• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern games that truly play like Urban Reign(PS2)?

I've never played this, but apparently it's like a brawler version of Tekken. Here's a gameplay video (seems like it's near the end of the game though, so spoiler warning :v )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar32Z_SjnVA

Are there any? And suggestions of any game like this are welcome too, but I'm really looking for something I can get on STEAM or PSN.

Nothing, nothing at all.

Urban Reign also has a fairly large, feature-packed campaign with a ton of unlockables, unbalanced but still somehow satisfying combat AI, destructive and free range environments, and the Tekken team's dependable sense of slightly off-kilter character design and jank.

Its very much a one-off. Blame me, I bought it used so many years ago. I didn't know what I was doing and there were so many great games at the time, I'm sorry for not supporting it better.

luulubuu

There's hardly any juggling in Yakuza though, and the heat/special moves are more like cutscenes separate from gameplay (though it looks like Yakuza 6 is changing that).

Just based on how UR looks, Yakuza seems considerably different.

It's the only one I can think of, sorry.

Maybe No More Heroes, God Hand?

It's the only one I can think of, sorry.

Maybe No More Heroes, God Hand?
God Hand sounds like it's really good, but it looks different from UR. It seems like it could be a like cousin to UR tho. The PS2-era 3D brawler family

Guess I need to break out the old PS2 😔

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SpikeOut: Battle Street is kinda like Urban Reign. Basically like a Sega Arcade Hardware version.

And the Beat-em-up mode in Tekken...6, I think it is, is basically like a somewhat looser semi-successor.

The Dungeon Running Gameplay in Ehrgiez and Tobal No. 1 also slightly counts, as they're 3D adventures with Fighting game engine gameplay.

I might never wanna see a 3D Streets of Rage like this, but I do wish there was a definitive, iterative series that at least attempted to refine the 3D Brawler genre every once in a while. I guess MMO stuff like Vindictus kinda is similar, but...

God Hand sounds like it's really good, but it looks different from UR. It seems like it could be a like cousin to UR tho. The PS2-era 3D brawler family

Guess I need to break out the old PS2 😔

God Hand is one of the best games ever made imo.

And Urban Reign is really fun as well, and different. I wouldn't put it in the same class as God Hand, but it is most definitely worth a play. I remember being surprised at how well it was put together when I played it all those years ago, and really getting immersed in the experience.

Man, the PS2 is still the champ.

Top Bottom