• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America says Metroid Prime 4 and "new Pokemon game" are 2018 titles

Nesther

2018 is going to be absolutely nuts if this is true, as we're likely to also see Pikmin 4, Animal Crossing mobile + Switch and Smash. Brutal lineup.

JoeM86

I'm a huge fan of your site. It was my source of Pokemon news since 2015 but haven't you been wrong before? I hope because a new core Pokemon game in 2018 would be nice

Everyone has been wrong before, it's called being human :p

However, there's way too much against this. Look at the progression of the anime. Ash is only just about to go to Akala Island, only having done 1 trial and 1 Grand Trial. It's shaping up that the anime arc is 3 years and they would have planned it according to Game Freak's timeline.

NateDrake

Pokemon is the only title I thought would be 2019. MP4 seems like it'll be the Holiday 2018 release. Always figured the E3 video 2018 lineup was going to be a 'games we'll release within the next 18months' type of thing.

Everyone thought Xenoblade wasn't gonna make it this year, so Im not gonna just throw the idea that either won't come out next year. Prime 4 is a Holiday 2018 to Spring 2019 for sure in my opinion.

I wouldn't be shocked if the pokemon game was a cross platform thing, maybe remakes for 3DS and Switch as a bit of test for the hardware before they go into a new gen in another year or more. I know they said "core" but that I feel like won't come unless it's another alola game.

Although I really wanna see what they've got for next year. Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Kirby, Metroid, and maybe Pokemon? I mean it sounds neat but I feel like none of them have the power Zelda or Mario has, other than Pokemon. That's all considering this year had Zelda, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, Mario Kart 8, Pokken DX, and I think that's it unless I missed something. (first part I mean, I know there's Mario + Rabbids, 2K, Fifa, Skyrim, and more coming. But I don't know what could be coming next year 3rd party either.)

So what I'm trying to say is, if those two don't come out next year it feels like it's gonna be pretty empty until they actually give us some announcements.

JB2448

To me, "2018 will be about" seems more like it's about messaging than the games coming out. Like, expect them at E3 or at some Direct later in the year, but not necessarily to release then. The wording seemed fairly ambiguous and non-commital.

JoeM86

To the doubters who think that these games wont hit 2018.
We knew nothing of Mario Odessey until the Switch announcement trailer last October and even then it was a 5 second clip. And nothing offical until the January event.
Those games are probably well into development and hopefully we get a Direct early 2018 for both Metroid and Pokemon.

My doubt about Pokémon has nothing to do with how it was revealed. It is more to do with knowing how Game Freak and The Pokémon Company work and plot things out.

Just because they only showed a logo doesn't mean the game isn't far into development.

If it is a 2018 title, they Probably had their reasons for no footage.

Flare

Of course they are. Only, they'll be getting delayed into late 2019.

I'll eat all the sandwiches if they come out in 2018.

okp66FD.gif

There is no way Metroid is coming out next year, if that was true, we would have seen some trailer, or CG trailer, or whatever at this past E3. no way
We got this first look at Mario 8 months ago... And ARMS, Splatoon 2 less. I think this is the new way of Nintendo.

To the doubters who think that these games wont hit 2018.
We knew nothing of Mario Odessey until the Switch announcement trailer last October and even then it was a 5 second clip. And nothing offical until the January event.
Those games are probably well into development and hopefully we get a Direct early 2018 for both Metroid and Pokemon.

For Pokemon, it's more that the gap between generations would be the shortest in a long time. That's especially strange since they'll be moving to HD development.

And yes, I do think there first game on a new system will be a new generation and not a remake.

Pinky

Banned
I don't expect MP4 in 2018, but anything is possible. Didn't Tanabe talk about wanting to make MP4 back in 2015 for Wii U, but said the project would likely be moved to Switch because development would take around 3 years or so? That would put it in the 2018 window. I personally expect a mid-2019 release, but we have no idea what stage of development MP4 is in right now.

akileese

However, there's way too much against this. Look at the progression of the anime. Ash is only just about to go to Akala Island, only having done 1 trial and 1 Grand Trial. It's shaping up that the anime arc is 3 years and they would have planned it according to Game Freak's timeline.

Do we know that it's a brand new generation? What if it's just a combo of Moon/Sun?

Hahahahaha

That's not happening with Pokémon.

I think it's very possible.

If the first team got done with Sun/Moon late last year and the 2nd team is doing the Ultras that means the 1st team had some of last year, all this year, and maybe the majority of next year to get it done.

I was just about to say this either it's simply another variation of sun and moon or this game isn't coming out next year as a new generation not when the anime at best will be halfway done

RedBoot

Because Pokémon is about connectivity and losing local connectivity with other games and segmenting the userbase is hands down the dumbest thing they could do.

They're not going to shift hardware until it's a generation built up for that hardware.

Well, they already screwed with that a bit with X&Y and ORAS not being 100% compatible.

A Switch game wouldn't be able to battle the 3DS games, but they could probably use Pokemon Bank to switch Pokemon between them.

TrutaS

That would be an amazing holiday 2018 if true. Not sure it will happen for Metroid, but Pokemon makes all sense, and Winter 2018 is, after all, more than a year from the anouncement this E3.

Neoxon

Calling bullshit on both. They didn't even have a title screen reveal for Pokémon.
To be fair, they can't really step on the toes of Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon.

Either way, I can somewhat see Pokémon Gen 8 making 2018 (as unlikely as that is), but not MP4.

maxcriden

Nintendo's not going to release any game in 2018 after Q1 2018 by that logic. They haven't shown footage of games releasing after that at all.

I agree with you, but I would say H1 rather than Q1. I didn't get the sense Kirby and Yoshi are both coming Q1 (but would be very glad to be wrong).

Pokemon was already confirmed for 2018 on the Japanese twitter, wasn't it? It makes a level of sense, especially if they take advantage of the scalability of the SM engine.

I will believe Metroid Prime 4 is coming in 2018 when I see a concrete release date and not a moment sooner. It seems impossible, but then again Xenoblade 2 is still seemingly coming this year so who knows?

Zedark

Because Pokémon is about connectivity and losing local connectivity with other games and segmenting the userbase is hands down the dumbest thing they could do.

They're not going to shift hardware until it's a generation built up for that hardware.

But you don't have to. We've seen with Monster Hunter XX that Switch and 3DS can communicate and play together, so pokémon could theoretically implement that and be rid of the connectivity problem.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Pokémon have slipped before and as this is the first HD Pokémon game on a home console, it could potentially slip into 2019.

My guess is that in 2018 we will get the Sinnoh remake for the 3DS and gen 8 on the Switch in 2019.

I took that to mean like not Pokemon Dash or something. A remake would still "fit" I think.

Game Freak are not going to debut the first HD main series Pokémon game on a home console with a remake.

It will be a new generation.

The backlash would kill all hype for the game immediately.

Shame, Next Levels games are good developers and deserve the credit, assuming if they are working on Prime 4.

Metroid, Fire Emblem and Pokemon all announced with 3DS games coming this year and Switch games coming 2018. We have no details on any of those Switch games. It's almost like there's a marketing pattern here and people screaming it won't come in 2018 should probably just wait and see. If you believe Metroid Prime 4 won't hit 2018, do you believe Fire Emblem will? We haven't seen either of those games.

I'm confident Prime 4 is 2018.

JoeM86

Pokémon games don't require huge budgets or years of development.

The switch game is going to be heavily based around the last 3ds games most likely.

You realise each main series title at the start of the generation typically has a 3 year development cycle, right?

Do we know that it's a brand new generation? What if it's just a combo of Moon/Sun?

They wouldn't jump device mid-generation.

Top Bottom