• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story coming to Switch [June, $30, new local MP mode, new bonus stages]

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I mean it a retail release and they wanna make money - it cant be sold for 10 bucks and for 20 bucks it probably wouldnt be worth the effort for them I mean the game can be played on every other system, so its clearly a release for the more dedicated fans.

For EU players - Switch is region free.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I mean it a retail release and they wanna make money - it cant be sold for 10 bucks and for 20 bucks it probably wouldnt be worth the effort for them I mean the game can be played on every other system, so its clearly a release for the more dedicated fans.

For EU players - Switch is region free.

But why is it a retail release? I'm actually not understanding this decisions at all.

antibolo

Banned
Probably so, and the digital/physical parity needs to end. People who want the physical release will be willing to pay more. This should be $20/$30, digital/physical.

Yeah it's rubbish.

I'm also not convinced of the widely accepted theory that they're doing it to please the retailers. It's not as if GameStop et al have any choice but to accept what the platform holders give them, and to start boycotting any of the big three would be suicide, they're already having enough financial trouble as it is that they're now covering their stores in crappy gaming merch and funko pops.

No, this is just something they do because they can.

But why is it a retail release? I'm actually not understanding this decisions at all.

The novelty of collecting these little game cards in these cute little boxes. It's kind of wonderful. I want hundreds of physical Switch games and I'll gladly pay a premium for them.

LordKano

You can play Cave Story + everywhere, on almost every device. I wouldn't buy it if it wasn't for the physical release. It's like the only point of this version, unless it adds anything special.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Because retail releases are awesome?

Even if they are it feels just not financially sound to bump up the price by $15 across the board so to not lose on a retail release.

IT's just dumb, I understand bigger releases that use a lot of data so you want to use a cart for it so it doens't take up the limited memory but this is cave story for fucks sake.

Ridley327

To be fair, it's not a direct port. it's getting a graphical upgrade to the entire game.

Oh, so they are doing another reworking of the graphics in enhanced mode? Still, I don't really see that being worth double the price when the existing enhanced graphics are decent enough for those who can't stand the original pixel art.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Probably because the Switch market is at a point where a retail release of Cave Story could somehow get the attention that it couldnt on more established platforms... also its a Classic at this point and people always ask for retail versions.

Doesnt mean that they wont have the game on the eShop as well.

30 bucks as a base price for a new retail game is pretty solid tbh - i never buy games at launch anyway...so i will probably pick this for less than 20 a couple months after release.

antibolo

Banned
You can play Cave Story + everywhere, on almost every device. I wouldn't buy it if it wasn't for the physical release. It's like the only point of this version, unless it adds anything special.

Uh no, I'll be buying this because I want to play Cave Story + on the go. Couldn't care less about a physical release, or the fact that it's on many existing non-portable platforms.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Probably because the Switch market is at a point where a retail release of Cave Story could somehow get the attention that it couldnt on more established platforms... also its a Classic at this point and people always ask for retail versions.

30 bucks as a base price for a new retail game is pretty solid tbh - i never buy games at launch anyway...so i will probably pick this for less than 20 a couple months after release.

I wonder if BoI's potential first weeks results played a role in bringing Cave Story to retail as well.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

20 is still more than the non-sale price on steam.

To be fair, it's not a direct port. it's getting a graphical upgrade to the entire game.

You mean the graphical upgrade they made for either the Wii or Steam versions of the game and have been shoving out ever since? Or are they actually putting in some new work, because I doubt nicalis at every chance.

It'll be $24 after GCU/Amazon Prime discount, I'm fine paying a less than $10 tax for this. But that's just me.

Well, I checked, it's $10 on the 3DS eshop, so it's still more than a "$10 tax" for it.

Kureransu

Oh, so they are doing another reworking of the graphics in enhanced mode? Still, I don't really see that being worth double the price when the existing enhanced graphics are decent enough for those who can't stand the original pixel art.

yeah i made a post about that a little bit further up in the thread.

Peltz

Uh no, I'll be buying this because I want to play Cave Story + on the go. Couldn't care less about a physical release, or the fact that it's on many existing non-portable platforms.

It's on 3DS for much cheaper though. I understand you may not have a 3DS, but if you do, you'd be better served by grabbing it there I think.

Berordn

$30 is steeeeeep for Cave Story.

I already dropped that for 3D on 3DS and this has even fewer changes than last gen's release even. It's tempting but...

CHC

It's on 3DS for much cheaper though. I understand you may not have a 3DS, but if you do, you'd be better served by grabbing it there I think.

The stereoscopic effect with pixel art / 2d graphics is also really, really cool. Probably better for these kinds of games than ones on actual 3d plane.

Opa-Pa

Holy shit, finally! I don't even own a Switch yet, but I'll probably get this day 1. I'm a huge fan of this game and I own basically every release.

Also wide screen AND the updated graphics? I guess that makes this the definitive version, unless Nicalis drops the ball somewhere.

I really hope the digital version is $20 at worst, though. Not even I would drop $30 for it.

Didn't the 3DS one become kind of rare?

Yeah, but that was a 3DS-exclusive remake published by NISA.

antibolo

Banned

Now that the Switch is out I couldn't care less about my 3DS anymore. I'll go back to it once in a while to play any games I haven't finished, but I don't intend on ever buying any more games for it.

Arkeband

Banned
Pretty sure I got this for a dollar in a Humble Bundle, but not surprised that Nintendo's gouging their core demographic of plastic enthusiasts for a physical copy.

Bargain in a vacuum maybe. Not when you can pay $15 for the same game on pc.
Yeah, I'm happy to support great things I like at prices I consider fair. I've gotten FAR more than $15 worth of enjoyment out of the game since it came out and I believe Pixel deserves to be well compensated for his work. The game was free for so long too; that's how I first played it. I have spent hundreds on it and will happily continue to do so.

I realize I am not a typical consumer, and I am happy about that.

Kyonashi

Well, finally time for me to buy a physical copy of Cave Story. Played the free original back in like 2010 and adored it, got the updated versions in humble bundles and whatnot but I really want it on the Switch for a replay as I haven't played it in 7(!) years and that box is gorgeous.

The novelty of collecting these little game cards in these cute little boxes. It's kind of wonderful. I want hundreds of physical Switch games and I'll gladly pay a premium for them.
This. For whatever reason, I had no problem going digital only on 3DS, but the Switch's boxes are too nice to pass up on.

This Cave Story box is so nice looking and it'll probably have a nice manual and stickers.
I'll also probably be able to sell these limited releases for several times their value in a few years too.

Top Bottom