• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stargate: Origins Announced at SDCC

Ernest goes through the gate some 20-25 years after this is suppose to be taking place. Political wrangling, probably. 10 minutes isnt going to fill itself, but without rewriting Stargate history to do it, that gate isnt opening.

My reading of those statements says this show will start at the discovery of the gate and end with the setting up of the events of the film/SGC, so it will incorporate this

We... already know this story, though. They dial a ton of wrong numbers, finally get one right, send a dude through and he vanishes. It's Stargate sans Gate travel.

And it's tied to a paid subscription service...?

What's even the point seriously.

I hate prequels so much when there is so much established canon already and opportunity to extend it.

It's the same with Star Trek: Discovery that although I am excited for still disappointed when they said it's now going to be 10 years before TOS, I don't know anyone that wants prequels to these franchises.

jelly

Ouch.

If they are testing the waters to see if it's worth doing a bigger TV series then that's a silver lining but have web series ever done that?

A production scale up, that a thing?

Should just reboot the whole thing. Collaborate with Netflix.

AFAIK they would have done tests on the gate and eventually sent through Ernest Littlefield.

That's it?

Judging by the poster I doubt they even cover that.

Faynwulf

Even though we know what happened, I'll still watch it out of loyality. I mean it's part of the TV canon. A few days ago we all thought we'd never see anything new from that ever again.
Maybe we'll get more if this becomes popular enough.

So... a TV movie, hacked up into 10 minutes chunks, about them digging up the gate in the 20's? I'll watch it (if it's free) but that's probably the least Sci-Fi thing they could do with the StarGate franchise.

It's the online streaming service thing that confuses me.

Krakn3Dfx

This doesn't seem to represent what people come to Stargate for at all. It's like they're working towards failure with this one.

xrnzaaas

Didn't BSG try these 10 min episodes with Blood and Chrome?

I'll wait until they merge them all together to not watch then.

Yes and Sanctuary also started out as a web-series. But that was in 2012 and 2007 respectively. Times have changed since we got Netflix and other streaming services.

Lol a Stargate only streaming service. Goddamnit it's just Cable tv model all over again

All you fuckers wanted a la carte without realizing what you were gonna get in such a market. Now instead of paying $80 a month for 500 channels when only watch 3 you're instead paying for 8 $9.99 a month streaming services that only give you half the content you want.

All you fuckers wanted a la carte without realizing what you were gonna get in such a market. Now instead of paying $80 a month for 500 channels when only watch 3 you're instead paying for 8 $9.99 a month streaming services that only give you half the content you want.

Yep. This was always going to be the result

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

Look at it this way. When it fails it won't show up on any other service again because of the exclusivity contracts they created with the new streaming service then we can lose access to everything we might care about!

Busty

Banned
-Stargate: Origins is a prequel, focusing on Catherine Langford, who was there in 1928 when her father discovered the Stargate
-10x10 minute series, singular story

-Set in 1928
-Part of existing canon, i.e. SG-1, Atlantis, SGU
-Aimed to air in Fall 2017
-Will air on Stargate: Command, a new streaming service, with free and paid aspects

I honestly cannot decide if this is a good idea or not. I'm all for experimenting in short form scripted content for digital distribution be it a platform like this or Snapchat or whatever but this just feels like MGM chopping up a DTV movie for a glorified Youtube channel.

Is the Stargate community big enough to support a digital platform like this albeit a free, ad supported one? And how can they generate enough content to keep something like this going.

It's nice that MGM are at least trying something new but it all feels a little half baked to me.

davepoobond

I honestly cannot decide if this is a good idea or not. I'm all for experimenting in short form scripted content for digital distribution be it a platform like this or Snapchat or whatever but this just feels like MGM chopping up a DTV movie for a glorified Youtube channel.

Is the Stargate community big enough to support a digital platform like this albeit a free, ad supported one? And how can they generate enough content to keep something like this going.

It's nice that MGM are at least trying something new but it all feels a little half baked to me.

I guess it really depends on how they offer the steaming. If we can stream everything for free but with ads they have to offer widescreen/HD versions of every episode to be worth it. But they are probably just gonna pull the show from everywhere else so there won't be any other option.

A steaming service dedicated to one show is probably going to have to do a lot of things right to get steady income and steady content created

DBT85

The difference being in this case, I already have all of Stargate at my fingertips anywhere in the world. I don't have everything that Netflix has.

Kevin

As I posted in the other thread...

It is absolutely ridiculous that they are asking fans to pay for a subscription service to watch a small webseries. This is what I call holding a franchise hostage. I mean just how greedy can companies get? This web series sounds like one of those small web series you release free on YouTube to help promote the real "larger" show. Like when they had Battlestar Galactica or Heroes webisodes or more recently Fear the Walking Dead webisodes that helped promote the main show.

If they release a cheap $10 Blu-Ray set of this then I may grab that and watch it but that's about it. I won't even consider paying an actual subscription price for this. Even if they have other content on this new unknown platform, this is still absurd. I won't be surprised if these webisodes are super cheap and low budget looking as well.

I honestly had very low expectations for this Stargate news but I find this unveil to be a complete insult to long-time Stargate fans and consumers in general. A hard pass from me!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As I posted in the other thread...

It is absolutely ridiculous that they are asking fans to pay for a subscription service to watch a small webseries. This is what I call holding a franchise hostage. I mean just how greedy can companies get? This web series sounds like one of those small web series you release free on YouTube to help promote the real "larger" show. Like when they had Battlestar Galactica or Heroes webisodes or more recently Fear the Walking Dead webisodes that helped promote the main show.

If they release a cheap $10 Blu-Ray set of this then I may grab that and watch it but that's about it. I won't even consider paying an actual subscription price for this. Even if they have other content on this new unknown platform, this is still absurd. I won't be surprised if these webisodes are super cheap and low budget looking as well.

I honestly had very low expectations for this Stargate news but I find this unveil to be a complete insult to long-time Stargate fans and consumers in general. A hard pass from me!

We don’t know if this will be behind a paywall. They said the service as a mix of free and paid content. So it’s possible they use this as a free taster to get you onto the service to see what else they have
probably stargate stuff

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
So I am still in mild disbelief I live in a world which will have Catherine Langford web series by the end of 2017.

Wag

And now I have a great idea for a PUBG mod lol.

Anyway, for me it's something. Could be a test run for more to come. The premise itself is OK i guess as well, i always liked Stargate lore.

You're welcome.

They could have done a million different things with Stargate but they probably did this for financial reasons. Too bad- it would have been nice to see a series set in one of the parallel dimensions or something.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I was excited, then I realized it'll be a origin story and thought maybe its set before the uprising with Ra', could be interesting
Then I read the details......10x10 minute episodes with Catherine Langford, what?
And that poster has a woman who is obviously Catherine with a gun holster about to go through the gate.
giphy.gif

Makes no fucking sense and completely shits on both the Film and the TV series, eventhou her would be partner accidentally manage to go through during a test and disappeared until SG-1 found him which still didn't make sense.
No Dr. Jackson, no Star Gate after it was buried.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I was excited, then I realized it'll be a origin story and thought maybe its set before the uprising with Ra', could be interesting
Then I read the details......10x10 minute episodes with Catherine Langford, what?
And that poster has a woman who is obviously Catherine with a gun holster about to go through the gate.
giphy.gif

Makes no fucking sense and completely shits on both the Film and the TV series, eventhou her would be partner accidentally manage to go through during a test and disappeared until SG-1 found him which still didn't make sense.
No Dr. Jackson, no Star Gate after it was buried.
Indeed.

DBT85

Not sure Stargate is popular enough to get the full treatment like TNG was either. All depends what masters they've got.might be like Farscape where all they've got are the digibeta masters so the bluray was just an upscale from a good SD source. If they've got the film with the effects embedded then at least the life action stuff would look good.

davepoobond

Not sure Stargate is popular enough to get the full treatment like TNG was either. All depends what masters they've got.might be like Farscape where all they've got are the digibeta masters so the bluray was just an upscale from a good SD source. If they've got the film with the effects embedded then at least the life action stuff would look good.

A lot of the old CG was pretty bad, but it was only really bad for a couple seasons. Might be a better way to go than "true" HD if they care about how that looks

Top Bottom