• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Built for the future

CLEEK

"Xbox, go to Collection"

All your games are there. Alternatively,

"Xbox, go to Ryse" (or any other game or app you want to use)

Fastest navigation out there.

Are you saying it's faster to say "Xbox, go to Collection" than press a d-pad once? You must be one fast talker!

Xbox_one-VS-PS4_adverts_18.gif

Only thing Microsoft need to do is label the game covers with "better with cloud".

I lol'd

see5harp

I would have agreed with you before Metro/Modern showed that the UX designers at MS are a bunch of chumps. I will never forget my first experience of using Windows 8. It's the very pinnacle of anti-intuitive design. This is not just my personal opinion, but it is shared by respected UX designers. In the console space, navigation of the current 360 dashboard is a slow process, far more so than the XMB. It looks prettier, but form vs function should trump all other concerns. Again, this is just MS shoehorning the Modern UI into every platform, regardless of whether its suitable for it or not.

I boot up my PS3 and with one downwards press of the d-pad, I start browsing my digital games library. You have to jump through a bunch of hoops to do the same thing on the 360, and even then, it's slower to scroll through your entire library.

I can't see the Xbox One being any different, but its too early to see if Sony have bloated the PS4's UI or not. I hope not. The speed and functionality of the XMB has been consistent over the entire life of the PS3 and has been glorious.

XMB is definitely much better for browsing a library of media but how good is it in game. How do you invite someone or check your trophies in game and out? UI will always be more than just the way something is displayed. I really hope MS hasn't forgotten this fact because if the xbox or ps4 has the functionality of the XMB on ps3, I'd skip buying both. That would be pathetic.

I would have agreed with you before Metro/Modern showed that the UX designers at MS are a bunch of chumps. I will never forget my first experience of using Windows 8. It's the very pinnacle of anti-intuitive design. This is not just my personal opinion, but it is shared by respected UX designers. In the console space, navigation of the current 360 dashboard is a slow process, far more so than the XMB. It looks prettier, but form vs function should trump all other concerns. Again, this is just MS shoehorning the Modern UI into every platform, regardless of whether its suitable for it or not.

I boot up my PS3 and with one downwards press of the d-pad, I start browsing my digital games library. You have to jump through a bunch of hoops to do the same thing on the 360, and even then, it's slower to scroll through your entire library.

I can't see the Xbox One being any different, but its too early to see if Sony have bloated the PS4's UI or not. I hope not. The speed and functionality of the XMB has been consistent over the entire life of the PS3 and has been glorious.

jcZFuRsNBmGzw.png

@ taking a while to get to 360 game library: there's a section on the homescreen called 'My Pins' which you can use to bookmark games, apps and the like.

CLEEK

What tile has the focus when you boot up? What sub-menus are there under Collection?

I use my consoles for gaming. I have other devices for everything else (HTPC for media etc). My number one priority of a gaming OS is to allow me to quickly get into my games library. I don't want to scroll through redundant tiles / pages / menus. When I do get a Xbone One, I won't have Kinect connected, so navigation via the pad is all I care about.

If the Xbone One allows this, then great. I'm just basing my concerns on current experiences of the seemingly very similar 360 dashboard.

What tile has the focus when you boot up? What sub-menus are there under Collection?

I use my consoles for gaming. I have other devices for everything else (HTPC for media etc). My number one priority of a gaming OS is to allow me to quickly get into my games library. I don't want to scroll through redundant tiles / pages / menus. When I do get a Xbone One, I won't have Kinect connected, so navigation via the pad is all I care about.

If the Xbone One allows this, then great. I'm just basing my concerns on current experiences of the seemingly very similar 360 dashboard.

For gaming focus, asking for the game is the fastest.

You can also pin games just to the left.

Lastly - when you launch Focus is on the Main tile, which will be the last thing you were doing (even after startup).

JaggedSac

You are assuming you're always one click away.

What if I'm in an App? What if I'm in a game? What if I'm in the store?

Yep. And if speed to games library was a concern, then with Kinect you walk into a room, say "Xbox On", get logged in automatically, "XBox go to collection", all before even picking up the controller.

see5harp

With todays dashboard you go right to games and then press A to scroll through your library. While I do think it's easier to browse items in a list using XMB, besides browsing what you already own, the XMB isn't that much easier to use and is a lot less functional doing anything else like browsing the store, multitasking, or basically doing anything in game.

hawk2025

Everything looks and sounds awesome at this point.

I wonder how Kinect will adapt to future games. Say, something with a really japanese name. Does the tech automatically "recognize" the words somehow?

What about someone saying "Xbox go to For-za" (like pizza) instead of the proper way to pronounce it? I'm assuming all that stuff is programmable on you guys' side and updated somehow when you first download/insert a disc?

TheD

The Detective
I talked about the tangible benefits of “the cloud”: Save games, roaming profiles, content re-download.

I love how one of the main selling points of "The Cloud" are things that the 360, PS3 and Steam have had for years.

MS seems to really like the saying "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull."

Heretic

I must add one thing. As usual, someone asks a question which I didn't consider in my original post. To me, it was assumed, but it may not be assumed to everyone reading.

We provide Dedicated Servers for MULTIPLAYER games. That was implied since we're talking about multi-player gaming, but just in case, I want this on the record :)

Good stuff, man! More info on features, please.

Joemoe

Neo Member
Same way. Snap upload, start recording, unsnap upload.

You can then go back and edit.

I don't understand what you mean by snap upload. Are you saying that we can manually turn on the "DVR" to record footage for an uncapped amount of time? Or are we always limited to 5 minutes of recording at a time?

If we can "turn on the DVR" and record for as long as we want, can those recordings be transferred to PC for editing?

Satchel

Banned
Why is that threads which are positive about the xbox one always seem to attract juniors posting negative crap

While the Xbox One was knee deep in negative press, we had MS shills and virals joining. Now that MS is slowly turning it around. Maybe Sony is deploying the shills and virals.

Checking X1 UI screens.
Checking Metro with my windows 8 laptop

It's the same thing.

Really nothing to brag here
That's what I'm struggling to get to grips with.

If you go back to when they first showed the UI the general mood was that it was the same shitty tiled Windows 8 look.

Now, even though it still has that look the mood has switched to a positive one.

Just because it fades in and 'welcome back' slides out?

I actually like the Metro/Modern look but the mood change has me puzzled.

Satchel

Banned
That's what I'm struggling to get to grips with.

If you go back to when they first showed the UI the general mood was that it was the same shitty tiled Windows 8 look.

Now, even though it still has that look the mood has switched to a positive one.

Just because it fades in and 'welcome back' slides out?

I actually like the Metro/Modern look but the mood change has me puzzled.

Do people hate the LOOK of Windows 8 or the functionality?

Most have always liked the look of metro. Most designers I know and have spoken to love the look of it. I mean, flat is in right now and MS were amongst the first to push it.

Hell, they even got Apple going flat.

danwarb

The Kinect voice and universal remote stuff is a big winner for me. Being able to call up apps whenever and get at content with direct voice commands.

I really like the idea.

jusufin

The X1 definitely has a superior UI look in my opinion. It feels a little bit sleeker to me, but I've always liked the look of the Metro UI (love my Nokia Lumia). Still buying a ps4, but I really hope we can change the background on the UI.

While the Xbox One was knee deep in negative press, we had MS shills and virals joining. Now that MS is slowly turning it around. Maybe Sony is deploying the shills and virals.

It's not just the juniors. I find is astounding how those who seem to be the least interested in the XBox One somehow show up the most in threads about it and make the most comments.

Albert Penello and the team should be showing more videos. I think the more people see of the system actually running, the easier it will be than trying to explain things.

jond76

Banned
The Kinect voice and universal remote stuff is a big winner for me. Being able to call up apps whenever and get at content with direct voice commands.

I really like the idea.

I'm with you. I know it sounds petty, but today a switched between tv and 360 to hunt for some Team Umizoomi for my son, and while it wasn't painful to do, I just couldn't help think about how awesome it will be to go from live tv to amazon prime, back to live tv, then to a game, all with voice. Lots of potential there.

FINALBOSS

Banned
The X1 definitely has a superior UI look in my opinion. It feels a little bit sleeker to me, but I've always liked the look of the Metro UI (love my Nokia Lumia). Still buying a ps4, but I really hope we can change the background on the UI.

Of course you can.

Great work MS/X1, regional dedicated servers and cloud processing for all developers for free. Day one Forza is going to be FUN! My next gen Halo is looking very sexy indeed!

Your move PS+. If you don't have regional dedicated servers then you don't have me subscribing to PS+, period.

FINALBOSS

Banned
damn i had to read that twice lol good to see you giving them some props if your serious that is lol

Lol I even put the Xbone into my basket on the Best Buy website. For real it looks awesome. Very sleek and minimalistic (which I'm a huge advocate of). Sony needs to get on the horn and release some detailed UI videos soon. It feels like they've been quiet for so long.

Nice! The UI is looking pretty good, so far. Could do with less advertisements (sorry for flogging a dead horse), but otherwise I like it.

Looking forward to trying it out on the 22nd.

My god. It's true.

CPgnLA2.gif

Wow, as a 6th grade computer teacher my gamers will love this. I show them the One boot up animation and give them 20 minutes to replicate it. They will be able to show they have mastered both text and image animations, as well as slide transitions. I don't let them use animations in their presentations, and only one transition applied to all slides. This will let them go crazy.

That really is so similar it's like they created it in PowerPoint, or at least got the idea from PowerPoint.

When did "The Cloud" become Xbox Compute? I never heard it referred to that until now. Did they just rebrand it or have they been calling it that for a while?

Soupstorm

Neo Member
When did "The Cloud" become Xbox Compute? I never heard it referred to that until now. Did they just rebrand it or have they been calling it that for a while?

Probably just a branding initiative. Instead of a nebulous "cloud" that doesn't refer to anything technological, it's now an Xbox™ Thing™ that directly refers to computing and power. I can't really fault them for it, since it's also a service they provide as a platform publisher, but in general I find this function-branding mostly arbitrary and annoying.

I would really love to, while playing, say "invite friend" and inmediatly be brought my friend list or, when a friend logs in or starts playing, say "invite game/party" and bring him to my party/match.

Also will love to browse xbox music while playing. Really hope to be stream music while playing online. Probably with dedicated server my lag input won't rise too much.

Probably just a branding initiative. Instead of a nebulous "cloud" that doesn't refer to anything technological, it's now an Xbox™ Thing™ that directly refers to computing and power. I can't really fault them for it, since it's also a service they provide as a platform publisher, but in general I find this function-branding mostly arbitrary and annoying.

What he said. I don't think they ever gave it a name other than 'The Cloud' or 'Cloud.' It has a proper service name now, it seems. Xbox Live Compute. The reason why it's probably better to call it something like this is because the Xbox 360 already uses 'Cloud' in a sense, so it may be harder to get people to understand that there is a clear difference between the approaches or services, or that this is something 'new'.

That said, "Compute" is a clever term for marketing and PR purposes for a number of reasons, and I don't think that fact is entirely lost on Microsoft. People mock the cloud. Will they so easily mock "Compute?"

Couldn't you do dedicated servers without cloud? What makes cloud servers better?
The benefit is the servers don't serve a specific function, they run an abstract service using an abstract amount of resources.
You plop a bunch of data centers around the world with these servers that all work together.

A client can request any service to be run on an external server and the cloud infrustructure will find the best server to run that service on.

A service never really has to ever be "shut down", it just won't be run until a client requests it.

The infrastructure is extremely module so it's easy to scale up or down your data centers around the world based on demand.

Couldn't you do dedicated servers without cloud? What makes cloud servers better?

this is my understanding, but keep in mind i'm a MS employee..so you can take whatever I say with a grain of salt

spinning them up at locations around the world on demand. Traditional dedicated servers require setting up hardware in certain locations. There is no additional hardware headache for a dev to deal with. They don't have to splinter off IT groups to allocate enough hardware for the initial launch, and then have extra hardware there useless when the demand is 50% as much.

It's saving money and manpower for devs or publishers, whoever has to set up the servers. For MS, it's just additional hardware for Azure, which can be used for businesses around the world.

The end gamer sees no direct benefit, as these servers are virtually indistinguishable from the traditional model. However, by integrating it with the SDK (I'm assuming they are) and providing free compute and servers, they could sway indie titles or smaller games to be greenlight by publishers...as they would not have to deal with the large costs of purchasing and maintaining server-racks around the globe to support a smaller title. Potentially other devs could be taking off testing internet latency as azure is a known quantity that they can constantly iterate against.

The problem is that the 'cloud' is primarily a 'plumbing' feature, it can power a lot of interesting features by making things easy to implement, but it by itself isn't something marketable. The fluid and easy profile download, driveatar, etc are probably much easier to write and 'bring-up' than their equivalents this gen. I'm really looking forward to ways of using cloud compute during the second round of games.

Anonumos

Banned
What he said. I don't think they ever gave it a name other than 'The Cloud' or 'Cloud.' It has a proper service name now, it seems. Xbox Live Compute. The reason why it's probably better to call it something like this is because the Xbox 360 already uses 'Cloud' in a sense, so it may be harder to get people to understand that there is a clear difference between the approaches or services, or that this is something 'new'.

That said, "Compute" is a clever term for marketing and PR purposes for a number of reasons, and I don't think that fact is entirely lost on Microsoft. People mock the cloud. Will they so easily mock "Compute?"

Xbox does not compute. DONE

Top Bottom