• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riverdale |OT| Teen Peaks (or: Archie's Weirder Mysteries) - Thursday, 9/8c on The CW

Definitely wanna know what the case with Jellybean is. I'm gonna choose to believe she's living a happy life somewhere - someone connected to Riverdale needs some happiness in their life.

jrush64

Banned
I'm not really feeling the main character as Archie right now. He's kinda dull. The rest of the cast is great but he's not that memorable.

I'm enjoying this but it has such a weird tone. Way different from the Archie's Digest I remember obviously but it's like the show doesn't know what it wants to be. Serious but sarcastic at the same time and swings between dark/moody and goofy too frequently. Plus how are we supposed to take Jughead's beanie seriously? Also Betty's mom is garbage.

From the four episode s we've had, the show has been at its best when it is self aware of the genre it's in the character stereotypes it's using.

Replicant

Is every adult except maybe Archie's and Kevin's dads are morally bankrupt in this town?

It's a wonder that their kids turn out relatively well, so to speak. I guess the parents are hypocrite enough to the point that they are able to instil decency on their kids while doing dirty shenanigans on their own.

The episode made me sad for all of the kids. Archie is dumb but he seriously liked Grundy. B&V do not deserve to be manipulated like that by their parents. Jughead is obviously at a point where he no longer care about his parents and just surviving on his own. I know exactly what Kevin feels. That one-night-stand won't erase the heartache and longing that he wants for another guy.

Someone mentioned it during the episode, but the way he called her Miss Grundy instead of Geraldine really nailed home the situation. That was a really nice touch.
Yup. Archie will always know her as Miss Grundy, and until he comes to the realization that he was wrong (or that she wronged him) might finally call her Jennifer.
Looks like it's coming soon.
It is. Episode 6 is a HUGE Josie episode. Amazing new Josie and the Pussycats song, and a goddamn huge revelation in the mystery.

Goodstyle

I love this show so much, that I already want a musical episode in the next season (since I heard the cast is talented at singing). Like, the main 4 get their own songs, B&V get a duet, Cheryl gets a villain song, filler, filler, Josie and the Pussycats closes it out.

Permanently A

Decent episode. The whole time I was pretty aloof on Jughead's storyline but then it all comes together at the end.

Also, the break in at the sheriff's house! Who could it be? Almost all the major players were at the cinema.

Replicant

I hope the writers will focus a bit more outside the main 5 sometimes. I want to see more Moose and Dilton. And maybe Reggie if he's not such a dick.

SRG01

You didn't see her staring down those hot boys at the end there?

Well,
she stared them down, but her expression was very different than before.

I dunno, at first I interpreted the end of her story arc as
her trying to move on -- first from her husband (and newfound freedom) and now her tryst with Archie. Now I'm not sure how I feel about her whole character...

Also, can someone remind me how we're doing spoiler tags in this thread? The Agents of SHIELD thread doesn't have any spoiler tags unless it's for a future episode.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Also, can someone remind me how we're doing spoiler tags in this thread? The Agents of SHIELD thread doesn't have any spoiler tags unless it's for a future episode.

Once the episode has aired spoiler tags aren't needed. The only things that need to be spoiler tagged are production details about future episodes and discussion about the previews for future episodes.

I'm keeping my Betty's dad killed Jason theory strong and I also think he destroyed the Sheriff's evidence. Most of the other parents and kids were busy with either the Grundy stuff or the drive in and he appeared earlier in the episode briefly.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Do we know why Betty's mom hates Archie so much? It's a bit ridiculous.

I also agree that Kevin's dad is the only good adult in the whole town. Doesn't care that his kid's gay, just wants him to be carefully when he's scoping dudes.

I also agree that Kevin's dad is the only good adult in the whole town. Doesn't care that his kid's gay, just wants him to be carefully when he's scoping dudes.
I think this episode heavily implied she was basically viewing her hatred of Betty and Archie as friends as her seeing them like another Polly and Jason.

