• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archer [Mafia] |OT| Wait, I Had Something For This

squidyj

I kind of want to make sure that people who have to go to sleep or be away for an extended period of time are voted on QB so that we don't wind up needing a hammer and not having it.

I've been trying to catch up on Star Wars: The Clone Wars (now on s03e01) and Archer (now somewhere in s02).

Oh, and I'll vote for QB once we decide to turbo.

Hobohodo

I kind of want to make sure that people who have to go to sleep or be away for an extended period of time are voted on QB so that we don't wind up needing a hammer and not having it.

My Day will be ending soon, and as YesNo unvoted it cancels me out so.

Vote: Quantumbro

This is more or less a repost of what I posted in the mission.

Flashback to Night 5. Enker had just wasted his override and I was pissed. On a player we had majority vote on? Really? So I got jealous and decided I would fake role claim to force people into a lynch. As soon as QuantumBro posted his role in that night's mission chat, I decided I would incriminate him somehow, someway.

Why QB? Because I didn't like his roleclaim at all. Because he had already been on people's suspects list for a while. What didn't help is that QB's role claim included a mention of the honeypot. I still see nothing but red. He obviously concocted a fake, harmless weak cop claim to slip under the radar and verify town players. But Roman, a hunter that just lets ISIS go? Come on. There is no honeypot. Archer has been the only honeypot the entire show. Not only that, but the only other possible honeypot character in the entire show is Katya, and I think she would be lovers with Barry, who is now dead.

Ezekel's 3 bps instead of infinite bp didn't help my demeanor either. That's why I told Palmer yesterday I was worried about players who make "slight changes" to their role claim. Wtf is the point of 3bp? It does not qualitatively change the game. I was letting Ezekel know, inconspicuously, that I did not appreciate his modified claim at all. But I still thought he was town, just maybe a hidden pr. And if there is another archer, he would have counterclaimed by day 4, so it is obvious he is archer.

Back to QB. So the day happened and I was set to say QB never investigated, get him lynched, and that would be my version of the override I was so covetous of. Cool. But then yesno came out with her evidence and Mike became the obvious choice.

Rats.

I still couldn't let it go, though. I was convinced QB was KGB and I needed yes no to roleblock QB tonight so that's when I claimed. We didn't yet know squidyj could do his thing on missions though so if I had known, I wouldn't have revealed. Anyway, if QB was roleblocked that night and still no nightkill, it would have been a nice little sloop and squat. Four mafia lynches in a row would have gotten our game in the GAFia hall of fame. So that's why I roleclaimed.

My role claim was structured in a way that would have signaled to someone that I had a plan. First, I chose a role that most certainly had a real occupant. That move is way too risky for KGB. Second, I was cleared by the weak cop, so why would I want to be back in the spotlight? At worst if I was KGB then QB was weird neutral but that doesn't matter to KGB so I would be spared 3, maybe 4 nights. That's basically enough to throw the game. It was as good as godfather. But I forsook it, so that's another indicator I'm town. The person reading my role claim should have gone "Well, I'm actually Pam. But he must have a good reason for this, so I'm going to let it slide for a day."

Hobo did not do this. Which irritated me, so I had to deal with that. But that's why we were both telling each other we don't think the other's kgb. He realized I had a gambit, just not a good one. But he didn't like QB's claim either so I forgive him.

Then squiddy revealed mission force kill. Wow. That's a game changer. Now I didn't need to force people to lynch QB, I just needed to get him back on the mission. That's awesome. So my role claim wasn't for naught after all because it created a situation that put enough extra suspicion on QB that we had a reason to put him back on the mission. I'm not saying it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't roleclaimed, but I do think it helped.

So where are we now? QB, Palmer, and I went on the mission voluntarily. To be honest, I don't think any one of us are scum, but I agree that lynching QB is a good option, and our most logical one.

Vote: QuantumBro
Volunteer

Votes
QuantumBro(7)
YesNOnoNOYes
squidyj
Hobohodo
Mazre
EzekelRage
Enker
Cabbeh
TheGoddamn
Hobohodo
Kristoffer

Volunteers:
squidyj
Enker
Kristoffer

...oops, I turbo'd the vote.

Majority has been reached. Day has ended?

Hobohodo

Apologies for not acting how you hoped the real Pam would Kris. As you could see from the timestamp I reacted rather quickly to the claim. Pretty much just went 'this guys lying!'. Of course the all the points you made seeped in and I realised you had to have a reason for doing as you did. So yeah, my bad there.

squidyj

If we win I'm gonna eat one of these cinnamon rolls I just baked in celebration, and have a Mimosa. Mimosa's for everybody.

If he's not scum I'll still eat the cinnamon roll..... but sadly.

If we win I'm gonna eat one of these cinnamon rolls I just baked in celebration, and have a Mimosa. Mimosa's for everybody.

If he's not scum I'll still eat the cinnamon roll..... but sadly.

So you're the jackass that keeps living the break room a mess.

PpuZuUG.jpg

Ourobolus

Banned
DAY 7 HAS ENDED

NbsFFOb.png

Malory walked out of her office, having heard what sounded like the scream of a woman...or Cyril.
The agents gathered in a circle, a body lying in the middle of the floor. EzekelRAGE stood forward, brandishing a pistol, the barrel still emanating a bit of heat and smoke.
"Wha...what on earth happened?" Malory exclaimed.
EzekelRAGE hid the offending weapon behind his back and responded, "I have no idea. The gun goes off for like, no reason. Anyway, Burbeting was the one who did it!"
"Burbeting's dead, you idiot!"
"Oh, right. Where was I?"
"You were...wait a minute..." Malory rubbed her eyes as the shapes in front of her began to finally focus. "Sterling? Is that you?"
"Uh, yeah, and/or 'duh.'" Sterling countered.
Malory scanned the people in front of her, counting twelve remaining agents. All of them...ISIS!
She gazed at the body on the floor, the corpse of QuantumBro splayed out in a pool of blood. "Sigh...of course it would have to be her. I knew that whore couldn't leave well enough alone." She motioned to her office. "Backup Krieger #2, get in here!"
As soon as the words left her lips, Krieger came running out of her office. "I know I've been hiding this entire time, but really, did you have to wait until the other two had died already?"
"Oh shut up. We didn't need you anyway. Take this body and have it examined."
QuantumBro said:
You are Katya Kazanova, the Honeypot.

You are aligned with the KGB.

A Russian secret agent, you’ve honed...your...skills...what? Where am I? Look, you’re just hot. Like, ridiculously hot. And your genitals are detachable. That’s awesome.
Each night phase, you may block another player from taking action by PMing me the command BLOCK: <player>. You also have a special kill role. Should you block Sterling Archer, you will end up killing him as well, because let’s face it; he always falls for the honeypot.

Your partners are: LOL

Night Phase Assassination
Each night phase, one of the KGB-aligned players may assassinate one of the non-KGB-aligned players by PMing me with the command KILL: <player>. This action will be associated with the player who sent the PM.

During the Night Phase, you may plot and scheme with your other KGB-aligned players in a private QuickTopic board found here.

You win when the KGB outnumbers or is equal to the amount of non-KGB players.

Extra Roles
As this is a cosplay-themed game, it stands to reason that good guys are named after good characters, and bad guys named after bad characters. To help out the KGB, here are a few roles that are not being used by the other players for you to pretend to be if you need to lie:
Ron Cadillac - The Used Car Dealer - You can swap two players at night.
Woodhouse - The Valet - You can use your stash of heroin to cause another player to target someone at random rather than their actual target.
Bilbo - The Nerd - You can put a tracking device on any player on a mission to track their movements. You’ll receive notification if they perform an action.
Note that you do not actually assume these roles - this is just information for you to use, if you choose.

Feel free to PM me any questions about your role. The public game thread is here.
Happy_krieger.JPG

THE GAME IS OVER. WINNERS: ISIS!

The remaining players are:
EzekelRAGE:
You are Sterling Archer, the Duchess.

You are aligned with ISIS (the agency, not the terrorist organization).

As the world's greatest Secret (but not-so-secret) Agent, you've been honing your skills for your entire adult life to compensate for your massive Mommy issues. As such, you're bulletproof, to an extent. You can survive one night assassination. However, you have a weakness: the Honeypot. You always fall for the Honeypot. Should you be targeted by the Honeypot, not even your training will be able to save you.

You win when all KGB players are eliminated.

Feel free to PM me any questions about your role. The public game thread is here.

YesNOnoNOYes:
You are Cyril Figgis, and you’re a Sex Addict. (Hi, Cyril!)

After a devastating break-up with Lana, you’ve resorted to banging your way across the fifty states, claiming that you’re addicted to sex. Each night, you MUST pick up the candy wrapper that you use as a contraceptive and visit a player of your choosing by PMing me the command “VISIT: <player>.” This will roleblock the player you visit. However, if your target is attacked, both of you will be killed.

Note: If for some reason you fail to send me a target for the night, one will be selected at random.

Enker:
You are Cheryl/Carol/Cherlene Tunt, the Heiress.

When you’re not getting high on eating rubber cement or feebly trying to housetrain your pet ocelot, you like to sleep on a pile of money while your servants cater to your every whim. Sometimes though, shouting and threats of making your co-workers choke you to orgasm aren’t enough for your voice to be heard. So once per game, you may override any vote during the day phase by bribing Malory, sealing your choice as the assassination target for the day. Post OVERRIDE: <player> in the thread to activate this role. This will immediately end the day phase.

Hobohodo:
You are Pam Poovey, the Peeping Tom.

Sure, you can fit three pool balls in your mouth. Sure, you can drink three gallons of Jaegermeister. And sure, you can get punched in the face countless times without breaking a sweat. But you know what? None of that matters. You’ve got your trusty binoculars at your side and you’re gonna do whatever you want with yourself while you watch someone else. During each night phase, you can target a player by PMing me the command PEEP: <player>. You’ll receive a report of who targeted your target, but not their actions.

squidyj:
You are Brett Bunson, the Buttmonkey.

You don’t have a lot going for you, but you’re extremely good at one thing - getting shot. Not the best of skills, but a skill nonetheless. Once per game, you may PM me the command ATTRACT to cause ALL night actions to affect you.

Mazre/TheGoddamn/Arkos/Kristoffer/Septimus Prime/cabbeh/Palmer_v1:
You are an Ordinary Drone.

You have no abilities other than voting! Your vote is your power!

Ourobolus

Banned
All right, good job, ISIS! You certainly...erm...wiped the floor with the KGB. Before we get to the general game retrospective, let's get a couple things out of the way...

The "Sterling Archer" Award: squidyj
Squidy's an arrogant bastard, let's face it. But he's an arrogant bastard you want on your team. Despite the fact that I can't believe you all didn't policy lynch him for his ridiculous cop claim, he's been on top of organizing damn near everything since then.

The "Luckiest Son of a Bitch" Award: YesNOnoNOYes
This game would have lasted several more days if it hadn't been for YNNNY's ridiculously lucky roleblock on Night 3. She had a 7% chance of blocking the killer, Mike_Hawk, and she got him. KGB, for some reason (and more on this later), thought there was a third doctor, so they didn't realize what was going on for two nights.

The "I Got This" Award: Darryl
Things may have gone differently if Darryl hadn't subbed in for GreatLord Tiger early on - and even more so had he not been on the mission the first night. Darryl was the first one to really recognize the utility of the missions from a town perspective - isolate a group of people and start investigating them one by one.

The "Premature Ejaculation" Award: Enker
I think we all know where I'm going with this.

The "I Wish I'd Thought of That" Award: El Topo
Cate Archer was genius. I can't believe I didn't think of that. NOLF was awesome. But on the other hand, Disney Robin Hood is awesome too, so nyah.

The "Best Newbie" Award: cabbeh
Typically frequent poster, strangely obsessed with YNNNY - cabbeh stepped up to provide plenty of relatively sane arguments throughout the game. TheGoddamn was a close pick for this one, as he rarely posted but usually had good insight, but cabbeh ekes out by being a very engaged member of the town team.

The "I'm Sorry, Could You Repeat That?" Award: Septimus Prime
C'mon man!
I'll chalk it up to first game jitters - hope you play again next season!

The "Habitat for Humanity" Award: Mazre
I think you've earned your merit badge, son.

The "Best Friends With the Moderator" Award: Haly
Haly was forced onto a team of KGB that was really, really, inactive. One role got replaced twice, and Mike and QB didn't really step up their game until they had to - after the others had been killed. Haly mostly talked to me for the first few days. :p

The "Excitable Third String Quarterback" Award: Gorlak
I do wonder how different things may have gone if Gorlak had been in from the start. Teamwork is an integral part of playing the Mafia side, and Gorlak was really into it from the get-go, after replacing TheAwesomePossum, who in turn replaced Razmos. Sadly he only lasted a short while.

WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

*dances*

omg omg OMG~ i had such a blast and terrific time, thank you all for playing ilu all (even the kgbs) and thank you ouro!!! <33333333333

Ourobolus

Banned
ISIS:
The game started really rough. ISIS was ISIS's worst enemy for most of the game, especially after the first day when the voting was between the Cop and the Doctor. However, after night 3 when YNNNY blocked Mike_Hawk, the game turned around dramatically. From there on out, it was all town's game, including utilizing the missions in a way that KGB couldn't manipulate.

KGB:
KGB had a few problems. Inactivity was a big one - their chat was ridiculously bare compared to the other games that have been played, both previous and current. As I can attest from the Animal Crossing game, you really need to be talking all. the. damn. time. to keep ahead of Town.
KGB's other main problem was being really timid with the mission mechanic. Had they got on that first mission, I think that we may be having quite a different conversation right now.
Haly did do his best with what he had, and for that I commend him, but I think it's clear he was a bit frustrated with how it all played out.

My Thoughts:
I, personally, thought the mission mechanic was a decent success. I was initially worried about how people would volunteer, but hoped that the players would somehow end up self-policing. In the end, that's exactly what happened, so kudos.

On balance: I think KGB was a little underpowered. If there were two things I would have changed, it would be:
1) Haly's Framer role should have had global reach, unrestrained by the mission
2) Gorlak should have been a one-shot long-range kill role.
Those two things I think would have made the game a bit more interesting and would have allowed KGB to bring a bit more confusion to the game. So KGB, I apologize. While you guys capitalizing on the mission earlier would have probably spelled better success for you in this game, I should have provided other options in case that wasn't available. Lesson learned.
Other than that, town worked really well together. Squidy/Palmer/Ezekel/Darryl/YNNNY owned the conversation, with the rest interjecting bits of logic here and there. I do believe that they do owe their success to a bit of luck, as well - YNNNY and squidy's role claim - but overall they did great!

One last thing: I swear to god, you people will believe ANYTHING. After Ezekel's ridiculous role claim I didn't think it could get worse, but then you believe squidy's 3-SHOT LIGHTNING ROD role? Jesus Christ. And THEN KGB thought there was a THIRD DOCTOR. Had QB claimed Un-lynchable, Un-nightkillable, Unlimited Overrider, I think you all would have just left him alone the entire game and lost. Please, for the next game you play, consider the option that something may sound ridiculous, and don't take it at face value.

Anyway, I'd like some feedback for myself and for future Mafia games:
1. What did you think about the mission mechanic? Did it work well? What would you change?
2. How about balance? Did the roles have appropriate counter-roles? Too many power roles?
3. How was the fluff/flavor?
4. How was the "cosplay"-themed game (i.e. named characters rather than things like "The Doctor")?
5. Any other feedback?

All in all, great game, guys. I was really happy to moderate, and while I don't think it was perfect, I learned a lot and would be happy to host again in the future if it ever happens.

EDIT:
KGB Chat
Mission Night 1
Mission Night 2
Mission Night 3
Mission Night 4
Mission Night 5
Mission Night 6

Palmer is 3 for 3 in GAFia and has still never died lol

i wanna put him with LoC in the next game, like in the same team, and i wanna see who's mojo is stronger

XD

PM me dead thread pls, based ouro! <3333

squidy! I HAVE BEEN DYING TO ASK YOU A QUESTION. hold on pls dont go away. i need to dig up the post first

squidyj

Moments after the KGB were eliminated archer fired off his handguns into the roof in celebration and poor taste. Unfortunately on the floor above him, was Brett Bunsen, dead man.

Hobohodo

1. What did you think about the mission mechanic? Did it work well? What would you change?

As you said, was surprised that we never had to contend with someone who actually could target into the other area. Other than that it worked well as the games gimmick.

2. How about balance? Did the roles have appropriate counter-roles? Too many power roles?

Seemed fine to me but then we won so probably not as objective.

3. How was the fluff/flavour

It got me watching Archer and for the most part seemed faithful to the show, so yeah great work on this part.

4. How was the "cosplay"-themed game (i.e. named characters rather than things like "The Doctor")?

Maybe put people who didn't know Archer at a slight disadvantage? Giving 4 fake roles to Mafia was an interesting choice but a bit conflicted on wether you should have or not. But I feel that for the fluff to work as well as it did we needed to be the characters.

5. Any other feedback?

I really should be asleep but needed to see the outcome of the turbo. Also poor Haly.

you did this thingy, D2, and i could fucking swear that you had some inves power cuz basically, with your CYRIL FIGGIS avatar, i was getting this strong hints that you KNEW what i really am:
[ f ] YesNOnoNOYes
she’s
[m] squidyj
that’s me!

Yesnononoyes (fuck your capitalization)
Myself (of course)

firstly, you truncated your read of me and of your own self and then you put brackets only against me and against your own so i was like.... what is this.... what is he saying??? is there a secret message here

and then i was eyeballing your avatar.... (cyril) and i was like.... OH HE IS OUR COP

but now i am full with ??????????

this was the moment that i trusted you 108% btw. cuz i was SUPER SURE that you were Agency's Cop.

lol??????

squidyj

you did this thingy, D2, and i could fucking swear that you had some inves power cuz basically, with your CYRIL FIGGIS avatar, i was getting this strong hints that you KNEW what i really am:

firstly, you truncated your read of me and of your own self and then you put brackets only against me and against your own so i was like.... what is this.... what is he saying??? is there a secret message here

and then i was eyeballing your avatar.... (cyril) and i was like.... OH HE IS OUR COP

but now i am full with ??????????

this was the moment that i trusted you 108% btw. cuz i was SUPER SURE that you were Agency's Cop.

lol??????

I'm so sorry, I never meant to lead you on :(

Congratulations, ISIS! I was clearly the most useless player, sorry Ezekel and Darryl.

Not sorry that my hot out the gates suspicions were targeted at Haly.
If you modeled that mechanic after the game resistance, then there should have been some way to sabotage the mission. That way, there would be a definite impetus for the KGB to want to be on the mission.

Otherwise, it's quite obvious that town would want to be on the mission to get checked by cops and be safe from nightkills, and KGB would want to be off the mission so that they can perform nightkills and escape checks, so anyone not wanting to be on a mission is a dead give away. Even if they try to bluff it, it ends up working very bad for them.
Had there been no mission mechanic, it would have been fine. Because there was one, I think it would have been better to stray far from traditional roles and set up an interesting dynamic based on the missions. Your long range kill was a good idea.
It was good! Right on point.
It hindered people's abilities to properly fake roleclaim. It's good that you gave alternate roles to choose from, but even when Haly pulled out his Ron Cadillac stuff, it was obvious it was an attempt to use a minor character and not an actual role. In this respect the KGB were severely undermined.
5. Any other feedback?
The game was awesome and I am glad you were the one running it :)

Enker

Missions were a hotbed of confusion those first few days which was good for KGB as that Haly guy spread FUD on who got to go and how we should vote on it. Good on Squidy for shutting that shit down - this is only evident in retrospect. I agree that having a sniper role would have helped KGB out once we gatekeepered the missions.

KGB felt a bit light in terms of power roles, but perhaps that’s because they didn’t get a chance to show their true form thanks to Yeeny. As mentioned before, the sniper would have been a great add. Poor Gorlak. I have to read KGB chat and see what the thought process was behind that move, it was probably the turning point in the game from the perspective of someone who wasn’t on a single mission.

You write very well, that’s half the fun in this game is a good moderator update bringing us up to the climax of whether the dead person was scum or not. I was contemplating playing Cheryl up a bit after both Kriegers died and nobody could build me a Chokebot 2000 anymore. However, I didn’t see the show so it probably wouldn’t have gone well.

4. How was the “cosplay”-themed game (i.e. named characters rather than things like "The Doctor")?
I felt a bit left out not having watched Archer, would have stopped me as KGB from doing any wild role claims. But, good on you for giving the KGB potential fake monikers.

5. Any other feedback?
Squidy is a god amongst men. And that Ouro guy, he’s a pretty darn good moderator.

Enker

And here we go.

Haly said:
Also I want to kill squidyj Night 1 but after his callout of... 3/4th of our team (jesus-fucking-christ) I’m not sure that’s advisable. We'll risk getting our names out there unless we can play it off. The players to watch out for are Burbeting and Visualante, who are experienced at this game, and squidyj's playstyle is also very dangerous for us (he forces everyone in his sights to be active).

Top Bottom