• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Niblet

I just unlocked an asari adept and was wondering what type of load out I should be looking at? I see a lot of people with sniper rifles, but in my experience with vanguards you want as high recharge rate as possible if you've got any kind of biotics.

Don't have one, but here is what I know:

Stasis is the most broken multiplayer ability. Get the stasis bubble upgrade and the cooldown decrease (35%) upgrade. These are a must.

The reason you see players using sniper rifles (particularly the rare "Widow" sniper rifle) is that stasis completely immobilizes the target, allowing for absurdly easy headshots. If you have the Carnifex pistol (it is a gold card item, meaning it is rare to get from veteran packs), it is recommended you use that for the lower cooldown time.

Woo-Fu

Banned
The lvl 20 cap works perfectly for Human Vanguard also as you won't need shockwave at all.
You can go beyond cap with exp boosts in the packs, I think. I had my infiltrator up to level 20 2 days ago and just today I had more points to spend on him. I'm assuming those points came from the infiltrator exp boosts I've gotten since then from packs.

If my goal is to simply get an Asari Adept, would I have a better chance getting it through Recruit Packs or Veteran Packs? I really want one, dagnammit. My Male Adept is already level 20 and he's all I play with.

Stantron

If my goal is to simply get an Asari Adept, would I have a better chance getting it through Recruit Packs or Veteran Packs? I really want one, dagnammit. My Male Adept is already level 20 and he's all I play with.

I've unlocked two races. Drell Vanguard (recruit pack) and Asari Adept (veteran pack). Since a long while ago, I've been opening a ton of recruit packs (probably over 30) and have only gotten human unlocks, so I would recommend veteran packs. Then again, people's mileage varies, maybe mix it up a bit.

Niblet

vet packs. Asari adept is a rare unlock. Veteran packs have a much higher chance to get a rare unlock than recruit packs. I think I'm averaging 1 rare every 10 packs or something. Not great, but that's the nature of their rng.

Have you tried playing the other classes though? They're a lot of fun.

Don't have one, but here is what I know:

Stasis is the most broken multiplayer ability. Get the stasis bubble upgrade and the cooldown decrease (35%) upgrade. These are a must.

The reason you see players using sniper rifles (particularly the rare "Widow" sniper rifle) is that stasis completely immobilizes the target, allowing for absurdly easy headshots. If you have the Carnifex pistol (it is a gold card item, meaning it is rare to get from veteran packs), it is recommended you use that for the lower cooldown time.

Thanks for the heads up. I still don't have a Carnifex pistol : /, I think Im gonna use the viper and see how it goes.

Every single unlock I've gotten except for my 6 human adept unlocks have been from Vet packs. I'd also suggest trying out the other classes the vanguard is my favorite I actually soloed bronze earlier today with mine.

Niblet

Thanks for the heads up. I still don't have a Carnifex pistol : /, I think Im gonna use the viper and see how it goes.

Don't forget that it is still a adept, so biotic explosions should be your bread and butter. I don't know anything about asari throw so I cannot comment on that skill and if its better than warp, which you should prioritize in leveling, etc. I'm sure there has been discussion in this thread about all that.

ultron87

Has Bioware said if there will be other store options in the Retail game? I'm kind of warming up to the booster pack idea, but an "always get a character" pack for more credits would be nice to have and other such things.

VaLiancY

Warming up some popcorn and I'll be hoping on if anyone wants to do Silver runs. I'll be putting out OP bubbles all night.

XBL: Val Rosewood

Has Bioware said if there will be other store options in the Retail game? I'm kind of warming up to the booster pack idea, but an "always get a character" pack for more credits would be nice to have and other such things.

There's been some mention of two more tiers of packs one of them 75000 that guarantees one rare(gold) item. More importantly a reset powers pack needs to in there even if its super expensive.

You can probably roll gold with 4 Asari Adepts without much problems lol.

After playing an Asari Adept with stasis bubble (my new favorite character), I'd have to agree with you. Especially if all 4 are rocking a powerful pistol with some good mods.

Croc

Banned
Every time I play a new class I end up thinking, "wow, this is my favorite one yet."

Currently loving Engineer.

Kaper

Every time I play a new class I end up thinking, "wow, this is my favorite one yet."

Agreed, every class is it's own bag of fun. Krogan Soldier is hilarious, I love just running in and smashing the shit out of everything.

zam

Wasn't really expecting much from ME3 multiplayer, looked like another horde mode clone, but after playing a couple games in the demo I instantly changed my mind. Goddamn this is fun and I love the combat, the random objectives, and the Magic: The Gathering-like packs to unlock things is an insanely addictive idea. Can't wait for the full game to come out cause right now I don't want to unlock too many things and then have to redo it all when it comes out.

Niblet

I really like the engi. I feel like I took a mistep with my power evolution and raising my drone, but w/e. That damn overload. Totally delicious. Really want to unlock qurian so I can try the fire and ice combo. Quarian engineer with cryo ammo would wreck.

Agreed, every class is it's own bag of fun. Krogan Soldier is hilarious, I love just running in and smashing the shit out of everything.

YES! So satisfying to 1hko a phantom and have her fly off the map. I wish I specced mine for survival instead of pure melee brutality, I go down easier than I should.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

BRO, that is also my highlight.

I was a true skeptic on the MP coming into it.. didn't hold out any hope at all of it being playable, let alone fun..but holy shit balls it is good!

If the single player storyline and gameplay cohesiveness comes together (demos never really give a true scope of any rpg), and the multi-player keeps ruling.. this is definite GOTY material for me, even game of the generation.

Wish I had a Delorean right now, flux capacitor charged and 88mph ready...

Croc

Banned
I really like the engi. I feel like I took a mistep with my power evolution and raising my drone, but w/e. That damn overload. Totally delicious. Really want to unlock qurian so I can try the fire and ice combo. Quarian engineer with cryo ammo would wreck.

What would you suggest for Engineer then? I still am not sure of the best way to play and don't want to have to deal with the no re-specs in the demo thing. I haven't put any points into drone yet, just overload (rank 4) and Alliance training (rank 2). And for overload rank 4 I chose the one that lets me hit more than one target at a time.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I like engineer too, just wish the turret wasn't so lame. The enemy gets devastating turrets, we get mere distractions. I ended up playing ice sniper most of the time, just tossing a turret out now and then for distraction/early warning.

calder

Looks pretty damn fun.

PS3: caldermuyo

I have ME for PC and ME2 for PC and PS3 (couldn't resist the double dip) and while my pc could probably run 3 decently it's just so much easier for me to play longer games on PS3. The fights with my wife over using the PC ugggghhh, and she refuses to consider getting a second PC in the office (spare room) because having another desk in there would look "stupid". :|

What would you suggest for Engineer then? I still am not sure of the best way to play and don't want to have to deal with the no re-specs in the demo thing. I haven't put any points into drone yet, just overload (rank 4) and Alliance training (rank 2). And for overload rank 4 I chose the one that lets me hit more than one target at a time.

Max Overload (2 Chain Overload, ignore Neural Shock), Incinerate(focus on single targets), Alliance Training (decrease weight), and Fitness (boost health/shields). Only use the drone to distract Guardians.

Niblet

Overload is the engineers best attack. I would choose chain, recharge, and shield damage (I actually chose chain, neural, and chain). The first jump is the obvious choice. Neural is usually more annoying than it is helpful because the enemies fall on the ground, making headshots harder and sometimes making the enemies unreachable (eg they fall down behind cover). Shield damage is much more important than another jump of overload. That upgrade lets you one shot shields/barriers from everything that isn't an atlas. very useful on engineers, turrets, phantoms.

Drone mostly sucks if you're going a caster route as an engineer. It's most useful role is in casting it behind a guardian to make it turn around and therefore expose his unshielded back. I'd skip upgrading it. Save those points for your very useful passive skills.

Incinerate is pretty good. Great against atlas if you spec it to do armor damage. and I believe rank 5 burning damage makes damage dealt to the target %40 stronger for 8 seconds which is definitely good against atlas. I could be interpreting that skill wrongly though. It is your dps attack, but you will be using overload more often than not.

Overall, one of my top 3 classes. I love overloading everything in existence. Hope I unlock female to fix my build up.

Edit: I forgot that you have drone by default. You cannot skip it, but you can leave it at level 1.

Ajacx

Banned
Completed a round of bronze with four competent players, around level 20, including a soldier, vanguard, adept and sentinel. Tried and finished silver, and then gave gold a whirl. Somehow, we reached level 7. It was one of the most intense online battles, with about 3 Atlus, 4 Phantoms and a whole freaking Cerberus army at the end.

I like engineer too, just wish the turret wasn't so lame. The enemy gets devastating turrets, we get mere distractions. I ended up playing ice sniper most of the time, just tossing a turret out now and then for distraction/early warning.

Two words; Flamethrower Turret

I've only been able to play an hour or two online, but I've already maxed out Singularity. It's by far my favorite power. It's fun to shut down an incoming wave of people by tossing one at their feet.

Max Overload (2 Chain Overload, ignore Neural Shock), Incinerate(focus on single targets), Alliance Training (decrease weight), and Fitness (boost health/shields). Only use the drone to distract Guardians.

I dunno; I think the drone is a pretty solid distraction even against normal enemies. It's notworth a ton of points, but at level 2, which doesn't cost many points, its recharge is low enough that it's trivial to keep it up constantly if you refresh it while you're behindcover and regenerating shields.

krakov

The difficulty in Gold comes from dealing with several Atlases in a quick manner. Stasis bubble isn't very useful here and neither is carnifex. I usually play with my brother and no randoms so we've only seen wave 6 thus far.

I know this is the multiplayer thread, but here's TotalBiscuit's take on the DLC snafu that's going on right now....

Warning, there is a very clear, somewhat minor/somewhat major spoiler involved so if you don't want to find out anything do *not* click this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0vrJ-y2zM

With that said, he's got some great insights on this awful decision by EA.

moop1167

Duo'd bronze on the white level with an infiltrator last night. I am a level 5 vanguard and he was level 1. It got pretty intense at the end and I died probably 5 times or so. His NV rating was higher than mine so I think he had much better gear than I did. I have zero upgrades whatsoever on my weapons.

The next match I joined another lobby and we managed to only get to wave 9 or so in the other level, but with a full group this time. Strange.

I know this is the multiplayer thread, but here's TotalBiscuit's take on the DLC snafu that's going on right now....

Warning, there is a very clear, somewhat minor/somewhat major spoiler involved so if you don't want to find out anything do *not* click this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0vrJ-y2zM

With that said, he's got some great insights on this awful decision by EA.

Since I want to avoid any spoilers, do you mind explaining his beef without revealing anything?

And to keep this on topic: I'm finally got a level 10 Argus AR this morning. I want to use it, but I'm having too much fun playing with my Asari Adept packing only a pistol. CANNOT WAIT for the full game, just so I can play on more maps, fight more enemies, etc.

Since I want to avoid any spoilers, do you mind explaining his beef without revealing anything?

Some key points that I remember, but I'm sure I'm missing some. It was fairly lengthy, clocking in at 24 mins:

- Day 1 DLC like Zaeed in ME2 is (borderline) fine because the purpose of it was to prevent used game sales. All new copies of the game, whether collector's edition or not, contained a free code to access the DLC>

- Collector's Editions containing exclusive cosmetic additions to the game are fine because they do not tangibly affect development time nor players' experiences. He mentions that towards the end of a game's development the art team is idling because most of the final preparations are things like bug finding/fixing, which they have no part in. This is the perfect time to create more art assets that don't require effort from the coders.

- Any physical additions to Collector's Editions are fine, as they do not tangibly affect players' game experiences.

- Any DLC that is worked on and released after the game is released is fine.

- Content like the DLC in question are *not* ok, in large part because of the gravity and importance of the DLC. The significance of the content and the nature of its release means that Day 1 buyers are not getting a "content complete" product. This practice of cutting out a part of the game for monetization is unethical.

- Because of this behavior, TotalBiscuit will not be buying ME3, despite the immense love he professes for the franchise.

Also, Casey Hudson tweeted yesterday (tiny spoiler on the name of the DLC but not the actual content) on the nature of this DLC release about the release schedule of DLC. I forget if TotalBiscuit touched upon this aspect but his argument still stands regardless.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nice for exposure, but discussion of the matter really should remain in the other thread. Just getting in early to prevent this one derailing.

Anywho, when I get back home in a couple of days I must try out Gold. Bronze is laughably easy, and Silver has become very managable too. Lvl 20 infiltrator cloaked shot with my mantis one shot kills via headshots everything except an Atlas mech. Even Phantoms are nothing. One headshoot from cloak and boom, their dead. Makes silver quite simple with a full team, as the AI is usually completely distracted while you cloak around. That and phantoms love sticking to cover, which just makes them even easier kills.

I think the hardest thing on silver is when the game decides to roll the important target mission in a latter round, and all your targets are atlas mechs. By then the previous round mechs have exhausted rocket supplies, and you're left fighting the clock against bullet sponges surrounded by turrets and phantoms.

Also, I realised only the other day that the Noveria base is a Cerberus outpost. Lawl.

Mindlog

Yeah, I save all my rockets unless they meet one of my three rules.*
1.) Assassination target is an Atlas.
2.) Multiple Atlas mechs bunched together.
3.) The entire team is cornered in one area with encroaching Atlas mechs.

The ratio there would be 10:3:1. They're largely pretty easy to deal with even in large numbers.

*Always an exception to the rule. I once had to use a rocket on a turret. I was the last person alive and time was running out. I had to capture the last node and I had no idea where the engineer was.

Also, I realised only the other day that the Noveria base is a Cerberus outpost. Lawl.
I noticed that too. I hope they give us some details about that.

Miggytronz

Nice for exposure, but discussion of the matter really should remain in the other thread. Just getting in early to prevent this one derailing.

Anywho, when I get back home in a couple of days I must try out Gold. Bronze is laughably easy, and Silver has become very managable too. Lvl 20 infiltrator cloaked shot with my mantis one shot kills via headshots everything except an Atlas mech. Even Phantoms are nothing. One headshoot from cloak and boom, their dead. Makes silver quite simple with a full team, as the AI is usually completely distracted while you cloak around. That and phantoms love sticking to cover, which just makes them even easier kills.

I think the hardest thing on silver is when the game decides to roll the important target mission in a latter round, and all your targets are atlas mechs. By then the previous round mechs have exhausted rocket supplies, and you're left fighting the clock against bullet sponges surrounded by turrets and phantoms.

This by far infuriates me. Prolly the only thing that I dislike really. I love everything else but when its WAVE 9 or 10 and its a Target Mission with Mechs, oooo i get so mad.

rozay

Banned

And to keep this on topic: I'm finally got a level 10 Argus AR this morning. I want to use it, but I'm having too much fun playing with my Asari Adept packing only a pistol. CANNOT WAIT for the full game, just so I can play on more maps, fight more enemies, etc.
You got an Argus AR in the demo? I thought the only guns available were the avenger, mattock and revenant!

Violet_0

Banned
one of the most important aspects of playing gold is to know when to use rockets

they act like a "get free out of jail" card, meaning you should only use them when it's absolutely necessary

so, like mentioned above, when the important target is an Atlas and there's absolutely no way you can destroy it before the timer runs out, or your team is cornered by multiple phantoms/Atlases (always try to hit as many enemies as possible, using one on only a single Atlas is just a huge waste). Unfortunately, most people don't know this. Btw, Asari adepts deal remarkable damage to armor with their combo - I mean, there's really nothing they can't do.

one of the most important aspects about playing gold is to know when to use rockets

they act like a "get free out of jail" card, meaning you should only use them when it's absolutely necessary

so, like mentioned above, when the important target is an Atlas and there's absolutely no way you can destroy it before the timer runs out, or your team is cornered by multiple phantoms/Atlases (always try to hit as many enemies as possible, using one on only a single Atlas is just a huge waste). Unfortunately, most people don't know this. Btw, Asari adepts deal remarkable damage to armor with their combo - I mean, there's really nothing they can't do.

I continue to be jealous over not having the Asari Adept class. I've pumped so many credits into Veteran Packs.

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
The only gold, alien species unlocks I have gotten were from Veteran level packs, but thankfully they are not very difficult to get the money for, even on Bronze.

The best strategy is to play with just three players (though this might be difficult unless everyone is about level 5) when you are starting out and roll through Bronze. Spend an hour doing this, at about 15-20 minutes per mission, and you should be getting 14-17k credits per mission.

At that point, buy two veteran packs and two recruit packs (for weapon consumables, equipment upgrades, etc). You should be level 7-10 by now. Rinse and repeat for another hour or so, and buy all veteran packs. By that time you will likely have unlocked a few good guns and class/race combos and can move up to Silver with MUCH greater ease.

Human classes, in general, are difficult until the teens to take into silver without good players and a good team.

Exceptions exist for the more OP classes, though-Engineer, vanguard, infiltrator, etc.

I unfortunately continue to have horrible luck with unlocks, but the methods above got me the few gold cards that I have. Across three platforms I have only unlocked 4 total race/class packages, never gotten the Mattock, Revenant, Widow, or Carnifex.

So I am cursed in summary!

Squall516

Ya it's a bummer it would be sweet if there was some kind of versus multiplayer, but to me its not a huge deal. That's why they have other FPS like Halo and CoD and Battlefield lol. I'm just happy that they have some kind of online component to the game and im excited to see how exactly it affects the single-player. I think it's pretty awesome enough that you can do online co-op and multiplayer at all lol.

Top Bottom