• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Utawarerumono Mask of Deception - |OT| Underwater Ray Romano

Shizuka

So many Holos, so little time.

Is there a consensus on which version is better? Will this ever come to PC?

They're the same. The PS4 version has a higher resolution and the Vita version is portable. No chances for PC, it's PS4/Vita or nothing at all.

About 20 hours in right now, kinda loving it. Characters are all pretty well written, if oftentimes trope-y, but then, tropes are what we like about media.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Dont hold your breath for pc.

Obvious answer to versions is ps4 graphics, psv for portability. After that think for yourself which suits your needs better.

Tohsaka

Not going to happen. Tears to Tiara 2 was a PS3-exclusive sequel to a PC game by the same developer. Kinda surprised that game never got an anime adaption, though.

Really liking it so far even though I'm only a few hours in. What I can say of the battles so far is they feel like they could have played out on their own and it wouldn't change much. They've been so minimalistic that they only really serve as short segments to break up the VN sections, which kinda makes me question why they're there and it couldn't just be a full VN.

Parakeetman

Really liking it so far even though I'm only a few hours in. What I can say of the battles so far is they feel like they could have played out on their own and it wouldn't change much. They've been so minimalistic that they only really serve as short segments to break up the VN sections, which kinda makes me question why they're there and it couldn't just be a full VN.

Its just how the series is. In the market of unlocalized pc stuff there is a bunch of titles that contain some sort of gameplay element just to give a break from the constant vn portions.

So its not really something unusual for Japan.

Also allows for them to have some narrative related events take place without having to have more atwork done. Granted the obvious fact of it takes more work lol

Its why in general folks really need to be clearly told dont expect much from the srpg portions.

desmax

I haven't played much, but I gotta say, this game has some pretty decent production values.

Wasn't expecting much after playing Tears to Tiara II, but this game is fairly well put together

Jimrpg

Dont hold your breath for pc.

Obvious answer to versions is ps4 graphics, psv for portability. After that think for yourself which suits your needs better.

I would say considering the game is 80% VN - go Vita. just my preference. And the Vita version is $39. I think the PS4 version is $10 more?

Parakeetman

I would say considering the game is 80% VN - go Vita. just my preference. And the Vita version is $39. I think the PS4 version is $10 more?

Yeah the PS4 version is 10 more. Its all on the product info section of the OT.

hongcha

I got the vita version yesterday and played for 2 hours. I am very impressed so far. The story has already hooked me, and the production values are really high. Love the music too. This is a lot better than I thought it would be.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Finished the game over the long weekend, clocked around 25 hours. Now to patiently wait for the sequel.

The focus on the everyday life rather than the battle really reminded me of fate/stay night.

OniBaka

Where are you from? Where I am, Malaysia one of our stores here are getting a second batch in a week or so. It's still up on Amazon when I was browsing yesterday.
That's cool, if there's no dlc then I'll probably get it from Amazon next week. I'm in Australia.

i've now 5hours of play time ( in - game clock )

I like almost everything so far , except some of haku monologues but i bear with it since it should have a pay-off later. As expected the anime made plenty of changes , some i understand , some i don't.

I like free battles , they aren't the deepest , but they are more than servicable

So far so good.

jonjonaug

Just started playing this tonight and I like it a lot. The game is super cozy, with great art/music/characters/atmosphere and pretty solid writing. It's a shame that it seems to be overlooked compared to some other RPG releases this year so far.

Parakeetman

Just started playing this tonight and I like it a lot. The game is super cozy, with great art/music/characters/atmosphere and pretty solid writing. It's a shame that it seems to be overlooked compared to some other RPG releases this year so far.

Well the game isnt an RPG in the expected sense of the general consumer market and the visual novel genre is still fairly niche for the most part.

Best thing you can do is just tell others you know bout the game lol

That's cool, if there's no dlc then I'll probably get it from Amazon next week. I'm in Australia.

Yeah the game does not have any story related dlc content so no worries there.

Parakeetman

jonjonaug

How long is this game? Pleasantly surprised that it's not 100% VN.
Depends on if you just leave auto-read on and let the voices play or if you speed read I think. It's supposed to be over 50 hours long if you take it easy I think.

I'm around 16 hours in and feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

Parakeetman

Depends on if you just leave auto-read on and let the voices play or if you speed read I think. It's supposed to be over 50 hours long if you take it easy I think.

I'm around 16 hours in and feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

30-40 are some standard times shown by jp players. My play time was a lot longer due to just grinding for no reason lol.

As you said will depend on folks reading speed and if the srpg portions give them trouble or not.

Jimrpg

Pretty difficult to find a copy in Australia, Amazon is your best bet. I'm also Australian! Nice to see another Australian Vita fan here.

aravuus

I've been skimming through the first anime and it hasn't been very interesting. So for the folks who have put some actual hours in this: what's the story actually about?

The premise sounds extremely similar, no, it's pretty much the exact same thing as the first one, with the amnesiac mask dude and all. Of course it's probably much more interesting in an SRPG/VN form with tons of dialogue, but if it's just a retread of the whole "
small rebel force overcomes tiny empire, MC mask dude becomes the ruler of the new small empire which starts taking on other empires and groups while gaining new wacky members from the beaten enemies
" thing, I think I'll skip it for now.
The world being Earth in far future
is cool and all, but if they don't actually do anything with it, it's kind of.. Whatever.

Ekid

Finished Fire Emblem a few days ago and finally started to play this, 15 hours of play time so far.

Currently just after the first time we see the General
of the Left Mikazuchi

Beginning was pretty hype, didn't expect shit to happen so fast. I guess the red slime things that they call Tatari is the same as those of the first game. I don't remember anythings about them being immortal though.

I guess Kuon, which is definitely Hakuoro & Yuzuha's daughter, is probably the one who awoke Kuro from some ruins, maybe the ones that are shown in the opening.
From the flashback it seems Kuro went in some sort of cryogenic sleep, but I'm curious to know what exactly happened since we are on a different continent.

I was expecting Kakura to appear given the name of the Inn and the description of his owner, but the mothers part had me laughing a bit. Also the mysterious people talking to Kuon at night using "waka-sama" does not leave much room for doubt about their identities.

The game is a lot more slow-paced and verbose than the first one, but the opening suggest shit will get real at some point.
I like the new characters a lot, especially Nekone.

Localization is pretty good, but since English isn't my first language I have some difficulty to understand what Maroro is saying sometimes, even more when he is drunk. There is some change compared to the fan-translation of the first one which I do found a little strange:
Kakura => Karulau
Urtoriy => Ulthury
Ouro => Owlo
Nothing important though.

The battle are a lot easier this time with the Rewind function and the free battle. No more final boss wiping your party with a magical aoe.

I find the opening absolutely fantastic, one of the best I have seen for a long time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STg4Ya8bEFo

The voce acting is also spectacular, especially the main character.

Parakeetman

After putting up with Persona 5's garbage localization it's amazing how good this one is.

Im pretty surprised to hear the localization is good, but most def is a big plus. Was worried after seeing how Persona 5 turned out. Really wonder how they managed to fuck that one up considering what a big name title it is for Atlus in the West.

Tohsaka

After putting up with Persona 5's garbage localization it's amazing how good this one is.

The Tears to Tiara 2 localization was pretty good too, probably the same translator and they seem to like the games since they didn't shit the translations up with memes or needless rewrites.

Im pretty surprised to hear the localization is good, but most def is a big plus. Was worried after seeing how Persona 5 turned out. Really wonder how they managed to fuck that one up considering what a big name title it is for Atlus in the West.

Persona 5 localization was a rushed affair that they just threw a ton of bodies at to meet a deadline.

Well i took some screenshots just fine at the start and now the game won't let me take screenshots on PS4 . is this normal ?

jonjonaug

So I got to the point where (maybe 20 hour in spoilers?)
Haku was given possession of the twins
and now I find myself checking vndb just to make sure this game is rated 15+ and not 18+.

Well i took some screenshots just fine at the start and now the game won't let me take screenshots on PS4 . is this normal ?

Yes. You're allowed to take videos and pictures of what really amounts to the "prologue" chapters of the game, but it's locked off afterward.

EDIT: Got to
the Mikazuchi reveal
and what the fuck. How can one man be so good?

Haven't been able to play as much as I would have liked so far, but just did the 7th battle against
Nosuri
. That was the first fight I actually had to restart because I thought fights were a joke up to that point, until she started picking off each of my units by one shotting them.

Parakeetman

Haven't been able to play as much as I would have liked so far, but just did the 7th battle against
Nosuri
. That was the first fight I actually had to restart because I thought fights were a joke up to that point, until she started picking off each of my units by one shotting them.

Just like the first game found one of the most useful accessories to have equipped is the movement range increasing ones. As usual ranged units are irritating till you close the gap unless you have over levelled units.

Top Bottom