• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

Jubs

Man, the game is way too fast. Having a hard time adapting. Probably doesn't help that my thumb is forever glued to square(accelerate). I keep forgetting about the quick turn and the brake/reverse. Keep running into other cars and buildings.

jabuseika

People don't really know how easy the heli is to kill, and I keep ending rounds without dying on it. :D

The main strategy with the Heli is to stock up on missiles, and just hunt players that are low on health; easy kills.

BHK3

Banned
So I found an easter egg :D!

If look closly at the stained glass window in/outside the church, the guy dressed up as the pope is David Jaffe!

Chromax

Yay killed all 6 in offline mode! The trick is definitely using the ability on the directional pad and item placement. (especially health)

Was not able to get the matchmaking working at all in the demo, will try another day. Just wondering, will the full game have a server browser?

Booshka

Man, the game is way too fast. Having a hard time adapting. Probably doesn't help that my thumb is forever glued to square(accelerate). I keep forgetting about the quick turn and the brake/reverse. Keep running into other cars and buildings.

You should be able to position your thumb on the Square button so that it also slightly rests on the X button, this way you can hit both at the same time when necessary without moving your thumb. I think mastering the right mix of accelerating and sliding is critical to getting better at Twisted Metal.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Good. Tough AI means Tougher crowd online when someone masters it. I like it when offline AI is tough and makes you practice.

Will download tomorrow! D:
Yeah, the challenging AI is definitely a good thing - better players online. I'm sort of getting used to it though. Once you know the map, weapons, what works, what doesn't - it's a lot of fun.

Pkaz01

So how do you even play when all 5 enemies just target you non stop? Am i this really this bad? because I can't even get a feel for it or look around when the second the game starts I am getting blown up.

Chromax

So how do you even play when all 5 enemies just target you non stop? Am i this really this bad? because I can't even get a feel for it or look around when the second the game starts I am getting blown up.

I just try to run away and look for health to heal up, then pick them off one by one starting with Crimson Fury/Reaper.

divide and conquer! 5 on 1 and you lose, but if you get away for a moment and isolate the CPU AI then you can eventually take them all out. just go drivin around, stocking up on ammo and be mindful of where some health is when you need it

AwShucks

Apparently my inability to beat all AI in Challenge mode as Mr Grimm is not indicative of my online skill, as I was carrying my team in Nuke both in # of kills and in captures + successful missile shots.

Tim-E

Gone from seriously doubting this game to pre-ordering it on my lunch break later today. It feels every bit like a Twisted Metal game and I don't know why I ever doubted it, but I did. Every doubt I had was destroyed by this demo. It's exactly what I hoped it would be.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Goddamn this game is good. Played for a few hours, tried out a few different cars... haven't gone through all of them yet. Having such a blast with it online though. I'll be playing quite a bit of this demo, and the wait for the 14th is that much longer.

One thing that I felt was missing was the audio queues when firing a special weapon. Each car had one in the past, be it Warthog's trumpet with his missile attack, Axel's "Axel Power", Outlaw's siren, Crimson Fury's high pitched darting noise, etc. I felt like those added more character to the cars and I'm sad that they're gone.

PS: Bring back Mr. Slam

vireland

Yeah, the challenging AI is definitely a good thing - better players online. I'm sort of getting used to it though. Once you know the map, weapons, what works, what doesn't - it's a lot of fun.

Are people really finding the AI challenging? I'm not dying at all. It seems very easy. I played it at E3 and had a blast, dying a few times, but that was against real people. The AI on the demo map is weak, IMO. Not dying at all is no fun.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Are people really finding the AI challenging? I'm not dying at all. It seems very easy. I played it at E3 and had a blast, dying a few times, but that was against real people. The AI on the demo map is weak, IMO. Not dying at all is no fun.
I guess people just need to get used to the game. It's mostly the unfamiliarity that's the problem.

jabuseika

Any more secrets?

If you blow up the town center clock, it reveals Mega Bullets.

If you destroy both of the big dishes, it creates special ramps to get up the hill.

RagnarokX

HRarG.jpg

<3 Talon :D

Look at all the stuff you gotta unlock in ranked online multiplayer:
nCDhk.jpg

akR9p.jpg

Tier 1: Meat Wagon, Roadboat, Crimson Fury, Junkyard Dog, Vermin, Roadkill
Tier 2: Reaper, Sweet Tooth, Talon, Shadow, Darkside
Tier 3: Juggernaut

So I guess the only vehicles available at the start are Outlaw, Death Warrant, and Kamikaze.

Axel and Warthog are unlockables

So I finally got the hang of this game, and good god what a rush. Never played a TM before, so I was fucking clueless when I started - couldn't even rationalize how every vehicle has access to mines, shields, and freeze missiles lol. The depth is fucking insane...I finally go to the point where I can take out the AIs as Death Warrant and Outlaw but those abilities aren't even part of my game yet.

Question - How do you use grenades with Outlaw? And is his alt. special just a faster fire rate? Also, how to determine how much special you have? Sometimes it cools down after one use, sometimes I can use it back to back.

Awesome game, will preorder when I get paid in a few days.

AwShucks

I've played TM since the first one and Black is my favorite PS2 game and I've played it probably more than any other game I've ever played.

And maybe that's why the AI in this is difficult for me. Not because of the AI but because of the controls. They aren't drastically different (I play dual stick) but they are different enough that I am having to unlearn some of my previous driving mechanics. I play as Mr Grimm so it's a bit tougher (I've tried other vehicles and do a lot better), but even then going into multiplayer and fighting actual people was insanely easy compared to the AI in challenge.

RagnarokX

So I finally got the hang of this game, and good god what a rush. Never played a TM before, so I was fucking clueless when I started - couldn't even rationalize how every vehicle has access to mines, shields, and freeze missiles lol. The depth is fucking insane...I finally go to the point where I can take out the AIs as Death Warrant and Outlaw but those abilities aren't even part of my game yet.

Question - How do you use grenades with Outlaw? And is his alt. special just a faster fire rate? Also, how to determine how much special you have? Sometimes it cools down after one use, sometimes I can use it back to back.

Awesome game, will preorder when I get paid in a few days.

The number next to the Special indicates how many Specials you have accumulated.

Yo Gotti

Banned
This game is the shit. It's hard to wrap your head around the controls after a while but once you do it's fun as hell.

Atruvius

Surprisingly fun though very chaotic. I tried the helicopter once, didn't really like it. The first car is my favourite.

Only bugs I experienced were weapons that sometimes didn't launch and when I picked up a weapon I didn't get it.

Won't be a day 1 purchase but will probably buy sometime this summer if the MP is still active.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Damn guys nice impressions..

I played the shit out of TM2 back in the day.. Gotta play the demo lol.. Sounds like too much fun all over again.

dab0ne

I last like 1.5 minutes in the single player. As soon as I start there are like 3 dudes up my ass and they never leave. I can't even stop and turn around long enough to shoot anyone because as soon as I'm done running I turn to fight and get murdered. At least online there are other distractions and you respawn.

Tokubetsu

I last like 1.5 minutes in the single player. As soon as I start there are like 3 dudes up my ass and they never leave. I can't even stop and turn around long enough to shoot anyone because as soon as I'm done running I turn to fight and get murdered. At least online there are other distractions and you respawn.

It took me two tries but I beat it. Just gotta get health packs, dodge, and single out enemies. Focus on one at a time.

web01

Is there no way to party up? Stupid if not.
Apart from that game is fun and runs well considering 16 players and th amount of stuff going on.

Is there no way to party up? Stupid if not.
Apart from that game is fun and runs well considering 16 players and th amount of stuff going on.

It's available in the full game. The demo is just meant to give you an idea of what the multiplayer will be like.

vireland

Are you using the quick turn? I basically keep square jammed on, and quickturn as needed for 45, 90, 135, 180 degree turns fast.

dab0ne

Are you using the quick turn? I basically keep square jammed on, and quickturn as needed for 45, 90, 135, 180 degree turns fast.

I tap X while holding down Square if that's what you mean. It doesn't matter I've moved on. Couldn't get onto the online so I just started replaying Mass Effect 2 to get a different ending or Mass Effect 3. I can't be bothered now until Amalur comes out. I'll probably get TM but not on day one. Thanks for the tips though.

Top Bottom