• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Izayoi

Banned
How do I get my game looking like some of these screenshots? The cockpit looks great but everything else looks terrible, even at Ultra w/ 8xMSAA and no matter the client (DX11 or DX9).

Do we know what the "High" setting does for AA? Is there a way to do fullscreen windowed?

Darkdeus

I always feel so claustrophobic in that touring car with the tiny windows. I like bubble canopy/open cars so I can see the scenery and track better. But then again I always feel like I'm sitting so low I can't see the track very well ahead of me, so maybe I am silly. :p

You know you can adjust the seat using w, a,s,d : ) Helps a lot in the asano!

Izayoi, which hdr mode are you using? I turn hdr off and use a combination of injected FXAA and "High" AA setting in the graphics menu.

Blizzard

Banned
Well I finally got the 174 build downloaded and tried it.

The performance SEEMS better to me, though I'm just running like 1280x800 windowed. With an e8400 and 5850 I usually get 30-40 fps with everything max besides 8xMSAA. I don't use MLAA, FXAA, or HDR at the moment. It sounds like HDR does not improve the look, though there seem to be several HDR modes and I have not experimented with them.

There are still some graphical flickering issues, like billboards or props on some tracks, and the sun looks like an octagon, but things look pretty nice otherwise. The courses seemed reasonably fun to drive, and I just spent a fair bit of time going through different cars and tracks. I'm still not worried about it being too easy, since with the plain new install, I was spinning out in various cars and hitting barriers pretty often. :p

I just saved a bunch of screenshots, unedited and unresized from the ingame graphics, so please excuse any blur or crappy quality. I guess posting the whole batch here would be bad form, so I'll try to cherrypick a few of them:

pcars2012-03-1717-00-uozut.jpg

pcars2012-03-1716-45-fpbpx.jpg

pcars2012-03-1716-39-nfbgb.jpg

pcars2012-03-1716-33-jsyx5.jpg

pcars2012-03-1717-00-k3bsq.jpg

I have motion blur set to medium. The FA car is MUCH faster than pretty much every other car though - the sense of speed is reduced in every other car.

Formula A lap @ Monza with "overcast" weather setting.

Look at all the bumps! You can feel everything. So awesome.

Edit:

So I've just tried out the Palmer Jaguar JP-LM at Florence GP

I'm not sure if I like the car very much. It doesn't really have a great sense of speed and MAN does the back end kick out at you if you're not careful. Over the course of the time I spent with it I learned you had to be really careful with the throttle otherwise you were just going to lose it. I kept trying to put the power down too soon and spinning.

The track I absolutely adore though. So much fun to drive around the elevation changes feel great. I'm definitely going to zoom around it soon with the Formula A car to see how it feels in that. One of my favourite tracks in the game already, easily!

markao

my sense of speed doesnt seem close to that, i have motion blur on full or am i missing something?

Sense of Speed, besides tracks with lots of objects closer to the road, comes down to the Field of View you use. The higher the FOV the higher the sense of speed, but a lower FOV will look more realistic, unless you sit miles away from your screen ;)

This build is fucking fantastic. It's really starting to feel like a proper game - the driving model is greatly improved and there's enough content to really justify jumping in now. I still don't think the game will come in to its own until multiplayer is added, but I can't stop playing this build. If you were on the fence now is the time to sign up.

Does anyone like the Jin Ding circuit? It's not clicking with me. I feel like whenever I get enough speed going I just hit another slow hairpin and have to crawl around it. I'm sure my line isn't perfect yet, but yeah, it's the only new track I'm not really liking. I've tried it in five different cars and it was never fun.

Megasoum

Banned
I've been a team member since the beginning but I haven't played in a while. I finally got this week's build because of all the new tracks they added since the last time I played but I can't get it to work properly. Well my steering actually...

I use the Fanatec PWTS and I have a couple of problems.

1-The wheel is never really 100% centered (I always have to turn the wheel 4-5 degrees to the right to get the in-game wheel centered). I'm starting to suspect that this might be a hardware problem since I remember having a similar issue in Forza. Don't know how I could fix that

2-There is no FFB or if it's there it's wrong. I barely get vibration when I roll over kerbs but nothing else. And the steering has a tendency to pull me on either side. It's like if the center of the axis was sitting at the top of a pyramid. When I center the wheel I have a feeling that it doesn't want to stay there and just wants to go one way or the other.

I tried multiple settings on my own and some from the CARS forums but I just can't get something working properly.

bee

so i'm trying this new build and it seems much improved honestly, its still got a slight feeling of disconnection between your input and the cars but its definitely better. are there any known settings for g25 wheels to change? any settings to change for load cells?

running all settings as default in game, except i had to remap the pedals as i use a bodnar cable. i use these settings in logitech profiler

YXFB5.jpg

In lieu of no real multiplayer, do you guys want to pick a track and a car and see who can knock out the best time trial time?

I'm getting a bit bored just doing laps.

Sounds good to me. If enough people take part maybe we can have the winner pick the next car/track etc. Would be a fun way of getting this thread a bit more active.

Let's see how many people want in:

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence (Build 174)
Foliorum Viridum
Three60

_machine

Sounds good to me. If enough people take part maybe we can have the winner pick the next car/track etc. Would be a fun way of getting this thread a bit more active.

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence
Foliorum Viridum
Three60
I might not make it this week as I have my last abitur exams and that means I'll probably be wasted the whole weekend, but if you need a crappy driver for the last place, I might be able to participate on Week #2.

