• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that were ahead of their time.

The first example I can think of is Jurassic Park Trespasser. Objectivily, it's an awful games but several of the ideas it had like no HUD and physics based puzzles were really quite advanced though. It's too bad the technology then wasn't advanced enough for the game to be any good.

Fury451

Banned
System Shock 2

Body Harvest- A game pre-GTA from the same studio, with something of freeform gameplay with numerous vehicles and aliens.

Hydrus

Pokémon RGB- using the link cable to battle and trade on a Gameboy in mid 90's.
Pokémon gold and silver- uses a watch battery to keep time and allows for a nightday system.
Pokemon crystal- Even though it was Japan only, crystal version had a attachment that let you connect your phone and battle trade over mobile. That's nuts!
Mobile_Adapter_GB.jpg

God damn gamefreak uses to be freaking beasts! Also Gameboy camera was pretty cool for its time. Oh yea, and there was the whole Zelda BS thing that used the Satellaview to download dlc. Now thats waaaaaay ahead of time!

Betty

Banned
Metal Gear Solid 1 - first time a game drew me in with it's story. Voice acting, cinematics & gameplay felt revolutionary.

Halo 3 - 4 player co-op, recording matches, stunning stuff

I've been meaning to say this for a pretty long time now... I've always loved and treasured Star Fox Adventures dearly, it is equally loved with Star Fox 64 for me. Now the thing about Star Fox Adventures is that the elements in the game were always right to begin with. With the whole Krazoa Shrine concept. I mean, just look at Breath of the Wild having shrines too. People say that Star Fox Adventures is a "Zelda" clone, which to me isn't true at all... but what does that make Breath of the Wild? And while I'm saying this, don't get me wrong, I'm loving everything about Breath of the Wild, not trying to put it down or anything... just trying to draw a point here.

Phediuk

Elite
Mercenary
Driller
Tau Ceti
Wibarm
Star Cruiser
Alpha Waves
I Robot

All 80s pioneers in freeform 3D gameplay.

Brodnax

Savage: The Battle for Newerth. Seamless RTSFPSTPS gameplay, Well balanced, 128 people playing on the same server. All of that in 2003, and still the game hasn't been topped, XR version and the remake are free but nobody plays them, guess people love their crates/hats/whatever from other games instead of great gameplay and actual team based coordination.

Cepheus

Darkstalkers. Pioneered lots of elements that fighting games take for granted today, like dashing, EX moves, and an in-depth combo system. The animations were incredibly fluid too. All this, and there hasn't been a new game this side of 2000.

Shadow of the colossus, while decent with a somewhat passable frame rate for the time....it was still an incredible feat for gaming, naritave, and presentation. So so happy it's getting a remake! Well done Sony, well done.

Madao

F-Zero X

this game has so many ideas behind it that it'd rival modern games in some ways. at one point they were planning to have online leaderboards with the ability to upload and download ghost data for time trials like how it's done in Mario Kart nowadays. this never panned because the N64's online plans ended up being crap due to the 64DD's failure.

they also had planned track sharing with the track editor. in the final version it's only done locally between 2 disks but it was supposed to have an online option too. imagine Mario Maker-style F-Zero courses back in 1999/2000.

even things that ended in the final version with the Expansion Kit were ahead of their time. the track editor does for F-Zero what Mario Maker did for 2D Mario but even better.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
How many times? :)
Robocop 3 in 1991 on the 16 bit amiga in less than 2.5mb was:

-true mouse + keyboard 3d fps/tps(with the possibility to kill civilians)
PQ37PkB.png
robocop3a.png
2754_6_robocop_3.jpg

-3d fighting game, either first person and third person:
robocop3d.png
78242.png
pc6.GIF

-3d Flying
78241.png

-Open world driving, you can see the gps(in 1991!) with part of the city map in the low left corner of the second screen.
24800.png
78239.png
pc9.GIF
72_screen_17.gif
robocop_3_11.png

-in-engine 3d cutscenes
robocop-3d-pc.jpg
robocop_3_06%5B1%5D.png
2005929-robocop_cutscene.png

Imo robocop 3 is without doubts the most advanced game of all time, other than a truly awesome game, too bad very few people know it.

Also today i saw some Alone in the dark inferno trailers and i would say that in many aspects it was(and maybe it still is) ahead of its time(and a very underrated game :( )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvlqv-aq_tY

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Legacy of Kain. Dark, incredibly violent story and atmosphere, but with mature storytelling, no stupid edginess bullshit. And fantastic voice acting.

This was in 1996.

Fury451

Banned
How many times? :)

Also today i saw some Alone in the dark inferno trailers and i would say that in many aspects it was(and maybe it still is) ahead of its time(and a very underrated game :( )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvlqv-aq_tY

The last gen Alone in the Dark wasn't so much ahead of its time as it was ambitious beyond the scope of its development team and budget.

It was combining a lot of elements together that were pretty interesting, but most of them had been tried before in some form or another.

Top Bottom