• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

But the rest of GAF is a dark and scary place. D:
So far I've posted in a nice amount a threads...just go for the safe ones. Mainly OT lol.

I usually post in stuff like the Olympic threads or in community.

don't post in that chick fill A one in OT tho...that is a graveyard. I don't even open it anymore because of how dangerous it has become lol

Drencrom

But the rest of GAF is a dark and scary place. D:

One day, Oyashiro...

tumblr_m6xhw7HNn81r85earo1_500.png

What in the actual fuck is that

A manga Oyashiro's avatar orginates from.

There's other threads on gaf? Haha
I am so hyped for this game. The beta is still really fun, been playing it a ton (rhymed!)
Ratchet and Sackboy for Gamescom! I really need to get Nariko out of the way though... I just personally don't like her

LOL. Yeah Oyashiro, I'd stay right here till you hit member status, just to be safe. Gaf tends to either pay no attention to you, or avalanche you with nonsense and hate. It also depends on what type of poster you are, you seem like a pretty nice person so :)

GAH I can't wait to play the new characters when I get to Musikfest on saturday.

LOL. Yeah Oyashiro, I'd stay right here till you hit member status, just to be safe. Gaf tends to either pay no attention to you, or avalanche you with nonsense and hate. It also depends on what type of poster you are, you seem like a pretty nice person so :)

GAH I can't wait to play the new characters when I get to Musikfest on saturday.

I am expecting the most in depth impressions I will ever read!
no pressure

Noi

I've been betraying you guys and hanging out in the Persona 4 Arena thread as of late. :( I love my fighting games, I can't help it!

Will definitely jump back to the beta once the next update rolls around~

It's just a dream to have the thread ready and everyone's sporting J. Tate colors. ;(

I kinda wonder what the creators of her are up to. Hopefully not drugs because of the poor sales.

I am expecting the most in depth impressions I will ever read!
no pressure

Well there is a hurdle - my wife is coming with me. I'm going to see how much I can play before she threatens me :p I'm going to only play the new characters and write down as many notes as I can. They better still have some swag too, I've been slaving away at these posts for god knows how long (and even longer on the PS forums) so I just want a t-shirt or something ;-;

I'm going to miss this thread though. I remember those dark days before people got their hands on it outside the initial press event. So much hate, so much skepticism. Wait. Isn't that still going on? ._.

From destructoid preview:
The beta has me more concerned with balance and blocking. Some specials just feel ridiculous like Radec’s level 2 Plasma Canon that wipes out all players facing it, even when you jump above it. Then there is Fat Princess' Cake Rush, which makes the game a CAKE WALK (!).

Are they seriously suggesting Radec 2 and Fat Peach 1 are too good? :/

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry I'm a little behind on this thread but this post caught my attention:

Ok so i would say my only beef with the current build of the game is how loooooong it takes to build super above lvl1.
Ive found that after you hit the lvl 1 mark, the super bar starts to build considerably slower, then even slower once you hit the lvl 2 mark.

I decided i was going to go for a lvl 3 with Kratos and it took all game to get it with 10 seconds left when i used it. I was comboing, i was beat boppin' and scattin' all over the place and it still took me that long.
To be fair i did end up getting four kills with it, but that was my total kill count.

Conversely i may get as many as 5 lvl ones in a single game if im just as efficient because the first bar builds so much faster than the next two, with potential for 1-3 kills per.
So assuming i get a least an average of 1 kill per super (and that could be two with 0 kills and two 2 kills and one with 1 kill, or however you want to divide it)
thats 5 kills, thats 9 points assuming i die at least once, which is one more than my lvl 3 was able to pull out.

And its not uncommon for me (or anybody really) to get upwards of 21 points in a game (with one death thrown in for maths sake) using the lvl 1 super only tactic.
So thats eleven kills. Assuming i pulled off 5 lvl 1's in that match thats 2.2 kills per super.

So in order for a lvl3 to be economic in the timed matches we are playing, it would have to get me twice as many kills as it does.

But quite frankly the way it is fine for Kratos, Sly, and maybe even FP.

But for Parappa, Radec, and Sweet Tooth, lvl 1s are NOT what they are looking for.

So my solution is this:

First off, make gauge building faster in general, its more fun if your able to pull more stuff off,
and that would start pushing the highest amount of points from the low 20's to the mid 30's!!

But more importantly make gauge building character specific.
Its no secret that Sweet Tooth's lvl3 is worse than Kratos lvl3. And yet it takes just as much time to get there for both characters.
For example what if Sweet Tooth was able to get his lvl3 maybe even twice as fast as Kratos. Then all the sudden Sweet Tooth becomes a hell of a lot more of a contender.
It doesnt matter that his lvl3 is worse because he'll be able to get it so much more often.

Same thing goes for lvl 2's, if Parappa and Radec and maybe FP were able to get their lvl2's faster, then bam skate boards and laser beams and chickens be all over the place.

Obviously there is a lot of balancing that would have to go into it.

Like how fast is too fast, who needs it faster more than others etc.

And stock play would work differently, but even then i think the same principals apply.
But when the name of the game is "get as many kills as fast as possible" there needs to be some speed changes.

And maybe something like this has already been implemented in the full product, and we all know that the beta is an early build for sure.

If so i suppose the one thing that i would want for sure is faster over all gauge building.
Two lvl 3's in one match shouldn't be completely impossible. :p

Thus completes my essay :3

I briefly stated this before, but after reading your essay I feel even more strongly about it. This game NEEDS to make getting level 2 and level 3s a whole lot easier. I really think they should even scale it all the way back to each level taking exactly the same amount of ap to obtain. It's simple math that if level 1 gets 1 kill, level 2 gets 2 kills and level 3 gets 3 kills that each super level needs to be worth the same amount, and the math is even worse than that in practice, with level ones being 2-3 kills and level 2 being 3 kills and level 3 being 3 kills. And its pretty obvious that this is only get worse when we bring 1v1, 2v2, and 3 player FFA into the mix where the absolute max kills you can get diminishes on level 2 and 3s.

If it stays as is we are going to see 90% level 1s and 10% level 2s and that just sucks. It may even get worse when people get the opportunity to learn how to combo into a level 1. This is the biggest negative of the beta and something that needs to be fixed across the board. I'm even forcing myself not to gain any AP when I am near a level 2, looking to burn through the level 1. And thats just not right.

I'm sure they'd need some other changes to balance it back, like making each bar taking up more ap and thus the level 1 taking longer to build, and making the level 3s that can last long enough to easily kill the same guy twice make it a little harder to do twice.

I get that they want to make the level 3 a nice ooh and awe moment by making it so hard to get, but I don't want the level 3 to be so bad that it is only a sign of someone either not good at the game or not trying their hardest to win. Level 3 supers should be really awesome, not a sign of competitive lameness.

This is a far bigger issue than sound effects or UI ever could be. I'd still like this game if it's only level 1s with very occasional level 2s, but I really hope we don't have to settle for that.

The only problem I see with my plan is the newbies and casuals that only want to do level 3s not enjoying level 3s as much as they could because its not quite hard enough and therefore special enough, but they wouldn't be crushed by easy to get level 3s, while the competitive space might be. Some casuals may even enjoy getting a lot of level 3s in one match.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It's really funny to keep seeing these previews from various publications saying that the game isn't the same as Smash, and stands on it's own. We've been saying that since we got our hands on it, but get dismissed as SDF or fanboys.

The game is it's own thing, while being inspired by Smash and other titles in the genre. I haven't played it in a few days (been doing OT at work this week), but I'll try and get a game or two in tonight. I've also been distracted by Sound Shapes, which is all sorts of awesome.

This is all to please the departed spirits whom were once our comrades and honor the divine entity that is Jennifer Tate, who reigns over PSASBRGAF and supports us throughout dark times, strengthening our souls to prepare for haters, misleading hints that toy with our desires and the possibility that the game will be infested with anti-consumer practices that are accepted by the short-sighted homo sapiens who dwell on this planet and give our hedonistic lifestyles a putrid reputation.

TheMink

Sorry I'm a little behind on this thread but this post caught my attention:

I briefly stated this before, but after reading your essay I feel even more strongly about it. This game NEEDS to make getting level 2 and level 3s a whole lot easier. I really think they should even scale it all the way back to each level taking exactly the same amount of ap to obtain. It's simple math that if level 1 gets 1 kill, level 2 gets 2 kills and level 3 gets 3 kills that each super level needs to be worth the same amount, and the math is even worse than that in practice, with level ones being 2-3 kills and level 2 being 3 kills and level 3 being 3 kills. And its pretty obvious that this is only get worse when we bring 1v1, 2v2, and 3 player FFA into the mix where the absolute max kills you can get diminishes on level 2 and 3s.

If it stays as is we are going to see 90% level 1s and 10% level 2s and that just sucks. It may even get worse when people get the opportunity to learn how to combo into a level 1. This is the biggest negative of the beta and something that needs to be fixed across the board. I'm even forcing myself not to gain any AP when I am near a level 2, looking to burn through the level 1. And thats just not right.

I'm sure they'd need some other changes to balance it back, like making each bar taking up more ap and thus the level 1 taking longer to build, and making the level 3s that can last long enough to easily kill the same guy twice make it a little harder to do twice.

I get that they want to make the level 3 a nice ooh and awe moment by making it so hard to get, but I don't want the level 3 to be so bad that it is only a sign of someone either not good at the game or not trying their hardest to win. Level 3 supers should be really awesome, not a sign of competitive lameness.

This is a far bigger issue than sound effects or UI ever could be. I'd still like this game if it's only level 1s with very occasional level 2s, but I really hope we don't have to settle for that.

The only problem I see with my plan is the newbies and casuals that only want to do level 3s not enjoying level 3s as much as they could because its not quite hard enough and therefore special enough, but they wouldn't be crushed by easy to get level 3s, while the competitive space might be. Some casuals may even enjoy getting a lot of level 3s in one match.

Absolutely, in its current state I just can't justify the lvl 3 especially because I'm thinking so much on a mathematical level.
I actually like your solution better than my own, and it's simpler too.

At the very least make the each bar gain equally in between.
Because even if lvl 1s only got you 1 kill per, you can gain 3 lvl 1 supers almost twice as fast as you get 1 lvl 3.
It's not economical.

SSReborn

Absolutely, in its current state I just can't justify the lvl 3 especially because I'm thinking so much on a mathematical level.
I actually like your solution better than my own, and it's simpler too.

At the very least make the each bar gain equally in between.
Because even if lvl 1s only got you 1 kill per, you can gain 3 lvl 1 supers almost twice as fast as you get 1 lvl 3.
It's not economical.

I believe the level 3 is there for a casual player. Basically so even if they are losing badly they can still have fun kind of like power plays in Uncharted 3 at least thats how I've always viewed them.

TheMink

I believe the level 3 is there for a casual player. Basically so even if they are losing badly they can still have fun kind of like power plays in Uncharted 3 at least thats how I've always viewed them.

Yeah but then they don't even get close, and it limits our options as the player considerably.

Additionally, I would make the same argument for the even the lvl 2. Not as much, but still I think it's true.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Level 3's seem to be geared towards a casual player that may not be that proficient with utilizing the Level 1 and 2 skills proficiently, but still wants to get a kill or two in.

From my experiences with the beta, it seems like the more advanced players are doing work with the Level 1 and 2 supers.

SSReborn

Yeah but then they don't even get close, and it limits our options as the player considerably.

Additionally, I would make the same argument for the even the lvl 2. Not as much, but still I think it's true.

I think I get what your getting at and a thought just occured to me would you guys like to see a system in the sequel where characters have multiple supers for each level? (except for level 3) You can choose which one you want to equip at the character select screen It would basically be like what they had for the Naruto games from the PS2 era.

So for level 1 I'd have 3 supers to choose from, Level 2 I'd have 2 Supers

Each having their own strengths and weaknesses and would be chosen based upon which one works better for the individual character.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I think I get what your getting at and a thought just occured to me would you guys like to see a system in the sequel where characters have multiple supers for each level? (except for level 3) You can choose which one you want to equip at the character select screen It would basically be like what they had for the Naruto games from the PS2 era.

Each having their own strengths and weaknesses and would be chosen based upon which one works better for the individual character.

That's not a bad idea, but how about a sequel scheme like this:

L2: Super Tier A (levels 1, 2, and 3)
R2 Super Tier B (levels 1, 2, and 3)

So, six supers total.

R1: Taunt

And you pick up items by simply walking over them and pressing down (crouch).

I like the 3 super level, but I wouldn't mind having a few more for variety's sake. Still, save some for the sequel!

Like many others, I first thought that it would be nice to select your supers when with R2 + A1, A2 or A3. But they were pretty adamant that the superlevel is a commitment.

6 supers per character seems a tad much, though. I can't even think of a traditional versus fighting game that has that many as a standard.

Quick question, who is by far the most popular character in the beta? Kratos right?

Boss Man

Like many others, I first thought that it would be nice to select your supers when with R2 + A1, A2 or A3. But they were pretty adamant that the superlevel is a commitment.

6 supers per character seems a tad much, though. I can't even think of a traditional versus fighting game that has that many as a standard.

Quick question, who is by far the most popular character in the beta? Kratos right?
Seems to be Sly to me, though I'm not sure if any of them are "by far."

edit: Oh, do you mean the character itself? That's definitely Kratos yeah.

SSReborn

That's not a bad idea, but how about a sequel scheme like this:

L2: Super Tier A (levels 1, 2, and 3)
R2 Super Tier B (levels 1, 2, and 3)

So, six supers total.

R1: Taunt

And you pick up items by simply walking over them and pressing down (crouch).

I like the 3 super level, but I wouldn't mind having a few more for variety's sake. Still, save some for the sequel!

Well the reason why I wouldn't want to give them 6 specials in the match would be because it would make it hard for the defense to know whats coming. I could flip flop between them during the match and my opponent will never be able to actually put up a proper strategy . So i went with the more SSF4 approach where I have like two specials to pick from in which both have different properties and uses. This would be helpful for say someone like parappa who's special comes out at a AA angle it could give him that and say something more traditional as well.

TheMink

That would be awesome.

I think a really cool option they could include maybe in a sequel that would gear toward caual players more Is a dedicated bar that fills only when damage is taken/getting killed.
Essentially the ultra bar in sfiv.

And that would give one more method to get a kill too.

Had the feeling it was Kratos, thanks! From all the impressions, Sly seems to be the no.1 most annoying character, but he doesn't seem to be mechanically busted. The lack of a block button doesn't seem to harm him.

Mush

Who will join the list of the banned and the damned?

Find out next week, when the saga of Jennifer Tate continues.

SSReborn

It does if you try to power through Kratos with him lol.

Even against Kratos I don't think he's really hampered his command counter is very effective as an option for the lack of block. Then his electric slide is basically his alternative for a roll.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Level 3's seem to be geared towards a casual player that may not be that proficient with utilizing the Level 1 and 2 skills proficiently, but still wants to get a kill or two in.

From my experiences with the beta, it seems like the more advanced players are doing work with the Level 1 and 2 supers.

But would it really hurt casual players if they were a little bit easier to get to? I really think the AP meter hurts even casual players in the end, especially after they give us a little more onscreen info.

They are retooling the UI, hopefully including a meter that better shows how much harder it is to get a level 3 than a level 1. And from my experience with smash, even casual players like to play in stock mode all of the time, and I think even they are going to get suspicious when they see a level one user blow through peoples stocks, while that level 3 they worked all match to get only takes off a fifth of everyone's lives. I think for the way kills work here, anti-stock is going to be the better mode but it still applies.

Hell even with my plan, level 1s are still the best. Three level 1s for most characters are going to be beneficial to those that know how to use them. If there is a casual that can only kill with level 3s, it's going to benefit him that he could easily throw a level 3 out and even have time to build another level 2 or 3. It brings him up closer to my level, while still giving me the advantage.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

My gut says it sounds to complicated, and would take up development time id rather have spent on making new characters. But I'd be willing to see it in action at least.

Doing some balance changes to make level 2 and 3s actually viable would be a much greater benefit for much less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom