• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 minutes of Monster Hunter World footage

In terms for detail, animation, AI and QoL changed, it's the biggest step for the MH series. Looking forward to see what Pro and X updates we get and also what some of the more weird and wonderful monsters look like.

Nah, your wording is fine, this looks like a next-gen Monster Hunter through and through.

Well I said that "might be wrong word" because PS4 and XB1 already 4 years old. I think "full fledge" is right word. Everything looks so fantastic! I was waitting for a full fledge MH game since 6-7 years! Also after seen this, glad they skipped 7th gen consoles.

Rodin

Looks great, i really hope they won't do some crap like capping the frame rate at 30fps on PC. Need to play this at those sweet 60fps.

Defuser

I can't tell in the stream whether the meter in HBG that allows you to go rambo builds up over time or you build up yourself by pumping bullets into the monster.

The problem is Capcom's ridiculous sale targets tbh.

It wouldn't be so bad if Tri or 3U had been really successful, but they were considered sales disappointments both domestically and abroad.

MH on PS4, XBOne and PC is basically a new IP for players who have been playing ARPGs like Skyrim, Fallout, Dark Souls and Nioh for the past 4-5 years. As it is, World still has lots of features that are more suited to a portable, "play it twice a day for an hour each during your commute," game than the "play for a straight 4-7 hour chunk after work or on weekends" console experiences Westerners expect.

I'm thinking it'll hit 2 million overall if it still has lots of meter management and grinding for <10% drops by release.

Pejo

Hell yes. That's looking fantastic. Animations are still weighty, that's the last piece I needed to see. I could not be any more excited for this title. Finally time to get my PS4-only bros into this game. It's going to be glorious.

13ruce

Banned
Honestly after tri and 4 ultimate i got bored of MH so the 1 whole area + hookshot really are nice and destroying thingsto fend of Monsters and even ride a flying rathalos.

Amazing.

But honestly i played tri for like 400 hours and 4 300. So that could also be why i was bored.

Kazuhira

This will be my 2nd MH game,i already have 2-3 friends interested so this is gonna be fun.
I hope this runs great but capcom is pretty good with pc ports so i'm not that worried.
Also,any ideas what engine is this?

Rhanitan

Seeing a greatsword get a clean slash on a big fat tail always gets me pumped to play monster hunter and this is no different. This was much better than that shitty e3 trailer.

A little disappointed in the lack of colours though. That Rathalos barely looks red and the lack of colour in the monster will prolly be reflected in the armours too. : (

TreIII

Full hype will have to wait until I see how my Insect Glaive is handled.

But consider me on board, now, I guess!

Seeing a greatsword get a clean slash on a big fat tail always gets me pumped to play monster hunter and this is no different. This was much better than that shitty e3 trailer.

A little disappointed in the lack of colours though. That Rathalos barely looks red and the lack of colour in the monster will prolly be reflected in the armours too. : (

You're in my head. If there's one thing loved about third and especially 4th gen MonHun, it was the vibrant colors.

Raide

Just want to say welcome to all the new MH fans that are loving the look of MH World. Cannot wait to party with some Fresh MHGaf people.

Kyuur

seems like you only played from 3 to 4 really so there is more moot then x

pretty bold to claim what looks like monster hunter then but

¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Sorry I forgot that I'm not entitled to an opinion of what the series should be and what I expect from a sequel because I've haven't played every game -shrug-

If you were a true Scotsman and had been playing since the PS2, you might be a bit sick of the same formula like the rest of us. No more 5 second chugging and foraging means the game can focus on new and interesting stuff in battle. Palicoes and healing hammer horns have changed the meta on healing pauses for years anyway.

Yep, I can understand that. There are people on this board who have probably put thousands of hours into these games and want something new. I would prefer a HD sequel with new content with the same core feel I've loved.

I've never felt that healing horns or palicoes really made a ton of difference, but then again I would never use the term 'meta' in MH. I'm not that hardcore about it.

Even if I believe you and take this at face value.

The following

means you're either blind or being negative for the sake of negativity.

I was up on this game during the initial reveal when everyone was complaining. I didn't think they'd change some core aspects and that stealth/butterflies/environmental/whatever would just be additional on top, but I was wrong. So no, I'm not being negative for the sake of being negative, I'm just calling what I see.

If I'm blind then point what I'm wrong about to me instead of challenging my "MH cred" and gawking about how someone could dislike what they've seen.

R0ckman

Cool looks like you can roll backwards. That was greatly needed considering the mess of a camera when you are fighting large monsters at close range.

I can't tell in the stream whether the meter in HBG that allows you to go rambo builds up over time or you build up yourself by pumping bullets into the monster.

I zoomed in on the HBG screen and rewatched.

How the machinegun mode works:

There's a UI element of 10 blue bullets above your normal ammo selection. You have to load to use them. Once you load them, You get about 1 second of full auto for each bullet present.

Once the hunter fully used all 10, the bullets became a blue gauge that slowly filled back up. It's on a 3 minute cooldown from the footage.

No clue if it'll fill up if you also don't use all the bullets at once.

Murkas

If you're new to MH and wondering which is the 'best' weapon or unsure which weapon type to use, here is a simple flowchart:

Is it a Longsword?>No>You're good!
Is it a Londsword?>Yes>Change your weapon.

If you're new to MH and wondering which is the 'best' weapon or unsure which weapon type to use, here is a simple flowchart:

Is it a Longsword?>No>You're good!
Is it a Londsword?>Yes>Change your weapon.
Lmao if there's one thing that's been fun this past week is seeing the fans argue which weapon is better but in a fun way not serious or anything. Gonna be a fun community it seems

I can't say I'm a fan of most notably the fireflies, stealth, and the amount of "natural" traps there are in the world. I also hate all of the monster designs that I've seen so far.

But I will say I'm glad it's not the westernized (Lost Planet 3/DR4 tier) game that I had initially feared and will probably check it out when it comes out on PC or preferably whenever a portable version is released.

I also kinda dig the grappling hook. It was one of my favorite things in Lost Planet.

Mupod

Lmao if there's one thing that's been fun this past week is seeing the fans argue which weapon is better but in a fun way not serious or anything.

6wFoYAe.gif

crinale

If you are really "new" start with a great sword. It will teach you that:

- The difference between sheathed and unsheathed state, and importance of switching between two.
- You can either dodge or block enemy's attacks. Plus, some attacks just simply can't be blocked.

Once you get the hang of it, go to any weapon you want. Keep in mind that not all weapons have blocking ability.

spiritfox

- The difference between sheathed and unsheathed state, and importance of switching between two.
- You can either dodge or block enemy's attacks. Plus, some attacks just simply can't be blocked.

Once you get the hang of it, go to any weapon you want. Keep in mind that not all weapons have blocking ability.

Nah just go Switch Axe and murder everything.

It is my understanding that the bow
A)does more damage the closer you are
B)gives you less defensive capabilities..right?

A) There's a "critical range" where it does optimum damage. Screen shakes when you connect with an arrow from the sweet spot.

B) Gunner/Bow armor has less defense than blademaster (melee) armor, yeah.

BigEmil

finally an English Monster Hunter on PC

maybe my friends and I will play this

i'm not too familiar, but i think this spin off is for more Western audiences, and an OG MH5 is probably in the works for Switch

This is MH5 it's just renamed to World.

Naming is much more inviting to newcomers than people seeing 'MH5' people will think you need to also play 1 - 4 &#128512;

There's a sweet spot (critical distance) for bows that is typically pretty close but not right next to the monster.

You also have to wear the gunner version of whatever armor you have, which inherently has much less defense. Not sure if they're keeping that in MHW, but it balanced the damage you took because you weren't always at the monster's feet.

As for the above link, watch the MH4U tutorial instead. MHG has too many mechanics that won't make it into this game.

crinale

Every ranged weapons has various ideal distance, and if you are either too close or too far then damage will be like halved.
As for armor, there are Swordmaster (i.e. Melee) armor and Gunner (Ranger) armor and if you yield a bow you must wear the later. And yes gunslinger armor has only half defense of that of Swordmaster's.

Top Bottom