• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

What I dislike is when repeating fights while trying to get 4/4 rewards, you'll run into times where instead you'll get 20 iso for winning and this happened like 6-7 times in a row on one fight. For tougher battles, this is a real pain.

If my math is correct, the chances of not getting the last reward in 6 or 7 fights is roughly 18% or 13%. In practice, that percentage can feel really really huge. :p

ToxicAdam

Yea, I hada bad run of luck with those 3/4 missions this morning. Ran about 8 of them and didn't get anything.

I've claimed every cover in the SP mode except for Dakan (don't feel like having to expand my covers for him) and most of the 50 gold ones. So, now I'm just trying to get odds and ends.

I've actually made pretty good progress in the Dark Avenger event (450 pts) with a crappy team (Bullseye, Yelena, Venom). Which was enough to get that red Ms. Marvel cover. Not much incentive to go on past that.

redcrayon

Are there further missions after the Prologue section in the main campaign yet? I'm really struggling to get through the last story missions there, with level 50 enemies.

redcrayon

Yeah, I'm on the Dark Avengers story missions and ran into lv54 Daken and lv40 Venom, also three lv40 minions in another encounter. I've spent a fair bit of time in the tournaments and shield training, and have a pretty good main team of Classic Spider-Man (for group healing), Classic Storm (for counter-attacks) and Iron Man (raw damage), but I've run into the issue of finding it hard to get new covers for Storm and Spidey, which limits their potential, also Iron Man caps out fairly early anyway.

It's a real shame that it seems to be so random to get good covers- it would be nice if there was a slim chance of getting covers for your rarer characters every now and then, or at least a greater chance of randomly getting hero points, as I'm not paying more than a couple of quid to advance their skills by buying magic money with real money.

It's also slightly annoying with Spidey that his powers are better with webs on the board, but I haven't seen the cover with the skill that generates webs yet. I've had him paired up with Venom for comedy web-based antics though, that works well.

ToxicAdam

Are there further missions after the Prologue section in the main campaign yet? I'm really struggling to get through the last story missions there, with level 50 enemies.

A leveled up two-star Storm and Thor really shine in these missions. You should focus on getting their covers and spending ISO on get them up to level 20-30.

(Although, with the latest upgrade its probably harder to get enough two-star Storm covers to get make her viable. Not sure).

Storm with her passive that can hit for 400-600 every time you get hit.

redcrayon

Thanks, yeah, that's the Storm I'm using, I have her at level 30, but getting new covers is tough. She murders enemy teams with high-strength area attacks like pyro troopers, as both her teammates get damaged then she counters for 600/600/600 and 600/600/600, it's just a case of hanging on till they use their special move then I win!

I suspect classic Storm might be first in line for rebalancing in another update, but she is a bit of a glass cannon, and you have to be careful to make sure it's her teammates that get hit with single high-strength attacks and not her.

gabbre

Here's my actual team. It's really hard to train the main team and the other characters

jVVba9GunfwzJ.png

Triz

My tip for high level tournaments. Level the shit out of two star storm. I realized very early that her passive counterattck decimates teams.

ToxicAdam

My tip for high level tournaments. Level the shit out of two star storm. I realized very early that her passive counterattck decimates teams.

You don't want to go too crazy, because if Storm is so much higher than your other teammates, than she will represent every tile on your board. Which means she will constantly be taking a beating.

That's why it's good to bring a high level Thor or Widow to take some of the punishment.

--- /// ---

My best tip for high level tournaments is too use your winnings to ALWAYS buy '+3 All bonuses'. Over the course of three battles you will usually win about 280 ISO, which is enough to keep buying more '+3 Bonus' cards as you run out.

With that +3 head start, you can make a few blue matches, enable Widow's 5 turn freeze and freeze out your opponents highest level character. Those 5 turns will give you time to erase 1 or 2 of his other characters.

The big killer in PVP matches are when +40 lvl characters make simple matches and take 90-140 hps each time.

Oh man!

I did that new Unstable ISO Match today and was like "EASY?? There's three 20 level Dark Avengers WTFFFFF."

Get ready for a surprise. :)

redcrayon

Yeah, a few of us have noticed that, she's quite powerful. Her attack does only go off if her allies get hit for >20% health, so, when fighting minions, make sure she isn't in front if a single attack is about to go off. You also need to make sure she survives a group attack in order to be able to counter, which is another reason to make sure she isn't matching colours for more damage than the rest of the team- you don't want her in front having her hit points constantly ground down when she doesn't start with that many and you are planning on taking rocket and flamethrower hits!

As noted above, storm v storm is hilarious :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
This week's ISO-8 sp arc has me convinced I've made a huuuuge mistake in not keeping and fully upgrading Juggernaut when I had the chance, damn.
Now's definitely too late or that I guess

AVclub

By the way, Bag Man is good for locking down those exploding damage bombs some of the higher level henchmen throw at you. I thought he was shitty too initially, but having the ability to swap any two tiles or simply lock countdown tiles is great to have. Plus he has a decend HP number.

Edit: Just tried this out for myself by doing the Red ISO8 mission labeled as "Impossible" with no power ups. With lvl 16 Bagman, lvl 39 Iron Man, lvl 36 Thor, I beat it on the first try using the swap and web lock powers.

ToxicAdam

By the way, Bag Man is good for locking down those exploding damage bombs some of the higher level henchmen throw at you. I thought he was shitty too initially, but having the ability to swap any two tiles or simply lock countdown tiles is great to have. Plus he has a decend HP number.

Edit: Just tried this out for myself by doing the Red ISO8 mission labeled as "Impossible" with no power ups. With lvl 16 Bagman, lvl 39 Iron Man, lvl 36 Thor, I beat it on the first try using the swap and web lock powers.

I'll give him a shot.

Two-star Magneto (white cover) has a chance at being valuable in this regard as a few of his powers allow you to target individual tiles. He's hard to get though. I got lucky and pulled two of his covers from freebie Heroic tokens.

Wait, this requires an Internet connection even in single-player? I live in a major city and I can't play a portable game on the subway? Fuck that. Too bad, because I was actually really enjoying what I'd played.

Dash Kappei

I basically stopped spending coins for characters, I only use them to buy more slots (up to 14 iirc)

Anyway, anybody knows why the game doesn't let me upgrade my Storm Modern character anymore? O_O
I don't really use her besides low level PVP (she's lev9 and most of my characters are 20s/30s) but it's pissing me nontheless :p
Is there's maybe some unwritten rule about a powers/exp level ratio you need to follow?

So, lev8 with maxed out green and red powers, while she's 3/5 on black (transform in attack tiles). I've earned another storm modern cover with black powa, "cool" I think, let's spend that card so that I've almost maxed her out... but when I go to do that my "train" icon below the black power is greyed out (can't even upgrade spending money) and a message pops out saying I can't upgrade her powers anymore.

I've maxed out plenty of characters, maybe she has a restriction of some sort? Or I need to level her up with ISOs some more before I'll be able to train her powers again? Don't wanna waste ISOs and then find out she's gonna stay that way.

Or maybe a bug? Do you guys have a maxed out Modern Storm? If yes, what level is she?

Dawg

Just downloaded this but it says "Preview Edition" on the start screen (Android).

Correct version, right?

gabbre

Welp, I'm not going to even look at the "Leaving Brazil" ISO-8 mission again. Ouch.
I've tried it 10 times (thanks for the medikits GAF), it's fucking impossible. One time I was so close, only one guy left with 400 health, but he used the fucking machine gun.

I basically stopped spending coins for characters, I only use them to buy more slots (up to 14 iirc)

Anyway, anybody knows why the game doesn't let me upgrade my Storm Modern character anymore? O_O
I don't really use her besides low level PVP (she's lev9 and most of my characters are 20s/30s) but it's pissing me nontheless :p
Is there's maybe some unwritten rule about a powers/exp level ratio you need to follow?

So, lev8 with maxed out green and red powers, while she's 3/5 on black (transform in attack tiles). I've earned another storm modern cover with black powa, "cool" I think, let's spend that card so that I've almost maxed her out... but when I go to do that my "train" icon below the black power is greyed out (can't even upgrade spending money) and a message pops out saying I can't upgrade her powers anymore.

I've maxed out plenty of characters, maybe she has a restriction of some sort? Or I need to level her up with ISOs some more before I'll be able to train her powers again? Don't wanna waste ISOs and then find out she's gonna stay that way.

Or maybe a bug? Do you guys have a maxed out Modern Storm? If yes, what level is she?
Happened the same with Iron Man (5 red - 4 yellow - 4 blue) I can't upgrade it with new covers. I don't know why, maybe there's a limit.
EDIT: I found an answer in the official forum http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69
Just downloaded this but it says "Preview Edition" on the start screen (Android).

Correct version, right?
Yep

Yaari

Fun game but I've reached the point where I have too much characters and am really not sure who to keep. I'll list them in hope someone can tell me who to get rid off. I followed instructions and used all my money for slots. I don't really want to do IAP for this game.

I'll make a fake Facebook because anything helps.

Black Widow - Modern
Hawkeye - Classic
Iron Man - Model 35
Juggernaut - Classic
Daken - Dark Avengers Wolverine
Spier-Man - Bag-Man
Black Widow - Grey Suit
captain America - Modern
Hawkeye - Modern
Storm - Classic

Hope anyone can help. Also a suggested combo would be nice. I usually just throw something together, not really any clue. Game is pretty difficult I must say.

I got rid of Hawkeye Classic. Couldn't justify his 1-star rating with how weak he is. I get more use out of Storm and Black Widow.

Dash Kappei

I've tried it 10 times (thanks for the medikits GAF), it's fucking impossible. One time I was so close, only one guy left with 400 health, but he used the fucking machine gun.

Happened the same with Iron Man (5 red - 4 yellow - 4 blue) I can't upgrade it with new covers. I don't know why, maybe there's a limit.
EDIT: I found an answer in the official forum http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69

Yep

Wow, thanks for the find man, that is some bullshit that something so important is not properly highlighted.

For unaware players:

POWERS CAP

Code:
[B]Power cap varies depending on the maximum level attainable by a character
and the number of powers the cover card has.[/b]

There is a combined limit to how much your Powers can be raised.
The levels of all your Powers cannot exceed your character's Potential Max.
For example:
if a character's Potential Max is 50 and he has 3 Powers, he cannot have 3 level 20 powers since
3 x 20 = 60 is greater the Potential Max.
He will have to settle for something like 15, 15, and 20.
Which with the new powers rank means 3/3/5.

Black Widow - Modern
Hawkeye - Classic
Iron Man - Model 35
Juggernaut - Classic
Daken - Dark Avengers Wolverine
Spier-Man - Bag-Man
Black Widow - Grey Suit
captain America - Modern
Hawkeye - Modern
Storm - Classic

say.

I find Daken pretty useless, maybe I don't know how to use him. Found maxed out classic Hawkeye useful as his primary ability is a good counter to getting rid of enemy countdown timers and clearing rows. Some people seem to like bag man for the same reasons (countering) but I didn't find him useful.

I like Cap, Iron man (power), storm(counter power) both widows (one power/ap steal and one stun ability). Modern Hawkeye I haven't really work a lot with yet.

I'm finding Daken pretty useless as well. I wish we had more opportunities to get hero coins. I learned quickly to use coins on hero slots. I am pretty pleased overall with the support and little events that the game has received. I was worried it would be the same single player campaign and then just the multiplayer arena. Haven't run into any glitches or freezes or anything. Glad they do the daily bonuses and stuff. So overall pleasantly surprised how much I like the game. Perhaps a large amount is the fact that it's marvel though.

georly

I hate games that remind me to play them on my phone. I dont like getting random notices to do something. I didnt really dig deep into it, but is there a way to shut all that nonsense off?

Dash Kappei

I hate games that remind me to play them on my phone. I dont like getting random notices to do something. I didnt really dig deep into it, but is there a way to shut all that nonsense off?

Considering besides music and sfx those are the only things you'll find under "options"...
yeah, you can turn off every push notification

Re:Daken

I dunno, I find that him together with Thor (Red power: damage plus turns red tiles into yellows) to be quite a pain in the ass: the fucker keeps getting is health back, you're pretty much forced to take out the other two characters and leave him last to avoid wasting the damage you deal each turn

Bagman I find fucking useless but it's prolly cause I don't know how to use him well, I mean in the deck-building aspect of the game; the combos you can do with only 3 characters are pretty cool, and deep, obviously nothing approaching Magic TG's levels of depth but it seems to be more thought out and balanced than what I'had noticed at first, plus you have the whole f2p business at the core which makes it even more impressive to me that the result doesn't suck balls

heringer

I'm finding Daken pretty useless as well. I wish we had more opportunities to get hero coins. I learned quickly to use coins on hero slots. I am pretty pleased overall with the support and little events that the game has received. I was worried it would be the same single player campaign and then just the multiplayer arena. Haven't run into any glitches or freezes or anything. Glad they do the daily bonuses and stuff. So overall pleasantly surprised how much I like the game. Perhaps a large amount is the fact that it's marvel though.

Daken is freacking beast. He replaced my Iron-Man.

Trust me, when you get 2 strike tiles per green match doing 22 damage each, by a few turns your attacks are doing massive damage, which multiply like crazy on combos. I have downed a bunch of characters in one turn with combos stacking up. My Daken is level 39 right now, I love him.

Daken and Bag-Man are underrated. Iron-Man is great in the beginning, but when you get Thor he loses a lot of his usefulness because they are similar except Thor is superior in every way, so it's better to have a character with different colors in his place. He's a good substitute for when your Thor is down though.

I'm training a Venom right now because I have a feeling his powers will be super overpowered if paired with Spider-Man.

AVclub

Has anyone beaten that In Brazil mission?

I beat the "Stolen Goods" and "Leaving Brazil" missions on the first try each even though they say "Impossible" I used my two heaviest hitters Thor and Iron Man along with Bagman at level 20. Funny thing is, even though it seems really hard to beat "Leaving Brazil" the first time, once you beat it, it turns into an ACTUALLY insane challenge. You have to go up against Daken(69), Muscle(150), and Bullseye(69)! I can't imagine how hard that Muscle character hits for at level 150, but I'm not going to waste my time trying until I level up quite a bit more.

I'm at 655 of the red ISO-8 right now, and it looks like there's some cool prizes in the next couple hundred points.

I beat the "Stolen Goods" and "Leaving Brazil" missions on the first try each even though they say "Impossible" I used my two heaviest hitters Thor and Iron Man along with Bagman at level 20. Funny thing is, even though it seems really hard to beat "Leaving Brazil" the first time, once you beat it, it turns into an ACTUALLY insane challenge. You have to go up against Daken(69), Muscle(150), and Bullseye(69)! I can't imagine how hard that Muscle character hits for at level 150, but I'm not going to waste my time trying until I level up quite a bit more.

I'm at 655 of the red ISO-8 right now, and it looks like there's some cool prizes in the next couple hundred points.
The insane challenge is the one I'm talking about. Each 3 match for them does 200 damage.

Just beat the Leaving Brazil insane challenge. Storm (Classic) is my go to... Allowed Spidey to take damage, which soon took out Daken and Bullseye with Storm's whirlwind counter.

Got 500 ISO sent out to 3 "Facebook" friends too, which was cool.

redcrayon

Is anyone else finding the shield training tourney to be getting really tough?

I'm seeing some insanely powered teams now, and lost about 200 rating overnight! I'm not sure I can be bothered to put in the time required everyday for your progress not to dip, to get the later rewards.

I lucked out on draws with heroic recruit coins and got two (!) x-force wolverines, so I've now got his strike power (that does damage and destroys a row) and his healing power (countdown to healing). He's really good, obviously, but I can't see how I can upgrade him without ridiculous luck- 2,500 hero coins a go! I feel that I lucked out already just getting those covers to start with...

Obviously they still have plenty to do on the game, and I'm looking forward to dipping into it over the next year or so, but I really don't like that my progress on the shield tourney is based on competing with people who seemingly have a shitload more spare time than me.

Man, losing between matches in Dark Avengers is really infuriating. I got Moonstone but now daily I'm just losing at least 50 points and never able to get much back with just a middle tier DA team.

At this point I'm just hoping I can stay above Rank 150 before the deadline.

Is there anything better to unlock after the first Moonstone at 425 (or something)?

ToxicAdam

Man, losing between matches in Dark Avengers is really infuriating. I got Moonstone but now daily I'm just losing at least 50 points and never able to get much back with just a middle tier DA team.

At this point I'm just hoping I can stay above Rank 150 before the deadline.

Is there anything better to unlock after the first Moonstone at 425 (or something)?

Not really. The 100 gold seems to be about the only thing that is reachable and worth it.

Obviously they still have plenty to do on the game, and I'm looking forward to dipping into it over the next year or so, but I really don't like that my progress on the shield tourney is based on competing with people who seemingly have a shitload more spare time than me.

That's always the downside of F2P PVP modes. There will always be someone that will spend more time/money than you.

The best thing to do is just focus on one reward at a time and work towards that.

I think part of the problem is that high level players are using low level players as fodder to grind ISO quicker since PVP is where you get the best returns.

I thought I'd get the rest of the rewards for an old story mission that was at 1/4. I got 20 ISO four times in a row. 4. Four.

...and then a Venom cover from the recruit token. At least I could actually train him with it.

Sulik2

This game is fantastic. Once you build up a few characters the energy recharge isn't really an issue at all and the gameplay is still that addicting puzzle quest brand. I do wish they would make the 4th reward from a mission have a higher chance of appearing. The rotating tournaments are really fun. The skill change from 20 to 5 was an excellent revision. Best PQ game since maybe PQ1.

Top Bottom