• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas Wildfires. My Home. Gone. My Parent's Home. Gone. My Uncle's Home. Gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
TheHeretic said:
Whats the correct protocol in this situation? Are you advised to hose down your home and simply try to outlast the fire, or to run as the OP did? Sounds like a terrifying choice to make.

Depending on the fire, there is nothing you can do but get out of dodge, and since most of the time you don't know about the strength of the fire or conditions, in almost all cases you get the hell out of dodge.

With Texas being as dry as it is, and it as windy as it was, Pristine_Condition without a doubt made the right choice.

Now, say a home is on fire next to yours, from house specific reasons, it might not be a bad idea to spray your house with water to prevent it from catching on fire from any embers from the other house depending on the direction of the wind. But, when dealing with brush and forest fires... run, don't stay.

TheHeretic said:
So then why the claim that the OP did "everything wrong"?

No idea, living in Southwest Florida we do see brush-fires, and i've never heard that advice from anyone.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
alphaNoid said:
I don't want to derail so I'll bullet point..

20. Wake up the next day, fuck it. Start over and never looked back. State didn't require renters insurance so I didn't have it. I did not file for emergency funds from the state as I felt it was not my neighbors and coworkers responsibility to pay for my lack of foresight. I ate the entire cost of all my loss and moved on, saving say only my dignity which was fine by me.

Thats a high level of my fire experience, there are tons of details I could trudge through but nobody wants to hear about them.
The fuck? What kind of an attitude is that? Yes, it is their responsibility. That's the whole fucking point of emergency relief and living in a society where we all band together and help one another.

Iksenpets

Banned
Holy crap. My deepest sympathy to you and your family. I'm up in Dallas, and I haven't seen anything get that bad yet here, but man does it have me worried, especially for family and friends who live out a ways in the countryside outside of town.

Suikoguy said:
Depending on the fire, there is nothing you can do but get out of dodge, and since most of the time you don't know about the strength of the fire or conditions, in almost all cases you get the hell out of dodge.

With Texas being as dry as it is, and it as windy as it was, Pristine_Condition without a doubt made the right choice.

Now, say a home is on fire next to yours, from house specific reasons, it might not be a bad idea to spray your house with water to prevent it from catching on fire from any embers from the other house depending on the direction of the wind. But, when dealing with brush and forest fires... run, don't stay.

So then why the claim that the OP did "everything wrong"?

Pookmunki

Awful story, hope you can rebuild as smoothly as possible, as soon as possible.

Echoing others - be thankful there was no loss of life.

Best of luck

I won't even pretend to understand how devastating something like this could be, Pristine_Condition. The concept is impossible for me to imagine or accept.

I'm glad you and your folks are okay. And your ducks. What a nightmare.

seanoff

TheHeretic said:
Whats the correct protocol in this situation? Are you advised to hose down your home and simply try to outlast the fire, or to run as the OP did? Sounds like a terrifying choice to make.

Run away. If he stayed it is likely he would not be posting now. He would be pristine and crispy.

Left it late tho.

I'm. With gaimeguy, where thr hell were the warnings etc? So being late out wasn't so much his fault as just a total lack of info.

Quick

Banned
I'm really sorry about what happened to you, OP. You did the best you could, and you and your family are alive. Same thing to you, alphaNoid.

While I can't say that I know how you feel, I've had the risk of my house burning down twice in my life. Both were when I was a kid.

alphaNoid

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
The fuck? What kind of an attitude is that? Yes, it is their responsibility. That's the whole fucking point of emergency relief and living in a society where we all band together and help one another.
Not in my twisted mind, thats what insurance was for. Plus the state is (was) broke and I couldn't sleep at night (personally) knowing I was taking tax dollars for my own mistake. Its perhaps not what everyone would do, but it was my decision. My mom worked for the state for 36 years and voluntarily gave up pension benefits and salary benefits she was grandfathered into to help with the states economy. This affected her health benefits that assisted with her MS treatments. I couldn't take that money because I was too cheap to get insurance. At least, thats how I felt about it.

But in all honesty ... I have a hard time with receiving help or gifts.. I'm a stubborn son of a bitch. My company matched some donations employees gave, totaling about $4,000 and I felt so wrong taking it :( But because I knew people were voluntarily donating from the kindness of their hearts I had to accept, it was the right thing and only thing to do.

But anyways, you are right.. society should help each other in times of need. I'm just stubborn, and really felt better about not filing for relief funds from the tax payers. It really was a personal decision and not something I want to come off as an opinion.*shrug* If anything, other people probably needed that money more than I did. I was able to move back in with my parents rent free and save save save.

edit. Oh I forgot, 1 week to the day after my house burned down my car blew a piston and died on the 15FWY from LA to Las Vegas.. between the cities of Barstow and Baker. This is the middle of nowhere, it was 10pm at night and we (gf and I) were stuck on the side of the road for 3 hours. Car was toast, bought a new one the following week. Neat year ... 2008.
KuGsj.gif

Wads

Banned
Vincent Alexander said:
I don't like Rick Perry at all...but what could he honestly have done?

He could be back in Texas trying to do his job as Governor? Arranging service for the people affected by the fires... you know, his current job.

TheHeretic said:

Usually, they want you to evacuate. Too many things can go wrong if the winds shift and instead of saving your home, you could very easily be overrun by the flames and lose your life.

Glad your ducks are OK, pristine, and glad you, your parents and your uncle are as well. I think I can speak for most of OT GAF when I say if there's anything we can do to help you, please let us know.

Sorry to hear about your house :( but at least you have your Ducks, I'd be more upset if I lost my pets in a fire than my possessions.

duk

Banned
I am sorry for ur loss man, glad ur still alive. Those things can be rebuilt, best to you and your loved ones!!!

zoku88

Pristine_Condition said:
Wow, that really sucks. I hope you are able to get your life back on track after this.

I currently don't have any prized possessions, so I don't even know how you must feel right now :(

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Bushfires/wildfires really suck, especially when you live in a country which specifically evolves around the cycle of constant bushfires for rejuvunation of the ecology (i.e. Australia). I've always made it a habit to know where the most important things are in my house and to make sure that they are a top priority if the shit ever hits the fan. Although I live in a city, there is still a lot of greenery around here and a long-term drought plus strong winds can easily cause all sorts of damage. I still remember several years ago having to help some family friends put out a bushfire that was hitting their backyard, and thankfully that was just a small one. I'll also never forget witnessing a fire enroach one half of a bush, a kangaroo getting caught in it, while the opposite side of the road was completely safe. Crazy times.

I am sorry for your loss and hope that the next 6-12 months will be kind to you and your family.

ektoll

Damn, those stories are terrible, heartbreaking. :(

OP, you made the right choice by going to your parents, you saved them. And, if it's true that you can consider yourself lucky that you didn't have a fallen tree across the road, you were really brave by driving, opening the road.

AlphaNoid, you really had balls of steel to go back and help your brother and this family. It's in the heat of the situation (literally there) that we can see what we are worth.

Ducky_McGee said:
Fuuuuuuck. :( So sorry to hear about that.

Got a paypal account?

Perhaps us GAFers can do something good for one of our own (and his ducks).

No. I don't.

I certainly do appreciate the offer though. I just don't think it'd be appropriate. There are many people even worse off than me. If you feel moved to do something do it, donate to the Red Cross or something.

GaimeGuy said:
I don't understand. From the content of your post, it sounds like there was absolutely no emergency services in your area, from disseminating information to responding to crises. It just sounds so unfathomable to me living here in Minnesota. You almost died because of a lack of emergency services, and I would think a state like Texas would have top notch services in the country considering all the weather hazards they're prone to.

I am sorry for your loss, and that society has failed you. Have you thought of getting in touch with your local state representative/senator about this? It sounds like lives are definitely in danger due to inadequate emergency services.

I don't think society has failed me at all. I've seen nothing but outpourings of support, people volenteering, taking people into their homes, ect.

Hell, I went to dinner with my dad tonight, and the waitress overheard us talking about something, and asked if we were in the fire. We told her what happened, and when the bill arrived, it had been paid by diners at another table. The little acts of kindness and outpourings of REAL community are everywhere here. I've never been on this end of it before--we did a lot to help the folks who came to Texas from Hurricane Katrina--but it's these little things that bring the tears to the eye as much as thinking about the lost stuff.

From what I've managed to piece together, our neighborhood just got missed. I don't know if I can explain this clearly but I'll give it a shot.

Every other road leading off our stretch of highway has a highway exit directly adjacent to it. Ours is the only one that doesn't. You kind of have to loop around to get to it. Does that make any sense?

And there was smoke everywhere already, so I'm sure the road entrance was obscured.

Anyway, from everything I've heard, the Sheriff's Department was out in all these other neighborhoods, using those big bullhorns and evacuating people. That's how they did it where my uncle lives. Those people got the evacuation order. We just didn't. And before we left, my mom had called 911 and they told her they were certain we had already been evacuated.

The other thing was, this was on Labor Day weekend, so I'm sure staffing was an issue.

The only thing that got me really angry was the automated thing from the power company. There could have been a warning there. When it said "no power outages reported in your neighborhood," it was technically true, because they had already cut all the power themselves, at the request of the Fire Department. That automated message though was silly and misleading.

The only problems with the government I've had since then has been:

-The lack of communication for people like us who aren't in the shelters. They would make announcements and post stuff ant the shelters, but if you weren't there, it was hard to get that info. They've finally got some decent internet service up now for information, but it took a while. For a while Facebook comments were the best source of info for people not at the shelters.

-The lack of care from the Austin Fire Chief. She apparently didn't think fires outside the city limits were important enough to end her vacation over.

Austin American Statesman said:
Austin Fire Chief Rhoda Mae Kerr stayed in Colorado for a Labor Day weekend golfing trip, leaving subordinates largely in charge of her department's response while keeping in touch by cellphone and email.

Officials said Tuesday that her absence from the disaster did not hamper firefighting efforts, which were coordinated by county departments, and that she remained involved from afar in her department's response.

A top assistant also said that Kerr offered early on to return and that he emphasized to her that the fire was not in the city's immediate territory.

Kerr, who was set to return to work today, said in a telephone interview Tuesday that she did not come home earlier because flames were not in the city.

"All of the fires are not in the city limits of Austin," Kerr said. "If the fires were in the city limits of Austin, that would have been a whole different thing, and I would have made my way back as fast as I could have."

Tuesday afternoon, several fires broke out in two subdivisions near Duval Road in Northwest Austin, but those were put out by evening.

Kerr's decision to stay on vacation has renewed questions among some firefighters — nine of whom reportedly lost their homes in Bastrop County, the hardest-hit area in the unprecedented fires — and from union officials about her leadership.

This is a 100-year event, if that. This was THE moment for fire services.

Sure, she would have gotten off the links for a fire inside Austin, but outside some arbitrary line...fuck it.

-I've heard things about since FEMA got there they've been turning down volunteers unless they have all this paperwork in order. As soon as the Feds arrived, so did loads of red tape.

I'm sure we'll see them bring something to the table, but right now, I'm not impressed.

Vincent Alexander said:
Anything we can do to help? Clothes? Shoes? Coats? I know it's all small compared to those things that can't be replaced, but if you need anything, just holler. I'm sure a lot of us here on Gaf, myself included, can find things to spare.

That's really nice. I don't really know what my mailing address situation is. I think they hold the mail at the post office, but I'm not sure.

I'll check and get back to you if I can get mail and feel comfortable doing that. I've never considered taking charity before, so it's weird.

And WOW @ GAF. When I posted this I expected a small response maybe from people in the threads I regularly hit. I never expected this outpouring.

I'm starting to rethink my long-standing hatred of most of you fucking fanboys and retards. ;)

I'll try my best to respond to you guys, but I'm kinda exhausted a lot right now, and more than a little depressed. But please know, everyone who has expressed concern or sympathy or whatever, I really appreciate it.

It was kind of a emotional drain to even make this thread. I'm not a big fan of BlogGAF, but GAF has been a part of my life for some time now, so I had to let y'all know.

Enco

Oh man, that's awful.

Good luck with getting back on track.

Whenever I lose anything (never as much as that) I come back and improve it. This is a new start. Back everything up. Buy a fireproof safe. Just small things to help if anything like that ever happens again. Being prepared will make you feel better.

Jake.

we have similar fires all the time in australia, the amount of loss is always awful. i hope you can get back on your feet soon - look after the ducks.

hope your 'fire chief' gets fired.

Juicy Bob

If someone sets up a PayPal donation fund thingy, I'll happily donate something to yourself and your community. I'm really sorry this has happened to you and your family, but thank goodness you're OK.

Vicros

Pristine_Condition you said that somehow your road got missed when they were evacuating people. How many other people lived on your road and did they all make it out?

What if you had worked a night shift and were at home sleeping? You'd have no idea anything was going on until it was too late. I wish you a speedy recovery man. I can't even imagine.

TheNatural

My Member!
Good luck man, hopefully it works out for you with the insurance companies, hopefully you are on them like crazy already.

AniHawk

god damn. i can't fathom the magnitude of that sort of loss, but you made a couple incredibly ballsy decisions that saved your life and your parents'.

Jake. said:
we have similar fires all the time in australia, the amount of loss is always awful. i hope you can get back on your feet soon - look after the ducks.

hope your 'fire chief' gets fired.
Not to make light of your situation Pristine, and I hope you recover, but it's not really the Austin fire chief's job to take care of homes out in the boonies. Usually the city has a contract worked out with county fire departments to coordinate activities. Also, if you are far out enough you might not have a city water connection and are reliant on well water. City fire trucks might not have the necessary equipment if they need a hydrant to connect to, and you all are running on your own wells. Sounds like you live in a pretty remote spot that was missed by emergency services. Should be more mad at your county fire department. My own county has about 10 of them and has only 250,000 residents and with 200,000 of those in the city itself with its separate fire district. Hope things work out for you.

Vicros said:
Pristine_Condition you said that somehow your road got missed when they were evacuating people. How many other people lived on your road and did they all make it out?

As far as I know, there have been only two deaths in all the fires combined. Pretty amazing really, considering the big one was like six miles wide and the flames being pushed by 40 MPH winds.

Vicros said:
What if you had worked a night shift and were at home sleeping? You'd have no idea anything was going on until it was too late. I wish you a speedy recovery man. I can't even imagine.

No kidding. My parents live next to a guy that has his elderly mother living with him and his wife. They work in Austin. The elderly lady is deaf. Luckily they were out of town over the holiday weekend.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
I am really sorry to hear about this. I'm a bit out of the loop on national news so I hadn't heard about these fires, but I will do my best to make up for it by making a donation to the Red Cross to help out where I can.

I can't imagine what I would do in your situation and knowing how sudden it all was makes me question how prepared I am in the event of an emergency where I have to evacuate my home (earthquake zone here). I don't even have a safe to protect my most valuable documents and files.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Good god :( At least everyone's alive. This reminds me how important digital cloud backups may become instrumentally more important if an increase in natural disasters due to global warming becomes a trend.

Those ducks sure were lucky, though. I hope life gets back on track soon for you and your family!

ikkemenx

alphaNoid said:
Not in my twisted mind, thats what insurance was for. Plus the state is (was) broke and I couldn't sleep at night (personally) knowing I was taking tax dollars for my own mistake. Its perhaps not what everyone would do, but it was my decision. My mom worked for the state for 36 years and voluntarily gave up pension benefits and salary benefits she was grandfathered into to help with the states economy. This affected her health benefits that assisted with her MS treatments. I couldn't take that money because I was too cheap to get insurance. At least, thats how I felt about it.

But in all honesty ... I have a hard time with receiving help or gifts.. I'm a stubborn son of a bitch. My company matched some donations employees gave, totaling about $4,000 and I felt so wrong taking it :( But because I knew people were voluntarily donating from the kindness of their hearts I had to accept, it was the right thing and only thing to do.

But anyways, you are right.. society should help each other in times of need. I'm just stubborn, and really felt better about not filing for relief funds from the tax payers. It really was a personal decision and not something I want to come off as an opinion.*shrug* If anything, other people probably needed that money more than I did. I was able to move back in with my parents rent free and save save save.

edit. Oh I forgot, 1 week to the day after my house burned down my car blew a piston and died on the 15FWY from LA to Las Vegas.. between the cities of Barstow and Baker. This is the middle of nowhere, it was 10pm at night and we (gf and I) were stuck on the side of the road for 3 hours. Car was toast, bought a new one the following week. Neat year ... 2008.
KuGsj.gif

You are an admirable person. Just saying.

Dr. Pangloss said:
Not to make light of your situation Pristine, and I hope you recover, but it's not really the Austin fire chief's job to take care of homes out in the boonies. Usually the city has a contract worked out with county fire departments to coordinate activities. Also, if you are far out enough you might not have a city water connection and are reliant on well water. City fire trucks might not have the necessary equipment if they need a hydrant to connect to, and you all are running on your own wells. Sounds like you live in a pretty remote spot that was missed by emergency services. Should be more mad at your county fire department. My own county has about 10 of them and has only 250,000 residents and with 200,000 of those in the city itself with its separate fire district. Hope things work out for you.

I live within the city limits, on city water, within a 5-10 minute drive to stuff like Best Buy, Home Depot...typical medium-sized city shit. It only looks like the boonies because my actual neighborhood is in the woods.

All the surrounding counties and munis are supposed to help each other. We are a commuter town for Austin. We also have endangered species out here that are only out here, we have a state park that people from Austin frequent, the Boy Scout park for the whole area, a federal prison, and a State prison where Austin sends it's crooks, ect.

Beyond all that, the criticism of Austin's chief is more a question of "Is this person passionate about their job?"

I mean, you couldn't get most real firemen to stay away from this even if you chained them down to their desks. They came running from as far away as far West Texas and way down south in the Rio Grande valley, driving all night to get here. This was one of those seminal events in a firefighter's career.

I mean, damn...this is what you DO, if you are a firefighter.

Meanwhile, there wasn't just the one fire in the Southeast of her city...Austin was pretty much SURROUNDED by fire. There were also two big ones on the Northwest and the Northeast of the city. Yet this chief, who is still new to the job and has something to prove, stayed on the golf course in Colorado.

Dude, this is so horrible. But you and your family are safe, and that's the most important thing. And your ducks, of course.

You were courageous, always thinking about your parents and making sure they were safe before yourself. It seems you handled a horrific situation about as well as anyone could.

I'm sorry that you lost most of your possessions and homes. Just awful, I couldn't imagine going through it. It sounds like you guys have a good support system helping out, with family and friends. There is no shame on relying on those close to you as you would want them if the situation was reversed. Best-Gaf is with you, man.

Truly hoping for fortune to turn around ASAP for you and your family.

Pristine_Condition said:
I live within the city limits, on city water, within a 5-10 minute drive to stuff like Best Buy, Home Depot...typical medium-sized city shit. It only looks like the boonies because my actual neighborhood is in the woods.

All the surrounding counties and munis are supposed to help each other. We are a commuter town for Austin. We also have endangered species out here that are only out here, we have a state park that people from Austin frequent, the Boy Scout park for the whole area, a federal prison, and a State prison where Austin sends it's crooks, ect.

Beyond all that, the criticism of Austin's chief is more a question of "Is this person passionate about their job?"

I mean, you couldn't get most real firemen to stay away from this even if you chained them down to their desks. They came running from as far away as far West Texas and way down south in the Rio Grande valley, driving all night to get here. This was one of those seminal events in a firefighter's career.

Meanwhile, there wasn't just the one fire in the Southeast of her city...Austin was pretty much SURROUNDED by fire. There were also two big ones on the Northwest and the Northeast of the city. Yet this chief, who is still new to the job and has something to prove, stayed on the golf course in Colorado.
I agree with you in that she should have showed more concern about adjacent districts. It doesn't take much for their problem to become yours. Good fences make good neighbors and all that. I was just basing my opinion on what you wrote and my own experiences. There are plenty of areas not 5 minutes from my city that are not in the limits and run off their own wells. I know its just a line in the sand, but funding for their emergency services goes to a county fire district and not the city. Sometimes its even a city within a city. Austin definitely should have had contracts with said districts though and have had better coordination with them.

Black Mamba said:
Dude, this is so horrible. But you and your family are safe, and that's the most important thing. And your ducks, of course.

You were courageous, always thinking about your parents and making sure they were safe before yourself. It seems you handled a horrific situation about as well as anyone could.

I'm not trying to sound like a hero. I don't think it was courage. I think it was just me thinking, "I'd have a lot better chance of ditching the car and running from the fire if this road is blocked than my mom," combined with the desire not to see my mother who I actually do love more than my life burn up in a fire, combined with the practical fact that I had to go there anyway...it was the only way out.

It was just one of those things that had to be done.

Black Mamba said:
I'm sorry that you lost most of your possessions and homes. Just awful, I couldn't imagine going through it. It sounds like you guys have a good support system helping out, with family and friends. There is no shame on relying on those close to you as would want them for you. Best-Gaf is with you, man.

Truly hoping for fortune to turn around ASAP for you and your family.

Me too. I could definitely use something good breaking off for me for a change.

Thanks for the wishes. I didn't realize you were the official Best-GAF spokesman when emergencies and disasters are afoot. You did cheer me up though by reminding me that, even when things are so bleak, at least the Mavs are still the WORLD CHAMPS for the foreseeable future.

It's 4:00 AM. Guess I should try to get some sleep.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Christ, that's horrible :( I just can't imagine the feeling of losing everything you own, all your photos and important papers and such things. But at least you and your parents (and your ducks) are safe and unharmed.

IrishNinja

Pristine_Condition said:
-I've heard things about since FEMA got there they've been turning down volunteers unless they have all this paperwork in order. As soon as the Feds arrived, so did loads of red tape.

I'm sure we'll see them bring something to the table, but right now, I'm not impressed.

this part always sucks, people talk about how FEMA took 5 days to get water to the astrodome (katrina) but not as many know about all the wal-mart & other trucks loaded with water & supplies that they wouldn't let in. fucking criminal.

just wanted to vouch for this. at academy in '05, half my instructors left for a week or to, jumping at the chance to do USAR (urban search & rescue) efforts in louisiana. this is literally why you signed up.

Offering my condolences. I've had my close call with fires driving right through it (Cajon Pass fire in 2001). Thankfully most residents dodged a bullet with that one.

Hope your ducks stay okay and your family can pull through. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom