• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGaf |Early 2016 Election| - the government's term has been... Shortened

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly given current senate makeup they'd be screwed out of passing anything.

Actually by my count Labor has a slightly easier Senate (assuming pairing holds or the high court stuff is sorted). They have 26 of their own , and the 9 Greens are generally amenable , which means they just need NXT + 1 of Lambie* , Hinch , Xenophon or Leyjonhelm (I can see a couple of cases where they could theoretically get Cory , Gichuhi or less likely PHON) . They can even Collect All 4 and drop NXT (though I have no ability whatsoever to conjure a scenario that's likely in).

*Lambie's basically a free vote for Labor for economic policy too.

They are sorta boned if the Greens don't support something and the Coalition isn't willing to come to the party though.

54(+1)/46(-1) Newspoll. 12 to go!

The ABS may take a statistical approach to make the SSM opinion poll more accurate, basically fudge the numbers to make up for voting difference between age groups. . Not sure if I think this will happen but involving the ABS whose mandate is to give the most accurate representation, not to just take a straw poll like the AEC, may cause completely havoc and invoke further legal cases. Somewhere Malcolm is tearing his hair out.

Any adjustments would snuff whatever illusion of democracy this has to begin with. Especially if adjusted figures return a different result to pure. The government cannot allow that to happen since they'd go straight back to their internal war.

danm999

54(+1)/46(-1) Newspoll. 12 to go!

The ABS may take a statistical approach to make the SSM opinion poll more accurate, basically fudge the numbers to make up for voting difference between age groups. . Not sure if I think this will happen but involving the ABS whose mandate is to give the most accurate representation, not to just take a straw poll like the AEC, may cause completely havoc and invoke further legal cases. Somewhere Malcolm is tearing his hair out.

Oh Jesus this government can't even put their thumb on the scale right

D.Lo

That doesn't really add up to me. If it's a voluntary poll, the sample space is 'who replied'. No correction necessary. Everyone else is automatically 'chose not to answer'.

That doesn't really add up to me. If it's a voluntary poll, the sample space is 'who replied'. No correction necessary. Everyone else is automatically 'chose not to answer'.
They'll take demographic information to determine rate of reply among different groups, then extrapolate the opinion of the entire country from that based on the last census. What's there to not understand?

They'll take demographic information to determine rate of reply among different groups, then extrapolate the opinion of the entire country from that based on the last census. What's there to not understand?

That there's a possible entangled variable there that makes non-respondents statistically different to respondents, they might not care strongly either way, whereas those who do return the survey either care or feel some kind of civic duty. It's by no means certain that the distinct groups have the same distribution after accounting for lack of intensity.

This is different to the usual case where demographic projections are used, which is limited samples, the vast majority of the population aren't given the chance to participate so it's reasonable to assume they would behave similar to the polled group (including non-response rates) if they could.

D.Lo

Ugh, I understand what it's saying. I doubt this guy's heresy idea will be done.

And it seems it cannot, the actual ABS site says:

Results will be official statistics in the form of a count of response (Yes, No and Invalid) by Commonwealth Electoral Division (CED), State/Territory and National.

Information from the Electoral Roll will be used independently to produce a participation rate by age and gender for each Commonwealth Electoral Division (CED), State/Territory and National.

The two items will not be tied together. They will not be able to determine what each age voted, just what percentage. The only real chance it has at being undermined is if the youth vote is very low, but I can't see that being interpreted as anything except 'not voting = voting not to change'.

Machina

Banned
Woolworths is looking to sell off their share in the fuel market to BP. That Masters fiasco has really done a number on them.

We're hurtling towards yet another market in Australia that is dominated by one party. Now we'll see which of our politicians really has a spine

Cristensen is the next person in trouble. Alarmingly we are almost identical, we both were born before 1983, we both have Scottish born mothers yet while I am a British Citizen by descent, Georgie looked at a website and thinks he isn't. The Nats vetting process really does come down to "she'll be right mate."

D.Lo

Yep, so assuming Labor is handed the key, while they may benefit from a house election they'll still get a bad senate, so it's not in their interests to do so practically. More inability either way, which while not their fault would damage their brand and continue to erode the public's faith in Canberra.

Yep, so assuming Labor is handed the key, while they may benefit from a house election they'll still get a bad senate, so it's not in their interests to do so practically. More inability either way, which while not their fault would damage their brand and continue to erode the public's faith in Canberra.

Labor (26) + Green (9) + NXT (3) is a workable block of 38.Take one off for the President and they'd only need 1 more. Lambie backs the ALP on the economy, Leyonhjelm is open to a lot of social policy even he comes from a completely different stance, Guichuhi is unknown at this point and Hinch is pretty amenable on most things.

It would be a pain in arse for a while but it could work and Labor could call another election a year or two later to bring the houses back in line.

D.Lo

Labor (26) + Green (9) + NXT (3) is a workable block of 38.Take one off for the President and they'd only need 1 more. Lambie backs the ALP on the economy, Leyonhjelm is open to a lot of social policy even he comes from a completely different stance, Guichuhi is unknown at this point and Hinch is pretty amenable on most things.

It would be a pain in arse for a while but it could work and Labor could call another election a year or two later to bring the houses back in line.
that's my worry though, as soon as they have some deadlock, or are pushed left by the Greens, murdoch and the Libs have a field day. I guess maybe needing both Greens and NXT/indies might even policies out if they all work together?

legend166

Why are all these Labor MPs refusing to release their documents? I would have thought it'd just be a letter from the respective consulate confirming you've denounced the right to citizenship so I can't think of any privacy concerns.

Why are all these Labor MPs refusing to release their documents? I would have thought it'd just be a letter from the respective consulate confirming you've denounced the right to citizenship so I can't think of any privacy concerns.

Politics.

Labor know they have the upper hand here and unless they are lying the various members under question (Zappia, Vamvakinou, Keay, Lamb, O'conner and now even the ridiculous Shorten conspiracy) have all released statements that they renounced their various potential second citizenship's, with time to spare, and are basically daring the government to challenge them and are holding the threat of referring up to 8 extra government members that also have "doubts" using the losing Labor candidates. The longer this story can be dragged out in the news, the more pain for the government.

hopefully an election is called.

Perhaps then we can avoid this horrific plebiscite.
I fear that Pandora's Box has been opened and so now there would still be all the abuse and nastiness, over "people not getting their say".

The other day when there wad the liberal party meeting to decide whether to have the plebiscite still, my boss started talking me to about a 'horrible undemocratic decision' and asked me several times in a few minutes if I was going to Canberra to vote, if I already had, etc. He was being absurd and inappropriate. I thought for the rest of the shift they had decided on a free vote. I found out when I could check the news that they hadn't decided yet.

I fear that Pandora's Box has been opened and so now there would still be all the abuse and nastiness, over "people not getting their say".

The other day when there wad the liberal party meeting to decide whether to have the plebiscite still, my boss started talking me to about a 'horrible undemocratic decision' and asked me several times in a few minutes if I was going to Canberra to vote, if I already had, etc. He was being absurd and inappropriate. I thought for the rest of the shift they had decided on a free vote. I found out when I could check the news that they hadn't decided yet.

No election is possible before mid next year short of some kind of Constitutional Crisis* happening or them desyching the Senate (which is a) a good way to lose and b) gives an incoming Labor government a fairly friendly Senate until mid 2019 (Greens + NXT + 1 other (Lambie is basically a lock for economic policy, Hinch is generally good on civil rights except for people suspected of / guilty of crimes, Leyjonhelm is possible for somethings too)).

* DDs require the Lower House to be in its final 6 months (so first half 2019). After a DD Senators must serve at least 2 years, (mid next year).

danm999

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-windsor-joins-high-court-battle-as-dates-set

High Court won't hear MPs cases until October now. Bit of a headache for the govt as they'll have to drag this corpse behind them for months almost ensuring nobody will work with them given their legitimacy is in question.

Seems like everyone is also angling to make their case for validity whilst discrediting other parties cases which gives the entire proceeding a weird musical chairs vibe.

Canavan's lawyer's argument, that 50% of Australians would be ineligible by descent if he is, seems exceptionally weak as the court may well point out they're only ineligible if they do nothing about it.

Omikron

So much for that 'it was me mum' excuse.

Senator Canavan has conceded he has been an Italian citizen since he was 2 - when he previously blamed a 2006 application by his mother - while Senator Roberts appeared to admit that he had not filled in his British citizenship renunciation documents until after he was elected.

D.Lo

How we he a citizen since he was 2? Birth sure, but 2? Somebody applied? He's never been to Italy right?

Omikron

How we he a citizen since he was 2? Birth sure, but 2? Somebody applied? He's never been to Italy right?

Should have linked the article, my bad.

The directions hearing also revealed a major change in Senator Canavan's argument, with lawyers for the former cabinet minister arguing he had been an an Italian citizen by descent since he was two, because of a change in Italian law in 1983. His lawyers argued that citizenship by descent rather than birth should be ignored for the purposes of section 44(i) of the constitution.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...october-high-court-hears-20170824-gy31ds.html

Honestly, not sure that argument is going to work for him.

I assume this is the law change? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_nationality_law#Decision_no._30_of_1983

Whatever the case, he obviously had Italian grandparents, wouldn't you think to check this?

So they start the week trying to embroil Shorten in this mess even though he was born here and then they go into the High Court and argue that s.44 can't possibly apply to people born here that happen to aquire citizenship through descent.

I think I know who their lawyer is.

tenor.gif

I dunno how citizen by descent can possibly be ignored in general, citizenship by descent is just as standard as citizenship by birth. There's not much in the claim one should be recognised and not the other. You could maybe argue that it's unreasonable to know about certain forms of citizenship by descent (like Joyce's case, where he might not have that his father had acquired NZ citizenship and thus he acquired it ) but consistency would require that you apply the same to citizenship by birth.

danm999

Let's play a game; who is the most screwed of the Magnificent Seven?

Given Ludlam seems to not be bothering to contest I think it's gotta be Roberts. Canavan's a strong contender though given his defense seems to be rhetorical and based on the notion that if he can't be in Parliament lots of others can't either.

D.Lo

Got to be Roberts.

Waters is the most screwed in that she resigned but apart from Joyce had the best grounds for defence on ignorance IMO.

As hilarious as all this is, is anyone seriously on the side of throwing an elected government out over this rule?

Not unless there's a reasonable probability they are actually foreign agents. Which seems to be about 0 for all of them (except maybe Roberts who may be the scouting force of Omnicron Persei VIII).

bomma_man

As hilarious as all this is, is anyone seriously on the side of throwing an elected government out over this rule?

I feel like the court either has to (1) read down the shit out of this section because it's stupid; or (2) set an example and it'll probably never happen again. I'm not adverse to option (2) because it's short term pain for long term certainty.

I feel like the court either has to (1) read down the shit out of this section because it's stupid; or (2) set an example and it'll probably never happen again. I'm not adverse to option (2) because it's short term pain for long term certainty.

The first example invalidated 3 candidates in the same election so your faith in 2 is probably misplaced.

I'm not sure I follow, are you referring to Sykes?

I think so. Like a PHON candidate got eliiminated as did at least one other contender (the ALP candidate) , and I think it was actually the Liberal candidate as well. .

ETA - Yeah, the 3 top candidates all got eliminated.

bomma_man

I guess a shouldn't be shocked that people are calling changing the names of places that literally have the fucking n word in them "politically correctness gone mad" but here we are

I guess a shouldn't be shocked that people are calling changing the names of places that literally have the fucking n word in them "politically correctness gone mad" but here we are

Are we talking about a construction that by happenstance include the N word or one that deliberately uses it ? Because in the case of the former I am inclined to agree, the Scunthorpe problem is insufficient ground for much of anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom