• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1 Punch Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mephala

Some people in Japan can't get past stereotypical bullshit.

I sometimes wonder how much of it is due to them stereotyping and how much of it is due to simply a lack of better references. Keeping in mind often their culture and media is drastically different to our own. On the other hand I wonder if the difference should even matter.

I saw the first few minutes of the first episode before I quit. I disliked it.

Keep at it. I didn't like it for 1-2 episodes either but by the end of the season I'd put it up there with OPM

Though it's bizarre to begin with that you'd make a judgement call based on a "few minutes" - probably why you said you don't like any anime

Keep at it. I didn't like it for 1-2 episodes either but by the end of the season I'd put it up there with OPM

Though it's bizarre to begin with that you'd make a judgement call based on a "few minutes" - probably why you said you don't like any anime

Perhaps its the animation style? Even though it sticks closely to ONE's webcomic style, which I love as part of the charm I guess, its quite different than the OPM anime style, since that takes from the redrawn manga.

Perhaps its the animation style? Even though it sticks closely to ONE's webcomic style, which I love as part of the charm I guess, its quite different than the OPM anime style, since that takes from the redrawn manga.

The basic style is simple, but the colour palette used is insane and the intricacy of the animation is in a league of its own

I've wanted to watch this but I can never find a good place to watch it. I feel like the only place I can find it is if I find around torrent sites but that's a pain in the arse. Let me stream it, god damn it.

The basic style is simple, but the colour palette used is insane and the intricacy of the animation is in a league of its own
Agree,wholeheartedly. Just the opening for MP100, the constantly evolving focus plus the eyepopping neons, part of what had me hooked before the show even started.

I've wanted to watch this but I can never find a good place to watch it. I feel like the only place I can find it is if I find around torrent sites but that's a pain in the arse. Let me stream it, god damn it.

And as for streaming OPM, its on Netflix now, and I think its still on Hulu. US, that is, unsure for other regions.

A-V-B

Mob psycho is a better critical show, but for me I'll rewatch one punch man many many risks while mob psycho its not as easily consumed. At least for myself.

Yeah. MP100 is kinda heavy emotionally, whereas you can just jump right into One Punch Man and have a fucking great time.

KonradLaw

Saitama is the best superhero :)

I also like how much the shows display the cultural difference between Japan and USA. In american comics/shows superheroes tend to be vigilantes. Meanwhile in both OPM and My Hero Academia superheroes are part of official goverment structure.

The ending of season 1 of mob psycho is one of the best thing I have ever seen, it's amazingly hilarious how everything was subverted

Faiz

I know people say this a lot but ... I can't help but agree. I think it was episode 3 where it really clicked with me. Mob easily ranks in my top 5 for the last few years.

I still think a lot of people who dont watch much anime dont get a lot of those jokes, that rely on knowing lots of anime tropes.

Though it seems even then its a great anime.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I wonder if anyone who isn't familiar with the manga caught the villain for the upcoming season, or even the next two season with all the added content. It was pretty quick.

I still think a lot of people who dont watch much anime dont get a lot of those jokes, that rely on knowing lots of anime tropes.

Though it seems even then its a great anime.

Even though Western and Eastern comics are as different as the cultures they share a lot of the same tropes and cliches at this point. Monologueing heroes and villains for example. Everything from the Venture Bros. to the Incredibles makes jokes about that.

99Luffy

Banned
It's supposed to sound dumb. He's a hero whose only defining trait is that he rides a bicycle because he doesn't have a motorcycle license.
That would work for the manga, but on the show theres moments where they clearly call him mumen. Seeing 'licenseless' in the subtitles would look odd. Even worse if it was a dub. 'Licenseless we believe in you!!'
I believe this is the same reason they went with amai mask too. Mumen and Amai sound like names to english audiences.

Neoxon

There is an English dub on Netflix, it's the same one that was aired on Toonami.

But yeah, it's a good show. You should definitely check out Mob Psycho 100 as well if you get the chance.

cLOUDo

I love the many faces Saitama uses, this in particular was so hype

fec229decb761c4f5d77e72ae87f8b1a.png

Not

Banned
This is the greatest manga/anime ever made OP. I was in the same boat you are back in 2014 or so, I didn't like any manga that much then along comes this one that throws all the rules out the window and makes fun of them.

The anime having Godly Madhouse animation to match the already peerless Murata art just made everything better.

Mob Psycho 100 is not terrible, but overall premise is pretty unoriginal compared to OPM.

Still worth watching the anime though, because the animation is spectacular.

SRG01

There is an English dub on Netflix, it's the same one that was aired on Toonami.

But yeah, it's a good show. You should definitely check out Mob Psycho 100 as well if you get the chance.

The English dub is on Netflix? They only have Japanese audio and English subs in Canada...

Mael

was about to make a thread about it but hey
might as well post the OT I had in mind here :

Netflix doesn't have episode 5?
Wut?
Is it normal that they have such a gap in their syndication?
And Hulu has a free ad supported tier or I missed something ?

As an aside, OPM has a big problem making not-Saitamas look any kind of competent.
I know it's kind of on purpose and a deconstruction of super heroes but that's taking it a bit far.
It's sufficiently well made that it doesn't look like a juvenile Mary Sue story about an unbeatable hero but you can still see the line though.

Also woah at the production values!
It may be only 13 episodes but by god they managed to be close to Murata's art and it's really fantastically animated.
the music is awesome.

dickroach

yeah, one punch is the thing that got me into anime a few months ago...
now i've watched a few other short series, have caught up with DBSuper, almost caught up with JoJo, and have like 20 things on my crunchyroll queue. :[

give Mob Psycho another shot. it's great
none of the other stuff I've watched has been as good as One Punch or Mob Psycho honestly

theWB27

Wut?

As an aside, OPM has a big problem making not-Saitamas look any kind of competent.
I know it's kind of on purpose and a deconstruction of super heroes but that's taking it a bit far.
It's sufficiently well made that it doesn't look like a juvenile Mary Sue story about an unbeatable hero but you can still see the line though.

Also woah at the production values!
It may be only 13 episodes but by god they managed to be close to Murata's art and it's really fantastically animated.
the music is awesome.

Who looked incompetent if i may ask?

Matty77

Is this getting a second season? Usually not a big fan of anime but I really dug this and watched it as the episodes went up on Hulu.

If there is a second season I hope I can watch it the same way because I don't want to wait for netflix and I don't watch enough anime to bother with crunchyroll.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Wut?

Looked it up on Reddit. Apparently they were having audio problems with the English dub, and subtitle sync issues with episode 5, so they pulled both and are presumably going to put them back soon.

the anime was so much fun. I thought the art was shit but then I stayed with it for one of the most entertaining series ever. Shame about the 2nd season infinitlely delayed.... :/

PKrockin

I loved the manga and the anime did not disappoint. I could watch the fight between
Saitama and Genos
all day. Saitama and Genos are wonderful characters.

I need to finish up Mob Psycho 100.

dlauv

I've only finished two episodes, but it's a bit obvious in its humor and repetitive in its storytelling.

It's still inventive and beautiful otherwise and I can't wait to finish more.

Ronabo

I don't watch much anime anymore (42yrs old here) but I really liked OP man. Looking forward to more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom