• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War |OT| Attempted Mordor

But...what about the Palantir?? Palantir this, Palntir that, Palantir, Palantir, Palantirrrrrrrrr!!!!

how could i forget? :) ...

all the enjoyment to be found in this game is with the orcs (including bruz & ratbag), the nemesis system, & capturing the strongholds. everything else (the cute couple from gondor, the galadriel rip-off, & 'zog'?! (smh) ) is just terrible. which's very likely why i think the first game was superior: it focused solely on where the fun was...

HariKari

You need to capture the forts to continue the Bruz quests I think

I've captured two.

I thought he was going to be the default bodyguard or something along those lines, but he only played a part in the first siege so far.

The red cities/outposts on the world map are just for lore/decoration, right?

bugulu

I get to chapter 4 and I don't get..
do I need to defend the fortress over and over forever? os is there a proper ending?

Whole Act 4 have
10 stages. All in total of 20 fortress battles. The last stage will have you defend all four of your forts. If you complete all of them, you get the true ending.

SaucyJack

Just finished stage 6 of shadow wars and holy fuck are some of these later stages difficult

Haven't lost one yet, but pretty much all my level 48+ captains plus there bodyguards end up dying, it's like dynasty warriors level of death.

Almost lost one when I was up against a level 55 berserker . He was the final warchief and I had no second chances left, he got me down on the ground and was about to execute me, but then one of my level 33 saviours came out of knowhere and beat him to death and I defended the fort

Same, just finished stage 6 as well and getting a bit fed up with it.

Jumeira

Banned
I think people are morally conflicted about orcs & slavery here, even some of the orcs before they die mention they're being used by one force or another, how the ranger is another Sauron, certainly got me thinking lol. Well played by the devs for throwing that angle in there.

Im still on Act 2, trying to recruit captains for my first seige, but man, all the captains levels are too high, some even 1 hit kill me. Getting my arse kicked, not sure what to do tbh.

The amount of killing animations boggles my mind, and the quality of these deaths are something else too. A common feeling from playing this game is being overwhelmed, these death animations is contributes to that.

This game was a solid 6/10 for me maybe even 5/10. Shadow of Mordor was 8/10.

Too much janky and buggy bullshit in this game.

Also the whole act 4 defending your fortresses just gets boring as fuck and fighting the same type of captains with their SHITTY trash mobs that just spawns out of thin air is just shit to me.

Game is fun is some parts but there's too much shit in it for me to enjoy it fully. Defending points in fortresses are just lulz. Your AI captains are complete shit as well. And killing the enemy captains the higher up you go in these battles are just bullshit with all shit trash mobs that are fucking everywhere who interrupts you when you try and dominate or heal.

The sieges in this game that they touted so much about before launch is the poorest part of the game along with the dragons. The fight with the balrog was another janky shit fest with the dragon.

I havent cursed so much out of frustration than i have in this game in a long long time. Another annoying thing? Wanna dominate a captain infront of you well your lucky if Talion wants to target that instead of something random behind you like a caragor or some other SHIT.

Pheace

I havent cursed so much out of frustration than i have in this game in a long long time. Another annoying thing? Wanna dominate a captain infront of you well your lucky if Talion wants to target that instead of something random behind you like a caragor or some other SHIT.

Or you could just shadow dominate

There is a lot to do in this game. It's almost overwhelming coming from the first game.

I had it on Nemesis difficulty but couldn't get past the second Overlord tower. You almost have to have the higher abilities unlocked to beat the guy. Oh, and spears are your worst enemy in the highest difficulty. I noticed when I finally turned it back to normal I would only get a few arrow/spear icons during major combat fights.

After toning the difficulty down, I'm finally enjoying the game a lot more. Maybe I can ramp it back up once I get some more abilities like the upgraded shadow strike and mounting abilities.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War Definitive Edition Announced for PS4, Xbox One, PC

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment has announced Middle-earth: Shadow of War Definitive Edition for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC. It will launch on August 28 in North America and August 31 in Europe for $59.99 / £49.99.

Here is an overview of the game:

Middle-earth: Shadow of War Definitive Edition is the most comprehensive version of last year’s epic, open world action game where players forge a new Ring of Power, conquer fortresses in massive battles and dominate Mordor with their own personal Orc army, all brought to life by the award-winning Nemesis System. Developed by Monolith Productions, Middle-earth: Shadow of War Definitive Edition will include the main game packaged together with all downloadable content (DLC), free updates, and improvements.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War Definitive Edition will feature the main game, along with the full Expansion Pass, including additional story campaigns, missions, playable characters, Orc tribes, weapons, abilities, enemies, a new region and much more.

• Middle-earth: Shadow of War Main Game
  • Slaughter Tribe Nemesis Expansion
  • Outlaw Tribe Nemesis Expansion
  • Blade of Galadriel Story Expansion
  • Desolation of Mordor Story Expansion
Additionally, Middle-earth: Shadow of War Definitive Edition will bring together a multitude of different enhancements and free content updates, from a richer campaign experience and streamlined post-game Epilogue to new player skins and the complete removal of the market, in addition to hundreds of other improvements since the release of Middle-earth: Shadow of War. A snapshot of the updates available for players includes:

• Market Closure: Complete removal of the market and microtransactions.
  • Updated Post-Game: Streamlined post-game Epilogue (formerly Shadow Wars) with new narration from Shelob, the Witch-king and Dark Talion, plus new Masks of the Nazgûl player rewards.
  • Nemesis System Enhancements: Numerous improvements bringing further depth to combat encounters and player interactions, along with added traits and behaviours for Orc enemies, more Legendary Orcs to encounter and more ways to get Training Orders.
  • Powering Up: Follower level cap has been increased to 80, enemy Captain level cap has been increased to 85, greater XP rewards, new Prestige skills, upgrades and more.
  • Gear Upgrades: Players can now use Mirian to raise the level of a piece of gear to their current level and use gems to re-roll abilities.
  • Skins: Added player skins for Celebrimbor, Eltariel, Dark Eltariel, Baranor and Serka.
  • Online Pit Fights & Conquests: Added search feature to challenge specific players’ Overlords and fortresses in Friendly Mode.
  • Endless Siege: Added feature to defend fortresses against never-ending waves of Sauron’s forces.
  • Rebellion: Added feature to crush rebel Ologs and Uruks who undermine the Bright Lord.
  • Photo Mode Upgrades: Capture every battle with new filters, frames and textures
  • Difficulty Levels: Added Brutal and Gravewalker difficulty levels.
  • Player Stats: Added player stats page to track in-game enemy kills, dominations and betrayals.
Please note that content beyond the main game is not pre-loaded on disc and requires an online connection to download.

Rikkori

Finally got around to this, and boy am I enjoying it despite its flaws. Coming off the back of TLOU2 that was a toxic sludge cocktail this feels like a refreshing, clear spring water. It purifies the soul.

Just wish the lighting wasn't so flat, but, hey-ho.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Finally got around to this, and boy am I enjoying it despite its flaws. Coming off the back of TLOU2 that was a toxic sludge cocktail this feels like a refreshing, clear spring water. It purifies the soul.

Just wish the lighting wasn't so flat, but, hey-ho.

It's a great game, but if anything, there's too much content. It's enormous. I've been thinking about getting back to it.

Last edited:

Rikkori

It's a great game, but if anything, there's too much content. It's enormous. I've been thinking about getting back to it.

Agreed, the infinite spawn is the main drawback for me, same as for SoM, and why I put it off for so long. I usually like to methodically clear areas in games so in this case I had to re-think my playstyle entirely because you just can't do that here.

Enjoying the open-ended gameplay though. Was hoping I'd be distracted with DS & HZD by now but they keep getting pushed back, so I gotta get my fill of that type of gameplay elsewhere.

Mjordan23

Neo Member
Finished the game and all the DLC`s a couple of months ago. Great game, no doubt. So addictive, killing captains is just so satisfying. Combat is also excellent,

kingbean

I just started playing not to long ago. I rarely finish games, but I'll stick with this game for as long as I can. It's good fun.

A.Romero

I really like the series. Played Shadow of War last year and enjoyed it. It's fun although I felt like the gameplay loop got a bit tiresome towards the end (I think it took me around 20 hours to finis the main story).

The story was a bit forced in my opinion but it was a fun experience all around. Really liked capturing bodyguards and having them do some fighting.

I wish modern Asscreed was a bit more like this game in regards to fighting but they went another route.

Jumped on it after the microtransactions were modified and I'm not a completionist so I'm not sure if the game economy was actually fucked.

Rikkori

I wish modern Asscreed was a bit more like this game in regards to fighting but they went another route.

Hah, while playing this I wished this game was more like Odyssey. I found the combat in that to be more satisfying from the get-go. SoW expands more later on but I kinda like AC's simplicity & heft.

A.Romero

Hah, while playing this I wished this game was more like Odyssey. I found the combat in that to be more satisfying from the get-go. SoW expands more later on but I kinda like AC's simplicity & heft.

Well, the last AC I have played is Origins. I like AC games but to me the combat back in Brotherhood was the best. I think rewarding timing with one hit kills is a good idea.

The RPG inclination AC took recently is not really my cup of tea (although I still like the series a lot).

Top Bottom