• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Nightmares review thread

benzopil

Eurogamer -- Recommended
Media Molecule protégé Tarsier turns in a masterpiece of meat and malice, swiftly consumed but with a lingering aftertaste.Little Nightmares is everything you may have loved about LittleBigPlanet thrown into a sausage grinder with everything you may have dreaded in Silent Hill.

RockPaperShotgun - "Loved almost every minute of it"
I love it. There were times when I didn't, mostly when I had to replay a section where I kept failing to line up what looked like a simple jump over and over, but by the end I was smitten. It's a grotesque, horrid and eventually hopeful in its own morbid fashion, and despite many moments that feel like reimaginings or echoes from elsewhere, it has enough extraordinary images and sequences to stand alone. It's precisely the kind of horror game I love – grotesque but not gross, and interested in thoughtful pacing and escalation rather than jumpscares and shocks.

US Gamer - "The anxiety-ridden encounters...left me feeling exhausted"
Little Nightmares, like the great skin-crawly tales of Alvin Schwartz's Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, feels like the stories that haunt kids to their cores as kids. Where a world's atmosphere and ghouls are a threat: and you, a kid, are just helpless, left to hide away when danger looms. If hiding is even an option, after all.

ACG - "Wait For Sale"
I had a goddamn blast. There are some later puzzles that are so fun to do, or to just mess around with the enemies in some rooms. And while the narrative is never really told outright to you, it's interesting enough to just make you want to continue seeing the world. Unfortunately, there was some time in where I was really wishing for it to be more taxing and the game's six-to-eight hour timeframe, for many of us, is going to feel a little bit short

Game Informer - 9/10
An amazing work in its own right, and a must-play for anyone who enjoys tightly crafted platformers and grotesque horror...
Little Nightmares isn't a horror game in a traditional sense, but it's filled with horrifying imagery and some of the most wretched sights I've seen in a long time. Even without any graphic violence or gore, it's deeply unsettling.

Videogamer -- 9
Little Nightmares is frightening, in a way that gets under your skin. A way that whispers in your ear that you won't sleep well tonight. Little Nightmares takes things you were afraid of when you were a kid, and reminds you you're still afraid now.

IGN - 8.8
Gleefully strange, unceasingly grim, and quietly smart, Little Nightmares is a very welcome fresh take on horror.

Polygon -- 8.5
Little Nightmares worked its way into my dreams because it's just bright enough, just safe enough to make me let my guard down. The game isn't always successful at balancing some game design fundamentals. But when the lights went out, it left me remembering that, really, I'm just a small thing in a dangerous world myself.

Also, that monsters with big long grabby arms are really, really creepy.

Destructoid -- 8.5
Little Nightmares could use better pacing, perhaps more build-up in the first chapter, but even in its calmer moments it retains your interest with its macabre world and simple yet goosebumps-inducing gameplay. You constantly feel like a crippled gazelle limping around a lion's den. I'm excited to watch others play and panic the way I did.

JustPushStart - 8.2/10
Despite being a short game with some fiddly controls, Little Nightmares is still an enjoyable experience. It's by far the creepiest video game I have played in recent memory and the story and premise is intriguing. If you are a fan of Limbo, you should definitely try and play this game. It's also best to play this game for yourself without spoilers. You'll be sure to be more shocked!

Easy Allies - 4/5
Little Nightmares is a thoroughly creepy platformer with vividly disturbing imagery and a menacing world that drives you to look for an escape. Turn the volume up, turn the lights off, and let Little Nightmares keep you awake

IBTimes - 4/5
Little Nightmares is the kind of horror game we don't see often enough, one that doesn't shock with fountains of viscera but crawls under the skin. Its flavour of terror is unnerving, burrowing its way deep inside you to nest and feed.

Game Rant - 4/5
Ultimately, Little Nightmares strikes a fine chord between charming and creepy in a way that perhaps only a former LittleBigPlanet developer could do. The game knows when a delicate touch is needed in terms of creepiness, and conversely gets the adrenaline going when things go from zero to sixty as a gelatinous humanoid biped suddenly decides Six would make a good lunch. Each chapter has its own compartmentalized style and every challenge brings something new to the table, resulting in a satisfying puzzler with a deep shine of polish. Little Nightmares is a must-have for puzzle fans everywhere, so long as they don't mind imagining long creeping hands coming out of every shadow they see afterwards.

GameReactor - 8
The ending feels a bit abrupt, and while we don't mind games that are shorter in length, some players will no doubt find Little Nightmares on the short side in terms of value for money. If, however, you're looking for a dark and troubled adventure to submerge yourself in for an evening or two, then Little Nightmares delivers.

