• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit trilogy - News, rumours and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoGiff

Thanks for these, maquiladora. The Variety one is much better written than the HR one. Thus far I've seen nothing but praise for the
barrel escape
sequence. Which is pretty strange because in a way it could be imagined to play out similarly to the escape from Goblin-town in AUJ. Hopefully it lives up to the hype, and hopefully more reviews start popping up today!

Ixion

It seems the complaints they have carry over from the first movie:

-Not enough sense of danger
-The mission just isn't important enough to warrant three long movies, like LOTR

Vashetti

Banned
I hope people weren't turned off by AUJ and come back for this one.

For the record I loved AUJ (and even more the EE), but we all know media attention wasn't as positive.

It seems the complaints they have carry over from the first movie:

-Not enough sense of danger
-The mission just isn't important enough to warrant three long movies, like LOTR

I dont think that was something that was likely or even possible to change considering the story thats being adapted. The good news is both reviews claim its a significant improvement.

Ixion

I dont think that was something that was likely or even possible to change considering the story thats being adapted. The good news is both reviews claim its a significant improvement.

Yeah, the first issue couldn't really have been done any other way, since it was Tolkien who had
the dwarves continually get in and out of trouble throughout the first half of the book

The second issue obviously could have been avoided if PJ kept things tighter from the start and stuck to two movies instead of three, but it's too late for that.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I do agree that the hobbit trilogy doesnt feel as historical as LOTR, and as others have said, it does match the more childlike-fantastical feel of the book more.

Ixion

Middle-earth's got its mojo back. A huge improvement on the previous instalment, this takes our adventurers into uncharted territory and delivers spectacle by the ton. And in case you were wondering, yes, someone manages to say the title as dialogue.

family-guy-he-said-it-o.gif

Dead

well not really...yet
Empire giving it a 5/5

Looking forward to the 13th :D

SPOILER WARNING
The review says the Barrel sequence is about an hour into the film

Keep in mind that that is where AUJ originally was supposed to end.

Puts into perspective just how much footage they shot for them to make this into 3 movies. Adding that to AUJ would make for a 4 hour movie. Fucking crazy. Would love to know just how that movie was originally supposed to flow/be edited

Goddamn, I know.

I suddenly realized something, too: people who had never read the books must have been shocked and DESTROYED when he said "It is time, Frodo" and they realized Frodo was leaving his friends as well.

*pains in the heart*

My sister had no idea about anything in the books, and I didn't tell her. She was crushed when Gandalf died in the first one, ecstatic when he came back in the second one, and yeah, a blubbering mess by the end of the third. (that said, so was I at the end, just as I was when reading the books).

To make matters worse, the pain you see on their faces is real because this is the last day the hobbits, who had become best friends over the 3 years, are going to be working together. The next day they'd be moving on to new things.
IIRC this isn't true at all, it was an early scene that they filmed... so matters aren't worse at all!

Loxley

The OT may actually be finished later tonight :) I've had a decently sized window to work on it today.

As a head's up, here's how it's formatted:

- Title/Banner
- The Story So far...
- Key Characters
- The Company of Dwarves
- New and Returning Characters

- Part 2 -
- Credits
- Global Release Dates
- Media (trailers, vlogs, etc)

Watching Unexpected Journey right now on my new 55inch.

Man, this film looks truly wonderful (outside of the BAD Radaghast chase) and I never noticed how much better the camera pans and such look due to be filmed at 48fps. I mean, obviously I'm watching it at 24, but it still looks remarkably better than other films.
The Dwarf/Orc battle early in the film where Thorin receives his name is still one of my favorite action scenes in the entire series.

The dinner at the beginning is also still one of my favorite scenes in the entire saga as well...

Loxley

Based off the director commentary and other interviews, I got the impression that Jackson wasn't completely happy with how the Radagast chase sequence turned out either.

Based off the director commentary and other interviews, I got the impression that Jackson wasn't completely happy with how the Radagast chase sequence turned out either.

It looks straight out of Two Towers Warg Chase, both in tech and staging. Sticks out like a sore thumb.

I do enjoy that they talk about why they make the certain decisions they make.

Although I would still love an explanation for the music used at the end when Thorin is walking towards Azog and Bilbo/Thorin hug.

Makes no sense.

Vashetti

Banned
I do enjoy that they talk about why they make the certain decisions they make.

Although I would still love an explanation for the music used at the end when Thorin is walking towards Azog and Bilbo/Thorin hug.

Makes no sense.

Shore didn't have time to write new music after the three movie split so they had to recycle old music.

That's my theory.

Vashetti

Banned
I'd honestly like to see an indepth analysis of what would have been cut had we just had two films.

Because AUJ originally ending with the barrels sequence is just baffling to me. I can't see what they could have missed out.

Jacob

I'd honestly like to see an indepth analysis of what would have been cut had we just had two films.

Because AUJ originally ending with the barrels sequence is just baffling to me. I can't see what they could have missed out.

I imagine it's largely that most individual scenes would be much shorter. AUJ is an atrociously paced film. I tried rewatching it with my dad (who introduced me to Tolkien years ago) last night and we only made it to the disc break point in the EE and both decided that we were too bored and tired to keep watching. The film takes between 15 and 20 minutes to even get to the first scene of the book (Bilbo meeting Gandalf), and constantly cuts away for flashbacks and Radagast misadventures once they start travelling.

Cheebo

Banned
I imagine it's largely that most individual scenes would be much shorter. AUJ is an atrociously paced film. I tried rewatching it with my dad (who introduced me to Tolkien years ago) last night and we only made it to the disc break point in the EE and both decided that we were too bored and tired to keep watching. The film takes between 15 and 20 minutes to even get to the first scene of the book (Bilbo meeting Gandalf), and constantly cuts away for flashbacks and Radagast misadventures once they start travelling.

Disc break point? TUJ EE is 1 disc unlike the LOTR EE's. Unless you aren't watching it in HD and got the DVD instead I suppose.

Curufinwe

Im amazed by the 9 hours of HD making-of on the extended edition. Lives up to the prior releases. Im only on hour 2 so far. I cant marathon this shit like i used to :(

Anyway it just shows you how much effort it takes for this and makes you appreciate things you take for granted in the film. Like the whole way Gandalf is larger than everyone just seems so natural in the film you dont even think about it.

Watching it now and it really is fascinating and brilliantly put together. Better than the movie which I liked, but significantly less than the LotR films.

The bit where Freeman talks about overdressing for the traditional Maori welcome they had on set on day one of shooting is hysterical. He looks so out of place.

Jacob

Disc break point? TUJ EE is 1 disc unlike the LOTR EE's. Unless you aren't watching it in HD and got the DVD instead I suppose.

I bought the DVD by accident, though honestly I'm kind of glad now that I didn't spend more on it. :$

Quick question - watched the extended blu ray last night, and noticed that in the scene where Ori lets out that long burp, it jumps directly from him being seated to him already standing and burping in the very next shot. Is my ps3 skipping or is that an editing goof?

I don't have the non-extended version to compare it to, unfortunately.

Also the OT looks amazing. Will be reading through it tonight.

Ixion

Quick question - watched the extended blu ray last night, and noticed that in the scene where Ori lets out that long burp, it jumps directly from him being seated to him already standing and burping in the very next shot. Is my ps3 skipping or is that an editing goof?

Editing goof. Same in both versions.

Loxley

Just an FYI - as long as the DOS OT remains the primary place to discuss the film (we'll no doubt make a spoiler-discussion thread as well on Friday), this thread can be primarily for discussing and speculating about There and Back Again (aka Film 3) and everything that has to do with it in the mean time. So the split will go like this for a while:

The Hobbit Trilogy Discussion thread = There and Back Again open speculation, tagged spoilers for DOS if they need to be mentioned.

DOS |OT| = Primary discussion thread for DOS with no spoilers (initially). If you absolutely must mention a spoiler of some sort (perhaps in initial reactions) then they must be tagged.

DOS Spoiler thread = Fairly obvious, open discussion of every aspect of DOS.

AUJ spoilers are obviously fair game at this point between all three threads. Eventually, all discussion will likely revert back to this thread if last year was any indication.

TheWraith

Just saw this yesterday and can confirm the EE bluray is on two discs (US Region). I don't think they could fit the 3D movie on one disc.

TheWraith

AUJ is an atrociously paced film. ...too bored and tired to keep watching. The film takes between 15 and 20 minutes to even get to the first scene of the book (Bilbo meeting Gandalf), and constantly cuts away for flashbacks and Radagast misadventures once they start travelling.

You mean just like Fellowship started its story? Which I assume you did like?

Saw it again yesterday, and thought there were no pace issues at all. Such a great romp of a movie, can't wait for DoS. Friday can't come soon enough!

Ixion

You mean just like Fellowship started its story? Which I assume you did like?

AUJ had two prologues and also introduced two unrelated plot threads with Azog and Radagast.

FOTR had one prologue and no unrelated plot threads introduced.

After FOTR's prologue, you're just getting the main plot from then on. Big difference.

AUJ had two prologues and also introduced two unrelated plot threads with Azog and Radagast.

FOTR had one prologue and no unrelated plot threads introduced.

After FOTR's prologue, you're just getting the main plot from then on. Big difference.

Can you remind me what prologues were in AUJ? I only watched the movie once. Is Radagast's plot unrelated? He did go to Dol Guldur which is very much related to the plot.

Loxley

Can you remind me what prologues were in AUJ? I only watched the movie once. Is Radagast's plot unrelated? He did go to Dol Guldur which is very much related to the plot.

Prologue 1 - Old Bilbo + Frodo scene

Prologue 2 - Dwarves finding the Arkenstone + Smaug attacking Erebor

Radagast's is involved with the whole Necromancer sub-plot, which we'll see a lot more of in DoS.

Altazor

Maybe both the Bilbo prologue which begat the Dwarven/Erebor prologue? You can consider them both one big prologue, I guess.

I just finished watching the EE and... yeah, I dunno. I do believe the movie has pacing problems. And the whole tone is a bit conflicting - it's like it tries to be both a lighthearted fairytale and a serious epic adventure in the LOTR mould. And it can't be both, so it fails (in a sense) because the "seriousness" tarnishes the fantastical elements so to speak, but you can't also take 100% seriously a movie with a singing gobling king, a trio of arguing trolls with thick accents and no real urgency to the plot.

That... and some of the effects. Now, don't get me wrong - most of them (especially Gollum!) are simple amazing. The problem I have is that a lot of things look... well, fake. In a sense. Not because they're bad effects - but because they look like they don't really belong there. No weight, no wear, no effect on their surroundings. Then again, the LOTR trilogy also had effects like these but... I dunno, it seemed they were better placed, so that they didn't overwhelm the rest of the movie.

All in all I still like it. I mean, as I've already said, I'm too much of a fanboy. But it doesn't hurt to be a bit critical, huh? :p

Dead

well not really...yet
So i opened up my EE trilogy blu-ray box a minute ago and just realized how amazingly ridiculous the tagline on the back of the ROTK BRD is

"The last battle for Middle-Earth and triumphant conclusion glisten and roar with regal splendor in glorious hi-def"

Holy crap!

Loxley

I had no idea that Luke Evans played Girion in the Erebor flashback (from the AUJ EE). Neat.

While watching the live stream of the Berlin premiere, which is still running right now at Berlin Premiere Live Stream Luke Evans confirmed that he played Bard’s own ancestor, Girion of Dale. He only had to spend one day in costume, but as you can see from this image, that costume was very elaborate and heavy, similar to what the dwarves had to wear all the time. Luke said he was glad he only had to put on this heavy costume just the one day, but really loved playing his ancestor to bring that history to life.

xi0e.jpg

Ixion

Is Radagast's plot unrelated? He did go to Dol Guldur which is very much related to the plot.

It's not related to the main plot. Neither is Azog. They're both side-plots.

Everything in Fellowship furthered the main plot. That's why the pacing is much different in each film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom