• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulldog

I'd really appreciate more in-depth discussions (full on spoilers). A couple of weeks after release would be ideal, still fresh while all the initial hype has had time to settle.

I had no real desire to play NieR (combat didn't look fun, game looked visually dull) but everyone talking about how the story is cray philosophical makes me reconsider. A few hours ago Amazon had it for $50 which would have been a good enough deal, but it's back up in price now so I'll just wait.

Ones I'd like to see

Zelda BOTW - Frametrap was close but it didn't have Kyle. And I'd like No dancing around anything regarding spoilers.
Nier:Automata
Yakuza 0
Persona 5 (eventually)
Horizon Zero Dawn

Prompto

Banned
It's probably way too late now but we never got a spoiler talk about Uncharted 4 either right? I remember them saying they were waiting till Brandon finished it to possibly do one.

It's probably way too late now but we never got a spoiler talk about Uncharted 4 either right? I remember them saying they were waiting till Brandon finished it to possibly do one.

lol, I'm guessing you didn't read the last page? The Huber Syndrome episode is the best we're going to get.

Philippo

Huber, Ian and Brad's reactions to NieR are actually going to be these:

6b281d44-eff0-4f60-98a4-38f979b462f9.jpg

I'm with Kyle on Bloodborne being a one and done. I don't know why so many people completely ignore the fact that 1. Sony are all about creative freedom, which is the reason why we got Bloodborne in the first place, instead of just Demon's Souls 2, and 2. Miyazaki has made it clear he's not interested in making a Bloodborne sequel. I mean, I guess he could be lying but seeing as he's the President of FromSoft these days, I doubt he'd be able to.

I think a new Souls-like from FromSoft and Sony is a given but I think it'll be another new IP.

Edit: Mac Walters is infamous for being one of the two people responsible for the mess that was Mass Effect 3's garbage ending. One of Mass Effect 3's writers wrote a post on the Penny Arcade Forums shortly after it came out (which he later deleted) saying that Casey Hudson and Mac Walters came up with its ending all by themselves and didn't let the rest of the writing team hold it up to any scrutiny, unlike every other scene in the series.

Nasbin

I know there's a million other games and they might not be down with the bullet hell, but I'd love it for as many of the allies to play Automata as possible

Just so that it can get a fair chance at the end of the year instead of two people singing praises and everyone else having to take their word for it

Brad and Huber are already locked in to play, and I'm hopeful at least Blood and Kyle will make time for it in the coming drought. Blood has to play it just so he can experience that glorious soundtrack in context.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Brad and Huber are already locked in to play, and I'm hopeful at least Blood and Kyle will make time for it in the coming drought. Blood has to play it just so he can experience that glorious soundtrack in context.
Damiani too.
---------------
Had to share two tweets on Persona 5 that are spoiler free of course but give really great context to the experience. I had inklings on certain things but I definitely was also unaware of how close to home some of it does hit for Japan.
https://twitter.com/RyougaSaotome/status/847134901048692736
https://twitter.com/iiotenki/status/814615451393257472

Ultimadrago

I'm guessing from Huber's tweet that Night In The Woods is an upcoming Don't Skip.

For real? I just finished this game very recently and was thinking "This would make for a nice Don't Skip.", but didn't expect it. I'm not holding my breath, but the character writing in the game alone makes it worth a segment.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Don't really have scores but I think Nier:A is a much more interesting game than Persona 5 to dig into and wrap your brain around and dissect.
Persona though is like a much more emotionally engaging game that makes you look at different life situations. Hope that difference makes sense in some way. In the end for me both are insanely stellar in their own ways.
I got annoyed at Huber during the podcast, fuck that whole Persona 5 talk there.
Mmmh? Why though? I really enjoyed those bits, infectious energy and jolly hype.

Ray Down

Banned
What's the time stamp?
I don't have it since I'm on mobile ATM.
It wasn't jolly to me, it was annoying I do t want any one to try to talk me into something like that.

Just let people play when they want to play, a conversation about your experience can always happen for a game like that.

Roubjon

Don't really have scores but I think Nier:A is a much more interesting game than Persona 5 to dig into and wrap your brain around and dissect.
Persona though is like a much more emotionally engaging game that makes you look at different life situations. Hope that difference makes sense in some way. In the end for me both are insanely stellar in their own ways.

I agree with you 100%, I completed Nier two days ago and I can't stop thinking about it. It was such a thoughtful game that respected its audience.

Regarding Persona, I actually didn't like Persona 4 that much because I couldn't connect with any of the characters and I feel like that entire game is built upon connecting with the characters. I also thought the dungeons and battles got sort of boring half way into it. And the Scooby Doo vibe wasn't my jam either.

I'm excited for P5 though, because it seems like the new one fixed all of those issues I had with P4. When Yakuza 0 goes on sale, I'll buy it, finish it, and then wait for Persona 5 to go on sale.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Just let people play when they want to play, a conversation about your experience can always happen for a game like that.
Well not really, as already discussed like 1 page back? Sometimes at least for recording purposes having indepth discussions on games can miss its timing. So I'm happy that we might see Kyle be part of the early conversation. It's just different when many are in on it at the same time and everyone has an experience fresh in their mind.
Also like it was all in good fun really. If Kyle wasn't up for it at all I'm sure no amount of Huber talking it up would have changed his decision. But I don't know might also be because things like this happen to me too so it comes of as harmless in context. Maybe if my experiences were slightly different I could relate to it coming off as annoying.

Sorry if that comes off as dismissive not my intention also not trying to change how you feel. Just wanted to comprehend.
It can be about 4-5 hours for a play through if you check out everyone in town every day (which is really what makes the experience. It's all about getting a feel for the day-by-day moments, so it's best not to rush since the leading narrative pales in terms of quality).

Thanks I think I'll put it in my wishlist and maybe go to it if I'm up for a small afternoon game.

Ultimadrago

How long is the game?

It can be about 4-5 hours for a play through if you check out everyone in town every day, which is really what makes the experience. It's all about getting a feel for the day-by-day moments in what Possum Springs has turned into, so it's best not to rush since the leading narrative pales in terms of quality.

Nasbin

I find it so strange when people label games like Nier or Bloodborne JRPGs, like that's a useful genre descriptor. Action RPGs aren't JRPGs just because they have a Japanese dev team. Nier blurs the lines more than the Souls games but it still doesn't sound right at all. Cosmic Star Heroine has more in common with Persona than Nier.

I find it so strange when people label games like Nier or Bloodborne JRPGs, like that's a useful genre descriptor. Action RPGs aren't JRPGs just because they have a Japanese dev team. Nier blurs the lines more than the Souls games but it still doesn't sound right at all. Cosmic Star Heroine has more in common with Persona than Nier.

So I take it you don't consider Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy XV, Ys, Tales of or NieR Automata to be JRPGs either?

JRPG and WRPG are dumb, out-dated sub-genre names that don't really make a lot of sense these days. Especially when you've got people out there claiming Souls-likes are WRPGs for some pretty nonsense reasons.

Burt

GRR IT IS MORE IMPORTANT FOR ME TO KNOW THE NATIONAL ECONOMY TO WHICH I AM GIVING MY CURRENCY THAN IT TO HAVE AN EASY AND CONCISE UNDERSTANDING OF THE GENRE OF THE GAME FOR WHICH I AM GIVING IT

I'm with you 100%, and it really isn't even an argument worth having with anyone who thinks otherwise. The term "JRPG" didn't emerge to tell audiences which country's economy you were giving your money to, or where a game came from. If that were the case, we would at least have J-... adventure games and J-...puzzle games... and J-platformers and all other sorts of stupid, unnecessary modifiers. The term came about to clearly and concisely differentiate one sub-genre, one style of gameplay, from another, i.e. W/cRPG from JRPG.

The Elder Scrolls isn't an American RPG. Child of Light isn't a Canadian RPG. The Witcher isn't a Polish RPG. I mean, they are, but those aren't their genres, because those aren't genres at all. If JRPG really is a genre, then it isn't exclusive to games produced in Japan. If you're arguing otherwise, you might as well say that Counter-Strike is a MOBA because it's a game in which multiplayer battles take place online in an enclosed area that could easily be argued is an arena.

Still, it would be a great Frametrap question

Can I submit it here?

Officially:

Dear Ben,

wat is jrpg

While I agree that the genres have been blended in many cases (is Breath of the Wild an open world action RPG?), for Nier:Automata specifically, imagine if instead of sweet platinum combat it was old school FF menus. JRPG or no?

I think it's clearly a JRPG with an actual fun combat system. Admittedly I'm not particularly hospitable towards JRPGs usually, so I may not be the best person to pin down the genre. But that's how I describe that game to people.

Mista Koo

A coworker came by while I was skimming through the Tail of the Sun stream and he got really into the game.

It can be about 4-5 hours for a play through if you check out everyone in town every day, which is really what makes the experience. It's all about getting a feel for the day-by-day moments in what Possum Springs has turned into, so it's best not to rush since the leading narrative pales in terms of quality.
Really? I'm 8 hours in and it doesn't seem like I'm even close to beating the game. Although I'm reading every optional conversation in the game. I feel like I would've beaten the game by now if I was only doing the main conversations.

Karu

A coworker came by while I was skimming through the Tail of the Sun stream and he got really into the game.

Really? I'm 8 hours in and it doesn't seem like I'm even close to beating the game. Although I'm reading every optional conversation in the game. I feel like I would've beaten the game by now if I was only doing the main conversations.
My playthrough definitely was rather 8 than 4 hours. Could have easily spend some two hours or so more hunting for trophies and stuff, though.

Hasney

I wonder what he's gonna replace BvW with. I assume Fun Game.. whatever day that stream is.

Friday, which does have a good ring to it.

Honestly, for his comeback, the Allies should get an Analogue Mini NT and get rid of controller/emulation input lag, so he comes back UPGRADED.

Ultimadrago

Thanks I think I'll put it in my wishlist and maybe go to it if I'm up for a small afternoon game.

My playthrough definitely was rather 8 than 4 hours. Could have easily spend some two hours or so more hunting for trophies and stuff, though.

Apologies, upon actually checking my time, I did lowball that by quite a few hours. My first play through does seem closer to 9+ hours than 5, (I about forgot how much time side episodes and a certain mini-game added).
So amend my target to 7 - 9+ hours for a thorough run. Alternatively, 4-5 would be closer to a brief run through the game, disregarding most of the optional conversations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom