• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What should I move to in order to get off diet soda?

McBryBry

So, I've finally stopped drinking regular soda. I decided that I was cutting out the sugary drinks because they're awful and I've drank water and Diet MD for months now. However, I think I should keep going and get off of it entirely. My friend started drinking Clear Mountain Ice sparkling water. The different flavors are pretty good and I think I've figured out that the carbonation is what I crave. However, I'm skeptical on if these things are actually any better than diet soda. Would these be a good idea? Or I'm thinking just regular sparkling water, maybe get some flavor like Mio.

Oppo

the sparkling water / mio thing works pretty well.

what I found is that the carbonation is sort of the main thing. the flavour is important too but the bubbles are the weirdly 'addictive' quality.

watch out for sodastreams or other pressurized thingies though. or slayven will post that gross pic again.

MindofKB

I kicked soda by drinking sparkling water. For me, it was definitely the carbonation that had me hooked. Now I just drink a sparkling water whenever I get that old craving and it works like a charm.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Sparkling water is great and satisfies the craving for carbonated beverages for me. You can get cans that are already flavored, so no need to buy any flavoring.

Al-ibn Kermit

The clear mountain stuff sounds like it's the same as diet soda.

If you want to cut out that craving for sweetness, I'd just go with sparkling water and see how it goes.

JCHandsom

drinks2.jpg

Or some other brand of sparkling water. Did the trick for me.

Raven117

Gold Member
Le Criox. Find a flavor you like.

Or

Topo Chico...my favorite. Its really fizzy but its just mineral water from Mexico.

the sparkling water / mio thing works pretty well.

what I found is that the carbonation is sort of the main thing. the flavour is important too but the bubbles are the weirdly 'addictive' quality.

watch out for sodastreams or other pressurized thingies though. or slayven will post that gross pic again.

What is gross about SodaStream?

I think Sparkling Water is a good alternative. I also completely dropped soda and it feels pretty good. I drink regular water for the most part though.

Lyte Edge

I see that Mio has some of the same chemicals and artificial sweeteners found in diet sodas. Seems like using that with sparkling water is essentially just making diet soda. I'd stay away from that.

Schattenjäger;243711043 said:
Hate to be the bearer of bad news

Still beats diet soda though

http://nypost[link removed]/sparkling-water-is-really-really-not-good-for-you/[

"Originally published by The S*n"

So, a garbage rag that's reprinting stories from a reprehensible company.

Lyte Edge

Diet soda is fine. Why do you want to drop it OP?

Diet soda is not fine and in some ways is worse than regular soda. My doctor recommended I cut out diet drinks completely the last time I went for a check-up.

HylianTom

Banned
After being a six-pack-per-day soda-head for years, I switched to a coffee(morning) and tea(afternoon/evening) pattern about 3 years ago. Worked really well.

DOWN

Banned
I see that Mio has some of the same chemicals and artificial sweeteners found in diet sodas. Seems like using that with sparkling water is essentially just making diet soda. I'd stay away from that.

Artificial sweeteners are just as bad as sugar, if not worse. Go cold turkey to flavored seltzer or plain water.
Y’all serious? Artificial sweeteners aren’t a problem so check your facts

McLovin

Just drink water. You don't need flavors.
Yeah I mostly just drink water, maybe I'll put lemon in it once in a while. Sometimes I'll get on a diet soda kick for a few weeks then just stop all together. I remember I once had a friend who never drank water because she didn't like the taste. I'm like how is this a thing? How are you even alive right now?! lol
Artificial sweeteners are just as bad as sugar, if not worse. Go cold turkey to flavored seltzer or plain water.
Thats actually not true, except for maybe splenda(I believe it turns into something bad when you digest it). Aspartame is bad for you in high doses... like drinking 4 liters back to back doses. Sweeteners like stevia are pretty safe, although I think it tastes horrible. I personally like Erythritol since it doesn't do anything in your body and you just pee it out. Going cold turkey is good advice too, but most people can't do that.

theWB27

You should stop cold turkey. I went to juices for flavor and continued drinking lots of water. I used to drink two to three 24 ounce Dews a day.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
I like to drink mineral water like Perrier and San Pelligrino
The minerals give just enough flavor
I just hope carbonation isn't bad for you

DOWN

Banned
Schattenjäger;243711574 said:
Diet soda has artificial sweeteners which some claim are just as bad as sugar

Flavored water has no sweeteners
Maybe think about why they are claimed to be bad before just saying they are bad

Faiz

I prefer cold turkey transitioning to water but you could also do:

Flavored water, then infused water, then straight water. Infused is near enough to being straight water tbh, but best to go to completely pure water and break the mental addiction to flavor entirely imo.

black_13

Banned
There's nothing wrong with a couple diet soda's a day. Show me a clear study saying diet soda is bad for you.

Yes water should be the main drink for staying hydrated but a couple diet soda's is really not that bad for you.

McBryBry

There's nothing wrong with a couple diet soda's a day. Show me a clear study saying diet soda is bad for you.

Yes water should be the main drink for staying hydrated but a couple diet soda's is really not that bad for you.

Therein lies my issue. I drink more of them than I do water. So if I switch the carbonation to the water, that could help.

Artificial sweeteners cause the body to produce insulin due to the taste of sweetness and since there aren't any sugars to metabolize it can cause increased resistance and contribute to diabetes moreso than real sugar, especially in those already at risk for diabetes.

DOWN

Banned
I love the GAF diet soda defense force!
More like the “please stop the unscientific vague fear posting”

Artificial sweeteners have become the most studied food ingredients in the world over the past four decades and continue to be safely consumed in all major world markets, especially those that have studied the sweeteners themselves

Oppo

Schattenjäger;243711574 said:
Diet soda has artificial sweeteners which some claim are just as bad as sugar

Flavored water has no sweeteners

what do you think the "flavours" are? it depends, some are aspartame, some sucralose... some are natural fruit juice but that can be sugary... you make the call

SG-17 said:
Artificial sweeteners cause the body to produce insulin due to the taste of sweetness and since there aren't any sugars to metabolize it can cause increased resistance and contribute to diabetes moreso than real sugar, especially in those already at risk for diabetes.
There does seem to be something to this, it's not proven or a consensus, but milk has a similar effect that has been measured in trials, as I recall. if you can turn "down" your sweet tooth that really is the best thing.

what I do personally is try to get to 2000mL of regular (filtered) water first in a day. I have an espresso then nothing but water until I hit that mark. if I do, i'm really not thirsty anymore and this helps reduce overall intake of diet sodas and such to the evening. that said I luuurve my rum & diet cokes so I do look for alternatives that aren't crazy-sugared fruit juices or other horrible things.

DonShula

For what it's worth (ie nothing), I quit diet soda because I found it was giving me headaches and irritability when I had more than two in a single day. I'd get a weird loopy feeling in the afternoon that was somewhere between a headache and sinus pressure and fatigue. Hard to describe.

I've switched to basically coffee and water now, and don't have those problems anymore. I might have a couple diet sodas per week, if that.

Top Bottom