• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

/XX/

The man is a genius. Which reminds me I need to watch Cencoroll.
Aniplex Inc., better gives to him all the time and support they can for the next cencoroll chapter (http://www.ukix.org/nl/?tag=cencoroll2).

After my Space Bros thread quickly collapsed, I learned that you can't make these things happen no matter how much you want to.
Don't worry! We can always make more threads about these series further down the road, like LTTP ones... we are carrying the gospel of great shows.

Ultimadrago

Tsuritama 6

pDGdU.png

I felt the need to post this picture yet again because the pose is pretty hip.

I got a chuckle out of Akira's reaction to the
"Catfish!"
joke.

The words of the day were "Teamwork" and "Mystery."

Overall, it was pretty solid.

1stStrike

Banned
This episode went about how I expected it. Had some single boob hanging out action as well which is always appreciated (one boob still clothed). The MC unlocked the next stage of his power and we find out that he, of course, has this amazing power that can whoop dat ass. I wish I could say I was surprised, but I'm far from it. Girls were good, though.

hdxdqp0sd.jpg

hdxd2mw5cb.jpg

My harem is better than yours.

Tsuritama 12 (end)

That was pretty mindblowing with
the scene when Haru was flying and clothes being ditched as the bait, and then Yuki pulling through it all (hilarious when Natsuki didnt dodge). Even more when the reveal of Urara, wow, he is pretty cool. Loved it

One of my favorite anime this season and year. Everything in it was so good the drama and the character designs and their interactions. Yuki, Natsuki, Haru, Akira, were all so good to each other and each hilarious. I enjoyed how they developed all throughout and bonded. Everyone so perfect with each other. The colors and music was good too. Definitely buying when Sentai releases (hope they durb it). 10/10

Ultimadrago

My harem is better than yours.

My harem brings all the girls(?) to the yard
And they're like, "It's better than yours"
Damn right, it's better than yours
something something something~

(For Unknown Soldier: "I can teach you, but I have to charge."

Now you don't have to incorrectly type out the line.)

Haruhi-chan 16-20
r3oWE.jpg

Kyon gets picked on by Haruhi multiple times.
Yuki is the master of April's Fools.
Cooking ramen for 5 hours makes them healthy.

Makoto

Kids on the Slope 12 (FINAL)

The biggest disappointment of the season. Here I was thinking this was going to be a show driven by music. And it wasn’t. While we’re tantalized by the introduction of two worlds: the world 1960s Japan and the world of jazz, both of are never realized and are instead, sacrificed in the name of mediocre drama as panhandled by its mediocre and cliche characters. Namely the insecure yet intelligent weakling, then you got the big, dumb oaf who turns teddy bear when around loved ones and then the incredibly useless female character who acts as a catalyst for a grand portion of the drama. The first two were seemingly interesting at first due to episode one’s good introduction of them but they quickly turn dull as it becomes clear that Kids on the Slope wanted little to do with music and more to do with love triangles. Actually, I’m amazed how little they did with Ritsuko as far as character background went.
She’s got complete access to a record store, with a father who plays bass yet she doesn’t play anything. At least give her a harmonica or something.

That’s not to say what little music that is in the show isn’t good. The soundtrack is serviceable and the scarce on-screen performances deliver on most fronts. However, said performances are often mere ends to the means. Or even just simple supplements to the drama as it unfolds. It rarely takes center stage and it often feels like an element to the plot that the creators themselves feel they are obligated to deliver, as if trying to satisfy a quota. Relative to the show though it makes sense, Kids on the Slope is not about the music or the discovery of such, it’s a drama featuring some people who also happen to be interested in music in some fashion.

“What’d you expect from a josei manga?” I expected a better adaptation. I expected the music to be at the forefront of with the school drama being in the backdrop, not the other way around. This was almost realized in episode one, but shortly thereafter, it becomes angst and misunderstandings all mixed in with some character designs and art direction that I still don’t agree with. There is nothing enlightening about Kids on the Slope. I’ll give it points for being a remarkable in one area: being a waste of time. It delves into the expanse of interesting worlds, only to return with no worthwhile treasure.

Tsuritama 12 (FINAL)

These last few episodes have really been above the show’s paygrade. The problem is the show is too lighthearted, to the point where it actively works against the immersion of the viewer at the expense of moments where it’s needed the most.
We know nothing awful is going to happen to these characters and we know they’re not going to fail.
There are shows where you can see the ending a mile away but the road to it is paved with sights to see. This was not the case for Tsuritama.
There’s no suspense and no sense of danger from its final act
, just a desire from the viewer to have it wrap up sooner because it’s trying too hard and fumbling
(lol WE GOT MISSILES AIMED AT YOU)
. Surprising how they dedicated so many episodes to such an act when it was more than clear that the ending
was going to be happy and that everyone would be fine.

Thankfully, the episodes that preceded it did not try to elude their function and made up for the shortcomings of the last few. In fact, the rest of the show has been sustained by everything but the third act’s script. Yuki’s
training arc
is one part of the show that I feel encapsulates the fun and almost inspirational nature of the show. Generally speaking, outstanding character design and a quirky but lovable soundtrack were two of the notable elements of the Tsuirtama. On the subject of Tsuritama’s music, it does not come as a surprise to me that Kuricorder Quartet provided the music for it as they also provided background music for their equally as memorable score for Azumanga Daioh (if Google is to be believed as I’m not getting concrete results about their involvement with AD). In any case, had I not been watching this as it was airing, I probably would not have batted another eye beyond the first few episodes. Rightly so, Tsuritama is average fun but nothing beyond that.

1stStrike

Banned
My harem brings all the girls(?) to the yard
And they're like, "It's better than yours"
Damn right, it's better than yours
something something something~

(For Unknown Soldier: I can teach you, but I have to charge.

Now you don't have to incorrectly type out the line.)

Someone please make this into a real music video featuring an otaku.

wonzo

Banned
Kids on the Slope 12 END

That was a rather hollow and disappointing ending given the
eight year time skip and all
. This probably would've been better if it was given more episodes but you can't really do anything about that now. Oh well, I guess I'll read the manga to find out what was cut/changed and see if it was for better or worse.

Tsuritama 12 (FINAL)

These last few episodes have really been above the show’s paygrade. The problem is the show is too lighthearted, to the point where it actively works against the immersion of the viewer at the expense of moments where it’s needed the most.
We know nothing awful is going to happen to these characters and we know they’re not going to fail.
There are shows where you can see the ending a mile away but the road to it is paved with sights to see. This was not the case for Tsuritama.
, just a desire from the viewer to have it wrap up sooner because it’s trying too hard and fumbling
. Surprising how they dedicated so many episodes to such an act when it was more than clear that the ending

Even if the ending being happy was never seriously in doubt, since I cared about the characters and their struggles, I was fully invested in everything they faced and everything they did. In most stories, I fully expect the good guys to win in the end; it's how exactly they get there that engages me. Sure, the show was light-hearted, but apart from some issues with the eyecatches I felt it nailed the tone of increasing danger and tension starting in episode 6 onwards. There was a definite crescendo up through the final episode's brilliant moment of catharsis. After learning to open himself up to others, Yuki proved that he had grown by being willing to fight for his friends when they needed him. By tying in the major plot with his and the others' character development, the show totally sold me on it all.

Anyway, I'm sorry you didn't get everything out of the show that I got, but at least you got something.

1stStrike

Banned
Fig Interjection Post™

Nonsense Horizon again, lol.
http://i.imgur.com/3EPxq.jpg

All those F/Z palettes, dangie. That's a lot of EMS money ~
http://ameblo.jp/gsc-mikatan/entry-11288306758.html

o0515070412050041650pod2p.jpg

Dat Saber ass. I want that figure - I don't normally collect them, but this looks awesome. It looks like it's pretty damn expensive, though - something like $132 USD? Wowzers

It would seem people of all size and shapes seek the power (and fashion sense) of the mahou shoujo!

I would pay good money to see a big burly dude wear that IRL to Walmart or something.

survivor

Banned
Tsuritama 12

Amazing ending. I really enjoyed the happy feels good tone of the anime and I loved all the characters. Really good to see them develop and interact with each other. By far the best anime of the season and I always looked forward to each episode, good to see Nakamura still got it.

Speaking of Nakamura, right now it's Trapeze > Mononoke > Tsuritama.

Not to say Tsuritama isn't great but I found Mononoke to be better visually and I liked its settings, mystery and supernatural elements of the show. And for Trapeze, I just loved the personal stories of each of the characters and related to them a lot.

/XX/

I'd agree if I didn't have the general idea that a well told and presented story is good even if it is somewhat predictable. In some works that is what makes something really memorable, wanting you to revisit them many more times even when the shock of the first moment wears down. Like the legend on that scroll the people of Enoshima worship, everyone knows how all happened but it still is something to treasure and remember.

The character interactions carry this show through the most strange or unconventional settings, and that for me is enough to care for the rest.

The Sacred Blacksmith 2
YGB7F.jpg

She must have gotten her breast plate from someone in Queen's Blade.
The first part basically concludes where the first episode left off, then the second half just has to deal with Cecily trying to get the sexist Luke to forge her a katana. A so-so episode, the very end of the episode is obviously a set up for what the show is probably going to revolve around. On to the next episode.
7UD2f.jpg

Cambell's Boobs.

Speaking of Nakamura, right now it's Trapeze > Mononoke > Tsuritama.

Yes.

I'd agree if I didn't have the general idea that a well told and presented story is good even if it is somewhat predictable. In some works that is what makes something really memorable, wanting you to revisit them many more times even when the shock of the first moment wears down. Like the legend on that scroll the people of Enoshima worship, everyone knows how all happened but it still is something to treasure and remember.

The character interactions carry this show through the most strange or unconventional settings, and that for me is enough to care for the rest.

Predictability of plot is a criticism I really can't sympathize with; it's all about the execution of said plot. If you can come up with a fantastic twist that works perfectly, great, but far too often I find that works which try hard to be unpredictable just end up becoming complete nonsense and shallow yanking about of the audience.

duckroll

It doesn't matter if you know nothing bad is going to happen to the characters, the important thing is how they complete their journey. The destination might not be in doubt, but how do they earn that? The core theme of Tsuritama is learning what friendship means and finding something in life worth doing.

It's a journey of how a boy who have constantly been moving from place to place finally settles down and finds a group of people he can connect with in a common interest which he didn't even know he had. Learning a new hobby with a bunch of new people in a new place, and that being his anchor to live his next phase in life. That is the real story of Tsuritama. The exaggeration and science fiction elements of aliens and saving the world are just flavorings to make the production more interesting and quirky.

It's kinda funny if you think about it, but ultimately Tsuritama and Kids on the Slope were really about the same themes and character growth directions. The difference is that Tsuritama developed the entire cast well, knew how to make the best use of the 12 episodes, and in the end focused on the things which mattered without ever diverting from the course. On the other hand Kids on the Slope bit on more than it could chew by trying to adapt 9 whole volumes of an acclaimed manga in a mere 12 episodes. Too many dynamics, too many sub plots, too many complications. Even with severe editing, it was never going to come out perfectly.

Kids on the Slope Final
Damn, that was great. The time skip was a bit jarring but I got used to them condensing the manga throughout the series, it was a great ending overall - one of my favourite anime ever :D

wonzo

Banned
tsuritama 12 END

Yet another Nakamura masterpiece to add to the list. Unlike Kids, this managed to have a very strong start but actually managed to get better with each and every episode until the very end. Amazing.

