• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim VR on PS4 drops November 17th

notacat

Week or so away to release. We know there's a PSVR bundle with it.

Does it have any PS4Pro support? I don't see any mention of it anywhere, and another Bethesda game (Evil Within 2) didn't get a pro patch until recently....

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Week or so away to release. We know there's a PSVR bundle with it.

Does it have any PS4Pro support? I don't see any mention of it anywhere, and another Bethesda game (Evil Within 2) didn't get a pro patch until recently....

I assume it has Pro support since it's based on the Special Edition which got Pro support shortly after launch.

notacat

I assume it has Pro support since it's based on the Special Edition which got Pro support shortly after launch.

They tend to list it when that's the case, I just wonder. I mean, I guess Sony sold what, 250,000 pros or something. At least last time what was posted up here on Neogaf, so i can't really blame developers for doing nothing, or a quick pro patch as a quick afterthought.

120v

aren't Pro PSVR games better out of the box? i don't see why they'd waste time optimizing it but it would be nice

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Playing with such an expansive world that is skyrim in VR is an alluring proposition, however the sales figures of PSVR show that the fundamental problems of VR are a barrier to success

I wonder which will sell more the PSVR version or the switch version?

EricB

For PSVR? If it is indeed a full Skyrim
experience, and it works well, then definitely. This is the type of game that could absolutely absorb a person.

That being said, I don’t really enjoy playing PSVR games for extended periods of time, so I’ve been second guessing picking it up. The idea sounds amazing, but this is the type of game I would play for hours at a time, and I don’t really find that possible in VR.

ffvorax

I don't have a lot of trust in this game... I liked Skyrim, even with its flaws... but this one is not made for VR, it was never meant to be, so I'm actually convinced that can be a fun experience, but it's not possible to really appreciate the game in VR.
I won't buy it, but I usually never buy again games that I already played, not for remaster edition or similar...
Maybe on super discount one day in the future... but super curious to read people when they will play it!"!

120v

I don't have a lot of trust in this game... I liked Skyrim, even with its flaws... but this one is not made for VR, it was never meant to be, so I'm actually convinced that can be a fun experience, but it's not possible to really appreciate the game in VR.
I won't buy it, but I usually never buy again games that I already played, not for remaster edition or similar...
Maybe on super discount one day in the future... but super curious to read people when they will play it!"!

it was one of the best VR experiences i've had (via third party software on PC). it's a great fit with the platform

notacat

I seem to be giving all my money to Bethesda these days. Still though, might hold off on Skyrim VR until it gets a pro patch.

I could see it being pretty fun, since i think you can move a bit normally now, more like resident evil 7, though not sure on the choppy turning. (that totally worked for RE7 for me)

Also being able to use a dualshock might be cool too. I dunno, i've done skyrim more than a few times now, but not yet in VR. I'd just hate to go through it by x-mas, then have them dump a pro patch finally once i'm done.

I'd rather wait this time.

Minamu

What kind of movement system will this use? Although I've never tried the teleport system some games have used, it has always sounded stupid to me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yep !
I hope JessBethesda is not a fake account ...

Given their post history, I'd say if it is a fake account Bethesda might as well go ahead and hire them anyway

Is locomotion any good?
In general? It depends on implementation. I've played an assortment of games with locomotion on Rift and have had varying degrees of success with each. It helps having thumbsticks on the motion controls there.

In Skyrim? I don't know. The footage I've seen on YouTube seems to indicate they put effort into it. Example being darkening the edges when you're moving to help combat motion sickness. I would look up footage for you.

Newk86

People always criticised the combat in Skyrim, would be funny if it actually lends itself perfectly to first gen VR motion controls etc. Maybe it was meant to be.

Can't wait for next Friday.

SoulUnison

Banned
No fucking way would I ever trust Bethesda to make a VR experience when they can't even seem to polish their AAA mainstream efforts.

Besides the idea of Skyrim Spiders literally in my face, the idea of experiencing being "in" the Creation Engine fills me with a looming, existential dread.
This game is going to be nightmare fuel, and not for any good or even intentional reasons.

And, shit - charging $60 for it?
Bethesda might as well just rename themselves "Skyrim Studios," at this point.

Humdinger

I put a pre-order down for the Skyrim bundle, $449. It's a good deal. And I'm really excited to play Skyrim VR. I even started up a third replay of Skyrim tonight. Made it to Riverwood.

edit: Actually I cancelled the pre-order, because I discovered that it'll be on sale for $350 Nov. 19 - 27. That's a fantastic deal, for all of that stuff -- PSVR, camera, 2 move controllers, and Skyrim with all the DLC.

jshackles

Sony announced their "black friday" deals for next week, including $100 off VR headsets and bundles. The Skryim VR bundle will be $349

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1457671

First up, all PlayStation VR bundles will be available at a great deal at participating retailers. This includes the recently announced PlayStation VR Gran Turismo Sport Bundle at $299.99 USD (MSRP) and PlayStation VR Skyrim VR Bundle at $349.99 USD (MSRP).

jshackles

That's a hell of a deal.

Yeah this is just low enough to tempt me, as I've been hesitant to pick up one of the headsets by itself even for $250 on sale since I don't have the PS4 camera or move controllers that would add an additional cost. Skryim I've played a million times but I'm still looking forward to seeing it in VR and it's inclusion here seems pretty good.

Hopefully the VR stuff is good in Skryim and it's something I could play for a few hours without getting sick or getting serious headaches.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah this is just low enough to tempt me, as I've been hesitant to pick up one of the headsets by itself even for $250 on sale since I don't have the PS4 camera or move controllers that would add an additional cost. Skryim I've played a million times but I'm still looking forward to seeing it in VR and it's inclusion here seems pretty good.

Hopefully the VR stuff is good in Skryim and it's something I could play for a few hours without getting sick or getting serious headaches.
I can’t link it atm but there’s a 30 minute Gamespot video on YouTube that shows how it pays. It looks quite good even tho the guy playing sucks. It might give you an idea one way or the other.

Minamu

In general? It depends on implementation. I've played an assortment of games with locomotion on Rift and have had varying degrees of success with each. It helps having thumbsticks on the motion controls there.

In Skyrim? I don't know. The footage I've seen on YouTube seems to indicate they put effort into it. Example being darkening the edges when you're moving to help combat motion sickness. I would look up footage for you.
Cool, I watched the mentioned 30 min video on gamespot, looks great!

That new Skyrim bundle, is it a complete package with wands and everything? Or just camera and hmd?

Leviticus

Neo Member
I really hope that they will release the VR-Skyrim bundle in Europe as well. If the VR port is any good, I will definitely jump onto the VR bandwagon.

Cool, I watched the mentioned 30 min video on gamespot, looks great!

That new Skyrim bundle, is it a complete package with wands and everything? Or just camera and hmd?
$350 on Black Friday for the game, headset, two Move controllers, and the camera. $450 otherwise.

jshackles

Why is Skyrim bundle more expensive than the GT Sport bundle when the games by themselves are the same price?

The Skyrim bundle includes the v2 unit and move controllers. The GT Sport bundle includes the v1 unit and no move controllers.

Grinchy

Banned
Why is Skyrim bundle more expensive than the GT Sport bundle when the games by themselves are the same price?

The GT Sport bundle doesn't come with Move controllers. It's just the camera and the game.

edit- already answered. That's what I get for leaving tabs open.

Thanks both. I just thought it was weird cause I remember seeing both bundles being the same price in EU.

EDIT: I see now, their Skyrim bundle only has the starter VR pack

notacat

Whos played it... need some impressions.

Wow, 2 hour in. Time flew by, this is an absolute must buy for PSVR. Just figure out to increase the difficulty up once you get the hang of it. Everything is a million times cooler in this, firing bows, magic, attacking and blocking with swords.

That boring carriage ride in the beginning? I was looking at everything, seeing deer skirt away and marveling at actually being in the game.

No wonder Sony is bundling PSVR with this now.

Top Bottom