• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How fit are you?

• Thread starter Deleted member 325805
  • Start date
Übermatik;244086919 said:
I... actually don't know.

My BMI is right where it should be (maybe sliiiiightly underweight), blood pressure is great, general fitness fine... but I don't exercise. Best I do is maybe 4 hours of walking outdoors a week, which is really not enough.
I feel I need a sport or an outlet, anything, to keep me occupied and healthier. Might get a gym membership, just to tone up some and keep steady.

Good idea. You can be naturally pretty healthy when you're young, but intentional exercise becomes more important the older you get.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well I just did something I've been avoiding for months, I weighed myself. I'm actually 244lbs, up from 238lbs the last time I checked. I have been eating terribly for awhile now. At my heaviest I was 320lbs, at my lowest I was 205lbs which is when I felt great. I am officially back in the obese category and I could cry. Nothing scares me more than gaining it all back and I'm on that path right now.

Full stats:

6ft 3"
244lbs
48" chest
46.5" waist

It hurts me to look at these numbers, which is why I decided to finally take them, maybe now I can get back on track.

5xdsgro.png

I'm putting this as my desktop wallpaper as a reminder.

Aiii

So not worth it
Starting walking to and from work and during lunch for a total of 1,5 hours every (work)day, I've got stamina for days.

aember

Kind of fit.

Before I joined the military I used to be hella unfit. I was amazing at 100m sprints, but anything else was a great big "are you okay?", even opening a jar of pickles. :p

During my time as a conscript I went from unfit to fit pretty quickly, while somehow managing to maintain the body of someone who sits on their ass 24/7.

Last year started work in IT and my weight very quickly clocked in. Signing up for the NDVF (think National Guard) helped me reign it in, have been sitting at 85kg of pure fat for the past few months now.

Over the last month, though , hitting the gym in our office, I've been pretty rapidly building back up to how I used to be before I started work, so I'd say I'm about 3/5 of the way to where I could consider myself fit again.

I can run for a good 2 hours at a steady pace, not fast, but definitely faster than speed walking.

Good idea. You can be naturally pretty healthy when you're young, but intentional exercise becomes more important the older you get.

Yeah, I agree. I think I take my health for granted a little bit. Even at my young age I've still got the fitness/VO2 of someone younger, if that site posted above is anything to go off.

Like, I feel fine. Good, even - but the truth is that I could be doing more. I'd rather capitalise on these opportunities now before I get older. Like I said, I'd like to engage in some regular sport, but the opportunities near me are sorta limited. I used to live in a city, with access to university level facilities, but I was too dumb to take advantage of them - a lot of which was to do with my depression and anxiety about my self image. Some of that has passed now, so maybe now is the time. Anyway this has gone way out on a tangent haha.

I can run up multiple flights of stairs and be fine, I walk a lot so thats good. Im at the top end of normal BMI like maybe one unit under obese/fat or whatever the one above it is.

Don't have a double chin or anything, just a bit of a beer gut. My weight fluctuates really wildly. I can diet for 3 or 4 days and look visibly different. Goes the other way too of course.

Crazy body.

https://www.worldfitnesslevel.org/ seems to be a depressing insight into the general fitness level of people rather than an accurate messurement of health. I'm 30 with a 29 BMI, but even though I am bordering on an obese BMI the fact that I work out three times a week put my level of health at 20 year old or lower. I hope that an average 20 year old person is in considerably better shape than me.

On the plus side when I input the stats for what they would have been last year it estimates me at 50, which I consider pretty accurate based on how I felt back then.

32 years old / 193cm (6' 4") / 84kg (185lbs)
I run 5-6 times a week and walk everywhere.
I've never lifted or joined a gym in my life :lol
Eat well, only drink water, don't smoke, have shitty sleep (5hr per night avg. for the whole year)

FapLMET.png

5HOhmzw.png

I seem to be doing okay, generally feel pretty good... although right now I'm lying in bed feeling sick as hell :'(

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, I really don't know how to accurately gauge this. Should I say my body weight and height along with how much in weight I do at the gym? How much I run outside? I don't know my body fat. My BMI is pretty inaccurate.

Goofalo

I'm 41. I have had a major heart attack, and am on the tail end of linger cardiac issues (I think).

I run 4 to 5 times a week. 3 times a week, I do drills, like windsprints up and down a hill with a weighted vest of 25 lbs or so.

My average run is 4 - 6 miles each time? My pace varies, I take breaks in the running if my heart rate gets too high. So, maybe 10 minutes a mile altogether. I recently ran a little over 6 miles straight and my pace was 6:58 per mile.

Next week, I've got clearance to go back to jiujitsu, so I'll start twice a week. So an hour and a half per class.

I weighed 270 lbs in 2016, and now weigh 210 lbs. But, most of that weight loss was due to illness. Actually, I dropped down to 147 lbs, and have worked my way back up to 210 lbs.

Oxn

Starting walking to and from work and during lunch for a total of 1,5 hours every (work)day, I've got stamina for days.

I do the exact same thing, but seeing how long you can walk doesnt prove stamina one bit.

Try jogging for 5minutes and you (might) be dying for breath.

Jakeh111

I'm trying to get fitter, well more muscle. I'm somewhat skinny fat so been doing Stronglifts 5x5 3 times a week for awhile now.

RulkezX

I run Ultramarathons/endurance events here in Scotland and lift 3 times a week. I'm fitter than most and still have a borderline obese BMI 💪💪💪💪

Staf

I'm in ok shape. 32 years old, 173cm tall, weight 69 kg and goes to the gym 4 times a week plus at least one cardio workout a week.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Pretty damn good I would say. I'll be 45 in September but still play ball regularly (and being off summers as a teacher, this means every day now just about) and I lift heavy 3-4 times a week. I'm 5'9 and a solid 185.

I'm actually pretty fit. I workout 6 times a week, have a healthy diet, care about nutrition and love fitness lifestyle.

����

EDIT: Do we have a Fitness GAF OT?

I'm ok. Exercise about two or three times a week and I have a very healthy diet.

I'm not a gym guy so I'm not muscular, just healthy.

Oppo

FapLMET.png

5HOhmzw.png

I seem to be doing okay, generally feel pretty good... although right now I'm lying in bed feeling sick as hell :'(

This site is guessing kinda high, btw. It put me at VO2 Max of 53, but I'm a lot more inclined to believe my Garmin watch (49). That score pictued above is like marathon runner territory.

Mr. Sam

I run three times a week, lift three times a week, and my diet is pretty diabolical but not as bad as it could be. I'm training for my first marathon right now, which helps as motivation (I find I'm less likely to stick to an exercise regime if I don't have something to train for).

Lamel

Banned
Currently at my peak and only improving.

6 min mile.
10.2s 100 m sprint - edit: timed by a friend, so take it with a pinch of salt before people start recruiting me ;)
25 pull ups.
All heavy lifts intermediate to advanced.

Chyeah man.

10.2s 100 m sprint.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I call BS on that one. That's better than 1st place at most national championships. 10.8 would win some HS State championships.
Best I ever ran was 11.3, and that was in my prime (and a slight breeze on my back haha).

I'm fairly fit. Fell out of fitness for a couple years after getting married, now I'm back in it. Running 5ks, doing calisthenics every day. 6'2, 160 lbs.

Turning 30 in a few, I'm 6'5" and my current weight is at 273lbs (I'm considered Obese). Starting to get fit, but not where I want to be. After seeing one of our fellow gaffers lose a great amount of weight, that gave me the motivation, I was 285 lbs at the time of seeing that thread.
I exercise 5 days a week (30 mins jump rope and 50 mins full body workout), my diet is insanely more healthier from what it was a few months back and I'm able to fit in my old jeans again.

I'm pretty fit. Watch what I eat, lift, run, etc. Definitely want to stay like this as I get older.

Heh. The worst comments I get is when people say, "Oh just wait until you are 30/older. You can keep that up."

Please. Just because you can't doesn't mean I won't be able to.

Aiii

So not worth it
I do the exact same thing, but seeing how long you can walk doesnt prove stamina one bit.

Try jogging for 5minutes and you (might) be dying for breath.

I'm not and unless you're walking like an old man I don't see how you would be either. You should be hitting at least under 10 minutes per kilometer walked if you're walking 90 minutes a day.

For the record, I take brisk walks, not strolls.

Actually currently in the best shape of my life I believe:

33 yrs
6'1"
172 lbs

I've been involved in several martial arts over the years but got really invested in Muay Thai about 6 years ago. I've sadly only competed twice so far due to work schedules and so on, but am currently getting really ramping up again to training 4 to 5 times per week and eyeing a fight if possible in a few months.

I don't really particularly lift or anything outside of whatever conditioning my trainer puts me and the other advanced guys through that week. I'd really like to get into proper weight lifting but feel like I'd half ass it with all my free-time spent on Muay Thai.

I guess I should add I'm *mostly* vegetarian.

EDIT: My biggest vice is probably alcohol. I have a beer every other day or so and like to tie one on once a month maybe.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I'm thin, but I have a horrible diet and don't work out as much as I should. My friends and family would scoff at the idea, but I'd say I'm in bad shape.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
30 year old, 5'8 and 180lbs. BMI shows as 27 (moderate).

I cycle 5 miles daily after work and do some light weights to keep myself toned. No six pack here (I can't keep a strict diet like that) but I work out enough to make sure I never start showing a belly.

I'm happy with my fitness :)

GonzoCR

Much better than I was a few years ago, but still a lot of work to be done. Need to improve my eating and drinking habits. Don't smoke or drink alcohol but I do drink a lot of trash like Hi-C which disrupts weight loss as I generally eat healthy. I do need to get some veggies in my diet, but it's really hard when I'm so busy with university. Planning to get back into Muay Thai classes, those things were 1.5 hours of ridiculously intense exercise. I was losing a lot of weight when I was doing that plus gym 3+ times a week.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Chronic heart issues preventing strenous exercise.

I do what i can. 24, fitness of a 33yo.

KiKaL

I am 30 and consider myself very fit. I run ~30 miles a week and workout 2-3 times a week.

I do a lot of obstacle course races and tend to side on the heavy endurance versions. In the past year my bigger races have been Killington Spartan Beast, 15miles, 6,000 ft of elevation and ~30 obstacles, New Jersey Spartan Ultra Beast, 29miles, 8,000ft of elevation gain and in a month I will be doing Toughest Mudder which is a 5mile course with 17 obstacles that you attempt as many laps as possible between 12am - 8am. I hope to hit 30-35miles. I generally place in the top 50's of about 5,000 people.

Before Obstacle course racing I could barely run a mile. I now do half marathons without a second thought. I am down to 160lb when at my worst I was 200lb. I highly recommend signing up for a race. It is highly motivating.

I’m 35, 5’10”, 165. I’m fit but I don’t have a ripped body. Don’t know if I’ll ever get there, but I go to the gym 6 days a week, sometimes 7 with an extra cardio day. Strength training, running and other forms of cardio. Just try to stay consistent.

I have some denfitnion but my love handles and a small layer of fat on my stomach have always been a thing that has been hard to get rid of. It stresses me out but I really shouldn’t worry about it that much.

Lamel

Banned
That's a a terribad mile for that 100m time.

I know, my longer distance running has always lagged :(

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I call BS on that one. That's better than 1st place at most national championships. 10.8 would win some HS State championships.

Well this most recent value was timed by my friend so honestly it's prob not accurate haha, but let me have it man. My best "official" time was in HS when it was 10.8. Close enough.

Edit: now that I think back to HS, there were a few guys who had even better times than 10.8. I dunno if it's that rare.

KorrZ

I work out on a regular basis (3-4 times per week) and have a BMI of 24.

So I feel like I'm decently fit, however I would definitely like to tone myself up more. Specifically I'm having a hard time getting rid of the body fat around my stomach, which is pretty much the only fat I have left on my body. Drives me crazy!

Gabbelgak

I feel I'm not in terrible shape but certainly could be better. I don't eat the greatest is what's really holding me back.

34 Years Old
5'11
200lbs average

Still have a bit of a gut would like to hit 180 but the struggle is real.

Bike to work daily (not far) also bike to stores etc.

Signed up for my first triathlon (sprint) which I do in 8 days actually.

Never been big on muscle training but I really enjoy cardio - run, bike, swim or hike like 4-5 days a week.

Kneck

I'm very, very skeptical that you could run this fast while only running once per week and only being "kinda fit". That's 3:08 minutes per km pace, you would win my local 5k race by a wide margin every weekend going that fast.

Haha yea. I get that you are skeptical.
But it's indeed not a normal pace what I run though.
It's just over the years I wanted to run the 8km as fast as I could. I run the same 8km for almost 10 years now. It's not like I just do it since a month.

The "kinda fit" is just because I'm really skinny though.

And I'm not only running the 8km once a week. I play football too.

But think what you want.

Lamel

Banned
10.2s 100m is insanely fast. Do you run track?
Haha look at my post above, this is prob an inaccurate time. But yeah I played sports throughout HS and have sprinted regularly since then. Found it to be the best form of cardio for me. But it has left my knees messed up.

Top Bottom