I wonder if Koko came back with Haru.

ibg0ZVfsqQkZDQ.gif
ibg0ZVfsqQkZDQ.gif
ibg0ZVfsqQkZDQ.gif
ilUCeT9sMM9Uw.jpg
ifhjQjUiwIGgc.gif
ifhjQjUiwIGgc.gif
ifhjQjUiwIGgc.gif

So I started teh fsn vn.

Archer is kinda cool. Rin is tsundere.

I know I shouldn't judge something by its looks... but man... that art. ugh.

It does make me appreciate f/z art more. With what ya got to work with... ugh.

1stStrike

Banned
So I started teh fsn vn.

Archer is kinda cool. Rin is tsundere.

I know I shouldn't judge something by its looks... but man... that art. ugh.

It does make me appreciate f/z art more. With what ya got to work with... ugh.

I'm sorry.

From what I gather, Fate/Stay sucked balls when it first came out, so we should be happy that we were lucky enough for a competent studio to get Fate/Zero and make it into something much better than it should've been.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Lupin III - A Woman Named Mine Fujiko 13 [FINAL]

If it wasn't for the fact that you saw boobs every 4~5 min, I would've been convinced I was watching an episode of Adventure Time. I was waiting for Finn to make his appearance but he sadly never came. They honestly should've just stuck with heist shenanigans instead of wasting half of their episodes with this owl cult BS as it was not interesting in the least.

I probably would've been better off if I just called it quits after this episode.

wonzo

Banned
ivBdpgs9X9cdi.jpg

my collection of good and bad animes continues to grow unabated

In other news, as a follow-up to articalys' previous post on VA Gotou Yuuko, I'm pleased to announce that she has gotten out of critical condition and will be able to leave the hospital.

-According to her blog

For those who didn't know, she is suffering from an autoimmune disease which brought about cardiac tamponade.

Glad she was able to recover for now as far her heart goes!
This is great news!

Clott

Just finished Kids on the Slope

And well I think all in all it was a pretty great show, but the ending was so underwhelming!!!

I am reading the manga along side, and I hope that it fleshes out the ending a bit more.

And why did she cut her hair?! It looked terrible.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
In other news, as a follow-up to articalys' previous post on VA Gotou Yuuko, I'm pleased to announce that she has gotten out of critical condition and will be able to leave the hospital.

-According to her blog

For those who didn't know, she is suffering from an autoimmune disease which brought about cardiac tamponade.

Glad she was able to recover for now as far her heart goes!

That is GREAT news! Glad to hear she's recovering! ^_^

wonzo

Banned
Nice Eva, if only the superior character was on the cover. Im still waiting for a blu ray release for it, I hope.
Yeah, the lack of Misato on the other side of the box (damn Asuka) is a real shame. Oh well, at least she's on one of the thinpak covers!

Is Neon Genesis worth giving a 2nd chance? I was so disgusted by the main character that I quit watching it at all episode 3.
Um, why would you be disgusted by Shinji?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Is Neon Genesis worth giving a 2nd chance? I was so disgusted by the main character that I quit watching it at episode 3.

While I would recommend it because it's a classic, if you don't like Shinji now your opinion of him won't improve much by the end, so no.

Is Neon Genesis worth giving a 2nd chance? I was so disgusted by the main character that I quit watching it at episode 3.

Im extremely biased for eva is one of my top five anime and Shinji is just phenomenal...but you definitely must give it a 2nd watch. I mean, how can anyone avoid sci mech action, like the best genre even.

Andrew J.

Ano Natsu 02

Ichika is so :cajun, and also pretty :chetrippo. She is also the worst alien in disguise I have ever seen. The other characters are all pretty stupid for not figuring it out, except for the one who seems to know already.

Kanna has a rotary phone. When is this supposed to take place, exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom