• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift (+ Oculus Touch) is $399 for limited time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Update (10th Aug): Due to high demand, Oculus is extending the sales period by few more weeks. The sales period was originally planned for 6 weeks (which will have end on Aug 21st)
https://www.roadtovr.com/huge-oculus-rift-touch-sale-brings-price-400/

-

https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/07/oculus-announce-rift-touch-price-drop-to-399-for-summer-sale/

I am tempted to buy one

But as of this morning Oculus has rectified that by announcing that you will, for a limited period, be able to get the bundle of the Oculus Rift and Oculus Touch controllers for $399 (USD), reduced from $598 (USD) – itself a total that was reduced by $200 from it’s release price back in March.

Oculus is advertising that you will also get the following softwares for free:
  • Lucky's Tale
  • Medium
  • Toybox
  • Oculus Quill
  • Dead and Buried
  • Dragon Front
  • Robo Recall

There are several more free softwares not advertised (thanks to roadtovr):
  • First Contact
  • The Unspoken
  • Toybox
  • Farlands
  • Henry
  • Lost
  • Dear Angelica
  • Facebook Spaces
  • Oculus Video
  • Oculus 360 Photos
  • Ripcoil (free with any Store purchase)
  • Echo Arena (Coming soon, free for all Touch owners)

Want even more free contents? Check out the full list here
Im sure its been posted already but this is an epic Reddit post for new Rift owners.

"Freebies for Noobies"

-

If you purchase from Best Buy, you also get EVE: Valkyrie for free too

-

Promo video for the new temporary price and the games
https://youtu.be/lykyW3NJ-2E

-

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-touch-399-sale/
The $399 price will last for 6 weeks (Oculus has just announced that they are extending the sales beyond 6 weeks!)

-

And since so many people ask
  1. this Oculus Rift + Touch comes with 2 sensors. You can also purchase a 3rd sensor ($59) for even better room-scale tracking.
  2. VR titles on Steam that doesn't denote Oculus Rift support, can be used on the Rift as well. Its just that the software may not have been officially tested on the Rift hardware, so the devs can't gaurantee its performance on the Rift
  3. Regarding exclusivity, first you will need to understand there are 3 main storefronts: Oculus' Oculus Home, HTC's Viveport and Valve's Steam.
    - Oculus Home has "exclusive" Oculus Rift games, but Vive owners can get around very easily with ReVive hack.
    - Steam has no exclusivity issue. Some games may show HTC Vive only on their page, but in general Oculus Rift can still run them, just that the dev havent update the game to run on Rift at optimal performance.
    - Viveport works only for HTC Vive now, but HTC is working on bringing it to Rift and Google Daydream. Then again there's no worthwhile exclusives on it and Vive also releases the games they fund, on Steam too.

In short, you are not missing out on anything.

-

Minimum specs requirement and recommended specs
949t76c.jpg

-

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-permanently-slashes-rift-touch-bundle-price/
Oculus Rift will cost $500 (w/o remote & xbox controller) permanently when this summer hardware sales end

Harlequin

Wow, that's a pretty big discount. But I've decided to wait for the second generation of headsets to jump into the VR pool and I'll stick to that. No matter how tempting this price is :p.

artsi

Very tempting, awesome price.

Makes me wonder, is this a fire sale to clear inventory in case the Zenimax lawsuit would halt the sale of Rift?

pa22word

Wow, that's a pretty big discount. But I've decided to wait for the second generation of headsets to jump into the VR pool and I'll stick to that. No matter how tempting this price is :p.
Same. Just seems like burning money when the software support is in its infancy at the moment. Granted, there are a lot worse ways to burn money ;]

takoyaki

HTC Vive is better though, right?

depends on what you plan to do with the headset. Vive is better for room-scale VR, Oculus currently has the best controllers, the most comfortable headset (imo) and the best exclusive games line-up. Great price for the bundle.

HTC Vive is better though, right?

I don't see how. Touch controllers are superior to the Vive's wand. The headset itself is generally regarded as being slightly better. And, the Oculus works on both Steam VR and Oculus store whereas the Vive only has Steam.

The only advantage the Vive has over the Rift is that the lighthouse tracking is superior. However, springing for a third sensor ($60) will get you room scale just like the Vive.

Jimrpg

Come on HTC Vive! Still AU$1400...

and its still not available in the country i live in right now (Malaysia). Come the fuck on.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
Anyone sitting on the sidelines waiting for the big price drop. This is it. Also perfect timing considering one of the best if not best multiplayer vr game is about to get released on 7/20 for free.

Glomby

The Rift is lighter and more comfortable and the controllers are IMO significantly better.

It is slightly lighter, with the deluxe audio strap the Vive is as comfortable as the rift, the controllers aren't better but different, in some games the wands feel better in others the touchs and the vive's tracking solution is way more robust for both room scale and seated VR.

When the new knuckles controllers come out for the Vive, it's gonna be a no brainer though, unless Oculus keeps the prize down like that.

Reallink

Title for those of us who are not up to date with VR releases?

Echo Arena, it's Frisbee Rocket League in Zero-G. Game is astonishingly fun, every bit as good--if not better than--Rocket League proper. Lone Echo is the single player component that uses the same movement mechanics in a (presumably) shooter campaign. Echo Arena's Free, Lone Echo is $39.

wondermega

Pretty crazy price. Vive tracking still better, without trying both you can't appreciate.. room scale is no joke. For those who have tried both, I'm curious.. How is Superhot on Rift vs Vive? I've tried the latter, and it's just magic..

neonglow

Have their been any hints on when 2nd generation headsets will start showing up? If there's any planned for later this year, I may just wait until then.

Alx

I'm tempted to buy one, but I'd also need to upgrade my GPU to meet the required specs (CPU is fine apparently). What's an appropriate graphics card to have a decent experience with it, and how much would it cost now ?

toa95

Oh wow, I'm going for this instead. Nice.

I have a bunch of gamestop credit laying around I was just going to turn into Amazon cash, but is there any way to convert it to a BB gift card instead? Or do I just have to use Amazon cash to buy a BB gift card?

Also wondering this too, I still have about $200 from the trade in deal going on a week back and if I can basically get a Rift for $200 that's a good price for me.

Theonik

I'm tempted to buy one, but I'd also need to upgrade my GPU to meet the required specs (CPU is fine apparently). What's an appropriate graphics card to have a decent experience with it, and how much would it cost now ?
970 was last year. A 1060 should do nicely now or get a 1070 if you can afford it. You won't regret it.

vanfanel1car

Neo Member
Have their been any hints on when 2nd generation headsets will start showing up? If there's any planned for later this year, I may just wait until then.

Soonest possibility is probably late 2018 but nothing this year. There may be some releases from other vendors like LG but nothing 2nd gen.

ISee

I own OR and played around with PSVR on several occasions. ORs IQ/Display is superior to PSVR, it's not even a competition. It's still not perfect though and the 'grid' is still visible. On the downside OR is incredibly uncomfortable for people with glasses, so keep that in mind before buying.

Reallink

LG has their version of the Vive coming out supposedly late this year, but they haven't affirmed that in a while. It may well be delayed to launch with Valve's Gen-2 controllers (Knuckles, devs already have them) or some other key feature that will make it stand out (e.g. wireless, much higher res displays, eye tracking, etc...). Oculus and HTC will pretty definitely have nothing for this year, but I could see something next year Q2, 3, or 4.

Chumley

Banned
Also wondering this too, I still have about $200 from the trade in deal going on a week back and if I can basically get a Rift for $200 that's a good price for me.

I couldn't seem to find a way to do it, I'll probably just hold onto the Amazon Cash which i'll inevitably end up using between now and the next few months.

Yeah i'm going in, buying it from the oculus store grants 7 games.

Best buy deal has that + Eve Valkrie

Stiler

I'm curious, I have just one open usb port (and even then I think it's a 2.0 port).

I have two usb 3.0 ports of which one I have a powered usb hub for.

Does the rift work fine if you use a usb hub for it?

toa95

I couldn't seem to find a way to do it, I'll probably just hold onto the Amazon Cash which i'll inevitably end up using between now and the next few months.

Best buy deal has that + Eve Valkrie

It looks like Amazon did update their price so if we can change gamestop credit into amazon credit that could work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom