• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John McCain has Brain Cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Median survival rate for a glioblastoma in a middle-aged man is about 11 months (Ted Kennedy lasted about that long). McCain is 80. This is assuming it hasn't yet metastasized and that it is correctly identified and not some non-brain cancer local to the brain [initial diagnoses are often incorrect about the specific pathology]. My guess would be he'll be gone this year.

According to the blurb at the top of the cnn website it was an aggressive tumor that was removed and the same type Ted Kennedy had.

Well shit.

Any cancer sucks and I wish him the best. But at his age the outlook is pretty bleak. Need to realistically assume he's doesn't have too much time left.

marrec

Banned
Glioblastoma, that's the most aggressive form of brain cancer. Combined with his age and the already extremely low survival rate, his chance of survival isn't good

Normal patients at his age with this diagnosis just get palliative care with minor radiation and chemo treatments to try and increase comfort.

I imagine Mr. McCain will likely get a more aggressive treatment.

The other thread about his sickness and the snide comments made me sick. His politics maybe questionable, but this man has served this country militarily and is a good man.

God bless Mr McCain

Oh shit, that's the worst kind of cancer. I wish him all the luck in the world, even if we are on opposite sides of the political spectrum.

Which is precisely why people saying harsh stuff in the order thread was so damn deplorable.
Do we all look like fucking fortune tellers to you or what? Nobody knew then, man.

Which is precisely why people saying harsh stuff in the order thread was so damn deplorable.
I don't feel bad for my sentiments at all. Sucks he has cancer, but sucks even more he's fallen in line with a white supremacist and is hell-bent on stripping insurance from millions.

You're free to feel sorry for him despite that, though.

My level of deplorableness pales in comparison to that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dude ought to quit. It's obvious he is not in his faculties to exercise his job duties and hasn't been for a long time.

Hope for a speedy recovery.

JoeBoy101

Well, that makes responses in these two threads from earlier this week even more disgusting.

Sorry to hear this and wishing him the best, though it doesn't look good.

ElectricBlanketFire said:
Please. Nobody knew at the time.

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Those threads are about a blood clot he suffered which is a very serious health problem, and sadly, a possible indicator here. Let's not act like it was a routine procedure.

kmfdmpig

He won re-election in 2016 so if he steps down for health reasons it's special election time, but given that he carried that seat by double digits I wouldn't expect it to swing by enough to favor a democratic candidate.

Arizona, where I live, is a very red state. Less so in 2016 as Trump was awful in general, and particularly unappealing to Latino and LDS voters (both of which are larger groups in AZ than nationally). I doubt we'll see a Democratic Senator from AZ any time soon, however.

Noobcraft

Glioblastomas are difficult cancers. His options are pretty limited for treatment because it's in the brain. I'm not a medical expert (I have done brain cancer research in a lab) but afaik Glioblastomas are considered incurable and the median survival is something like 2 years. They'll probably put him on temozolomide + radiation. Possibly proton beam therapy too.

Drain You

Damn I hope he fares as well as he possibly can. Regardless of wether or not you believe in his views, I think we can all agree, fuck cancer.

CazTGG

He won re-election in 2016 so if he steps down for health reasons it's special election time, but given that he carried that seat by double digits I wouldn't expect it to swing by enough to favor a democratic candidate.

Didn't Ted Kennedy's seat, a seat held by one of the longest serving Democratic senators in U.S. history, go to a Republican back in the 2010 special election? I'm not saying it'd be simple (2010's election was close), but the general swing in house specials have shown that things are swinging in favor of the Democrats.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wish him the best. Cancer needs to be eliminated ASAP. Is such a thing possible? Maybe not, but one can dream.

Cancer is actually many different diseases all of which respond to different treatments and likely will have different cures. One of the difficulties with a glioblastoma is that because the tumour is near the brain, surgeons risk killing the patients to achieve total resection, so the quantity of tumour that is resected is often lower than tumours in other less vital regions. Chemo and radiotherapy, especially methylation, are associated with slower tumour growth and shrinkage but these don't go away. The best case scenario for an 80 year old glio patient is that the treatment delays death from glio long enough that something else kills them. True remission is unlikely and the 3-5 year survival rate even among healthy adults is single-digits with the ten year survival rate being approximately zero.

ghostmind

This is the most aggressive form of brain cancer that one can get.

This is what Beau Biden died from.

This is not a question of "if", this is a question of "when"

Well, that makes responses in these two threads from earlier this week even more disgusting.

Sorry to hear this and wishing him the best, though it doesn't look good.

I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone and hope he recovers.

However, getting sick doesn't erase all the nasty shit's someone's done in his or her life. He still wanted to deprive millions of other people of their health care. We can also point out his hypocrisy in receiving premier medical treatment yet not wanting to afford other people the same right.

Illness and death don't retroactively make someone a good person.

At his age getting cancer almost approaches 100%. It's terrible, and I feel sad for him despite his political stance in many issues. It also explains the strange behavior from him in the recent past. I hope he recovers, but the odds are against him unfortunately.

Service member, war veteran, Pow, not a bad presidential nominees as far as Republicans go and at least had to balls to walk out on Trump even if he took other insults laying down. Guy is one of the few non awful republicans Left out there.

cucuchu

We need to dedicate real resources to developing true counters to cancer. Its taken far too many from their loved ones and to have to just watch your family or friend's life just slowly fade out them while they have to deal with unimaginable pain is horrendous.

McCain is tough though and I've always felt he is too stubborn to die. Hope he pulls through.

I don't respects his politics but I respect his service and he did something for my dad that my dad will never forget.

Hate to see anyone suffer with this kind of stuff.

Boke1879

So goddamn petty. Cmon y'all.

Yep. What moral high ground do people think hey have when they act like this

Honestly. Who gives a shit what someone else in another thread said. It's not like their comments created the cancer and it's not like taking anything back will help in his recovery.

People need to get over this "gotcha" mentality.

All I'll say about this is that if he's able to return to the Senate. Hopefully he feels the American public should have the same access to care that he has.

Africanus

Anyone wishing death? Yes, I disagree.

However, those making remarks about healthcare or even apathy towards him are not off the mark. It's a tragic thing brain cancer, but that doesn't excuse him allowing millions of other Americans to go through even worse experiences.

My father died last year of prostate cancer. I'm still swamped in bills from it. I can't imagine stripping our poor health insurance system even more. So to that I say that the schadenfreude was not all unwarranted.

He ought to use his time wiser now to fight for those in situations as he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom