• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

iosefe

Is there a manual for this game anywhere? On-disc? Online? I just want to know how if there are buttons I could be pressing to switch the party leader efficiently, and if there is a "you-idiots-wait-here-while-I-sneak-solo-past-all-these-mines" button?

up/down on d-pad for leader switch. as far as going solo, just go to the party menu and put everyone else away

Jolkien

Is there a manual for this game anywhere? On-disc? Online? I just want to know how if there are buttons I could be pressing to switch the party leader efficiently, and if there is a "you-idiots-wait-here-while-I-sneak-solo-past-all-these-mines" button?

You can change party leader with D-Pad up or down. And no there's no way to leave them far back, you can just disable them all (go in the menu and put all but one character in the reserve)

SkylineRKR

So since I sold a High Arcana, but didn't create a recipe out of it yet because I'm still not at the area that drops the other Elixir ingredients, there is nothing wasted for making Tournesol ingredients? I figure I just have to remember not selling the elixir stuff (demon drink etc).

AndersK

Wow. Sure is weird coming home and going from remote play to 1440p upscaled to 4K.

...the UI is like, so big. Cool i dont have to squint, but give me a toggle, SE.

Looks amazing though.

Demoskinos

Need advice.
In this temple with the Demon Wall. Should I even attempt to fight this thing or just run like hell? My party is all around lvl 17/18 right now.

iosefe

Need advice.
In this temple with the Demon Wall. Should I even attempt to fight this thing or just run like hell? My party is all around lvl 17/18 right now.

do your best to weaken it, then you can hopefully pull off a good quickening chain to finish it off
before its too late

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Need advice.

run to the next area

Can FFX be "broken" in the same sense that FFXII can with finding the op weapons early and whatnot? I feel like FFXII may be unique in the mainline series that no other numbered title can be broken so early and easily.

mieumieu

run to the next area

Can FFX be "broken" in the same sense that FFXII can with finding the op weapons early and whatnot? I feel like FFXII may be unique in the mainline series that no other numbered title can be broken so early and easily.

FFVIII also can be broken easily.

Ok enough is enough.

What is a good steal gamit when it isn't the leader?

I have Vaan in one of my two parties I alternate, and he is there to steal. The issue lies that the way the coding works, if you simply tell him to steal first and foremost, he will keep fucking attempting to steal.

if you tell him to steal only enemies at 100% health, he will go to one of the other enemies if there are multiple.

Why can't there be a "do this action once and them continue down chain" gambit :mad:

Valus

Ok enough is enough.

I have Vaan in one of my two parties I alternate, and he is there to steal. The issue lies that the way the coding works, if you simply tell him to steal first and foremost, he will keep fucking attempting to steal.

if you tell him to steal only enemies at 100% health, he will go to one of the other enemies if there are multiple.

Why can't there be a "do this action once and them continue down chain" gambit :mad:

Add a gambit that makes him attack if there's 3 or more enemies.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Ok enough is enough.

Enemy: HP < 90%: attack
Enemy: HP = 100%: steal
Enemy: any attack

Ok enough is enough.

Yeah, I know that pain! Thanks to a user on Gamefaqs for this, it's changed my (stealing) life:

FOE=HP<90% - ATTACK
FOE=HP=100% - STEAL
FOE=LOWEST HP - ATTACK

I actually ended up replacing my old party leader/etc attack gambits for FOE=HP<90% - ATTACK then FOE=LOWEST HP - ATTACK on every party member, it's like a well-oiled machine. ETA: Had, beaten! Stolen!

Yeah, I know that pain! Thanks to a user on Gamefaqs for this, it's changed my (stealing) life:

FOE=HP<90% - ATTACK
FOE=HP=100% - STEAL
FOE=LOWEST HP - ATTACK

I actually ended up replacing my old party leader/etc attack gambits for FOE=HP<90% - ATTACK then FOE=LOWEST HP - ATTACK on every party member, it's like a well-oiled machine. ETA: Had, beaten! Stolen!

thanks guys. This was driving me crazy. I don't think I bought the <90% when I saw it at a store, will do so when I get back to a town.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Quick question, but aren't stats like HP connected to classes, or is it calculated before hand? Cause my mage Basch 12 levels under my knight/bushi Ashe has more HP than she does. Which kind of sucks lol.

Demoskinos

Enemy: HP < 90%: attack
Enemy: HP = 100%: steal
Enemy: any attack

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how the "Enemy:HP <90%:attack" changes anything in that setup? Cause wouldn't he still just prioritize going from enemy to enemy that is still 100% stealing.

Wouldn't just setting "Enemy:HP=100%:steal" as number 1 then setting your attack Gambit after still garner the same results?

Edit: Nevermind I get it now. Took me a hot minute. Lack of sleep is killing me today. lol.

Quick question, but aren't stats like HP connected to classes, or is it calculated before hand? Cause my mage Basch 12 levels under my knight/bushi Ashe has more HP than she does. Which kind of sucks lol.

The characters each have their own unique HP/stat growth, but the individual job boards have licenses that add to those stats.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how the "Enemy:HP <90%:attack" changes anything in that setup? Cause wouldn't he still just prioritize going from enemy to enemy that is still 100% stealing.

Wouldn't just setting "Enemy:HP=100%:steal" as number 1 then setting your attack Gambit after still garner the same results?

I think the difference is that in 100% steal first set-up he goes from enemy to enemy stealing, and if the rest of your party is focused on the enemy that the party leader is aiming at then the thief will literally just stay attempting to steal one of the guys the rest of the party isn't focused on.

While with the <90% attack set-up they'll attack first, and then go steal. I guess the hope would be that by the time he goes to steal from another enemy in the area, your party hasn't brought down the enemy to less than 90% health.

This can probably be experimented by putting it at <80% or lower if your party is just stomping through the first 10% of health before you get chance to steal.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well, I'm 6 for 6 on the Cure RNG manipulation Seitengrat method.
That shit CERTAINLY works. looooooool

The thief will prioritize helping the party take out damaged mobs before shfting over to steal. If you'd like to focus on stealing, kill that first line. If you'd like combat to end more efficiently, keep that line in.

Demoskinos

I think the difference is that in 100% steal first set-up he goes from enemy to enemy stealing, and if the rest of your party is focused on the enemy that the party leader is aiming at then the thief will literally just stay attempting to steal one of the guys the rest of the party isn't focused on.

While with the <90% attack set-up they'll attack first, and then go steal. I guess the hope would be that by the time he goes to steal from another enemy in the area, your party hasn't brought down the enemy to less than 90% health.

This can probably be experimented by putting it at <80% or lower if your party is just stomping through the first 10% of health before you get chance to steal.

Yeah. I figured it out. I got like 2hrs of sleep last night so I'm not exactly on the ball today with my wits. Lol. Makes sense though now that I see it. I'm guessing you could prob also just substitute something else in there like enemy with lowest HP and that would work just as well. I'll have to use that as well.

Yeah. I figured it out. I got like 2hrs of sleep last night so I'm not exactly on the ball today with my wits. Lol. Makes sense though now that I see it. I'm guessing you could prob also just substitute something else in there like enemy with lowest HP and that would work just as well. I'll have to use that as well.

Maybe, but I've never tested that one as it seems like the character would go to the weakest enemy regardless if they're at 100% health or not, so Steal would never happen.

I've been itching to know this as well.

for what it's worth I'm only using the guide to give me an idea of how to best tackle the maps and to give heads up of what to do before you leave a town/area on your chronological travels. treasures aren't too easily missable if you're exploring the areas thoroughly, and the only things in them tend to be items and rarely you get armor or a weapon that is appropriate and you can use but it isn't amazing just one of the standard ones.

Rad-

Lowest HP can still count 100% health so it doesn't work.

Bluenoser

So if I play this blind without a guide, how many awesome weapons, techs and spells am I going to miss out on?

Some items show up in treasure pots that don't spawn 100% of the time. Example, Brave suit is in a chest in Henne Mines that only has a 25% chance to spawn when you enter the area, so if you don't know the chest is supposed to be there, you won't know that you missed it. There are a lot of items that work like this, including some techs. Good news is that all of the spells that are in chests are 100% chance to spawn, so if you explore thoroughly you shouldn't miss any.

But none of these are permanently missable either, so you can always consult a guide later to find what you've missed.

mstevens

Some items show up in treasure pots that don't spawn 100% of the time. Example, Brave suit is in a chest in Henne Mines that only has a 25% chance to spawn when you enter the area, so if you don't know the chest is supposed to be there, you won't know that you missed it. There are a lot of items that work like this, including some techs. Good news is that all of the spells that are in chests are 100% chance to spawn, so if you explore thoroughly you shouldn't miss any.

But none of these are permanently missable either, so you can always consult a guide later to find what you've missed.

Ah this is what I was mostly worried about. So nothing is permanently missable, from say an area you only go to once?

What about stealable items like the genji glove?

Bluenoser

Ah this is what I was mostly worried about. So nothing is permanently missable, from say an area you only go to once?

