• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Wolf Link to unlock a new dungeon in Twilight Princess HD ?

Caayn

861374b686cf515b5aab931964899eb5.gif

VegiHam

A figurine that comes bundled with the game... for regular price and that will be widely available by itself.

I wish people would decide finally if they want amiibo to be more useful in a game or not. It's getting annoying, this constant back and forth.

OK: not. Boom, decided.

Ideally, amiibo should just go away forever; but they're profitable and probably funding the games I like; so if they're going to hang around they should at least be unobtrusive. None of this Shovel Knight multiplayer locked behind the plastic toy crap.

You can say 'oh but the stuff amiibo unlock wouldn't exist without amiibo' but to be honest, I don't care. If I'm buying a game, give me the stuff in the game or the option of paying for it as DLC; don't force me to buy more unneeded plastic clutter. The people who collect all of these things are going to anyway; so there's really no need to bribe them with better stuff. Keep it to silly costumes or whatever.

L~A

People are so focused on that dungeon thing, you all missed the most important news from that product description...

There's a Hero Mode. Unlocked from the start. Can switch between Hero / Normal at any time :)

Also touchscreen inventory, can switch at any time without interrupting gameplay.

About the dungeon, expecting something like the Cave of Ordeals in Tri Force Heroes, nothing more. Aka: it's ok if you don't play it.

You don't want Amiibos, others do. As for the Amiibos locking content, do some research before you let your obvious bias against Amiibos get the better of you. The Twilight Princess HD Amiibo bundle is in plentiful stock (at least in North America), so I don't see the problem.

I'm gonna go out on a limb & guess that you don't live in North America.

Well, since I got the information from Amazon.FR, I think its not far fetched to guess I definitely dont live in America :p

Even though I was wrong on the availability on this, it still sounds like locked content the same way it was for Splatoon.

It's not that crazy to believe that the content was created for the Amiibo.

I think its crazy to think that they wouldnt have added a new dungeon in their rerelease condisering they did that before (Zelda ALTTP or Link's Awakening DX)

Neoxon

People are so focused on that dungeon thing, you all missed the most important news from that product description...

There's a Hero Mode. Unlocked from the start. Can switch between Hero / Normal at any time :)

Also touchscreen inventory, can switch at any time without interrupting gameplay.
Both of which were in Wind Waker HD. It's nice to have confirmation, but it's not a huge surprise.

Sandfox

I'll wait for official confirmation before believing this but if it is true - and it isn't something silly like a boss rush, it's Nintendo's jump the shark moment for me

Nintendo isn't going to make an actual new dungeon for this.

I think its crazy to think that they wouldnt have added a new dungeon in their rerelease condisering they did that before (Zelda ALTTP or Link's Awakening DX)

I read this post wrong lol.

There are more Zelda games showing the opposite, including recent ones that likely had more effort behind them.

jariw

Interesting. I wonder if it will try to use the Gamepad in a "special way" but I will be pretty surprised if so.

Tantalus did a huge job on providing the special Gamepad support for their Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut port, so I would seem there would be a big chance they do something similar here.

Perhaps the TP:HD and Zelda U will use similar movement schemes?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If i had a Wii U this would honestly be enough for me to avoid the remaster like a plague.

If this is true and it's a significant location within the game, then this is bullshit and Nintendo deserve a significant backlash. But I'm sure there won't be, because Wii U owners seem quite happy with Amiibos.

mmmmh yep fuck that
whatever I'm not buying the game anyway but that's real shitty especially on such a trash port

Isn't it funny how the people who are not interested in the game/Wii U are the most outraged?

JoeM86

I'll wait for official confirmation before believing this but if it is true - and it isn't something silly like a boss rush, it's Nintendo's jump the shark moment for me

Just like the Link's Awakening DX Dungeon that only unlocked if you had a GameBoy Color?

Or the Oracle items that only unlocked if you had a GameBoy Advance?

Don't you think that you're over-reacting? Stuff like this has actually happened in Zelda titles before, and this is the cheapest variant.

L~A

Both of which were in Wind Waker HD. It's nice to have confirmation, but it's not a huge surprise.

Who said it was a surprise? To be honest, MM3D didn't have a Hero Mode, so a confirmation is appreciated (just like you said). No idea why they didn't talk about that stuff in the Direct, though?

JoeM86

Who said it was a surprise? To be honest, MM3D didn't have a Hero Mode, so a confirmation is appreciated (just like you said). No idea why they didn't talk about that stuff in the Direct, though?

They will in the next one in the next month.

Just like the Link's Awakening DX Dungeon that only unlocked if you had a GameBoy Color?

Don't you think that you're over-reacting? Stuff like this has actually happened in Zelda titles before, and this is the cheapest variant.

I really don't see how I'm overreacting, especially when I'm not even expecting more than a boss rush mode (at the very most).

Also, the Colour dungeon was literally 10 minutes worth of content and the exclusive GBA ring for the Oracle titles was nothing more than a single icon - it had no effect, passive or on demand. And those were rewards for purchasing an entire system, not an amiibo.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Because they're talking about it in the upcoming Direct!

Seriously, I wouldn't even be surprised if the new Direct comes this month.

Faenix1

Isn't it funny how the people who are not interested in the game/Wii U are the most outraged?

When did I once say I had no interest in the Wii U? Never. Not once. Don't assume things, m'kay?

And yes, I find the DLC practices of today appalling.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Locking content such as a new dungeon behind a limited print figurine ? Definitely sounds shitty.
Especially for a 40 euros remaster of a Gamecube game.

Limited print? the amiibo will also be sold separately, it will be used in Zelda U too, why do you think it will be limited?

iMkh

Neo Member
Tantalus did a huge job on providing the special Gamepad support for their Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut port, so I would seem there would be a big chance they do something similar here.

Perhaps the TP:HD and Zelda U will use similar movement schemes?

That would be nice but I don't know if Nintendo will be bothered to make an "entire" dungeon with an external studio. But we don't know if this is supposed to be a big real dungeon or not.

As someone said above, it will probably be just like WWHD.

SalvaPot

Sure I would be okay with this, hence why I'm okay with Amiibos in Mario Maker.
And yes, I wasnt aware of the Amiibo being sold separately but it fix only one part of the problem: Its not limited. But its still to be bought. I'm biased toward bad practices. I dont mind Amiibos being used to store data and such or unlock content that you can unlock without it.

All right then. Only time will tell, I guess. As of my experience, collecting amiibo is a big deal. People really do enjoy having a collection, making lines to get it and having the little toys to the side. A lot of them don't even use the functionality that much, but they do when they got a cool idea for it, like, as you said, in mario maker. I do get that Amiibo seems like a cashgrab in Nintendo's part for someone who doesn't appreciate them, but please consider that there is a good chunk of people that do. The numbers don't lie, Amiibo is a huge success for Nintendo, at least the Smash ones, why do you think that is? Its because its a cheap fun way to show your appreciation for your favorite characters.

Now, if the dungeon is locked exclusively behind this amiibo that would suck, I won't deny that, but people believed the same thing when the Super Mario Maker content was revealed and it didn't turned out that way, so I'll give the benefit of the doubt until we get more info on this one. So far all the content locked by amiibo has been fun little extras. In a way its more like a membership card that gives you bonuses and perks every now and then, not a exclusive club that is impossible to join.

My point is, GhostTrick, that is extreme of you to disregard the value of amiibo just because it doesn't appeal to you. The content it gives is there for you to purchase, and if you don't feel like biting, that is entirely fine, but you can't honestly blame Nintendo for pursuing a business model that works and that has such a huge acceptance rate. If its successful is because people support it. Want to see and example of how bad it can be?

See the Animal Crossing amiibo. I love the series, but there is almost no incentive to collect them and so they did not sell as much as they could if the game they promoted was, well, better. This should tell you that the amiibo consumers are not fools following every Nintendo trend they dictate, but are actually conscious consumers.

Of course I may be biased too, since I have all of the amiibo so far. And I mean all of them. But its the only thing I have ever collected and I really enjoy it.

Well that was longer than I expected, sorry about that.

L~A

Because they're talking about it in the upcoming Direct!

Seriously, I wouldn't even be surprised if the new Direct comes this month.

Well, of course, doh :p

But it's hardly major news, so I'm surprised they didn't mention right off the bat. Oh well.

JoeM86

Isn't funny how people who are consumers are the biggest defenders of anti-consumer decisions?

Giving extra value to another product is hardly anti-consumer

I really don't see how I'm overreacting, especially when I'm not even expecting more than a boss rush mode (at the very most).

Also, the Colour dungeon was literally 10 minutes worth of content and the exclusive GBA ring for the Oracle titles was nothing more than a single icon - it had no effect, passive or on demand. And those were rewards for purchasing an entire system, not an amiibo.

The fact is they have locked content behind needing hardware in almost half a dozen Zelda titles.

It sounds like and probably is extra content for the Cave of Ordeals but for those hoping that its nothing more than that... why? Sure its locked behind an amiibo but who cares? I would rather new dungeons exist behind an amiibo than not exist at all.

People really need to decided if they want amiibo to play more important roles.

I do not like amiibos, I don't own any. But it is nicer to have a content lock away than to not have it at all.

Edit: I hope there is option to buy it without amiibo, though.

lherre

Accurate
If this is true, I don't like it at all, I hope the amiibo only eases the way to get into the dungeon, and can be unlocked by anyone who doesn't have the amiibo.

I was going to buy the Amiibo edition anyway, but this amiibo paywall is something I don't dig at all.

Basically this ... I think this was discussed before and it is not a good practice if the people that doesn't want the amiibo hasn't another way to play this DLC because this is basically DLC:

JoeM86

They're locking on-disc content behind a plastic paywall and monetizing it.

And some Nintendo fans rejoice this decision and call it "hardly anti-consumer."

They're creating extra content for consumers who buy more of their products. It is not likely that this content would exist if amiibo did not.

That's not anti-consumer. You're looking at it backwards.

Yeah, i don't see Tantalus making a whole new dungeon, with an item, setting, etc.
Twilight Cave sounds like a Master Quest version of the Cave of Ordeals, maybe a Twilight version of it found in the Twilight Realm.

Isn't funny how people who are consumers are the biggest defenders of anti-consumer decisions?
People who buy Amiibos and want them to have more use/content are consumers too, just saying. :)

Also, if this stuff is true, then there is still always the possibility that every Zelda-themed Amiibo, be it the Wolf-Link one or from the Smash series, unlock this content.
See: Hyrule Warriors, iirc all Zelda series unlock weapons.

They're locking on-disc content behind a plastic paywall and monetizing it.

And some Nintendo fans rejoice this decision and call it "hardly anti-consumer."

Basically this. I don't like collecting plastic figures, so I can't access the new content. If this is how amiibo will function in the future, then I'll be buying less Nintendo games.

lherre

Accurate

So bad practices in the past are the excuse for a bad practice in a current title?

SalvaPot

so horse armor is cool then

Come on now, then you are going to say the Mario Kart 8 DLC was expensive.

Edit: Honest question. Do you think this practice would result in MORE sales or LESS sales? Likewise for profit.

They are adding value to a plastic toy a percentage of players want to buy.

I do hope there is a way to unlock in game or through payed DLC.

Top Bottom