Permanently A

Betty alluded to it at the end. Betty's mom is a control freak and is afraid she'll lose Betty like she lost Polly. She blames losing Polly to Jason, and she thinks the same could happen with Betty and Archie.

I'm keeping my Betty's dad killed Jason theory strong and I also think he destroyed the Sheriff's evidence. Most of the other parents and kids were busy with either the Grundy stuff or the drive in and he appeared earlier in the episode briefly.

So who wasn't at the cinema?

Betty's dad
Vixens
Pussycats
The Mayor
Reggie
Doiley

Anyone I missed? Pretty slim pickings honestly, I think Doiley is the only legit pick.

Replicant

To be fair, Archie's dad is not bad either....apart from his dubious choices in women (Grundy, Betty's dodgy mom).

Faddy

Banned
I love this show so much. I guess the only character lacking development is Josie.

I see all the terrible things about this show and I am like "who cares, give me more". This is a legit good bad show.

I'm also trying to watch Legion and while I can see the quality (good writing, directing etc) it is just too much work. I'll take Riverdale every time.

Replicant

Ethen, who might be another legit pick with how she was a-okaying the Chuck thing. Chuck himself too.

Ethel. I thought she looks suspicious during that scene. Enjoying the torture far too much. But then again I don't like the actress and don't see why Stranger Things fans were creaming themselves after her.

Ethel. I thought she looks suspicious during that scene. Enjoying the torture far too much. But then again I don't like the actress and don't see why Stranger Things fans were creaming themselves after her.

IMO Shannon Purser is legit. If she looked happy during
the B+V pool scene
, it was because she was seeking revenge on Chuck.

Betty alluded to it at the end. Betty's mom is a control freak and is afraid she'll lose Betty like she lost Polly. She blames losing Polly to Jason, and she thinks the same could happen with Betty and Archie.

So who wasn't at the cinema?

Betty's dad
Vixens
Pussycats
The Mayor
Reggie
Doiley

Anyone I missed? Pretty slim pickings honestly, I think Doiley is the only legit pick.

I'm still thinking Betty's Dad, because trope.

anaron

This show will probably explode in popularity with a season 2. People will catch up on Netflix, Sabrina appearance, Afterlife with Archie Halloween episodes

ZeroX03

Banned
This show will probably explode in popularity with a season 2. People will catch up on Netflix, Sabrina appearance, Afterlife with Archie Halloween episodes

WB got that Archie Comics development deal. I guess Netflix must be pretty happy. Growing an audience with streaming is possible. Very tough due to the current overload of content, but possible. I'm not too worried, but I also don't think it's CW ten seasons safe.

VeeP

WB got that Archie Comics development deal. I guess Netflix must be pretty happy. Growing an audience with streaming is possible. Very tough due to the current overload of content, but possible. I'm not too worried, but I also don't think it's CW ten seasons safe.

As long as we get a few quality seasons, and the show runners have a heads up when the last season will be were good.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I think so too. It's gonna hit Netflix around the time everybody gets out of school for the summer.

By what episode of season will Betty end up in jail for misdemeanors

also Red will try and get with Veronica at some point in my headcannon or the writers are just shoving her in scenes just because they are paying her

Grazzt

Moose, be honest to yourself and be with Kevin!!!
Glad Ms.Grundy is gone, finally. But I feel sorry for Archie. And poor Jug. His dad is hot tho...

Pluto

I don't get the Ms Grundy thing.
So was she playing Archie or not?
I think she was, when she left town she had the same sun glasses and drink look she had when she picked up Archie during the summer, the implication was that she's looking for a new boytoy.
I'm not even sure I believe her story about her husband, she could be running from the law if she had affairs with students before.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I think she was, when she left town she had the same sun glasses and drink look she had when she picked up Archie during the summer, the implication was that she's looking for a new boytoy.
I'm not even sure I believe her story about her husband, she could be running from the law if she had affairs with students before.
That's my take too. And during the scene she's thirsting after the two guys this is Betty's narration:

"maybe some of what I did was wrong, but maybe... Maybe I was right about some things, too. Maybe Ms. Grundy was dangerous in some way."

Top Bottom