What about stealable items like the genji glove?

Genji glove is one of those items that you only have limited opportunities to acquire. If you fail to steal from Gilgamesh (which hopefully wouldn't happen, given his history in the series) you can still get one from the Phon Coast hunt club. But you're right the other genji gear is permanently missed. For items in chests though, nothing is permanently missable because no such items can only be acquired from 1-time only areas like the Leviathan and Draklor.

mstevens

Genji glove is one of those items that you only have limited opportunities to acquire. If you fail to steal from Gilgamesh (which hopefully wouldn't happen, given his history in the series) you can still get one from the Phon Coast hunt club. But you're right the other genji gear is permanently missed. For items in chests though, nothing is permanently missable because no such items can only be acquired from 1-time only areas like the Leviathan and Draklor.

Okay so genji set.. anything else only available from one time steal opportunities?

Nevermind, I think this resource has everything listed out pretty well

http://www.rpgsite.net/feature/5791-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age-missable-items-and-trophies

Bluenoser

Okay so genji set.. anything else only available from one time steal opportunities?

Not that I can think of. Sometimes stealing from certain monsters may be the easiest way to get an item but not the only way (except genji armor).

I posted a video earlier of me stealing a very powerful rare sword from one of the end game espers. I had a 6% chance to get the steal, and it probably took me about 10 tries so I was pretty lucky. But if I hadn't done that, my only other opportunity to get that item would have been farming a specific chest in an end game area, with less than 1% chance. So while technically still available, not realistic.

RPGCrazied

Finally got Trickster and Antlion. Trickster was really annoying. Mostly his movement speed, but got him halfway before he started to use white wind or whatever and quickening him to death.

Antlion was a little easier just Aeroga him to death, lol.

SkylineRKR

I am aware of that and is postponing my revisit back to that place since I am terrible at navigating through that map.

I just got the Yagyu Darkblade anyway :p

Got it as well. Its only from that specific chest, when I started to focus on just that it took me about an hour. Its a waste of time but I wanted to get the weapon this way, story wise i'm not even past the Steppe lol. Also got a Circlet and 2 Euclid Sextants as well so it wasn't all bad (well, the euclids are fucking useless). And I stole 6 damascus from that rare game.

OrionX

Listen to the Wood's voice for me. I fear- I fear she hates.

The Wood longs for you. For the child gone from under her boughs.

...A pleasant lie, that.

Poor Fran. ;_;

Need advice.

The wall is weak to holy damage. If you have ashes lvl3 quickening, it'll do a shit ton of damage. Set gambits for blindness, sleep, etc. soon as it starts hit quickenings and try to do as many as possible to get to the next stage of final magic after quickenings ...after 3 successful quickenings it's fire damage and after 6(?) it's holy. Might kill in one whop

Tubie

This is now probably my most replayed FF after FF7.

Game is still amazing even by today's standards.

The Zodiac system makes it feel so fresh even after I've played the original NA PS2 version a few times over.

I can't believe how long it took me to pick out jobs and sub jobs lol, at one point I just said fuck it and just picked what I wanted.

Alucrid

Banned
This is now probably my most replayed FF after FF7.

Game is still amazing even by today's standards.

The Zodiac system makes it feel so fresh even after I've played the original NA PS2 version a few times over.

I can't believe how long it took me to pick out jobs and sub jobs lol, at one point I just said fuck it and just picked what I wanted.

probably tied with XIV as my second favorite final fantasy after playing this remaster

Ok. Someone help me make sense of this. Just finished Raithwall's tomb:

"We need the Dawn Shard to prove Ashe's lineage so she can rule Dalmasca."

"Oh no! Vossler turned on us by trading away the Dawn Shard...! So that Ashe can rule Dalmasca."

Then group gets upset at him. Why they grumps?

Alucrid

Banned
Ok. Someone help me make sense of this. Just finished Raithwall's tomb:

"We need the Dawn Shard to prove Ashe's lineage so she can rule Dalmasca."

"Oh no! Vossler turned on us by trading away the Dawn Shard...! So that Ashe can rule Dalmasca."

Then group gets upset at him. Why they grumps?

they don't want a puppet government?

It's strange, if you're going to have a 4 player party as often as you are, why not design the whole game around 4 player combat instead of forcing you to do 3 player parties plus occassional guest?

I'd rather do a standard 4 player party and rotate party members this way.

Are all the side stuff, hunts, etc. doable with just 3 party members? I'd prefer to finish the game first and come back to it after. If not, I'll just leave a save.

Top Bottom