• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that were ahead of their time.

Shadow of the collossus

Which is why the remake makes soooo much sense.

Also kingdom hearts 1 and 2

After playing the 2.8 aqua story i want kingdom hearts 1 and 2 to be remade using tbe same assets

Lijik

Alpha Waves

It was doing 3d platforming in 1990 (albiet in a simplistic way- each room was a box with floating platforms and you were always jumping) but also its whole theming of being inside a mind with the soundtrack corresponding to binaural beats to ellicit specific emotions to correspond where you were in the games "brain" and pastel palletes feel very evocative of something youd see a modern indie title on itch.io explore.

beastlove

Kill Switch 2003 - first 3rd person shooter with a cover system.
Breakdown 2004 - introduced melee combat into FPS
Zarch 1988 - The game was groundbreaking for the time, featuring a three-dimensional mouse-controlled craft (the "lander") flying over a tile-rendered landscape.

When I hear "ahead of its time" I like to think that it only qualifies titles that failed to be appreciated in their time because they contained groundbreaking features that were unfortunately limited in execution either thanks to its contemporary technical limitations, plain development hell holding back the polish needed, or a mixture of both.

I kind of like to think of Sim Copter as the first modern 3D open world sandbox game (that isn't an RPG). That game came out in 1996, before even the first top-down GTA was out, and it featured fully fleshed out cities populated with traffic and NPCs which you could explore and interact with, and you could exit your helicopter to traverse on foot. There had been other kinds of more primitive open 3D games before that may have featured a few stray buildings and enemy vehicles and the likes, but nothing that really delivered a "full package" like this.

Hell, it even featured selectable faux radio stations much like you'd expect from any GTA-style game. The game received a rather lukewarm reception on release, mainly due to its high jankiness from being rushed out by Maxis. But at the time, the sheer novelty of the game concept alone was enough for me and others to be really fascinated by it and just enjoy its freeform open ended gameplay. Had to wait for GTA3 in 2001 to experience something of the same type of scope again.

LxF5792.jpg

Great post. Pretty much the best answer in this thread.

I've been meaning to say this for a pretty long time now... I've always loved and treasured Star Fox Adventures dearly, it is equally loved with Star Fox 64 for me. Now the thing about Star Fox Adventures is that the elements in the game were always right to begin with. With the whole Krazoa Shrine concept. I mean, just look at Breath of the Wild having shrines too. People say that Star Fox Adventures is a "Zelda" clone, which to me isn't true at all... but what does that make Breath of the Wild? And while I'm saying this, don't get me wrong, I'm loving everything about Breath of the Wild, not trying to put it down or anything... just trying to draw a point here.

The shrines in BotW are very similar to the puzzles in older games, they're basically just single-room dungeons. There's bigger ones, but the puzzles definitely feel like Zelda puzzles. It's not somehow borrowing from Star Fox more than other Zeldas just because they both happen to use the word "shrine."

Nydius

I'll probably catch some flak for this but my immediate thought was:

Shadowrun, the 2008 remake.

Make no mistake, that game was lackluster and annoyed long time Shadowrun fans but Microsoft made an always online, class-based twitch arena shooter when most shooters - at least not ones named Team Fortress - were moving away from that concept. Everyone trashed it for being online only - no offline mode or campaign, how dare they? - but fast forward to today and we have a bunch of games that use the same online only twitch arena shooter model and are doing well.

It almost makes me wish Microsoft had let the concept cook for a few more years and offered more resources for more maps and modes rather than the paltry few we got at launch. Not that it would have ever overcome the outrage by Shadowrun (Genesis/SNES/Pen & Paper) players.

br3wnor

This was my first thought.

The idea that NPC's had a schedule and the day/night system. Having a "job", entering random buildings around the various zones, just the scope of everything.

Other games had done bits and pieces of this stuff but I felt Shenmue was the first to really put it all together in a way that made you feel like you were living in the world.

Wozman23

Five pages and no Psi-Ops mentions?

The game threw a ton of interesting mechanics at you. Telekinesis, pyrokinesis, remote viewing, mind control... There really has been a game since to even come close to that level of freedom when it comes to psychic powers. The mechanics and level design created a playground for fun and experimentation.

It's a third person shooter from the age before today's standard two stick controls, but little else would need to be done to modernize it.

Thores

Metroid Prime Hunters.

It was a multiplayer focused hero shooter, before the genre even had a name yet. I'm sure Metroid Prime 4 will have a single player campaign, and that'll be welcomed, but it'll be a missed opportunity if there isn't an online multiplayer option where you can play as different bounty hunters, each with their own signature abilities and forms. I've been craving that as a contemporary experience lately.

Stiler

Severance (aka Blade of Darkness) was one of the first games to use real time shadows (before doom 3).

It also had an amazing melee combat system that imo is even better then Dark Souls/Bloodborne, which is the closest game to it these days.

A shame, cause I'd say if they released it today (or a new one) it'd probably do a LOT better these days.

Akoi

Little big adventure 2

That game was like nothing else before it.

The whole game was fully voiced (you could talk with anyone) And that game was huge.

For 1997 the graphics were amazing.(It came out a year and a half before Zelda OOT)

bionic77

I probably put hundreds of hours into it. It was one of my Top 3 NES games easily. My uncle and I used to play it and would make a team and rename all the players after Yankees players at the time and play through a season. It was a great game.

Bruh...
You don't agree on Zelda64?

In the moment I remember being blown away by a dozen things about that game.

Cracklox

My #1 is James Bond: Everything or Nothing. This game came out in 2003 and is a magnificently underrated game.

This was before Resident Evil 4 renewed interest in third person shooters and the genre was considered untenable. At the time, James Bond games were very successful first person shooters. The last third person James Bond game was the terrible and unwieldy Tomorrow Never Dies on the PlayStation that tried to supplement its clumsy gameplay and level designs with FMV clips from the movie. At the time, returning to a highly cinematic third person game was extremely counter-pattern.

But before Resident Evil 4 and long before Uncharted, there was EoN.

The game also pushed the envelope of what we now know of as a cover shooter. This style of TPS didnt become common and popular until Gears of War, but that's exactly how EoN plays. You take your cover, you pick your targets, and you strategically eliminate your opponents.

The game features a lock-on mechanic that was extremely unique. While locked on, you could fine-tune your shot with the second stick to shoot the enemy exactly where you wanted. Want to get that headshot? Want to make them drop their gun? Just pinpoint your shot and hit them right where you want to.

But that's just the gunplay, which is complimented perfectly by an extremely innovative melee system. One button punches with Bond's left hand and one button punches with his right. Pressing them in sequences strings them into combos, and pressing them at the same time initiates a grab. These also work contextually, causing take downs and throws based on where Bond is standing.

At any time, you can also crouch to enter a stealth position. You can hide behind cover, you can sneak up to enemies, and you can silently take out enemies without others noticing.

This dynamic between lethal and stealth is now so common its normally expected. But being able to assess every encounter and situation in EoN and use the right tactics and have both systems be so well implemented was tremendous in 2003.

The game is full of major, Uncharted-like setpieces. But it also has really cool hidden opportunities called "Bond Moments." Levels are all open and sandboxy with numerous paths through the map. Shooting the right explosive barrel at the right time or driving off the right hidden jump will trigger a short and satisfying cinematic that makes you feel awesome.

The game also casts a lot of a actual Bond actors into their roles. They lend their likeness and voice work to great effect. John Cleese is Q, Pierce Brosnan is Bond, Judi Dench is M, Heidi Klum is a lead baddy, Willem Dafoe is the main villain, the game is uncharacteristically star studded for a video game of this era. As we are seeing more and more actors mocapped into their roles in video games and giving a unique performance, this kind of depiction was extremely ambitious for the time period.

There is also an entirely separate and standalone Coop campaign. There are also MGS style VR missions. There are also special challenges and awards in every level.

But there's so much other stuff I just can't believe. Something even fans of the game overlook is the level-streaming. One level features an extremely high-speed motorcycle chase on a highway. And, I mean, it's really fast. I've never felt such an adrenaline pumping sense of speed in a game, let alone for a game this old. The base speed of the motorcycle is pretty fast, but when you hold down the gas and don't fire any weapons for a few seconds, the speed increases even more.

Here's a video of the level, the second speed tier kicks in for the first time just after the minute mark: https://youtu.be/p8wOHUzHFbg

The player isn't great, but it's good enough. All the driving uses the engine for Need for Speed.

And all this time, the game never stutters or hiccups or needs to load. This was crazy for me as a teenager. You just ZOOM and don't stop.

I love this game, but it's very hard to find and play. Every now and then you see a thread where people bring up hidden gems and overlooked games that supposedly don't get the love and recognition they deserve. But EoN is my personal criminally underrated masterpiece. And in a thread full of games ahead of their time, the fact not one person has mentioned EoN demonstrates how forgotten this game is.

And that sucks. Because it's too good to get lost to time.

Thanks for this.

Count me as someone who played it and forgot about it. Ie part of the problem. My memories are hazy, but I remember alot of the stuff you mention, and some pretty sweet driving sequences in, I think his tricked out Aston. I don't think I beat it, but got a good ways in. Looking back now, it was definitely ahead of its time in a lot of ways.

I just don't think I realized it at the time

For me it was Starsiege Tribes. It was 3d multiplayer combat with all sorts of twists. Bases and base defense, vehicles, widely varied mechanics (jet packs, disc launcher gun, sniper laser, buildable turrents and shields) and big maps with seamless indoor outdoor environments with varied geography to play on.

It was crazy, you would have these huge battles across distances with vehicles and players jet packing around, and then you'd also have these brutal close quarter combats situation when attacking a base and trying to get the flag. I'd never experienced anything like that up to that point, and it was a damn impressive piece of technology to boot.

1404187691233.jpg

Cracklox

hqdefault.jpg

I remember being floored by its technical prowess.

Oh this too. It was amazing at the time, but far too short. Some friends around that time would come over way more frequently then usual, just to play that. It was quite the showcase game.

Shooting stuff in a game never felt as good till probably Max Payne 3 for me

Keyvan

Neo Member
Little big adventure 2

That game was like nothing else before it.

The whole game was fully voiced (you could talk with anyone) And that game was huge.

For 1997 the graphics were amazing.(It came out a year and a half before Zelda OOT)

This. It was one of the first games I played on PC and spoiled me. Didn't know that not everything will be like this.
And for a long time I was amazed that no one seemed to talk about it.

vsMIC

several dc games (for console gaming)

- pso, online gaming + events
- sega rally 2 + f355, leaderboards
- skies of arcadia, small dlc (treasure island)
- soul calibur (graphics)
- shen mue, open world + social

Freddo

Heh, System Shock and Outcast were the first two games that crossed my mind when I read the title, and they are both getting remakes.

daTRUballin

This thread is shockingly devoid of any mentions of Goldeneye 007. Unless I missed any posts mentioning it.

That game revolutionized first person shooters and started the whole multiplayer FPS craze on consoles. Later on, Halo and COD took everything to new heights with the power of online multiplayer, but it all started with Goldeneye. The game also introduced many things to the genre in its campaign especially. Perfect Dark has been mentioned multiple times in this thread, and yes, it was ahead of its time as well, but it wouldn't have existed without Goldeneye and it built off of many things Goldeneye had started.

My nomination...

Gex2Cover.jpg

For its time, this game was a technological marvel. It was one of the original PlayStation's first fully 3D platform games where all of the levels were accessible from a main hub, akin to Super Mario 64. The thing is, the PSOne had half the power of the 64 (if you go by bits), and yet the technical wizards at Crystal Dynamics managed to squeeze out every last bit of power and produced one of the PSOne's most fun and spirited games. It gave way to a sequel, Deep Cover Gecko, but that was nowhere near as good IMHO.

36950-Gex_-_Enter_the_Gecko_[NTSC-U]-5.jpg
367115-gex_gecko_screen.jpg

The game struggled in so many ways. It had a lot of loading screens, the frame rate was all over the place in open areas or when there was a lot happening on-screen, and its visuals were very primitive by today's standards. And yet, it was fun. It was funny. And to this day, remains one of my favorite PSOne classics.

It's a shame we'll never see an HD remaster, because I would buy it in a heartbeat!

Thank you for the gex love. No one usually talks about it past VO. I remember 2 being better than 3.

daTRUballin

My #1 is James Bond: Everything or Nothing. This game came out in 2003 and is a magnificently underrated game.

I believe EoN actually came out in 2004. Which was still technically before RE4, right? So maybe your point still stands. I don't exactly remember when RE4 came out. 2005?

And while this game did have a significant number of Bond actors lending their voices and likeness to the game, there were already Bond games that had voice acting from actual Bond actors before EoN. Namely The World Is Not Enough and Agent Under Fire. TWINE only had John Cleese as R in it, but AUF had both Judi Dench and John Cleese in it, I believe. To this day, I'm still surprised they couldn't get Pierce Brosnan to voice Bond in a game until EoN. :p

Fun fact: EoN was actually Pierce Brosnan's last time playing Bond, not Die Another Day. While DAD was his last movie, EoN was technically the last time he ever played Bond in anything.

Isurus

As others have mentioned, Halo 3. It was the complete package: campaign, co-op, multi-player, forge, theater mode, matchmaking, etc. The damn game had everything and is still my favorite Halo game of all time.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Test Drive Unlimited.

Absolutely loved this game on the 360. Have so many fond memories of cruising around Hawaii with my mates, so much so that I made the trip there to do it in real life! Knowing what turns and landmarks were coming up from memory blew my finance's mind lol.

Top Bottom