• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nunes: Court-authorized surveillance of foreign agents picked up Trump talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/22/politics/devin-nunes-trump-communications/index.html

So...good or bad for Trump?
House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes said Wednesday that President Donald Trump's personal communications may have been picked up by investigators through "incidental collection."

Nunes said at a news conference he discovered the potential surveillance of Trump himself while reviewing intelligence reports, but said it was not related to Russia.
"This is a normal, incidental collection, based on what I could collect," Nunes said. "This appears to be all legally collected foreign intelligence under" the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

Dartastic

Mesoian

Knowing the way he talks, it'll be socially bad.

But I don't think this is going to be a watergate type thing.

Ourobolus

Banned
Well, it's certainly not good.

"President Donald Trump's personal communications may have been picked up by investigators through "incidental collection."

That means that others were being investigated and they found communications between the investigated individual and Trump. The content of those communications will be important.

but he doesn't even know putin

Xando

Basically "The NSA intercepts every foreign call, we may or may not have picked something up when he called someone outside the country"

Depends what that information they collected is.

If there are interesting conversations between him and Manafort, I bet that will be BAD for Trump.

But if it's Trump making fake phone calls to TV shows pretending to be a Trump fan... well, that's bad too. lol

It should be neutral but he and his supporters will use it to say he was right about being wiretapped, and his opponents will speculate he must have been up to something to be on tape in the first place. This is a nonstory being made into a story by a House supporter.

CHC

So...good or bad for Trump?

It could be good for him if the actual content winds up being off limits to actually access. If you believe what Comey said during the conference on Monday, the intelligence community takes these things very very seriously and doesn't just access the actual content of incidentally collected communications without a seriously rigorous amount of due process.

Like I said, if you believe him. Who knows what the truth it.

In that case the basic headline would be that Trump was actually wiretapped and they didn't get anything of use. Which would make it seem like all the bullshit he was spewing had some grain of truth.

Well we know Trump wasn't working with the State Department before contacting foreign leaders. I believe he was using unsecured phones as well? Maybe the FBI/CIA picked up some of that?

RPGCrazied

Good. Hope something is extra damning in them. Can we get this guy to resign already? Since GOP aren't going to impeach him no matter what he does.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The fact that Nunes is volunteering this and NOT throwing the IC under the bus is... fascinating.

In fact he's saying it's "fine" basically.

wow. What's in it?

This is going to be terrific for Trump especially if this is getting out in front of a bigger story.

Yea, but the bigger story is that there is a Russian Mafia operation going on INSIDE TRUMP TOWER and that it predates the Presidential Election by a few years.

That doesn't look good for Trump.

If there is even the slightest, tiniest thread between Trump and this Russian money scheme, he's fucked.

sajj316

Two comments by Nunes regarding this. I don't understand if he would be alarmed by it if it was normal, incidental collection. Unless the content of the collection itself is "alarming".

"This is a normal, incidental collection, based on what I could collect," Nunes said. "This appears to be all legally collected foreign intelligence under" the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

"I'm actually alarmed by it," Nunes said.

Madness

What are the chances that he's said something so profoundly racist that it would hopefully get the impeachment talks to ramp up?

Nothing. If after all this there isn't even a hint of impeachment, nothing will happen. You think any Republican senators or members of congress will vote to impeach because he says something racist? Think about all he has said about Mexicans and Muslims so far and it made him more popular than ever.

Nah, he's actually trying to help Trump re: wiretapping claims.

How does confirming that there was an investigation that picked up Trump's communications *help* Donald Trump? His whole thing was that Obama ordered the wiretap, which...still isn't the case.

RPGCrazied

Two comments Nunes regarding this. I don't understand if he would be alarmed by it if it was normal, incidental collection. Unless the content of the collection itself is "alarming".

Maybe he has seen something we haven't seen. I'm sure there is alarming stuff in there. Probably Russian shit.

Maxim726X

How does confirming that there was an investigation that picked up Trump's communications *help* Donald Trump? His whole thing was that Obama ordered the wiretap, which...still isn't the case.

Yeah, I mean I can see how that argument may make sense... But it still doesn't validate his original claim.

I don't see how this would benefit Trump in any way. But who knows how it could be spun.

TS-08

Two comments by Nunes regarding this. I don't understand if he would be alarmed by it if it was normal, incidental collection. Unless the content of the collection itself is "alarming".

I interpret that to mean he was alarmed that that information was able to be collected legally against the incoming President.

Sephzilla

What Nunes says in the video in the article and in the article itself feel like two different things. In the video he seems to imply that the collecting was unrelated to any known current investigations and seemed to have a tone that implied it was "wrong". But the quotes in the article itself state what was done was legal.

I'm confused

marrec

Banned
The fact that Nunes is volunteering this and NOT throwing the IC under the bus is... fascinating.

In fact he's saying it's "fine" basically.

wow. What's in it?

He's trying to give Trump an out for the wiretapping claims while at the same time trying to explain his lack of urgency for the claims originally.

Let's see if it works.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What Nunes says in the video in the article and in the article itself feel like two different things. In the video he seems to imply that the collecting was unrelated to any known current investigations and seemed to have a tone that implied it was "wrong". But the quotes in the article itself state what was done was legal.

I'm confused

Me too.

Maybe Nunes doesn't know what to do yet? But I have a strong feeling Nunes is part of the Trump Circle of Borscht.

Well, it's certainly not good.

"President Donald Trump's personal communications may have been picked up by investigators through "incidental collection."

That means that others were being investigated and they found communications between the investigated individual and Trump. The content of those communications will be important.

According to Snowden, there are so many things that trigger the FISA data collection that it would be almost impossible for any person who uses the internet to avoid it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom