• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

ToxicAdam

What's this all about? I beat an opponent that had promised me 27 points in PvP and this was the result:

That's wierd. I had one happen earlier this morning where I was supposed to get 21 (which would've put me at a reward level) and only got 18.

-- /// --

I had a good run of luck this morning, only had time to do a few matches so I thought I'd try my luck at some 3/4 prologue missions. In consecutive order I got: 50 gold, 50 gold, Standard Token (which netted me a Doctor Doom) and then finally a Daken cover. I guess I can never complain about a bad streak of 20 ISO again.

So, that puts me at a total of 23 covers. I think I'm only missing Grey suit Scarlett and Ragnarok.

AVclub

What's this all about? I beat an opponent that had promised me 27 points in PvP and this was the result:

That happened to me once as well. Not sure why, but I lost out on about 18 points. Anyway, I'm killing it in the Free For All tourney! I want that Iron Man cover!

But if I set up a dummy account for Facebook, doesn't the iPhone automagically link it when I start the process in Puzzle Quest?

EDIT: WTHHH after all that I can't log in to Facebook from Puzzle Quest!!!

Mairu

It's always fun to go to sleep with one rank and then open the app in the morning. I was 2nd place and dropped to like ~40th (120+ points lost!)

UGHHH x2 I'm pretty sure it uses iPhone's automatic embedded Facebook linking and there doesn't appear to be a way to do it manually...

EDIT: Yup. :(

If you are talking about iOS here is how I did it. In my Facebook account settings I removed the Puzzle Quest app. In iPhone Settings > Facebook log out of Facebook.

Launch the Puzzle Quest App, on the home screen, tap the settings gear, tap the Facebook icon, you should get an error that it can't connect or is not authorized.

In iPhone Settings > Facebook, log into Fake Facebook account.

Launch the Puzzle Quest App, on the home screen, tap the settings gear, tap the Facebook icon, you are now authorized with the new account. You can log back into your real Facebook account in Settings > Facebook and the Puzzle Quest will be authorized and connected to your fake account.

omg thank you!!!!

ToxicAdam

They're doing 90 minute lightning tournaments again today. Hopefully I can earn some more The Hood covers.

You can go to your settings and turn on the notifications to alert you when they pop up.

If you are talking about iOS here is how I did it. In my Facebook account settings I removed the Puzzle Quest app. In iPhone Settings > Facebook log out of Facebook.

Launch the Puzzle Quest App, on the home screen, tap the settings gear, tap the Facebook icon, you should get an error that it can't connect or is not authorized.

In iPhone Settings > Facebook, log into Fake Facebook account.

Launch the Puzzle Quest App, on the home screen, tap the settings gear, tap the Facebook icon, you are now authorized with the new account. You can log back into your real Facebook account in Settings > Facebook and the Puzzle Quest will be authorized and connected to your fake account.

Are you sure? I just tried this and there's no check next to Connect With Facebook.

EDIT: I just connected but it was after I relogged into my actual Facebook. No idea which one is logged in now. : /

Uthred

Is there any kind of basic guide out there as the game doesnt exactly have much in the way of information on whats what? (Im also a Puzzle Quest clone virgin so maybe this shit is super obvious)

am_dragon

Are you sure? I just tried this and there's no check next to Connect With Facebook.

EDIT: I just connected but it was after I relogged into my actual Facebook. No idea which one is logged in now. : /

You should be able to verify on Facebook. Is Marvel Puzzle Quest an authorized application on your real Facebook account?

Future

So are there any clearly worthless characters. Initial storm and iron man seem good. Hawk and black widow have their moments. Bag man feels like a joke. Want to sell juggernaut and venom to make room

So are there any clearly worthless characters. Initial storm and iron man seem good. Hawk and black widow have their moments. Bag man feels like a joke. Want to sell juggernaut and venom to make room

I haven't found any characters to be "useless" once they're upgraded a few times.

Juggernaut definitely has his place, as does Venom. The latter's purple web tile + black devour gets pretty powerful once those web tiles become inexpensive.

Black Widow is hugely powerful once you build up her blue stun ability. Stun one opponent for 5 turns and the other two for 1 turn each.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Happened the same to me yesterday. I lost the connection a couple of times during that match so I assumed it had just crapped out a bug/punishment for going offline, now I'm back at square one unless you also had that too

Anyway, I'm currently 1st on my Free For All bracket, I imagine it'll last 10 minutes or something, lol.
I don't really care for Iron Man 40 but those 100 points would be sweet, actually I'm also trying to get to the 500 hero coins prize but I see that as almost impossible unless I play A LOT this day and a half to the end

Uthred

Started again on phone, got the 4 star wolverine, wasnt paying attention when I linked it to Facebook and overwrote it with my shitty bagman from my tablet game. Dem feels.

Happened the same to me yesterday. I lost the connection a couple of times during that match so I assumed it had just crapped out a bug/punishment for going offline, now I'm back at square one unless you also had that too

Anyway, I'm currently 1st on my Free For All bracket, I imagine it'll last 10 minutes or something, lol.
I don't really care for Iron Man 40 but those 100 points would be sweet, actually I'm also trying to get to the 500 hero coins prize but I see that as almost impossible unless I play A LOT this day and a half to the end

When I returned to the main arena screen it looked like I'd also been completely reset, but exiting and returning restored my rank.

I'm 88 in my FFA bracket and I doubt I could climb much higher than 75 if I really tried. It seems like the high reward covers will be out of my reach for some time.

I never seem to do well in Lightning Rounds, but I am getting to the point where I do have two viable mid-30s teams so that's encouraging.

As always, thanks to all the GAFers who helped me wake up to a thousand ISO notifications this morning.

ToxicAdam

I wouldn't sell anybody. There are quite a few tournaments and challenges that restrict you to certain characters (like Dark Avengers only, One star characters only) or give 200% boosts to certain rarely used characters (like Yelena or Juggernaut). Then they become super effective.

Plus, the lower level characters are much easier to level up and get 5 covers for.

I have 6 three star characters, but I never ever use them. They are too limited and too low a level to be of any real use (unless I just use them as bait).

AVclub

This isn't fair! So I've been in the top ten of the Free For All tournament for the last couple of days. I see this one guy beat me, and took away 38 points. If I try to fight him for revenge or whatever, I only get 11 points for beating him. He fights me a second time, takes away another 38 points. Then it offers me revenge again, this time for only 8 points. How am I supposed to keep making up these points if competitors are taking far more point then they are giving?

Future

Yeah problem is that this game was pretty sneaky. I didnt expect the currency to buy new cover slots would change, so I spent those coins rolling for heroes at the start. Buying new slots was using the grind able purple gems at the time and figured if always get those

Now new slots are 100 coins a pop. Really takes away from the collection aspect of the game cuz you run into a wall almost immediately. Now I am avoiding missions that give me new covers and trying to grind out the few coin missions I have left. Plus you don't even know what the price might raise to. That's where the free to play design starts to get "evil"

In puzzles and dragons, another collection match 3 game, rolling for monsters is the most expensive and most valuable thing. In this game, just being able to have a monster is expensive :/ Guess I'm gonna have to grind versus to get more coins

This isn't fair! So I've been in the top ten of the Free For All tournament for the last couple of days. I see this one guy beat me, and took away 38 points. If I try to fight him for revenge or whatever, I only get 11 points for beating him. He fights me a second time, takes away another 38 points. Then it offers me revenge again, this time for only 8 points. How am I supposed to keep making up these points if competitors are taking far more point then they are giving?

I wouldn't fight back against those opponents. They have far fewer overall points than you which is why they get so many versus your pittance. Skip the fight until you find a good battle.

I am sitting around 30 now in my FFA bracket. I did not expect to get that high, but if I can at least get up to 800 I'll get a Cap cover and check out. I'm sure I'll get demolished over the next 36 hours to bump me down a few pegs.

ToxicAdam

You need to look at how many points the opponent has (upper left hand corner).

If you are sitting at 800 and he is at 400, he is going to earn 30-40 each time he hits you and you are only going to get 10-15. You need to avoid fighting those people at all costs when you get up in points.

Just keep cycling opponents until you find ones that are near your point total. Do not retaliate with anyone that is further down the ladder. (Unless you are just grinding for ISO)

AVclub

Yeah problem is that this game was pretty sneaky. I didnt expect the currency to buy new cover slots would change, so I spent those coins rolling for heroes at the start. Buying new slots was using the grind able purple gems at the time and figured if always get those

Now new slots are 100 coins a pop. Really takes away from the collection aspect of the game cuz you run into a wall almost immediately. Now I am avoiding missions that give me new covers and trying to grind out the few coin missions I have left. Plus you don't even know what the price might raise to. That's where the free to play design starts to get "evil"

In puzzles and dragons, another collection match 3 game, rolling for monsters is the most expensive and most valuable thing. In this game, just being able to have a monster is expensive :/ Guess I'm gonna have to grind versus to get more coins

After the first couple of slots, the price goes up to 150 coins, fyi. It sucks, but I broke down and spent some money to get some slots for new covers.

Mononoke

Banned
Just wanted to say I'm loving this game. Just go an iPad Air and have been playing this game the most. But I agree with those saying that the game is sneaky. It pretty much forces your hand at spending real money if you want to keep playing that very day.

Well, to be fair you can always play against other players. I haven't really dipped my foot into that pool, as I'm still learning the ropes. But so far I've just been replaying missions and grinding, and the drops aren't good enough to really sustain it.

ToxicAdam

For lightning rounds, if you can jump in right away, you can get 5 non-player opponents who are super easy and all give 20-40 points. Run through them and you are already halfway to the 250 tier.

For lightning rounds, if you can jump in right away, you can get 5 non-player opponents who are super easy and all give 20-40 points. Run through them and you are already halfway to the 250 tier.

Which you will then drop precipitously from very quickly. ;D

But I've been lucking out with my chits. Three Astonishing Wolverine covers, yayuh!!!

AVclub

I'm starting to plot toilet breaks throughout the day when my covers are healed up so that I can get in a game or two during work hours. This is getting bad! My killer combo right now seems to be Thor (54) Grey Suit Black Widow (41) and Hawkeye Modern (35). I add the stockpile +3 all AP and can usually demolish much higher level squads.

ToxicAdam

Patch notes

Gameplay/General

- Max Health Pack regen limit raised to 5 from 4.
- Health Pack regen timer lowered from 96 minutes per pack to 36 minutes per pack
- Health Pack costs have risen from 15 for 1, 60 for 5 to 50 for 1, 200 for 5.

The 'regain all health on level up' is just temporary until the next patch rolls out.

Dash Kappei

I'm 4th in the FREE FOR ALL and tell me how am I supposed to make a come back (I was first) when this is what I get as a reward for fighting even high level teams:

u9sBtXR.jpg

In the fights I have available at the moment the best I can get is 7 points for winning on first attempt against a team made of 45l X-force Wolverine, 40lev Loki and 45 level Iron Man 40, each one of them with every of their skills

I'm 4th in the FREE FOR ALL and tell me how am I supposed to make a come back (I was first) when this is what I get as a reward for fighting even high level teams:

Keep skipping.

I got up to 13th place somehow and I had to skip 10-15 people to find a good reward. Remember it's based on how many tourney points they have, so you'll need to face people with 500+.

Dash Kappei

Keep skipping.

I got up to 13th place somehow and I had to skip 10-15 people to find a good reward. Remember it's based on how many tourney points they have, so you'll need to face people with 500+.

Read my edit, I've been skipping for 20 minutes and the best I can get varies from 2 to 7 points.
-_-
Considering I need to heal after each fight and that the current 1st is 250+ points above me (WTF, I was 1st less than 5 hours ago!)

Read my edit, I've been skipping for 20 minutes and the best I can get varies from 2 to 7 points.
-_-
Considering I need to heal after each fight and that the current 1st is 250+ points above me (WTF, I was 1st less than 5 hours ago!)

Ah, yeah that's terrible then. I've not gotten higher than 13th so perhaps it scales tremendously after that?

Honestly, I can't see how someone could make it into the upper tiers and stay there for any length of time without spending money.

So I've gotten all the rewards for the first HAMMER campaign in the prologue... except I haven't. I have 11/11 missions completed and 25/26 rewards earned, but I can't replay any more missions. I did this when I noticed the discrepency and thought "There must be some cool reward for earning all the other rewards and totally completing this campaign", but there doesn't seem to be?

Askani

So I've gotten all the rewards for the first HAMMER campaign in the prologue... except I haven't. I have 11/11 missions completed and 25/26 rewards earned, but I can't replay any more missions. I did this when I noticed the discrepency and thought "There must be some cool reward for earning all the other rewards and totally completing this campaign", but there doesn't seem to be?

It's the same as me. There's 24 total rewards from repeatable missions. However there is one from the Thugs and one from the Thug/Hitman. I think I may have lost the first time to the Thug/Hitman mission and didn't get the reward because you only get it if you beat it first time? It's the only one without a green check in my list.

ToxicAdam

It's a known bug they are going to fix. One of the tutorial missions has 2 rewards, but you can't go back and play them again.

It's the same as me. There's 24 total rewards from repeatable missions. However there is one from the Thugs and one from the Thug/Hitman. I think I may have lost the first time to the Thug/Hitman mission and didn't get the reward because you only get it if you beat it first time? It's the only one without a green check in my list.

It's a known bug they are going to fix. One of the tutorial missions has 2 rewards, but you can't go back and play them again.

Well, at least now I don't have to grind missions that don't have interesting rewards left just to get some mystery completed-all-the-rewards reward. Or is there some benefit to getting 26/26 as well? I'll replay missions for covers/recruittokens/hero coins, but I'd rather grind the PvP stuff for ISO or boosts.

Dash Kappei

Ah, yeah that's terrible then. I've not gotten higher than 13th so perhaps it scales tremendously after that?

Honestly, I can't see how someone could make it into the upper tiers and stay there for any length of time without spending money.

Yeah, you may be right after all. Disappointing, because when you've been first and then to get pushed down and down and down where if any opponent beats you it means minus 20/30 points but then you only get 10 or so for reveng(eanc)e it's disenheartening. Also something it's fishy, how is that I check the leaderboards and one hour after that there's a new 1st to 4th where some of the guys who were close to me are gone and replaced by new players, nowhere to be seen before on the top10 (so how the hell did they earn all those points in one hour?! We're talking at least 500 points earned in the blink of an eye) at the top with 200+ points more than me??
Is that a known "bug"? Mhhhh...

Well, at least now I don't have to grind missions that don't have interesting rewards left just to get some mystery completed-all-the-rewards reward. Or is there some benefit to getting 26/26 as well? I'll replay missions for covers/recruittokens/hero coins, but I'd rather grind the PvP stuff for ISO or boosts.

There's no reward for getting... all rewards in any given chapter.

Dash Kappei

Just wanted to say I'm loving this game. Just go an iPad Air and have been playing this game the most. But I agree with those saying that the game is sneaky. It pretty much forces your hand at spending real money if you want to keep playing that very day.

Well, to be fair you can always play against other players. I haven't really dipped my foot into that pool, as I'm still learning the ropes. But so far I've just been replaying missions and grinding, and the drops aren't good enough to really sustain it.

There's your problem. There's no point in heavily grinding at the beginning, just go as far as you can and earn ISOs playing PvP and you'll hardly eat a wall soon. Then you'll go back to earn your missed prizes doing each mission in 30 seconds tops. You'll have enough characters, heals and ISOs to play a lot during the day without spending a dime, of course you'll have to do in burst (not that short), I mean you can expect to PvP 2 hours straight each time. But between PvP and campaigns, when you'll have enough characters, you'll be mostly fine and dandy.

Btw, guy above wanted to get rid of Jaggernaut? High level, full skills Juggy might be the most powerful and useful character in the whole game. Venom, on the other hand... it's not worth it to create a very specific web-tiles combo team, the chance you'll devour are super slim either way. Too much wasted ISOs and few chances to be successful to go down that road.
And I advise you spend all your coins for getting more spots for your collection, soon enough many covers will start dropping like flies and if you don't have space you're fucked.

There's your problem. There's no point in heavily grinding at the beginning, just go as far as you can and earn ISOs playing PvP and you'll hardly eat a wall soon. Then you'll go back to earn your missed prizes doing each mission in 30 seconds tops. You'll have enough characters, heals and ISOs to play a lot during the day without spending a dime, of course you'll have to do in burst (not that short), I mean you can expect to PvP 2 hours straight each time. But between PvP and campaigns, when you'll have enough characters, you'll be mostly fine and dandy.

Btw, guy above wanted to get rid of Jaggernaut? High level, full skills Juggy might be the most powerful and useful character in the whole game. Venom, on the other hand... it's not worth it to create a very specific web-tiles combo team, the chance you'll devour are super slim either way. Too much wasted ISOs and few chances to be successful to go down that road.
And I advise you spend all your coins for getting more spots for your collection, soon enough many covers will start dropping like flies and if you don't have space you're fucked.

This post is making me sad. I went hard on Venom and ditched my Juggernaut. I should really get rid of some dead weight, like Doctor Doom and Captain America (unless they're actually good?)

Yeah...if you're willing to take an HP dent you can go into a PVP match with an "all colors" and "yellow/red" boost and immediately take out any character with a 6 Red Juggernaut headbutt before matching a single gem. It's devastating.

That's in the buffed Juggernaut tournament at least...I'm sure higher level characters can withstand it.

Dash Kappei

I'm again at #2 in the FFA tourney but I'm sure I won't last since I'm going to sleep.
Sucks because, if it weren't for those fuckers putting me down by hundreds of points and the low payout I'm getting for winning my fights, the 500 coins reward would have been mine already and then some; I'm probably gonna miss it instead and that was the whole reason I played a lot of FFA the last couple of days... I hardly care for Iron Man 40, I wish you could trade covers with Facebook friends, that'd be pretty awesome.

ToxicAdam

This post is making me sad. I went hard on Venom and ditched my Juggernaut. I should really get rid of some dead weight, like Doctor Doom and Captain America (unless they're actually good?)

Of all the 3 star characters, I like Doom the least. Captain America is a PvE monster though and his covers are relatively easy to get.

Top Bottom