The latest builds looks superb and the FFB is best I've had on my crappy Momo. The F68 is a joy to drive and it's fun to just thrash around too, but I'm still looking forward to the upgraded tyre model.

Kyaw

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence
Foliorum Viridum
Three60

I am in. Let's do this.

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence GP
Foliorum Viridum
Three60
Kyaw

Just to clarify, let's do the GP and not short! :D I'm going to go have a few laps now...

1:52.853 is my best so far.

I think I can beat that by maybe a second if I have a really clean lap. It's so easy to lose the back end though!

I'll post a video of my best time sometime in the week. Hopefully it will be an improvement on that.

Three60

1:49.239 so far.

Could definitly go faster. Need more practice, this is my first time running "Florence" on any sim, loving the track so far.

Sethos

Banned
I did a 0:23 - I'm awesome like that.

Just a suggestion, maybe some screenshots or something when people post their times? Sure it can be tampered with but requires a bit more effort than writing random times.

I thought it went without saying that for the final times people need to post proof. Preferably in video form, but yeah, screenshots will do! I trust people not to tamper with them.

1:49.239 so far.

Could definitly go faster. Need more practice, this is my first time running "Florence" on any sim, loving the track so far.

Yikes! I just got a 1:50.5 and felt like it was pushing what I could do. Not sure I can get a sub 1:50.

Polyphony

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence (Build 174)
Foliorum Viridum
Three60

Sounds fun but I'm stuck on b164, don't have the track yet.

Yeah, it sucks that some people aren't on the same build :( Trouble is we need to be on the same build because so much changes between them, and the easiest way to do that is to stick with the weekly one.

Blizzard

Banned
Upgrade function doesn't seem to be working. They're still charging me the full 35€.

Also, wth happened on the 16th? oO
Are you sure you're not upgrading to full? That costs more than the old team member. If not, try posting on the support forum and they should get it straightened out.

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence GP
Foliorum Viridum
Three60
Kyaw

Just to clarify, let's do the GP and not short! :D I'm going to go have a few laps now...
Touring cars, eww. :p All right, Asano x4 @ Florence GP, automatic gears, no other assists, I'm gonna try to get a lap time without going off the road or hitting a barrier!

We're allowed to use outside OR inside camera views, hopefully?

Are you sure you're not upgrading to full? That costs more than the old team member. If not, try posting on the support forum and they should get it straightened out.

Yeah I was reading it wrong, they radio boxes aren't properly aligned so that's what made me confused.

I'll be posting my time in a bit.

Touring cars, eww. :p All right, Asano x4 @ Florence GP, automatic gears, no other assists, I'm gonna try to get a lap time without going off the road or hitting a barrier!

We're allowed to use outside OR inside camera views, hopefully?

Hey, the car wasn't my choice! :p

Yeah any assists, any camera view. It's just for fun, so people can play however they want :)

Edit: I see I got Murphy to upgrade already. SMS should give me some royalties if I get a few more GAFers to do the same ^_^

Blizzard

Banned
I must be crazy, but what settings do I use to get it to record my best lap times and/or show my most recent times on an overlay? I thought it used to do this, but I've tried both free race (starts at lap 1, goes to lap 2 etc. without showing lap times) and time trial (says lap 32/40, does not increase or show lap times) without success.

I must be crazy, but what settings do I use to get it to record my best lap times and/or show my most recent times on an overlay? I thought it used to do this, but I've tried both free race (starts at lap 1, goes to lap 2 etc. without showing lap times) and time trial (says lap 32/40, does not increase or show lap times) without success.

There's a key, don't remember which one now, that switches between several types of HUDs, one of them tracks the best time.

Three60

Press TAB key ;)

bee

just did 10 laps with that track/car combo and got a 1.48.958. remembered to rename the executable for sli support aswell, get like 120fps@120hz :D some crazy vram usage on some tracks though, 2004mb :O

Kyaw

Any tips on driving that car properly? It seems too stiff. Either that or I have my steering wheel settings wrong.

Blizzard

Banned
Any tips on driving that car properly? It seems too stiff. Either that or I have my steering wheel settings wrong.
Haha...I'm a complete racing noob, and the main guideline I am using for myself so far is to take sharp curves at less than 120 km/h. Otherwise, I'm almost certain to get into a slide and have practically no chance of recovering it. Any tips are certainly welcome.

Blizzard

Banned
Cool, thanks. That seems to be what I was already doing naturally, since I think I felt it made sense to start on the outside and hit the apex like that. When I have a problem, it is almost always because I start the turn too quickly and go off the far side of the track during the turn. It's tough for me to know how fast to go into them, so that's what I'm trying to learn.

Blizzard

Banned
Well I practiced for an hour or so, but it doesn't seem like I will be able to beat my personal record of 2:27.720 any time soon, so there it is for now. I know that's a pro time that most of you may not be able to match, but what can I say, I'm awesome. :p

Here's my lap.

It's a bit messy in parts, but I don't think I have much more in me. Half a second, perhaps. I won't have time to improve it this week so it will have to do!

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence GP (Build 174)
Foliorum Viridum - 1:50.143
Three60
Kyaw
Blizzard
Metalmurphy - 1:51.387
bee
paskowitz

Let's say the deadline is midday GMT on Friday 23rd, then for the new build we can do another one :)

Top Bottom