Hardcore Gamer - 4/5
Little Nightmares has its flaws and iffy moments, but when it's at its best, it creates a tense, nightmarish, action-packed world filled with surreal scenery that contains some classic puzzle design and a host of gleefully creepy characters to chase you all throughout it. It may not break any new ground in the small child/scary world sub-genre, but it still makes for one impressive entry into this world of dark games nonetheless, thanks to The Maw and the unique, twisted visuals it contains. It may be an absolutely horrifying feast that you witness at every turn, but it's one that's worth taking a bite out of.

TheSixthAxis - 8/10
Little Nightmares is something of a minor classic. Gorgeously gross and surprisingly inventive, it creates a genuine feeling of terror and tension. It's a bit odd to say a game that involves skipping over corpses is enjoyable, but it is, just don't blame Tarsier if you have nightmares.

PC Gamer - 78/100
An okay platformer but a deeply imaginative horror game, Little Nightmares is worth playing for its array of disturbing imagery...
This is a terrific world to step into and then out of again, a rush of original and disconcerting imagery slotted into an eerie, isolated setting. I want to preserve that effect it had on me the first time, of underestimating the oddities that the developers had in store. This is a horror game that genuinely has new things to show you.

Metro - 7/10
It has some unfortunate gameplay failings, but in terms of disturbing atmosphere and surprisingly serious subject matter this is one of the best horror games of the year

PSU - 7/10
An inventive and disturbing puzzler with beautiful environments, Little Nightmares is well worth a look for fans of the genre looking for something a little different.

Twinfinite - 3.5/5
If you liked Limbo and Inside, then Little Nightmares is definitely for you. Though its puzzles may not have you stumped for quite as long, its sinister world will consume your attention throughout its five to six-hour duration. Playing cat and mouse with its boss creatures will have you on the edge of your seat as you desperately seek the next spot of refuge under cover.
Had its controls been as tight as necessary for its platforming sections, and its final chapter not been so anticlimactic, Little Nightmares could have been something truly special. Nonetheless, it's a short, eerie, and sweet experience that will linger in my mind for days to come.

Embargo lifted so early, they must be really confident in this

RPS
I love it. There were times when I didn’t, mostly when I had to replay a section where I kept failing to line up what looked like a simple jump over and over, but by the end I was smitten. It’s a grotesque, horrid and eventually hopeful in its own morbid fashion, and despite many moments that feel like reimaginings or echoes from elsewhere, it has enough extraordinary images and sequences to stand alone. It’s precisely the kind of horror game I love – grotesque but not gross, and interested in thoughtful pacing and escalation rather than jumpscares and shocks.

I was pretty smitten with this the moment I laid eyes on it. Glad it turned out well in the end.

Still wish it retained the name Hunger though.

From the Videogamer review
But so much of Little Nightmares is upsetting, in a lovely way, that it sounds faintly ridiculous to recommend it:

'You should get this game, it's really good.'

'Oh, is it fun?'

'It was one of the most unsettling experiences of my life. It was like a finger on the back of your neck. It was like hearing something upstairs when you think the house is empty. I said "Oh god, oh god, leave me alone!" out loud, several times.'

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Dont wanna read a review of it, but alice (VG) tweeted out
"After playing it I keep remembering all the stuff I was afraid of as a kid."
"I didn't like the deep end of pools because I couldn't see what was under my feet."

Yup, that sounds good to me.

Mdk7

8.3 on IGN Italia, I personally reviewed the game.

A twisted fairy tale that dwells in the grotesque and in the macabre, Little Nightmares is a narrative platformer that you will eventually remember for its fascinating atmosphere (and its remarkable graphics and audio design) rather than for its gameplay.

I really liked it a lot, the graphics, the art direction and the sound design are insanely good. And the performance on PS4 Pro is just... banderas.gif
Also, some of the set pieces are downright gorgeous, a couple of moments are really incredibly powerful.
Stunning attention to detail too, with some amazing camera work and more.

That said, it might no be everyone's cup of tea, as it's a bit (too?) light on the gameplay side.

You can still get the physical edition with figure for $28 on Amazon or best Buy GCU.

141912LELG.jpg

Hoping that this game does so well that they finally go back and finish Metronome.

ced

Also for people who remember it, this is what The City of Metronome turned into I think, at least in a way.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

T.O.P

Banned
8.3 on IGN Italia, I personally reviewed the game.

I really liked it a lot, the graphics, the art direction and the sound design are insanely good. And the performance on PS4 Pro is just... banderas.gif
Also, some of the set pieces are downright gorgeous, a couple of moments are really incredibly powerful.
Stunning attention to detail too, with some amazing camera work and more.

That said, it might no be everyone's cup of tea, as it's a bit (too?) light on the gameplay side.

