• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: AM2R killed because it was a commercial product without a charge

A perfect example right here. Gets two games in 7 years (of which one is definately above average) but feels entitled to games that have the quality of zelda or something despite piss poor sales. The only reason other m got a bad reputation is because fans are jaded and cant accept that there may be entries with flaws (once again aside of the cheesy story and rather short playtime - which isnt necessarily a minus - i struggle to see why the game is treated like big rigs or imagine babyz)

And to be honest donkey kong country has a way better reputation (DKC2 is considered the best SNES game by many and sales of DKC were mich higher than metroid) so blasting retro for TF is completely ridiculous.

You cited me as an example as what's wrong with Metroid fans and then proceeded to quote things I didn't say. I called Other M average with a really bad story. That's a reasonable opinion. I never said it's on par with Big Rigs or Imagine Babyz.

I never brought up Donkey Kong, but since you did, I think Tropical Freeze is the best game on the Wii U and the greatest 2D platformer ever made.

I am entitled to nothing except my expectations. Nintendo has not met my expectations with Metroid in the past 7 years.

mindatlarge

He's being a bit vague and guarded about it but if I was Reggie, I would have answered his question with some more definition like this:

"We have to maintain control of our IP's, protect their value and consumer demand. In the business world as well, to licensee an IP or brand carries a fee, royalties to be paid to the owner, etc. We have many business partners who do just that.

When something like AM2R is made without our consent and offered free of charge, that's potential money out of our pockets, could produce confusion in the marketplace and competition for our own unreleased title while also being unfair to our licensing partners. Being offered free of charge or to charge a fee is in material. If you decide to let something like that slide, the precedent is then set, which could then lead to a host of issues for our brand and our partners, a road we'd rather not go down.

While we appreciate and realize we are here today as a company because of our fans, we as a company need to protect ourselves in order for our future to be secure so we can continue to produce and distribute our games to our millions of loyal fans."

Forgive me, but i don't see anything controversial here. If you're using someone else's copyrighted/ protected material then you are opening yourself up to legal action taken against you. It doesn't matter if you charge for the product or not.

Top Bottom