• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Is the Phantom Menace commentary supposed to be synced with the movie somehow, like Rifftrax? Or does he not really comment on individual scenes, but just slates the film as a whole again?

rezuth

So, am I being completely crazy... Or is nobody in here talking about the far more exciting thing that RLM released today - Mike's full-length audio commentary for The Phantom Menace, performed in character as Plinkett?

I'm listening to it now...

EDIT: There's a link to it at the top of the RLM homepage, so I guess if you followed a link straight to the 3D re-release post you have a pretty good excuse for having missed it.

Holy shit, a reason to watch Episode 1? I'm in!

SmithnCo

So, am I being completely crazy... Or is nobody in here talking about the far more exciting thing that RLM released today - Mike's full-length audio commentary for The Phantom Menace, performed in character as Plinkett?

EDIT: There's a link to it at the top of the RLM homepage, so I guess if you followed a link straight to the 3D re-release post you have a pretty good excuse for having missed it.

:O MST3K/Rifftrax-esque Plinkett? Sounds amazing.

B33

Banned
Is the Phantom Menace commentary supposed to be synced with the movie somehow, like Rifftrax? Or does he not really comment on individual scenes, but just slates the film as a whole again?

The former. Start playing the track as the title flashes on screen.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Sweet, now there's two reasons to watch The Phantom Menace. The Rifftrax and the Plinkett-trax.

Won

RLM really wants us to watch the prequels again, don't they? :D

Now to find a copy of the The Phantom Menace.

Just finished the Plinkett commentary while watching Phantom Menace on DVD. It's not that great, to be honest; definitely nowhere near as good as the actual reviews. 90% of the time, he's not talking about what's happening on screen at that moment, and he spends most of the time going on a tangent about completely unrelated things, far moreso than his reviews. Sometimes he even clams up completely and says little to nothing at all.

But then, I get the feeling that most of it is unscripted, so I'll cut him some slack. And it's by no means bad. Just don't go in expecting it to be on par with either his reviews or Rifftrax/MST3K.

Oh, and there are syncing issues; I synced it right at the start, but there were pretty big discrepancies at some points where Plinkett talked about what was happening at that particular moment. But like I said, since he rarely does it (and when he does, he tends to address the whole scene, rather than little details), it's not really a big deal.

epmode

Listened to the whole thing. Most of it is pretty dull and feels unscripted. There is some great stuff though and his impressions are amazing.

DrBo42

The Tara Reid thing had me crying. I have no idea why that was so funny. Overall it's not great but man does it have some super funny parts.

would it be possible to watch the Episode 1 3D review with a 3ds and get the 3d effect?

Not directly, but it's possible it could be converted to work like that. It would be best if they released a version in side-by-side format so you could work with that.

To be honest, though, you're not missing much. (Just like the real rerelease, I'm sure.)

Pretty awesome ending to the new HitB. A new character threatens to put Mike and Jay out of business!

PS. I kinda liked that guy's ideas for how to make Episode I good. Not as awesome as the RLM review, but still pretty solid.

Anth0ny

That ending was awesome. Is Half in the Bag a
PREQUEL to the Plinkett reviews?!?
DUMDUMDUM

I agree about Ghostrider. Wasn't great, but it was still a fun watch. Nick Cage makes me laugh.

I didn't know the directors actually filmed on roller skates and all that. Pretty intense.

I thought the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull trailer confirmed that the Plinkett from half in the bag is a different Plinkett from the reviews, despite being similarly obese, disgusting old men.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Nice, I was hoping they'd review Chronicle. I'm amazed by how much I generally agree with them.

I thought the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull trailer confirmed that the Plinkett from half in the bag is a different Plinkett from the reviews, despite being similarly obese, disgusting old men.
Mike Stoklasa is Plinkett in the reviews. Rich Evans is the Plinkett in HitB.

BigDug13

I love his reviews, but really couldn't get into the EP 1 commentary. Too many tangents that last far too long, and without the clips to compare to previous work like he does in his reviews, it really loses something.

He should spend his time doing more reviews and avoid the commentary stuff.

GavinGT

Banned
How many spoilers on Chronicles? I've never missed an HitB, but i'm kinda interested in Chronicles too.

I just watched that Half in the Bag, and subsequently watched Chronicle. Literally nothing of value was spoiled. Unless camera techniques and justifications for camera placements count as spoilers.

Awesome fucking movie, BTW.

I can never load the site and all of their video aren't on youtube. Why is that ?

Edit : oh I see the link a couple of post ahead but the site just load as a billion line of HTML.

UrbanRats

I just watched that Half in the Bag, and subsequently watched Chronicle. Literally nothing of value was spoiled. Unless camera techniques and justifications for camera placements count as spoilers.

Awesome fucking movie, BTW.

Thanks, will watch now then.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Got around to listening to this, good insights, but way to much filler in between.

Izick

About to watch Episode 1 review for like the 5th time. Is it sad, or is it brilliant that I've watched these reviews more than the actual movies in them?

I love watching the reviews whenever I'm doing a paper, because I know that I'm not missing anything visually, since I've seen them all, but I also feel like I learn something, or realize something through osmosis every time I put them on. I think the intelligence of these reviews is never given enough recognition, simply because how funny they are.

About to watch Episode 1 review for like the 5th time. Is it sad, or is it brilliant that I've watched these reviews more than the actual movies in them?

I love watching the reviews whenever I'm doing a paper, because I know that I'm not missing anything visually, since I've seen them all, but I also feel like I learn something, or realize something through osmosis every time I put them on. I think the intelligence of these reviews is never given enough recognition, simply because how funny they are.
Ya, I forwarded them to my friends who write fiction. They make a lot of good points about how to tell a story.

I could listen to this guy talk all day. Something about searing insight and biting sarcasm delivered in a slow, monotone drawl that just hits the spot.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
They've got a Red Letter Media archive collection DVD out today to help fund their next movie. Some of it's exclusive stuff, alot of it's available on the site and it's a few bucks more than I'd prefer, but I still say it's going toward a worthwhile cause, they've put out some really entertaining content.

Top Bottom