Can you comment on the lenght mdk? i'm expecting something like 5-6 hours

What? Outlast 2 is out soon? I loved the first one.

25th and it's gonna be pretty damn great i hope!

benzopil

You are right, it's 4-5 hours
or more if you will be looking for collectables

I reveiewed the game too but the article will be live later, it a solid 9 from me. And it was really hard to impress me after Inside, but they are completely different games.

Mdk7

25th and it's gonna be pretty damn great i hope!

NOPE, unfortunately it's basically half of that.
As I wrote in my review, I completed the game in two sittings, for a total lenght of something above 3-3.5 hours of total playtime.
Yup, it's definitely not a long game, but it's still absolutely worth it.
And also, the beginning is IMHO the weakest part: after
the kitchen
(it's not a real spoiler, it's really a setting that has always been shown) it really keeps growing and growing, to a very powerful epilogue.
If you guys have other questions, feel free to ask!

I haven't played a horror game since SOMA that scared me through implications, imagery, and tension, so I'm really looking forward to this

Already got the OT ready to go

Hell yes! Sounds like my kind of game. Really looking forward to it now. Glad I preordered this when Best Buy was doing the Visa $25 off $100 deal. Got the Six edition for $22.

Edit: Any of the reviews mention the length? Edit 2: Nevermind. Posted just above. Sounds good to me. A little short but I like to take my time so I'll probably easily get 5 hours or more.

NOPE, unfortunately it's basically half of that.
As I wrote in my review, I completed the game in two sittings, for a total lenght of something above 3-3.5 hours of total playtime.
Yup, it's definitely not a long game, but it's still absolutely worth it.
3 to 5 hours seems pretty perfect for this kind of game. Inside took me 4 and Oxenfree took me 6, so I wouldn't be surprised if I squeeze another hour or so out of this

Maybe it's due to the games that have released, but this genre seems to work best when the game is short and leanly paced

EBreda

This was imo the best little surprise last E3. Very good trailer sold me the game right there.

I'm glad reviews are positive.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Some tech info:
Bandai Namco shared some technical details on Little Nightmares. The game will run at 1080P and 30 FPS on a regular PlayStation 4 console, while the native resolution will be bumped to 1620P (75% of 4K’s 2160P) on PS4 Pro where the frame rate will be close to 60FPS (70% of the time it will be stable at 60FPS, for the remaining 30% it will vary between 50 and 60FPS).
http://wccftech.com/little-nightmares-1620p60-pro-1080p30/

benzopil

3 to 5 hours seems pretty perfect for this kind of game. Inside took me for 4 and Oxenfree took me 6, so I wouldn't be surprised if I squeeze another hour or so out of this

Maybe it's due to the games that have released, but this genre seems to work best when the game is short and leanly paced

Plus in this game you will be looking at walls, furniture and a lot of other stuff because it looks so good and has so many details.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This may be the perfect pallet cleanser after several huge games like Horizon. Maybe this and Rain World then jump into Persona 5. Either way I'll be playing this soon. Been excited for this game since it was called Hunger.

Osahi

My copy arrived late (just today), but I'm so looking forward to jumping in. Played it two times at preview events, and came away very impressed every time...

Mdk7

I reveiewed the game too but the article will be live later, it a solid 9 from me. And it was really hard to impress me after Inside, but they are completely different games.

I beat the game in around 3.5 hours getting around 75% of the collectibles, of course we might have a different rhythm while playing, but 5+ hours are a bit too much based on my experience.

As for the comparison with Inside... I frankly liked this one better, as Inside left way too many things (pretentiously, IMHO) unexplained.
Little Nightmares is way more direct and more honest, to me, but they are both great games.
Plus I am a sucker for grotesque stuff and I love the theme of cannibalism,
so you could easily see why I like this one so much.

I've been waiting so long for this, I'm happy to see the game getting high scores, I was afraid the game would rely on some sort of gimmick or be too short to fully enjoy. I won't be reading all the reviews because of possible spoilers, but glancing at most of them, people appear to be pleasantly surprised.

benzopil

I beat the game in around 3.5 hours getting around 75% of the collectibles, of course we might have a different rhythm while playing, but 5+ hours are a bit too much based on my experience.

As for the comparison with Inside... I frankly liked this one better, as Inside left way too many things (pretentiously, IMHO) unexplained.
Little Nightmares is way more direct and more honest, to me, but they are both great games.
Plus I am a sucker for grotesque stuff and I love the theme of cannibalism,
so you could easily see why I like this one so much.

maybe I was looking too much at how shadows dance on the walls when you are running with a lighter :D

I liked them both and will probably replay them both later, they flawlessly achieve different things and it's amazing.

Top Bottom