• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mental Health |OT2| - Light in the Darkness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't drive because of my anxiety. I have no money. I'm a social vegetable. I had to work for years to get the friends I have. I have no means of finding a healthier environment, especially living in the Midwest. I'm trapped, and I'm in too much pain to deal with my friends rationally and they're too busy or indifferent to offer support. I have therapy scheduled but it took me two months to get into it, and it has a finite length. Also, I'm stuck in a marriage to someone I don't love, so I get to live with that every day.

Find a healthier environment. Hah. It's just that easy! Why didn't I think of it before!? Wheeeeeee!

You know what your post really did? It scared me into wanting to get rid of my friends now before I push them away with my depression. So thanks for putting that in my head.

redlegs87

I can't drive because of my anxiety. I have no money. I'm a social vegetable. I had to work for years to get the friends I have. I have no means of finding a healthier environment, especially living in the Midwest. I'm trapped, and I'm in too much pain to deal with my friends rationally and they're too busy or indifferent to offer support. I have therapy scheduled but it took me two months to get into it, and it has a finite length. Also, I'm stuck in a marriage to someone I don't love, so I get to live with that every day.

Find a healthier environment. Hah. It's just that easy! Why didn't I think of it before!? Wheeeeeee!

You know what your post really did? It scared me into wanting to get rid of my friends now before I push them away with my depression. So thanks for putting that in my head.

I don't think anyone said finding a more supportive environment was easy. I'd suggest to you this book I read called the happiness trap to possibly help you start the change from within.

If you ever need to talk or someone to just listen you can pm. Keep fighting the good fight.

Astral Dog

I don't think anyone said finding a more supportive environment was easy. I'd suggest to you this book I read called the happiness trap to possibly help you start the change from within.

If you ever need to talk or someone to just listen you can pm. Keep fighting the good fight.
exactly, its painful,scary, slow and difficult, and for some people its easier than others, thats the harsh reality.but, if you try and dont give up,take the correct path for you eventually you should feel progress, and wouldn't that be worth it.? Don't ever be scared of feeling lonely, instead see it as an opportunity to grow.

Of course its better said than done, but its worth a shot(or two or three)

junpei

Whenever I feel down l listen to That's Okay by The Hush Sound . Not a happy song by any means but it is oddly comforting to me . I feel its melancholic tone sums up my life .

redlegs87

Had a therapy session today I needed it more then I knew. I have been ignoring and bottling up the feelings that have stemmed from my dog being put down over a month ago. That's really how I've handled most loss in my life ever since my dad died when I was younger. I decided to just push it all down and not let it hurt me. That has worked ever since my dad died but with Skeeter she was with me for a long time and I can't push it down it's too much to hold back like it was with my dad all those years ago. My therapist helped me look at it in a different way and how to work through it then letting it eat at me. I could only imagine how hard it would be to lose her and it's hurt so much worse and it's still a bit to raw to full process yet but I'll get there eventually.

Had to search for some old invoices and while I didn't find them I found some of the drawings my ex made for me and even the invoice from of our first real date. That stuff brought back all the memories and it seriously ruins my whole day and probably the weekend as well. I might try to numb the pain with some liquor I have at home but I'm not even sure if I want to keep going. Giving up would be a much easier choice.
I just feel so sorry for all the people I've disappointed in the last few years, including her.

Poppy

whats the point of talking to people when all they do is instantly react with advice on how you should solve a problem, as if they have a mental impulse to spit out useless bullshit anytime you manage the confidence to tell them about something that bothers you

it is stuff like that which makes it so unappealing to have friends most of the time. same with family too. people who either have not experienced what you are feeling, or HAVE and yet just adopted some weird lifestyle or personality where they think they have the answers now, or just dont want to hear about your problems so they deflect it off

and so i sever contact for as long as i can. because its too annoying and painful to realize you live in a world where people dont give a shit about you and just want to give you an answer so you stop bothering them. but then, it is also too painful to live in a world where you speak to nobody and stare at your monitor aimlessly or lay in bed for hours doing nothing. and they will come at you on your phone like hey where are you whatre you doing

and its almost like they care, and so you go talk to them again and it doesnt take long before they no longer are asking whats up with you, and when that makes you depressed and you offhandedly mention that you have been feeling kinda shitty they are like you should do X lol

so you start the cycle again

It's been two months going to therapy, and while there has been some improvement, I'm scared now that my therapist will be on vacation until september. She gave me one final session because I had a bad anxiety attack mixed with anger management and posterior sinking into depression again, but right now I'm on my own.

A good part of the depression I have endured seems to stem from academic and laboral failure. I got a ADHD diagnosis, and medication seems to be improving thing, or at least I am not feeling so worthless now that I can get stuff done (sometimes).

still haven't gone to get help for my depression after looking up were to go months ago. been putting it off. convincing myself I don't need it.

To get my mind off it I just bury my head in Games & TV and when I'm away from those distractions, I realize how worthless I am and how I'm just wasting mine and everyone's time.

wish someone would just kill me; too cowardly to commit suicide. at least right now.

Sesha

Saw my GP after coming back from my exchange. I'm finally able to start trying medication for my anxiety, and we sent an application off to a psychologist for more long term treatment. Yay!

N° 2048

still haven't gone to get help for my depression after looking up were to go months ago. been putting it off. convincing myself I don't need it.

To get my mind off it I just bury my head in Games & TV and when I'm away from those distractions, I realize how worthless I am and how I'm just wasting mine and everyone's time.

wish someone would just kill me; too cowardly to commit suicide. at least right now.

Wow, this is me.

Replace "months ago" with "years ago" for me. I think I still have the list, I always do that...make a list of things I want to do but none get done.
Suicide is so hard for me too since I'm scared of the pain, I'm pretty sure I'd be dead if I were born in the USA since I could just get a gun and that's it.
Shit got so much worse when my mom died of cancer two years ago, she's all I had. Here I am 28 years old and both my biological parents are dead...

I'm sabotaging myself at work unintentionally. I have no skills, I'm a cashier for a living and have no future proof skills. So if I get fired, I'm fucked.

I'm this depressed, angry, sporadic person (happy one day, angry one, sad the next, or a combo of all in one day)
I really need professional help...but I've known this for about seven years now.

I'm such a fucking waste, so much potential, all fucking wasted and wasting away because there's 40 other people in my head screaming thoughts.

"Oh, hey stan_marsh, you feel pretty good for 10 seconds? NOPE."
"Here's all these shitty intrusive thoughts that you can't stop until you drown yourself in weed or alcohol and music"

got hit bad today.. I don't know what triggers it but some days I wake up and I just lose all interest in everything

it's like beyond extreme boredom.. even getting out of bed feels like an enormous effort

Anung

Un Rama
Last therapy session tomorrow and I'm shitting it. Nkt sure what's going to happen when it's done. It's essentially made me worse now than when I started and I wasn't great then either.

Well, the short version is without giving away too much info on the internet.... something I really wanted more than life much isn't happening and I am sad, and worse still things are way worse for the other person. Life is stupid.

Skellybroski88

Neo Member
I have my first session in two weeks. Its been years of procrastination and excuses. I spent yesterday after work lightly sobbing as I set up the appointment. Proceeded to look up another doctor in the area and consider cancelling. Drove half way to the new doctor, decided against it, then decided to drive to the original doctor to calm my nerves and see where I will be going. Got there and decided I was going to cancel, then started sobbing again as I willed myself back home and ultimately decided that I need to just stick with my original appointment. I feel exhausted and emotionally drained.

SpecX

Today fucking sucks for me and I felt it coming along more and more as the days have gone by. My wife has been extra nice to me lately, apologetic about things, and grateful for what I've done for her over the years we've been married. I honestly feel like an asshole and worthless at this point. I feel like everything is a lie and no matter how much good people say I do, it's not true. I've hit a low point where I find no joy in the things I'm doing or enjoyed before.

Life sometimes seems like circles within circles. Patterns within patterns.

Even seeing that, and being stuck in a toxic pattern/circle for something like 7 years, still seeing the pattern come up and repeat itself, I am too pathetically alone to work against it.

As my ex went on a vacation back home her/ our cat is staying at my place for 10 days. I love this cat, don't get me wrong, but she also reminds of all the good times with my ex. We got her four years ago and all these memories are coming back right now. I still remember it as if it was yesterday. That was seriously the only time in my life I was truly happy I think and I fucked it up.

The cat still loves me but I am not sure if I can handle it. I was already feeling down the last couple of days and instead of going to the gym I was heavily drinking but right now it gets even worse minute by minute. It feels like I am drowning.

Any of you in America here know of any actual affordable means of getting psychiatric help, as in talk therapy.

I've was looking into the prospect of therapy when I signed up for a new insurance plan, but sessions with a therapist are still too expensive for me to rely on regularly, and my metal state has been deteriorating at a rate that is become frightening lately. I'd like to not get to a crisis point before I can get some help, but from what I've read, it seem like the help I actually need pretty much doesn't exist in this country if you're poor.

Daria

people at work started more rumors, i heard of them, confronted my managers with them and then ended up doing a no call this morning. i'm regretting it a little bit but i know overall i needed to be happier where i work. time to start looking for a new one

So

Failed out of school, going back to my local community college to get my associates. There is a clause in the dismissal that you might be able to return after gaining your associates, and because I left my CC only 4 credits shy of getting the associates. I'm planning on attempting to get back into the school after I get myself together (hopefully before this semester starts I'll be back on medication).

Fucking sucks. The ADD is absolutely destroying me mentally. Can't focus on anything at work, feels like I"m in school again with the complete inability to get studying or any work done on a time scale that is less than two minutes. And that's only half the fun, because once you start feeling like shit for not being able to do anything, then the depression really kicks in and you'll spend hours in bed, getting into work like 3 hours late.

Also tried to basically feed my ADD hunger with black jack. Note, don't do that. Spend 12 hours one Friday/Saturday morning winning a few hundred bucks, you'll lose all of that the next and feel like an idiot.

Everything is so fucking boring, I literally need constant stimulation to not go crazy.

So

Failed out of school, going back to my local community college to get my associates. There is a clause in the dismissal that you might be able to return after gaining your associates, and because I left my CC only 4 credits shy of getting the associates. I'm planning on attempting to get back into the school after I get myself together (hopefully before this semester starts I'll be back on medication).

Fucking sucks. The ADD is absolutely destroying me mentally. Can't focus on anything at work, feels like I"m in school again with the complete inability to get studying or any work done on a time scale that is less than two minutes. And that's only half the fun, because once you start feeling like shit for not being able to do anything, then the depression really kicks in and you'll spend hours in bed, getting into work like 3 hours late.

Also tried to basically feed my ADD hunger with black jack. Note, don't do that. Spend 12 hours one Friday/Saturday morning winning a few hundred bucks, you'll lose all of that the next and feel like an idiot.

Everything is so fucking boring, I literally need constant stimulation to not go crazy.
My add is hurting me as well. I have a medication for it that I'm going to get refilled and give another try. It's called vyvanse. Are there any other alternatives?

Also I feel like my antidepressant isn't doing much anymore. I don't know what to do. Should i call the doctor? I don't have a psychiatrist where I am.

Choomp

Banned
Hey- here again, first off, the thing that sounded really urgent that I came here a month ago for is kind of okay now. Thanks for the help.

However, something is still bothering me- and this is something that's stupid and I'm sure a lot of people go through. I've been falling through rabbit holes on Facebook and such recently, and I can't help but get overwhelmed and depressed but some of the stuff I see. When I see some of the likes and comments that people get, it's almost disconcerning and anxiety inducing to me. How genuine is that stuff? I never really much of it, but considering how empty the life of my own has been for the past year, i started to think about it. Another thing I notice is that kids from certain kinds of schools(I'm 18) seem to use Facebook a lot. Kinds from expensive, private high schools and big, prestigious colleges tend to seem to have the most activity on there. I guess what's bothering me is, despite the impression social media may give off , everyone has roughly around the same amount of friends/people that love them, right?

Hey- here again, first off, the thing that sounded really urgent that I came here a month ago for is kind of okay now. Thanks for the help.

However, something is still bothering me- and this is something that's stupid and I'm sure a lot of people go through. I've been falling through rabbit holes on Facebook and such recently, and I can't help but get overwhelmed and depressed but some of the stuff I see. When I see some of the likes and comments that people get, it's almost disconcerning and anxiety inducing to me. How genuine is that stuff? I never really much of it, but considering how empty the life of my own has been for the past year, i started to think about it. Another thing I notice is that kids from certain kinds of schools(I'm 18) seem to use Facebook a lot. Kinds from expensive, private high schools and big, prestigious colleges tend to seem to have the most activity on there. I guess what's bothering me is, despite the impression social media may give off , everyone has roughly around the same amount of friends/people that love them, right?

Facebook is proven to deteriorate your mental health because of exactly this. Delete it.

If you can't delete it, remember this. People on social media only post the good things that happen! They are editing their own life and you're only seeing the "I'm so much better than you: Director's Cut" version of their lives. It might be real in the specific instances that are highlighted, but the "whole picture" is a big fat fake.

redlegs87

There's a supervisor position open at work that I'm applying for soon. To think I'd probably second guess myself about it if this was just a year ago. How such a short amount of time can change things. I hope everyone here can keep plugging along and make some strides in their lives.

I don't see likes as anything meaningful considering how it's pretty much a polite gesture of indicating somebody that they don't hate each other so they get their pictures liked back, so just because somebody gets more likes that a fraction of the 1k likes they get are from close friends of even genuine ones.

But yeah I too often get envious and feel inadequate when going into any of my social media accounts that follows people I go to school with(17 year old this year so close enough). Especially rich kids who are smart and have clearly bright futures, so I've deleted 2 of my social media apps, which I'm not sure is the best move considering how I'm basically running away from my fears rather than courageously confronting them.

Bahorel

I lost my job due to layoffs last week and between that and the constant awful world news I feel like there is no future. My depression is eating me alive and I live alone. I turn thirty next week and I feel like there is nothing to look forward to ever again. I hate this. I feel so alone and so detatched.

arigato

I lost my job due to layoffs last week and between that and the constant awful world news I feel like there is no future. My depression is eating me alive and I live alone. I turn thirty next week and I feel like there is nothing to look forward to ever again. I hate this. I feel so alone and so detatched.
I too feel that there isn't any future.
Today fucking sucks for me and I felt it coming along more and more as the days have gone by. My wife has been extra nice to me lately, apologetic about things, and grateful for what I've done for her over the years we've been married. I honestly feel like an asshole and worthless at this point. I feel like everything is a lie and no matter how much good people say I do, it's not true. I've hit a low point where I find no joy in the things I'm doing or enjoyed before.
Now imagine having relentless anhedonia for the last six years and that's basically me.. Feels as if I haven't slept in months, breathing shouldn't take so much effort.

Plum

I feel like I need to get off this website. Every fucking day it's the constant cycle of getting into an argument, getting annoyed at the argument and then leaving said argument with no-one having changed their minds and nothing having been achieved. The thing is though is that it's easy and I'm too much of a lazy bastard to do much else even though I know I'm the kind of person to get worked up over things too easily.

Maybe a ban request could do but I don't know, I've tried that before on other sites and it always ends up with me back and doing the exact same thing. All I know is that, a lot of the time, this place is far from good for my mental health.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
There's a supervisor position open at work that I'm applying for soon. To think I'd probably second guess myself about it if this was just a year ago. How such a short amount of time can change things. I hope everyone here can keep plugging along and make some strides in their lives.
You should apply. Companies usually like to hire in house since they know their own employees

As for me. Trying to live each day. It sucks. I want to go back to the gym but fear and anxiety takes over. I keep thinking I'm too fat to be there or there are too many attractive dudes there which will make me hate myself.

Bahorel

You should apply. Companies usually like to hire in house since they know their own employees

As for me. Trying to live each day. It sucks. I want to go back to the gym but fear and anxiety takes over. I keep thinking I'm too fat to be there or there are too many attractive dudes there which will make me hate myself.

Please don't think that about yourself, but I know it's hard not to feel that way. Have you thought about running? I have a running trail near enough to me and I've been attempting to jog about 2.5 miles a day. I've noticed it's helped me lose weight and I don't have to look in any mirrors and the people who are out there are mostly just people walking their dogs, so I don't feel intimidated. Plus I feel like being outside helps me depression wise, because a change in scenery can make a big difference just for a little bit.

Also I'm not kidding but doing stuff like Just Dance (or other home workouts, there are many on YouTube for floor exercises) can work too. I did an hour of Just Dance last night because I forgot to go jogging before sunset.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Please don't think that about yourself, but I know it's hard not to feel that way. Have you thought about running? I have a running trail near enough to me and I've been attempting to jog about 2.5 miles a day. I've noticed it's helped me lose weight and I don't have to look in any mirrors and the people who are out there are mostly just people walking their dogs, so I don't feel intimidated. Plus I feel like being outside helps me depression wise, because a change in scenery can make a big difference just for a little bit.

Also I'm not kidding but doing stuff like Just Dance (or other home workouts, there are many on YouTube for floor exercises) can work too. I did an hour of Just Dance last night because I forgot to go jogging before sunset.

yeah I try do my exercising outside cause I'm too intimidated by gyms

Jogging puts too much stress on my legs and i give up too easily. i joined a gym last month and haven't been back since. I want to do some weight training to build muscle to help burn fat then after losing some pounds do some cardio. I've been watching youtube videos like obese to beast and danny gets fit.

Anyone ever think or feel that they failed in life? Just looking at some friend's Facebook feeds. One friend moved to California to start a new life and another just bought a house.

13ruce

Banned
I have ADHD but luckily i can manage fine and gaming keeps me afloat too. And since i exercise and weightlift 3 times a week or so i feel very good and it helps with my cocentration/focus problem. Going back to school soon to and get some good papers for the future. I messed up some schools and the last one was because of my father having a near dead experience with his kidney failures but i am doing good now.

Video games helped me alot in my childhood and whenever is was depressed or had alot of stressfull periods like my parents divorcing i always had videogames and my friends to go out with and ofcourse play games with so it was all good. It's why i also have a couple of Zelda tattoo's and will soon get 1 more Zelda tattoo and a Splatoon one since thatgame also helped me through a tough situation (the one with my father havin kidney failures). And i just love Splatoon:p

Luckily i look pretty casual and come over pretty mainstream to people so no one notices i have adhd or cares about me havin a few video game tattoo's they even like em. But the tattoo part is thanks to the awesome artist i go to it sure is expensive but yeah i did certainly not want to have em turn out like those famous videogame meme tats.

Anyway i am happy and life is going great again can't wait to pick up school again finish college and maybe even go to university or get a master/bachelor degree after that. Sure i will probably be 28-29 when finished but i rather have a nice job with a good payout than struggle for life like my parents currebtly money wise. I am 22 btw (Male).

And for the people wondering i have a imp midna tattoo on my upper right arm, a wolf link head portret on my right upper chest and will soon get midna's true form on my ribs and squid sisters on my back right shoulder. Those are the last 2 i also have a tribal on my left arm to my chest (means nothing but looks cool lol yeah i know it was a trend but atleast i have a few tats with great meanings to me now:p and honestly it looks nice along the other ones).

I did wish in the past sometimes for my adhd to go away but nowadays i can manage fine with it as a child and teen i had alot trouble with it but as i grown up i have grown to sort of adjust and deal with it. I however don't care about havin it anymore it's a part of me and not some sickness. Sure my concentration and the other things that belong to adhd might not be the best like a "normal person" but it does not make me a lesser human being or something like that. Heck i can now perfectly function without meds wich i am very happy with cuz those made me act like a zombie sort of lol.

Sorry for the big post:p just wanted to tell my part.

Violet_0

Banned
I'm probably going to hospitalize or institutionalize myself. Anything I should know about what to expect, or the cost?

someone from my family got institutionalized (against his will, made a scene when he was seeing his therapist). Called me on Christmas morning the next day to pick him up, since they wouldn't let him leave on his own

a few weeks later he went back voluntarily and stayed at the clinic for a couple months. He doesn't really want to talk to me about anything concerning his mental problems, but he claims that it helped him in some ways. They plan out most of the day for you, some menial activies like a book binding course, lots of group session and one-to-one talks with therapists. Regular drug screenings. Those who were there voluntarily were allowed to leave at any time, but had to stay at the clinic overnight on weekdays (on weekends he went back to his appartment)

no costs were involved, but I should mention that this was in Vienna, Austria

I think it would be a good idea to call and ask them how they run things

My parents are fighting with each other on whether or not my father can kick me out onto the street.

Christ, I just want to disappear, have my own agency, financial freedom. Start over somewhere.

I'm so fucking tired of living and being sick and tired and everything else, it's shit.

I'm so fucking tired you guys.

I have my finals (second chance for all my failed exams) starting in 19 days, supposed to start studying 2 weeks ago but did almost nothing and it feels like I will not do a lot if my anxiety and lack of motivation prevent me for studying. If I screw up this year it's game over so the pressure is huge

Hamarr

Neo Member
I don't post here much, but have been lurking for a bit. I hope it's okay if I post in here.

I have been working with a few different therapists over the past couple of years but just can't get past intense self hatred and suicidal ideation. I also have some weight issues. I keep sabotaging myself thinking if things aren't going to turn around I can always off myself.

The suicidal thoughts have been pretty strong lately. I was going through a foreclosure but may have found a buyer. Now I am looking for a place to rent where I can keep my dog. Someone told me I was resilient, but I always feel like I'm about to fall apart. I need to be out of my house by August 7th and most places I have looked won't be open for another month. I have no friends or family to stay wait. I might have to float by in a hotel or airbnb or something.

N° 2048

I don't post here much, but have been lurking for a bit. I hope it's okay if I post in here.

I have been working with a few different therapists over the past couple of years but just can't get past intense self hatred and suicidal ideation. I also have some weight issues. I keep sabotaging myself thinking if things aren't going to turn around I can always off myself.

The suicidal thoughts have been pretty strong lately. I was going through a foreclosure but may have found a buyer. Now I am looking for a place to rent where I can keep my dog. Someone told me I was resilient, but I always feel like I'm about to fall apart. I need to be out of my house by August 7th and most places I have looked won't be open for another month. I have no friends or family to stay wait. I might have to float by in a hotel or airbnb or something.

Of course it's ok for you to post here <3.

Just want to vent about something so I can move past it.

So in a meme chat a friend sent something which I considered to be pretty shitty. It was (TW: Transphobia maybe?) a YouTube header of 'are genital preferences Transphobic?' and then a dude reading it, slowly morphing into
Hitler then saying 'ready the ovens'.

I found it to be in super bad taste but it's upsetting me way more than it should be. I've come to accept I'm far more 'SJW' or whatever the most of the people I know but seeing people spout that shit even 'just for jokes' always makes me feel sad. I don't even particularly agree with the genital preferences point but still, bringing the Holocaust into it is just...

Never any point arguing against it as well because I'm shit at that I always end up somehow being wrong. Guess it just sucks to see your friends being like that on pride parade day of all days.

Wag

Had a date and it went as usual.

It seemed like my date was pretty understanding, and she asked me why I was still single and I told her I've had ongoing health problems that interfered but I was feeling better. She then proceeded to ask me what the problems were- so, I told her I'm dealing with issues of anxiety and depression. Well, I could see that look come over her, "What do you have to be anxious and depressed about?". It was over.

Things got even worse from there, but you have the idea. What started out as a date- she was clearly into me, and then she immediately told me we were friends.

Every single time...

People suck.

jb1234

Had a date and it went as usual.

It seemed like my date was pretty understanding, and she asked me why I was still single and I told her I've had ongoing health problems that interfered but I was feeling better. She then proceeded to ask me what the problems were- so, I told her I'm dealing with issues of anxiety and depression. Well, I could see that look come over her, "What do you have to be anxious and depressed about?". It was over.

Things got even worse from there, but you have the idea. What started out as a date- she was clearly into me, and then she immediately told me we were friends.

Every single time...

People suck.

I sympathize. When I've dated (which granted, hasn't been much), I've saved talking about my health issues for later dates. I don't want to scare the person off early. They're more likely to be understanding and tolerant after they've gotten to know you a little better.

If someone asks why you're still single, just tell them you haven't found the right person yet (which is true).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom