• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much would you give away if you want the lottery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_z

50 million is a lot but I'd find out annual interest rates and decide on my chunk from there. Maybe set aside amounts for immediate family to live off as well. I'd give my mom some money for relatives and let her devide it. I'll deal with friends myself.

I'd maybe donate a portion of the unused annual interest to charities each year. I hear if people, charities and organization get wind of your money you get hounded constantly asking to give them some. I don't want real life spam.

I'd donate a large amount of it to a charity like The Human Fund. Money...for people.

I'd build homes for the homeless and ensure they have adequate mental health checkups when needed.

If I won the lottery I'd do my damnedest to make sure no one ever finds out. I'd use the money to buy some nicer gifts for friends and family, and probably give some to my favorite charities. But I probably wouldn't do anything too showy with it.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
My plan has always been to split the money evenly with my immediate family. Would be five shares, or more likely four or 3.5 since I'd imagine my parents wouldn't want individual or even that large of one share. Even ten million after splitting it the long way would be more than I'd ever need. If I could move somewhere where I could avoid the notoriety of being a lottery winner, all I'd really need would be a nice apartment and a good broadband connection, and the ability to travel at will.

mdubs

Banned
If everything goes to plan, no one will know I won hypothetically won the lottery.
I would give a portion out and help when I could, but I would try to keep the image of "free money" out of peoples head.

This. I would invest the proceeds, and then live off the interest. Part of that interest would go to charity and others, but the principal would be 100% mine.

Surprised so many would immediately just give away the principal. Gotta get that money working for you and you'll do way better in the long-run

Dez_

I'd like to think I'd give half of it to my immediate family, invest and save the rest to live off of, and save around 1 million left to give to good friends split among them. Of course, it probably would never be that simple, but I would tell my family to take the money that I gave them and give their share to their own family, so I can try and avoid being bombarded with money requests.

It would be a nice problem to have. Too bad I never really play the lottery.

Not to get to personal but why wouldn't you divorce your wife now instead of after hypothetically winning the lottery?

To get as many non material expenditures out of the way first so that she doesn't try to kick start the divorce early. I would have to give her half of everything material, so services and debt reduction wouldn't be effected.

Also some of those things are really important to me right now. Not to rent but life just sucker punched me and my health is at stake. Need to clean up basically.

Edit: wow I completely misread your post.

We can't afford the fees and everything, we ​have a house we're trying to sell, she just got a new job and we're basically trying to get on our feet first before pushing forward. It's been a big help being away from each other though, just need time to save money for the filing.

I'd give around $10M to various foundations and charities, as well as some of the important people in my life.

I'd invest the rest into bettering my life and keeping myself comfortable for the rest of my life, as well as giving my family the retirement they never thought they'd have.

LionPride

Banned
$15 million to various charities and foundations

$5 million to my mother

$3 million to the families of some of my friends

Try to invest $7 million elsewhere

Keep the remaining $20 million for myself while not living lavishly because fuck that, that's how you wind up broke as shit

RustyO

$5m: Me.
$10m: Family / Friends / Charity et al.
$10m: Investments / Long Term / Interest
$10m: Setup company to make music hardware.
$15m: Setup an Angel Investment Company.

I know a lot of people with good ideas, but no funding; and lots of other people I'm sure could do great things with just a small injection of financial capital.

So rather then charity / handouts, I'd be more interested in them creating something / being self-suffcient, whilst still retaining a portion of equity in their ventures.

Let's say you won the powerball jackpot that paid out $50 million after taxes. Would you give any of it away to fiends, family, or charity?

What sort of fiends? The evil demon type? Or the drug fiend type?
whynotboth.gif

I'd give my parents like $10 mil, and my bro like $5 mil. I'd ask them not to tell anyone about it, and I myself wouldn't tell anyone other than them and maybe an accountant or whatever.

I'd keep that shit on the down low.

$50 million, after taxes? I'd dump something like $49.5 in conservative investments and live off the $.5m until the investments start churning money. So initially, none.

But once I'm living on the investment income, I'd take what I didn't spend (I would still live pretty conservatively - no Ferraris) and put some of that back in to re-investments for my own portfolio and give most of the rest to charities and family. But I would also keep a ledger and eventually tithe 10% to my church, just not in one lump sum. I'd "owe" them $5 million, and pay it out of the investment income over time (+10% on that investment income.)

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
To be honest. I'd keep 2 million and put that in the bank. Live off the interest. Then I have about 3 people I consider good friends. They each get a million. Then I'd give my mom, sister, and nephew each a million. So that comes to about 8 million. After that rest would be given to worthwhile charities So that means a good 42 million would go to charity.

alejob

Parents: 5 Million
Brother and sister 2 Million each
1 million for spending money(pay off house, buy new truck and a few other things)
1 million to a friend
1 million other family and friends
2 million charities
20 million to buy a property
16 million investments and future living expenses

Gnome

I'd probably donate all but a couple million to charity. Keep just enough to invest so I can live moderately comfortable.

Geist-

I couldn't say. I'd probably pay off the debts for myself and immediate family members, but as far as charity, I'd want to do something more direct than just giving it away. Maybe start my own charity and have that be my "job" for the rest of my life.

Depends on how much I win. Either way I'm keeping most of it and moving the fuck far away from other relatives. I'll let my parents live with me since they don't speak English.

I guess I'll give a million to my brother and sister. That's about it. Keeping the rest of the 48 million for myself.

I wouldn't probably donate at first. I'd first wait for taxes. Pay those off first and then perhaps looking to starting a nonprofit rather than just relying on other organizations. Preferably, I'd like to look into educational organizations.

I'd definitely make sure my immediate family could live comfortably and I'd definitely like to ensure I have a nice house to live in though with my eventual family.

My extended family I can maybe give a couple dollars (except for my Grandparents who I'd treat just as well as my parents). I'd rather not spare them money lest they lean on my shoulder and annoy me. Plus most of them have decent financial bases. I don't really need to worry about them I feel.

So assuming 50 Million after tax.

I would use 10 million to ensure the financial security of my immediate family. Invest another 5 into bonds. Invest 10 into the Stock Market and other major capital investments. Enter 15 million into my private savings and spending and use the remaining 10 to slowly start up a non profit.

matt05891

I probably wouldn't "give" it away. For sure I would help out some friends and family and some light investment allowing me to live comfortably on dividends but I always thought it would be awesome to help assist in furthering humanity. I would probably try to create/invest in a company helping/assisting manned and unmanned spaceflight in some way shape or form. I wouldn't care about ROI as long as it's stable. Make some jobs and get to help create my and many others dreams come true in the exploration of space. That would be priceless.

Obviously this all depends on how much it is and I am grossly overlooking the difficulty of starting said company but hey its what I would look to do.

$25 million after taxes.

$5 million for charity / buying out friends/family student loans on day 1. (I think this would probably be like 4/1 split).

$2 million for family- closing out home equity loans / setting up trusts for kids for college (probably get hated on b/c i'm not just throwing money at them).

$16 million into my Vanguard/ST accounts.

$1 million for house / car. Wouldn't use anywhere near this amount but that's what I would set aside at the start.

$1 million into my bank account and just live.

I'd continue being really generous through life though so it's hard to say how much I'd give over my whole life.

This is a good list.

You gotta bump that housing budget though. At least in my area 1 million won't get you much.

I would buy a small apartment complex or similar to set my family with a source of income.

I would live a normal life, nothing lavish (not a big fan of people who show off excessive wealth), distribute some of it to friends and family so they would be comfortable with housing etc, and maybe donate the rest to a good cause.

Flo_Evans

I would buy a small apartment complex or similar to set my family with a source of income.

I would live a normal life, nothing lavish (not a big fan of people who show off excessive wealth), distribute some of it to friends and family so they would be comfortable with housing etc, and maybe donate the rest to a good cause.

I don't get this at all. Why bother managing an apartment complex when you could earn more income with it sitting in a bank account.

And if I can't buy a few porsches and Ferraris what's even the point of playing the lotto.

Apathy

I don't need much, a few mill I'd be fine. I would make millionaires out of my friends, and donate a large chunk to charities I really believe in.

"I think I could be a philanthropist. a kick ass philanthropist!"

LiK

I would give a lot to family, relatives and people who were kind to me. Give some to charities I respect. Not sure of amount cuz it depends on how much I win.

G-Bus

Banned
I'm not sure I'd give money away to friends and family. I'd certainly set my family up by clearing up debts and buy them some property/house. What ever else they want.

Only a couple friends I'd help out as they're the only ones who have been there or me.

Majority of my family I don't talk to so it would be entertaining seeing who tries to connect for obvious reasons and I'd laugh at them.

PKrockin

$50 million after taxes? First thought is $2 million to retire on and the rest to start a nonprofit health insurance organization. Wonder if that would be possible.

Kas

I would donate most of it.

I'd take the money and build a small communist-type community, made up of people with a good set of skills that complement one another and run an experiment to see how long it can self-sustain itself.

JBwB

50 million after taxes?

I'd give 5 million each to my sisters and parents (20 million total). Another 10 will be split among the rest of the family.

The rest I'll keep for myself. Probably donating a part of my portion to charity down the line.

Derwind

Ideally I'd use about 20% of my lottery earning for charity.

But I'd take that 20%, hire an investment manager/consultant, and use part of the returns on the investments as contributions to whatever charity I want to support. (Will that actually work... I don't know)

Azuran

Banned
Half to my mom and siblings because they deserved the money as much as I do.

The rest is mine to do what I desire. I may buy expensive stuff for my friends but they're probably not getting a share of the money officially.

Drazgul

I wouldn't initially give anyone or anything a lump sum - not even myself. First three months I'd just let it sit, figure out the best way to get it invested for a solid annual return. Even 1% would be a cool 500k a year, and I could then divvy that up with my parents and such. Some of those proceeds could also be put aside for larger purchases like real estate.

If you let yourself (or those close to you) get used to having a fortune as spending cash, you'll burn into that money real fast. I prefer it lasted a lifetime.

Herne

Keep €3 million for myself, give €1 million to family members and friends, split the rest between charities and funding exciting research or young companies that do good things for the environment.

Is there a way to set it up so the person accepting it can only get a certain amount at a time?

I'd love to do something like where it goes in some kind of savings or investment that pays dividends monthly and the person can only get the interest until they are a certain age. I'd be afraid that just handing over a million to someone would do more harm than good.

I'd give a portion to my immediate family and keep the rest. Probably keep 40mil for myself and create a company or two. I'd also pay a bunch into small charity upstarts, kickstarters etc.

I'd buy stupid stuff so people would know I won 'an' amount of money, but I already know who my friends are and wouldn't make a habit of paying for their stuff.

Rad-

I wouldn't give any money to other people. At least where I live you get taxed heavily doing so (gift tax is around 20% here).

I would just give out 1 million to some charity, put 80% to sit in the bank and start traveling with the leftovers.

arigato

Keep the lottery winning a secret as I don't trust people. I've seen how evil and insidious they can be for much less than a million. Thankfully I know of a few humans who are genuinely good whom I would donate a large sum to and include them in my will. And as for what I would do with the cash? That's private which I am not going to go into detail about lol.
Family is a no go as they never helped me when help was needed the most.

I don't have much family. But I would undoubtedly give my sisters a lot.

I would have to find a way to do it though without them knowing it was me. People will look at you differently once you are affluent.

None. I'm a greedy bastard and I definately wouldn't tell anybody about it. No fancy cars or mansions.

Then again my family is upper middle class so it's not like they need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom