• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry "we can now finally rule out any next-gen pretensions for the Wii U"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riposte

It really depends on what type of exclusives the 720 and PS4 have. I have absolutely no interest in Microsoft or Sony's exclusives from the PS3 days, but Nintendo had by far the best exclusive lineup from last gen.

If the Microsoft and Sony exclusives are as weak as they were last gen, I can completely see myself sticking to Wii U+PC.

Are you ignoring games which are exclusive to PS3 and 360 (i.e. games you need at least one or the other to play)?

Z_Y_W_Y

Banned
You rather buy something with the potential to blow you away graphically than something that you know will have games you want to play and look good?
:/

The thing is, it won't. How could it if it won't be able to run them? If it already barely runs current-gen games then it's pretty much guarantee Nintendo will be once again left without 3rd party games once Orbis/Durango show up.

It really depends on what type of exclusives the 720 and PS4 have. I have absolutely no interest in Microsoft or Sony's exclusives from the PS3 days, but Nintendo had by far the best exclusive lineup from last gen.

If the Microsoft and Sony exclusives are as weak as they were last gen, I can completely see myself sticking to Wii U+PC.

Lol, if you think the 360/PS3's exclusives were "weak" this gen, you should probably stick with Wii U+PC.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
This X1000

The install base for the 360/PS3 is much larger than the last gen consoles ever were. I really just can't help but think that its going to be tough for developers to want to switch to the next gen for at least the first few years.

I really can't think of a reason for developers to switch from the PS2 when it has a bigger install base and is cheaper to develop on too.

The Wii was really a bit of a lightning strike. The odd thing is, the whole reason Nintendo went the way they did with the Wii was to escape the "three very similar consoles" trend, so why they'd use the "Blue Ocean" mindset twice is beyond me.

as we understand it, this crucial information simply wasn't available in Nintendo's papers, with developers essentially left to their own devices to figure out the performance level of the hardware.

That can't be true. How crazy is that?

Gustav

Banned
Honestly, the port performance doesn't indicate much yet. We know the RAM bandwidth is an issue, but the likely culprit for poor port performance is the CPU. Without redesigning an engine to take proper advantage of the CPU, compromises will have to be made to retrofit it as it's a completely different architecture. Yeah, I believe it was a poor decision on Nintendo's part to choose an architecture that was so incompatible with current systems, but I don't think judging the capabilities of the system on these port efforts is fair at this time.

There really is no need to talk around the issue here. It's plain and simple: No, you won't get "next gen" graphics with the Wii U. Performance wise it will be left in the dust by Sony's and Microsoft's next gen offerings.

Yes people buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games, but your average gamer is going to expect some sort of parity that would come with a newer system. So far, Wii U doesn't have that parity and looks like it probably never will...

i don't recall 'your average gamer' doing this with the wii. why now? simply because 'hd'?...

Mael

The Wii was really a bit of a lightning strike. The odd thing is, the whole reason Nintendo went the way they did with the Wii was to escape the "three very similar consoles" trend, so why they'd use the "Blue Ocean" mindset twice is beyond me.

At this time I think a good idea would be for you to actually look at Blue Ocean Strategy and inform yourself because you clearly don't know wth you're talking about.

Threads like this make me feel good about my penis size. I must be doing well in that department because I don't have this need to overcompensate by having the "MOST ACHE DEE GRAFIX!"

Tell me: how do you find time to enjoy games when you're constantly freaking out about a console you don't own?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Why listen to anyone on hardware?

You cannot see how it might be easier for them to be excited about the hardware because they are coming off the paltry shit that is inside the Wii and 3DS? Come on, man. 360-level hardware for them is a whole new world.

Apath

This X1000

The install base for the 360/PS3 is much larger than the last gen consoles ever were. I really just can't help but think that its going to be tough for developers to want to switch to the next gen for at least the first few years.
Current generation console growth is going to stagnate. As new consoles are released with more capabilities, the most talented developers will move to the new systems to create better games that are more capable of carrying out their vision. As these more powerful consoles produce newer and better games -- visuals, gameplay, features -- you're going to have gamers move onto the newer platform. These newer platforms will be much more friendly and open to new games, and since a new release won't be competing with a library of hundreds of good to great games, they will have a higher chance of being a success.

Just look at what releases on the current generation consoles: sequel, sequel, and more sequels. Why would next generation systems coming out suddenly open the flood gates for new, innovative games on current gen systems?

The only people who had "next-gen (graphic) pretensions" were the ones who either had their head in the clouds or weren't paying attention, so this is really no revelation.

nbthedude

So I guess Nintendo diehard dudes now transition from "it isnt true" to "it dosn't matter" just like Global warming hoaxers.

Wii U owners are forced to buy a Next Generation box to sit next to the Wii U

this will be interesting to see if the Wii U survives at all. I love the thing but we have yet to see the games for these Next Boxes

Weak in terms of quality,? Depends on taste
Weak in terms of sales? Definately.

Really? Didn't most exclusives (besides games like Alan Wake or something) sell at least a few million each? Many sold 5+ million... And we're gauging quality here, since we're consumers and not investors.

Lol, if you think the 360/PS3's exclusives were "weak" this gen, you should probably stick with Wii U+PC.

PS3, once it hit 2008, had an great steak from 2008-2010 in terms of exclusives. But the two years prior to that, and the two years after that, PS3 was been weak as hell despite having a shit ton of exclusives.

And I was never at all interested in 360 exclusives. I never liked Halo or Gears of War, and I am not a big fan of simulation racers. 360 had an incredible first couple of years, but after that, for me anyways, I found myself mainly spending most of my time on Wii, PC, and DS/3DS/PSP. And most of the XBLA games are seeing releases on PC, so I don't feel the need to buy a 720 for potential XBLA games either.

I've said several times here before the Wii U was released that power-wise the Wii U will be to the upcoming gen what the Wii is to the current gen. In short form, a gen behind. And that's fine! And business-wise they obviously knocked it out of the ballpark with that strategy this run. I'm sure there will be many good games on the Wii U.

Apath

Are you an investor or a gamer? What the fuck kind of argument is this.
Even from that standpoint, a lot of exclusives did quite well on PS360. Not as well as Nintendo games, but then again, Nintendo is one of the best developers in the world with some of the best IPs in the industry.

PS3, once it hit 2008, had an great steak from 2008-2010 in terms of exclusives. But the two years prior to that, and the two years after that, PS3 was been weak as hell despite having a shit ton of exclusives.

And I was never at all interested in 360 exclusives. I never liked Halo or Gears of War, and I am not a big fan of simulation racers. 360 had an incredible first couple of years, but after that, for me anyways, I found myself mainly spending most of my time on Wii, PC, and DS/3DS/PSP.
Yeah, Microsoft kind of just... gave up around 2009-2010. Before that though, they released a ton of great exclusives (that mostly didn't do so well on the sales charts).

jett

D-Member
This was obvious to anyone that wasn't blinded by Nintendo bias, but good to have some cold, hard facts.

JordanN

Banned
You cannot see how it might be easier for them to be excited about the hardware because they are coming off the paltry shit that is inside the Wii and 3DS? Come on, man. 360-level hardware for them is a whole new world.
Why are you bringing up the Wii? This is technology they're talking about.

WiiU doesn't have the same kind of appealing hook that the Wii, one that made people look beyond graphics.

i agree. the wii introduced 'waggle', & it swept the nation. but everyone's already done touchscreen. nintendo fans don't care. but a lot of those casual 'waggle' fans that got pulled in won't be coming to the party...

Thraktor

For those that haven't seen, this article is based on our own thread right here.

Furthermore, I feel the following needs to be quoted (from myself in the OP of the Latte die photo thread):

Thraktor said:
wiiudie_blocks.jpg

- There are a total of 40 logical blocks on the GPU die, excluding memory and I/O. These seem to be composed of 25 different types.

- Digital Foundry claims that the GPU has a 320:16:8 core config. Even including the ROPs, ARM and DSP, this only accounts for 16 out of the 40 logical blocks on there, leaving the considerable majority of the GPU logic unexplained.

I don't get all the "fire Iwata" talk. The new machines are released, what could his successor possibly do at this point outside of beginning early preparations for 4DS and WiiU2?

jett

D-Member
This was... pretty obvious, was it not? Surely nobody thought it would be able to keep up.

raredaigofootage3u4c.gif

Even after 2011's disappointing E3 showing, people were insisting it'd be competitive with proper next-gen consoles. EVEN after last year's complete and utter disaster of an E3 showing, people were still hoping for a miracle. EVEN after ports of PS360 games ran worse, some kept on. I am sure there are still some that will insist on it.

waypoetic

Banned
So I guess Nintendo diehard dudes now transition from "it isnt true" to "it dosn't matter" just like Global warming hoaxers.

Yup, and they'll never accept "defeat". Because it's never about graphics or online or dev support, it's always about "the unique gameplay" and the "original IP's". Platforming and the same ol' IP's can only get you so far - and enough money/sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom