• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Singularity |OT| - Anyone? No?

Haunted

I'm not sure what separates something like this from Modern Warfare 2 in actual game quality. Everything I've seen and heard so far seems to be comparable. Even slightly favouring Singularity.

Is marketing really everything in the games industry?

K' Dash

Haunted said:
I'm not sure what separates something like this from Modern Warfare 2 in actual game quality. Everything I've seen and heard so far seems to be comparable. Even slightly favouring Singularity.

If you don't mind the spoilers:

right now I just took an entire ship that was sinked and restored to a "new" state using a time manipulation device, as I go I'm told that the effect won't las long and the ship will be go back to it's original rusty and destroyed state in a few minutes, so I have to retrieve an item asap, and I watch the ship deteriorate in real time and it just looks SO AWESOME, everithing starts shaking and making rusty sounds while the ship deteriorates as I close to my objective.

Awesome.

Haunted said:

I'd be stunned if the single player isn't better in Singularity, since MW2 was a massive letdown in that area. Really, it's the multi that drives MW2, it's not surprising that people would congregate to a few key MP shooter titles and MW2 is one of them. It's a quality MP game with a solid rep.

S1kkZ

heringer said:
Those who finished it, can you explain something to me, without spoiling the rest of the game?

I just got to the point where the doctor explains to me what happened to the world. Apparently that guy you saved from the fire at the beginning nuked all the world with the E-99 and became the supreme chancelor or something. But didn't I killed him 50 years ago? I thought that the world as I find right now is exactly what I would be avoiding by killing him. Since there's no subtitles I was a bit confused with this. Also, I couldn't watch the video that explain the whole thing again (shame on you Rave) Is it another person or did he survive the shot?

when you first use the time portal and go back to the 50s you shoot the evil dude and he falls out of the window. but he survives and the future changes slightly (he has a big scar on his head and his right eye is blinded).

heringer

S1kkZ said:
when you first use the time portal and go back to the 50s you shoot the evil dude and he falls out of the window. but he survives and the future changes slightly (he has a big scar on his head and his right eye is blinded).
Got it. Thanks! :D

There's some weird oversights in the game despite the level of polish. Like, when you pause, you'd expect to see some collectable stats (granted, you can in the main menu), chat log etc...but there's nothing. Only very sparse one line note about your current task.

I only now, near to the end, realized that I had bought TMD (time manipulation device) perks and I thought they were automatically in use, but it turns out they werent. You have to activate them in the Upgrade machine...I didnt pay attention to the small button icons on the bottom that said activate. Also, your power ups and TMD perks are explained when you get them and that's it...you cannot read anything more about them anywhere. Maybe in the manual, but promo copies dont ship with them. So the game has strange oversights like these.

S1kkZ

RiotPelaaja said:
There's some weird oversights in the game despite the level of polish. Like, when you pause, you'd expect to see some collectable stats (granted, you can in the main menu), chat log etc...but there's nothing. Only very sparse one line note about your current task.

I only now, near to the end, realized that I had bought TMD (time manipulation device) perks and I thought they were automatically in use, but it turns out they werent. You have to activate them in the Upgrade machine...I didnt pay attention to the small button icons on the bottom that said activate. Also, your power ups and TMD perks are explained when you get them and that's it...you cannot read anything more about them anywhere. Maybe in the manual, but promo copies dont ship with them. So the game has strange oversights like these.
i agree with this. i think they put most of this stuff in at the very end (i believe the game was very different a few months ago) and didnt have the time to polish this.
like i said before: with a bit more polish (maybe 6 months?) it could be one of the best games of the year.

This game is already out!? I thought it didnt have a release date.

Activision seems to almost want it to tank. I had barely any awareness on it :/ totally slipped under my radar.

highluxury said:
This game is already out!? I thought it didnt have a release date.

Activision seems to almost want it to tank. I had barely any awareness on it :/ totally slipped under my radar.

Activision has had three solid titles back to back in Blur, Transformers, and now Singularity. And they all look like they're gonna bomb. sigh..

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Activision has had three solid titles back to back in Blur, Transformers, and now Singularity. And they all look like they're gonna bomb. sigh..

Blur online is actually incredibly addictive and well designed. Sadly, some games just are there to make up the numbers for a publisher, but sucks to see such great work hardly promoted at all. It's worth checking out Raven's own site, which has some great stuff on the game.

Sorry for so many posts today, I'm just so excited about this game, which is a big deal since I've been playing games for over 25 years.

Anyway...the Borat note was funny, but there's more...

Lost_wheel.jpg

lost_trophy.jpg

John

Sorry for so many posts today, I'm just so excited about this game, which is a big deal since I've been playing games for over 25 years.

Lost_wheel.jpg

lost_trophy.jpg

Lost_wheel.jpg

lost_trophy.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ok now you guys are just yanking the chain right ?

no one man can have this many alt accounts -_-

DSc

RiotPelaaja said:
That is hilarious, awesome. I hope I didn't miss that note though, looks like it's from the beginning???

It's near the end, just before you get on the platform that transports you alongside a bridge full of big ass monsters.

K' Dash

just finished, what a ride, I'm glad I didn't miss it.

Congratulations to Raven for this GREAT game.

One question:

What did katryn write on the book in the scene after the credits?

I tried to read it all but I want to do it carefully :( can someone playing the PC version screencap it?

K' Dash

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Yeah, I read up on it a bit.

I'm actually interested. Looks pretty intriguing although I hate the thought of giving Activision another cent from my wallet.

Don't think of activision, think of Raven.

Truant

I get the feeling that this game went under A LOT of different changes, recently too. The early footage had cooler guns, and more of a Half Life 1 feel, while the final game is Call of Bioshock

I didn't even know this game existed until this thread was posted...

Without spoilers, how's the storyline? Does it have a good conclusion or is it some sort of BS cliffhanger (which would suck as Activision has sent this out to die, essentially, I don't see a sequel happening). Is the game's story like Fringe or something?

bounchfx

Truant said:
I get the feeling that this game went under A LOT of different changes, recently too. The early footage had cooler guns, and more of a Half Life 1 feel, while the final game is Call of Bioshock

it was due out last october or something.. got delayed a year for rework. It's a real shame it didn't have any advertising. from what I can tell it's a really fun game.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The "Lost Wheel" trophy was so fitting and funny. I lol'ed hard at the description :lol

Very nice shooter overall. Had a lot of fun with the various weapons/abilities and there is a great mix of terror and chaotic shooting moments (played on Hard). I liked it more than BioShock for sure. Excellent pacing. Couldn't put the controller down.

MP looks interesting but I need more practice with the various modes/classes. Very bare bones structure tho. Clearly not the main focus (despite the awfully huge amount of online related trophies).

edit - graphics (on PS3) are mostly ok as well as performance. Despite some suspiciously low-res textures here and there, it's a good non-Epic effort with the UE2. Aliasing is there, but hardly noticeable due to the dark-ish setting. Frame rate drops sometimes, so it's not as smooth as I'd like, but not game breaker either. It ain't Killzone 2 for sure but the atmosphere keeps you into it.

Oh, for PS3 users wondering. Main buttons are R1/L1.

RS4-

K' Dash said:
Does anyone know how to deal with the little spiders? they were fucking killing me in seconds when I was in the
sewers
and I know they'll show up later and I don't want to split the disc in two.

Use uhh, time advance? skill or whatever it is lol. The same button that's used for revert.

Despite being another shooter, I'm actually pretty interested in this one. Way too many other games to play right now, but in a few months I'll give this a shot for sure.

heringer

Just finished. Game feels like Bioshock meets Resistance 2, but not quite as good as any of those.

Story and atmosphere are interesting and the gunplay is decent enough, but they really needed more time to flesh out the TMD mechanics. I mean, the concept is cool but very limited. It doesn't radically change the straightforward gameplay. Still, time traveling is always awesome and aging enemies until they are dusty corpses never gets old.

It's not the next triple-A shooter, but a solid game regardless. I would give it a B.

Nizz

TTP said:
Oh, for PS3 users wondering. Main buttons are R1/L1.
Ahh, thanks. Was wondering about that. Nice impressions from people here about this game. I haven't seen one ad for this yet on tv though. :(

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
:O!

Just forced myself off the 360. I love this game and I've only gotten to play with the TMD for like 30-50 minutes.

I had no idea this game would be this good, people say it reminds them of bioshock, and I must agree on all parts except that the part where you actually fire guns and kill shit is 10 times more fun in singularity.

Gore! Omg its been ages...

I forgot that fps doesnt equate to military shooter with m14 taking place in randomizikiztan where arabs got nukes...

I'm soo happy

Haunted

K' Dash said:
If you don't mind the spoilers:

right now I just took an entire ship that was sinked and restored to a "new" state using a time manipulation device, as I go I'm told that the effect won't las long and the ship will be go back to it's original rusty and destroyed state in a few minutes, so I have to retrieve an item asap, and I watch the ship deteriorate in real time and it just looks SO AWESOME, everithing starts shaking and making rusty sounds while the ship deteriorates as I close to my objective.

Awesome.
:eek:

Yeah, fuck "No Russian".

I maybe asking this too soon, but does anyone know or heard how long the single player is for this game?

Also, how is the multiplayer? Is it pretty good or does it feel like it's tacked on?

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I maybe asking this too soon, but does anyone know or heard how long the single player is for this game?

Also, how is the multiplayer? Is it pretty good or does it feel like it's tacked on?

other people have mentioned around 7 hrs

so far im enjoying this game more than bioshock 2 (not 1) and my only complaint is the use of too many low-res textures....

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
nolookjones said:
other people have mentioned around 7 hrs

so far im enjoying this game more than bioshock 2 (not 1) and my only complaint is the use of too many low-res textures....

Almost same as me then, I hate when people write like I'm about to do but still xD

In my eyes at the point I'm at Singularity ~ Bio 1 >> Bio 2 >>>>>>>>>> every SP military fps game I've played all these years.

S1kkZ

mescalineeyes said:
what the fuck? :lol
i wouldnt go that far. the storytelling and the characters are much better in bioshock 1. it has more depth. but the gunplay and fighting feels much better in singularity.
both are great games.

Top Bottom