG are good. I have them on mine.

Wolfe

This reminds me I need to pull my battery out again and toss it on the trickle charger, my chain went bad a few months back and I've been putting off getting a new chain and sprockets until I actually start riding it again (which should be soon judging by the weather).

Just realized I've had my 05 R6 since Nov 05, so just over 6 years now, haven't even owned any cars that long yet :p. I'd like to start looking at something new but it's not like I have a need to upgrade or anything so whatever.

TomServo

Posted in the pickup thread, probably belonged here instead.

sv650_cl_1.jpg

2003 Suzuki SV650S. I've been looking for this particular bike for a long time; this color was only offered in '03, and the rear subframe was slightly higher in '03 compared to every other model year (at 6'1" this is a good thing for me).

Every other one I had looked at had been a train wreck. This one is pristine - just under 5,000 miles, no crashes, no signs of abuse. Bought it from a guy with three Ducatis who was just trying to make room in his garage.

Have a ZX14 shock, some new 0.95 kg/mm Race Tech fork springs, 20W fork oil, and frame sliders to install this weekend.

^ Congrats!!! Any plans for it?

Love my CRG shorty levers. I have em on my both my zx6 and zx10.

TomServo

^ Congrats!!! Any plans for it?
No plans for racing, if that's what you mean. Financially, track days are at least a year away for me.

Beyond upgrading the suspension to carry my 195lb weight around, it just needs all the fluids replaced and a slip-on. The radiator got tweaked in the one tip over the owner had, so I may replace that. It doesn't leak and it cools fine, but I'm OCD about my cars and bikes.

Posted in the pickup thread, probably belonged here instead.

sv650_cl_1.jpg

2003 Suzuki SV650S. I've been looking for this particular bike for a long time; this color was only offered in '03, and the rear subframe was slightly higher in '03 compared to every other model year (at 6'1" this is a good thing for me).

Every other one I had looked at had been a train wreck. This one is pristine - just under 5,000 miles, no crashes, no signs of abuse. Bought it from a guy with three Ducatis who was just trying to make room in his garage.

Have a ZX14 shock, some new 0.95 kg/mm Race Tech fork springs, 20W fork oil, and frame sliders to install this weekend.

Congrats, I love the angular version of the SV.

Top Bottom