• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

People in this game are so fucking sensitive. We didn't even know why he was throwing until the first round was already done, so it was pretty much a guaranteed loss at that point.

k4Fsmg8.jpg

SN2XRPI.jpg

Anne

In a general sense, do you still stand by your opinion, that there is always a better option than Junk? Is there anything they could do to make him truly viable in high-level meta play?

Live Junkrat is still a trashfire of a character that is generally not worth picking. He has some niche and gimmick uses now, but it's not something that is super consistent. In soloq he's pretty bad just by nature of soloq(I feel he's better in organized play), but his damage can hurt teams that make big mistakes. There's always a better ladder option, but in rare cases it's fine.

PTR Junkrat is a lot better, but still probably niche. We're still in mobility dominated hell, and just slapping more mobility onto him isn't going to make him compete with Genji or Tracer. It just makes him better at doing what he does and dealing with people jumping on top of him.

He'll prolly be viable with the PTR change, but not anywhere near the current mainline DPS line up. There'd need to be a shift away from the mobile tanks that's stronger than like what Zarya is doing atm.

Heroes like Hanzo/Widow attract the worst type of teammates in FPS. This is true across any FPS that allows you to be a sniper class. I put a lot of the blame on Blizzard, when you design such a teamwork heavy game with only 6 spots per team, putting in heroes that are largely worthless when played by 99% of the player base is just bad design to me, especially when you know they'll be popular in spite of the fact people suck with them.

Ana is a well designed sniper, she fills a role that most of those types of players won't touch because they have no interest in actually helping the team, lol.

Your right. I don't care if people use Hanzo or Widow. But switching heroes is essential in Overwatch. Specially with payload maps you get stuck sometimes and then some need to switch to counter the enemy. Usually a Hanzo or Widow is useless on some areas.

The thing is that if people are asked to switch they take it too personally. You can be a very good Hanzo AND switch when needed.

Hell even healers switch to adjust to a certain situation. Why is it so hard for Hanzo players to switch?

leng jai

Been using Mei in the last few matches. Her ulti is incredible, I need to nail that double head shot though to really be effective with her.

MCD

Been using Mei in the last few matches. Her ulti is incredible, I need to nail that double head shot though to really be effective with her.

I played a game just now with a Mei who headshotted Tracer three times in a row he made him throw and go Torb.

I love having a good Mei in our team.

Also just queued up with two diamond friends and we we had masters in our team same goes for the enemy team.

No healer. Checking everyone stats and nope. Not a single healer in our team. GG

Ok. I will be your Mercy guys

A minute later and dead. No one communicate. No one protects you.

To top it off I got disconnected but it was very brief so managed to get back quickly. Payload was near the end so I said fuck it I ain't gonna be your guardian angel. Time for my boy Zen!

We managed to do it with a solo healer vs their lucio/zen and sometimes Mercy. Felt sooooo goood.

I love Zen.

edgefusion

I am really sick of this shitty new loot system. Getting garbage white white blue white over and over but no coins to buy what I want.

Chance

I've heard that Junkrat's mines on the PTR had their damage reduced to 90 each, but that wasn't in the PTR patch notes. Can anyone confirm?

LiK

Omg

So that's why I only disconnect at the same time every night.

Comcast did that to me a couple times a week after 11pm. Hasn't happened once in the months since I switched to FiOS.

I use Comcast as well and it happens most often on the weekends around 1:30AM-2:30AM. I've chosen those times not to play Comp. But yea, it's inconsistent on when they do it sometimes. Pretty annoying. I think I'll switch to FiOS in the future.

I am really sick of this shitty new loot system. Getting garbage white white blue white over and over but no coins to buy what I want.

My last 15 boxes all had dupes. I haven't gotten anything new. I think if the next two weekly lootboxes gives me all dupes, I'll buy another skin to see if that resets or fixes the issue.

edgefusion

I've actually had more legendary drops than before the change.

What sucks is people's luck is completely random lol

I only want the McCree skin, that's it. With the previous loot system I would have had enough coins to buy it by now, but with this system I'm not even halfway saved up. Great thing I got all those Bastion voice lines though :eyeroll:

Ramirez

We mostly treat him like the troll he is. The PC discord tends to be pretty chill on most days, the worst we normally have is some pretty straightforward shit talking. Some people do tend to rag on the OT thread a bit since there are differently minded people about.

I don't really rag on the thread that much, I just stopped posting cause I'm still on indefinite hiatus from Overwatch and the thread isn't really a place to talk about what I observe. I've been binge playing LoL and PUBG lately instead.

I mean, I get it. I watched the same happen in the Halo thread back when Halo was really popular and relevant. I was in the "discord crowd" of that community. It is what it is, people will never all get along, and there will always be people that post more than they should, or maybe have not popular opinions.

I just hate seeing people rag on others opinions because they choose to play on console, it's just a game, who cares? I've always thought the communities should have been split, probably would have been the best for everyone.

I was so excited for the loot box update, sounded really cool, they finally listened to a complaint of mine!

lol. >_<

Now I just get nothing, spray spray spray junk and 0 coins to actually buy the item I want like I use to have to do during events cause of my shitty luck with getting the actual item.

So now I still don't get anything I want from loot boxes, and at this rate wont get enough coins to force buy the item either before the event ends.

Woops, monkey paw'ed indeed.

Anne

I just hate seeing people rag on others opinions because they choose to play on console, it's just a game, who cares? I've always thought the communities should have been split, probably would have been the best for everyone.

I'm firmly in the camp of giving absolutely zero fucks about console anything in this game. I've said before that when I talk, I'm only talking about PC and am not going to bother to try to talk about console because I don't care and I definitely am not qualified to talk about console since I've never really played it. I don't mean to shit on console players by saying that. What I am saying is that conversations around the console version are something I shouldn't be a part of.

That gets kinda odd when I'm in a thread of a lot of PS4 players though.

LiK

I'm firmly in the camp of giving absolutely zero fucks about console anything in this game. I've said before that when I talk, I'm only talking about PC and am not going to bother to try to talk about console because I don't care and I definitely am not qualified to talk about console since I've never really played it. I don't mean to shit on console players by saying that. What I am saying is that conversations around the console version are something I shouldn't be a part of.

No difference to me in the grand scheme of things when it comes to our general experiences. Most of the OW YouTubers I watch only play on PC and many players here have played on both platforms with some migrating over to PC. The only major difference are people's experiences in the different ranks that they're playing in.

We may disagree at times about certain heroes but I always appreciated your posts here.

Mr Git

The console and PC versions aren't so totally different that anything you say about the game is useless to console players though. Some of the comments, insight and advice I've seen you post have been easily applicable to the console version too so still appreciated! Although endgame for me is to be playing on PC once I've upgraded my POS.

Ramirez

Yea, I wasn't implying you do that. It's all good.

I was so excited for the loot box update, sounded really cool, they finally listened to a complaint of mine!

lol. >_<

Now I just get nothing, spray spray spray junk and 0 coins to actually buy the item I want like I use to have to do during events cause of my shitty luck with getting the actual item.

So now I still don't get anything I want from loot boxes, and at this rate wont get enough coins to force buy the item either before the event ends.

Woops, monkey paw'ed indeed.

The problem is that the loot box dupe correction should have happened a long time ago. Now everyone is being inundated with all the blues and whites they never got as the system is correcting itself. When previously when you got blues and whites they were all dupes - if the loot algorithm had been correct then you'd be having more new ones and the dupes would gradually increase over time. Instead what happened was you got about 50% of the most common items and then started getting nothing but dupes with an occasional new common item for a good chunk of time, now you're going to get the other 50% all at once. Once everything evens out and you have more of the blues and whites already the dupe rate should reset back to a comfortable amount of gold acquiring.

But in the mean time, yeah it sucks. At the very least I haven't gotten a legendary dupe since the new algorithm was put in place.

I think most overall discussion can be applied across both console and PC. Positioning on maps, strategies versus certain heroes, which heroes are on meta vs off meta, those kinds of things.

The only thing that doesn't translate well is things that are directly related to the mouse & keyboard's better response time vs. console controllers. Like, when somebody says the best Tracer strategy is to blink through an enemy and then do a quick 180 and blast 'em. That's really hard to do properly on console because quick turns are not as fluid. Same goes for the D.Va discussion I had a few pages back. On console she may be fine because she can't instantly turn and DM from any direction, but good D.Vas on PC can pretty much aim anywhere and DM, so cross-platform balance discussions in that aspect could lead to frustration.

Speaking of which, Blizzard really dropped the ball on adjusting things specifically to console vs PC, huh.

pizzacat

Banned
Live Junkrat is still a trashfire of a character that is generally not worth picking. He has some niche and gimmick uses now, but it's not something that is super consistent. In soloq he's pretty bad just by nature of soloq(I feel he's better in organized play), but his damage can hurt teams that make big mistakes. There's always a better ladder option, but in rare cases it's fine.

PTR Junkrat is a lot better, but still probably niche. We're still in mobility dominated hell, and just slapping more mobility onto him isn't going to make him compete with Genji or Tracer. It just makes him better at doing what he does and dealing with people jumping on top of him.

He'll prolly be viable with the PTR change, but not anywhere near the current mainline DPS line up. There'd need to be a shift away from the mobile tanks that's stronger than like what Zarya is doing atm.
I don't think you've seen my junkrat yet

Let me carry

(You're silver right? That's where I'm at)

LiK

Double mine is gonna be so good. Already watched videos for some great strats with the buff. Please go live soon.

LiK

That second mine is gonna make junk even more popular. Not looking forward to having Hanzo and Junk on my team in every game lol

You have me for Junk and xCobalt for Hanzo (he's an amazing Hanzo). No worries. You only need to worry about Owzers playing DF.

exYle

Official gaf discord statement:

Something something Cybernaton is a douche, but I would like to condemn violence on both sides :trumpW:. Please feel free to come to the Discord where you will get made fun of for loving the junk but can hit back in real time and be toxic towards the platinum manchild CybernatonEvolution. Plus we have like 5 GM players who can give you tips on how to git gud.

Sincerely caesar Trump and Anne Pence

It took you this long to release an official condemnation?!

This administration is ruining OW-GAF

Nimby

Banned
Doomfist is super strong. Libero was going off with him in Apex yesterday. They would have full held because of him if they didn't C9.

Doomfist always one hit kills me when I'm dps. I'm not even kidding. He's like a blue shell that never misses. He's adversely affected my experience with OW. I don't like him and I want him nerfed the fuck down and when he is I will laugh and drink tears.

LiK

Doomfist always one hit kills me when I'm dps. I'm not even kidding. He's like a blue shell that never misses. He's adversely affected my experience with OW. I don't like him and I want him nerfed the fuck down and when he is I will laugh and drink tears.

Which DPS do you usually play and how do you engage DF?

Which DPS do you usually play and how do you engage DF?

Soldier and Reaper. When I'm Soldier I always engage from a distance but DF homing missile closes the distance and he messes me up. As Reaper I'm flanking and he's always waiting around a corner to get me.

That Tiger uppercut and ground pound is too much for my analog thumbs to keep up with too.

LiK

Soldier and Reaper. When I'm Soldier I always engage from a distance but DF homing missile closes the distance and he messes me up. As Reaper I'm flanking and he's always waiting around a corner to get me.

That Tiger uppercut and ground pound is too much for my analog thumbs to keep up with too.

Oh, Reaper is a real issue for me when I play as DF mainly cuz the Wraith form can totally bait the punch and Ult. If you hold onto them when engaging him, you can really mess up DF upclose.

Soldier engagement seems fine altho probably better to simply sprint away if he gets close and hope he targets someone else while you shoot him from a distance. I don't find DF too much of an issue so far. Not many good ones especially in Comp.

Ramirez

A Reaper on the other team usually means I'm switching off DF, lol.

Got the ole "3 DPS is fine" treatment earlier and I still somehow manage silver damage as Winston as we got our ass kicked, lol.

Anne

Mentioned it in the discord, but a main reason I don't play OW atm is that it's the most toxic game I've ever played at this point. I made it through LoL, CSGO, XBL in the early 360 era, and the FGC at large. OW is easily the most consistently toxic in games and in the community I have ever experienced. It's a real bummer.

I'm a low-SR console player, but I love reading what high-level PC players think about the game, how their strategies differ, or just how they're feeling about how things are going overall with Overwatch. It all trickles down eventually.

Most of my Twitch follows are Top500 PC Zens, and I learn a lot watching them, even if they're exponentially better than me.

Mentioned it in the discord, but a main reason I don't play OW atm is that it's the most toxic game I've ever played at this point. I made it through LoL, CSGO, XBL in the early 360 era, and the FGC at large. OW is easily the most consistently toxic in games and in the community I have ever experienced. It's a real bummer.
It's getting so bad that I have to turn off team chat sometimes. A shame.

xCobalt

You have me for Junk and xCobalt for Hanzo (he's an amazing Hanzo). No worries. You only need to worry about Owzers playing DF.

Thanks! I got a few games in last night with other gaffers. We didn't do too great but it was fun nonetheless.

I can see where you're coming from. I think the severity of it comes from the fact that it stems from teammates. With fighting games and console shooters, it usually comes from the opponent and isn't really detrimental to your performance. Overwatch on the other hand, is objective and team-based. A toxic player will affect five others.

It's kind of sad since Overwatch is really the first competitive multiplayer game I've enjoyed in a long time. What contributes to it being more toxic than anything else? Is it just Blizzard's atrocious management of reporting? Or do you think it has something to do with the medal system and everyone thinking they're awesome and everyone else is to blame?

Anne

It's kind of sad since Overwatch is really the first competitive multiplayer game I've enjoyed in a long time. What contributes to it being more toxic than anything else? Is it just Blizzard's atrocious management of reporting? Or do you think it has something to do with the medal system and everyone thinking they're awesome and everyone else is to blame?

1. The queue system is garbage. Role select is a huge source of toxicity. Everything being Dynamic queue starts toxicity over stacks and abuse. The crazy ranking system gives people bad ideas.

2. The report system is a joke. If somebody throws even twice, they should be banned all season. Period. Do it again next season, perma. Etc. Having things go unpunished for so long is absurd.

3. Blizzard didn't give players the tools to learn the game, and the community perception of what to expect from teammates is so wildly variable you never know what you're going to get.

4. Did I mention you can throw 10 game sin a row, go on insane tirades, and even just leave with no penalty? The reporting system is a joke.

5. The idea that the medal system is less toxic than just a scoreboard is one of the greatest jokes ever told.

6. Somebody called me a faggot about 100 times while jumping off the map as Torb 2 games in a row. He got mass reported and only received a chat ban. The reporting system is a joke.

7. There's literally no incentive for being nice. Other games allow you to actually say "this dude was nice" and then they eventually get rewarded. The end screen of OW just shows the highest hidden stat lines and says "vote for nothing" while everybody leaves the lobby.

8. Did I mention the reporting system literally doesn't function correctly?

Ultimately, the fact that Blizzard allowed all this shit to fester for so long while going "Our systems are fine and don't promote toxicity" is really insane and just led to this. It's like when a bunch of children realize that their parents/teacher/whatever left and won't be coming back for a period of time. Once they know they can get away with it, they just keep doing it and it spreads. This could have been handled awhile ago as people started to point out the increase in toxic behavior, but Blizzard in their infinite wisdom decided things were okay to continue as is.

HMD

Burn out in comp is fucking real, support and tank mains play DPS every single game, it's fucking QP 2.0 in here. If you want a real game, play in a 6 stack, only 6 stacks give a shit.

Gorillaz

The medal system is some real preschool "we want everyone to feel important" trophy shit. It's one of the worst ways to show actual progress in this game. It rubbed me the wrong way since launch.

Sometimes your just ass. We all been there.

Cappa

Banned

Ultimately, the fact that Blizzard allowed all this shit to fester for so long while going "Our systems are fine and don't promote toxicity" is really insane and just led to this. It's like when a bunch of children realize that their parents/teacher/whatever left and won't be coming back for a period of time. Once they know they can get away with it, they just keep doing it and it spreads. This could have been handled awhile ago as people started to point out the increase in toxic behavior, but Blizzard in their infinite wisdom decided things were okay to continue as is.

Well imagine console, minus text chat and without absolutely no reporting system. You can do absolutely whatever you want, whenever you want however you want. I agree with you on all the points and partly why ive made little effort to try to transition to PC because it just seems like the same shit wrong with console even if it is the better game. My interest is also no where near it was a month or so ago.

LiK

6-stacks is the only way. You don't need to worry about people throwing or trolling. People might still tilt, but it's better than anything with randoms.

Top Bottom