• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Unchained |OT| - It's not an X - [UP] Worldwide Release

tdwig

Neo Member
Had no idea this was coming to NA so soon! Been awhile since I've actually gotten play something new & KH related, watched the trailer and it actually looks pretty rad. I've never actually waited for an app release before, what is the typical release time for an iOS app?

Nudull

Banned
I've never been so excited for a mobile game in my life. Going into this, completely in the dark outside of a sentence of plot (I'm a keyblader from the future, sent into the past).

*plays Simple and Clean for maximum hype* :D

iosefe

Kingdom Hearts facebook page be playin'

they say it's released with links to the respective stores, but it is a lie

PsychBat!

Banned
I've never been so excited for a mobile game in my life. Going into this, completely in the dark outside of a sentence of plot (I'm a keyblader from the future, sent into the past).

*plays Simple and Clean for maximum hype* :D

which version?

the game takes place during the FUCKING KEYBLADE WAR
you know the whole damn reason Xehanort is doing this bullshit to begin with
aka this game in a way caused all the events that happened so far
think about that for a moment

So I want to get back into KH but it's been...like a decade or something ridiculous like that. If I only have a PS4 and a PC I can't get KH 2.5 HD Remix right? Is there ANY indication that Square will put out that game on PS4 or am I going to just have to move on?

xclk07

Wait... Did the Android vs. just get pushed back? The KH FB page says I can "pre-register" on Google Play (which I did and it says it'll notify me when released), but the next sentence says released 4/7 on iOS.

iosefe

Wait... Did the Android vs. just get pushed back? The KH FB page says I can "pre-register" on Google Play (which I did and it says it'll notify me when released), but the next sentence says released 4/7 on iOS.

jumped the gun

Argh. I've been super invested in the KH series' continuing story ever since I played the original game and I've been onboard with it even up through Dream Drop Distance's relative weirdness, but I am REALLY not a fan of how much they've been blurring and seemingly overcomplicating the story with all this Unchained and [chi] stuff. The games might be fine, and I'll probably mess around with Unchained for awhile now that it's coming out in the west, but really I'm just here for the story... and it's a shame that so much of KH 2.8 and KH III seem to rely solely on Unchained and [chi]. It's like, what about everything else that has been building up in the games 99% of fans have played versus the mobile and browser titles that (comparatively) so few even have any idea about?

Even worse, it doesn't seem as if Back Cover is going to be a summation of all this new story content either so much as it is an alternate look at it, so if you only want to play 2.8 and skip out on Unchained entirely, (it seems like) you're still missing out on a significant chunk of canonical story material and will be going into KH III underprepared.

Then there's also the fact that the browser game, which is still apparently considered its own separate, important entry in the canon despite its story similarities to Unchained, will never be playable outside of Japan. It's like, what are they even doing now? I was all about Square unifying the series' entire story on one platform prior to KH III via the HD ReMIXes, but it seems like they're undermining their own efforts toward that end with Unchained and [chi], neither of which are covered at all on PS4 or PS3 (since, again, Back Cover apparently is its own OTHER thing) and one of which is only playable in one region in the world. It's just bizarre and it feels like they've really lost their focus, and this comes from a seriously hardcore fan of the series.

Ah well, it is what it is. I suppose I can always mess around with Unchained and wait for a story summary when the app's service eventually ends (before KH III's release? After? Who knows...).

</rant>

Argh. I've been super invested in the KH series' continuing story ever since I played the original game and I've been onboard with it even up through Dream Drop Distance's relative weirdness, but I am REALLY not a fan of how much they've been blurring and seemingly overcomplicating the story with all this Unchained and [chi] stuff. The games might be fine, and I'll probably mess around with Unchained for awhile now that it's coming out in the west, but really I'm just here for the story... and it's a shame that so much of KH 2.8 and KH III rely solely on Unchained and [chi]. It's like, what about everything else that has been building up in the games 99% of fans have played versus the mobile and browser titles that (comparatively) so few even have any idea about?

Even worse, it doesn't seem as if Back Cover is going to be a summation of all this new story content either so much as it is an alternate look at it, so if you only want to play 2.8 and skip out on Unchained entirely, (it seems like) you're still missing out on a significant chunk of canonical story material.

Then there's also the fact that the browser game, which is still apparently considered its own separate, important entry in the canon despite its similarities to Unchained, will never be playable outside of Japan. It's like, what are they even doing? I was all about them unifying the series' entire story on one platform prior to KH III via the HD ReMIXes, but it seems like they're undermining their own efforts toward that end with Unchained and [chi], neither of which are covered at all on PS4 (since, again, Back Cover apparently is its own OTHER thing) and one of which is only playable in one region in the world. It's just bizarre and it feels like they've really lost their focus, and this comes from a seriously hardcore fan of the series.

Ah well, it is what it is. I suppose I can always mess around with Unchained and wait for a story summary when the app's service eventually ends (before KH III's release? After? Who knows...).

</rant>

They are saving everything for a 2.9 complete collection (basically KH3 ultimate edition)

Somewhat serious prediction here

I really do hope they release everything in a huge collection. I won't mind paying way above average if it just collects everything in one box on a current console before KH3.

Malyse

You'll get what you need to know for III from any of the three. If you want a more complete understanding of the [chi] story and the Keyblade War, then play all three. Knowing that the PC game closing soon makes me think I can guess how this going to play out, but I'll keep that to myself cause spoilers.

Pity though. [chi] had a lot more depth than Unchained.

Seigyoku

iOS 7.0 or later for the person who was asking if it would be 9 only.

Of course this comes out when I have a Sector Battle in Uprising coming up and I'm still in Timesheet hell with work.

raven777

Cfa7PFwVIAAa26E

Argh. I've been super invested in the KH series' continuing story ever since I played the original game and I've been onboard with it even up through Dream Drop Distance's relative weirdness, but I am REALLY not a fan of how much they've been blurring and seemingly overcomplicating the story with all this Unchained and [chi] stuff. The games might be fine, and I'll probably mess around with Unchained for awhile now that it's coming out in the west, but really I'm just here for the story... and it's a shame that so much of KH 2.8 and KH III seem to rely solely on Unchained and [chi]. It's like, what about everything else that has been building up in the games 99% of fans have played versus the mobile and browser titles that (comparatively) so few even have any idea about?

Even worse, it doesn't seem as if Back Cover is going to be a summation of all this new story content either so much as it is an alternate look at it, so if you only want to play 2.8 and skip out on Unchained entirely, (it seems like) you're still missing out on a significant chunk of canonical story material and will be going into KH III underprepared.

Then there's also the fact that the browser game, which is still apparently considered its own separate, important entry in the canon despite its story similarities to Unchained, will never be playable outside of Japan. It's like, what are they even doing now? I was all about Square unifying the series' entire story on one platform prior to KH III via the HD ReMIXes, but it seems like they're undermining their own efforts toward that end with Unchained and [chi], neither of which are covered at all on PS4 or PS3 (since, again, Back Cover apparently is its own OTHER thing) and one of which is only playable in one region in the world. It's just bizarre and it feels like they've really lost their focus, and this comes from a seriously hardcore fan of the series.

</rant>
I think the story has sort of been off the rail since KHII, and even that game was pushing it. Nobodies seemed like a natural progression from the elements introduced in KH, but everything since then seems random and over complicated.

Top Bottom