• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New pic of Pennywise from "IT" (2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shit, I knew I shouldn't have came into this thread right before bed. That Tim Curry gif will make you fear clowns if you don't already

Saya

This

Found more scarier this guy

images

Bassie is a legend... the only clown that I can tolerate...

But this is exactly how Pennywise was described in the book. It's the TV adaptation that messed with the design.

Ah, I didn't know. I should read the book one of these days...

But this is exactly how Pennywise was described in the book. It's the TV adaptation that messed with the design.

I already mentioned how the book described him to look. Neither this, nor the TV series "got it right". Both get certain parts of the design right, as the TV series version seemed to have eye paint more inspired by Ronald McDonald and an overal design that was loosely based on the Bozo-look, while this one has hair tuffs that are curved upward like horns (small ones, but ones nonetheless) and is wearing a silver suit(yet isn't a circus clown suit, but is said to be inspired more by medieval clowns). Both are still a far cry from the Bozo/Clarabell/Ronald-looking circus clown described in the novel. I guess, given the description of Pennywise, his look was supposed to be "familiar" as a clown to the kids. Familiar enough to be paired up with visions and smells of a circus and carnival, like the smell of cotton candy, peanuts, animal shit and fried doughboys, as well as the sound of the calliope music and the woosh of the "Shoot the Chute"s and such. Something familiar, yet a corruption of that familiar merriment.

Spoo

Don't really have a problem with Pennywise's look. It's not what I expected, but a part of that is mostly thanks to the TV miniseries which cemented in my mind the way it *should* be.

Going for that look again, though, would be a good way to set up a losing game. Trying to emulate anything about Curry's take is bound for failure; they needed to go in a different direction to establish something familiar but different, and so they have. It's evil-looking, sure, but I wouldn't say generic. Lets not forget that the clown kills kids, after all; an 'evil' look is probably a fine starting point for an R-rated interpretation of the material.

What's more important than the look is the character. The voice, the body language, the silhouette in a dark hallway -- stuff not represented in a still. I get that people aren't happy with what they've seen so far, but you really need a holistic view to be able to really understand the direction they've chosen. Once the trailer comes out, hopefully people will be able to draw more reasonable conclusions about whether or not it works.

Kevin

Yeah I absolutely loved the original so I am taking a wait and see approach. I hope the trailer releases soon. Should have a better idea if this film will be any good or not.

The original film also had an amazing soundtrack which I very much doubt the new one will be able to get anywhere close to the awesome soundtrack of the original. Oh well, still hoping to new film surprises me in a good way.

IT OT: He thrusts his fists and then he posts

This is good, actually. To play off that:

IT |OT| We all post down here.

I love both of these, thanks!

Edit: think the first one is the winner so far. "Posts" actually being part of it is just too good.

Isn't that from Salem's Lot?

It's in both, but it's far more important in IT. It's actually originally from a book called Donovan's Brain.

Don't really have a problem with Pennywise's look. It's not what I expected, but a part of that is mostly thanks to the TV miniseries which cemented in my mind the way it *should* be.

Going for that look again, though, would be a good way to set up a losing game. Trying to emulate anything about Curry's take is bound for failure; they needed to go in a different direction to establish something familiar but different, and so they have. It's evil-looking, sure, but I wouldn't say generic. Lets not forget that the clown kills kids, after all; an 'evil' look is probably a fine starting point for an R-rated interpretation of the material.

What's more important than the look is the character. The voice, the body language, the silhouette in a dark hallway -- stuff not represented in a still. I get that people aren't happy with what they've seen so far, but you really need a holistic view to be able to really understand the direction they've chosen. Once the trailer comes out, hopefully people will be able to draw more reasonable conclusions about whether or not it works.

If the footage they showed is anything to go back, sounds like the trailer isn't really going to show him. Seems weird since they've put out photos of him. Guess we'll see soon.

LOL. Found that post funny as well, but decided to let it go.

Just a reminder: the first trailer for this should be coming out in a couple days. The director, Andy Muschietti, is posting numbered balloons on his instagram every day (https://www.instagram.com/andy_muschietti/?hl=en) leading up to it.

Could be something else, I guess, but very likely to be the first trailer. Hopefully it's good.

Wait, is that Stephen King tweet pictured there implying that this movie is only telling the first part of the story, or that King has only seen the first part of the movie?

Wait, is that Stephen King tweet pictured there implying that this movie is only telling the first part of the story, or that King has only seen the first part of the movie?

This movie is about the kids only. If it does well, the sequel will be about the adults, and boring as shit because nothing interesting happens in the adult parts of the story.

... that's not true at all.

I really didn't care for the adults parts of the story. Didn't find any of it very interesting outside of the trippy ending, that I can't even imagine on film. Jumping between the two works well enough in the book. Telling it as two separate pieces, instead of one story that keeps moving forward on two different timelines, just seems goofy to me.

Serious question, what parts did you really like in their part of the story? Genuinely curious. If I were to talk about the parts I loved, it would pretty much all come from the kids sections.

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of Fukunaga's script? I wasn't aware that it was ever leaked until recently and it seems the studio did a great job of burying it.

(I don't think this is against the ToS, but if so, I apologize!)

I really didn't care for the adults parts of the story. Didn't find any of it very interesting outside of the trippy ending, that I can't even imagine on film. Jumping between the two works well enough in the book. Telling it as two separate pieces, instead of one story that keeps moving forward on two different timelines, just seems goofy to me.

Serious question, what parts did you really like in their part of the story? Genuinely curious. If I were to talk about the parts I loved, it would pretty much all come from the kids sections.

Yeah, up until the climax the majority of the adult story basically just serves as a framing device for the kid story, with them sitting around remembering their childhood along with a creepy interlude here and there.

Dirca

No no no....he's described more as Bozo/Clarabell in the book. His outfit is blue and silver with orange pompoms. The tv adaptation got it closer than the upcoming movie. I do like the ancient look of the new costume, but Pennywise never was supposed to let ok scary as a clown at first.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
No no no....he's described more as Bozo/Clarabell in the book. His outfit is blue and silver with orange pompoms. The tv adaptation got it closer than the upcoming movie. I do like the ancient look of the new costume, but Pennywise never was supposed to let ok scary as a clown at first.

Pretty sure it's the tie that's blue in the book. The costume is supposed to be silver/grey just like this new Pennywise. And the hair description from the book, is now represented far better with the new one. And I'm not shitting on Tim Curry's Pennywise here. One of the classic villains of cinema.

And again, we've not seen Pennywise in a normal situation yet. All the pictures we have, are all front moments in which he's supposed to look terrifying. That's like looking at at picture of Tim Curry's Pennywise with the sharpened teeth and saying that Pennywise shouldn't look scary.

My favorite scenes from the adult portions, off the top of my head:

Bill finding Silver in the pawn shop
Bill waking up Audra by riding on Silver at the very end
Ben drinking at the bar after he gets his call from Mike
Bev beating the crap out of her husband
Stan's bathtub death
Ritual of Chud part 2 (god I hope they don't fuck this up)

I put spoilers because I assume not everyone has read the book.

Generally I agree that the adult stuff works as a framing device and that most of the best material is in the childhood portions.

I really can't believe people find Tim Curry's clown scary. After having read the book and then watching the movie I was super disappointed, the movie was shit. I'm glad they are doing a reboot to give it another shot.

Some more pics:

17493102_1387880824565538_6282030799900055410_o.jpg

I wonder what they are watching in that bottom shot.

I'm excited for the
turtle scenes tbh, especially when they realize the turtle is dead.

I hope the Turtle is even in it. I could see it being too conceptual...the whole ritual could be, honestly. But in the age of CG, I sincerely hope to see it done right.

Here's some trailer info I found:

IT trailer info:
- Running time: 2:27

- Ratings: 14A (Suitable for viewing by persons 14 years of age or older. Persons under 14 must be accompanied by an adult. May contain violence, coarse language, and/or sexually suggestive scenes.)

- Hinted release date: March 29, 2017

Might be
an updated version of them looking through the photo book when It jumps out at them

It is. Sounds weird too, from the description.

The pictures are of Georgie and his parents, and each slide zooms in on Georgie's face before cutting to his mother, whose hair is covering her face. As the projector moves from slide to slide, the hair moves out of his mother's face, and her face is revealed to be that of Pennywise himself.

Rundown of the whole trailer.

TBiddy

When I watched this as a kid, I was scared to death of that friendly clown. That new one looks ridiculous.

scoobs

Need to hear his voice to know if I'm going to accept this guy as the new Pennywise. Hes certainly creepy looking (if a little dumb looking with that giant forehead)

Cth

I like the idea, but why would Richie be MISSING? And how would he have gone missing early enough to be on Georgie's newspaper boat anyway?

Probably overthinking it.

It's reused assets.. there's earlier promo pics with each kid on a missing poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom