• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Kyoufu

I bet the 2017 LG OLEDs will support it. At least the high end models will.

Next year's high end models. Or year after. Blame hdmi.

I wonder if HDMI will be HFR ready in 2017 or if LG will have Displayport as well. IIRC their HFR demo panels at IFA 2016 were using Displayport.

HFR is anything over the standard for film. For example, The Hobbit was considered HFR and its 48 fps. Yes, its true that LG is testing higher than 60 fps HFR, but in this case Meridian is being output at 60fps and is also considered HFR so any HDR TV right now should be able to see already see it already cause they all output at minimum 60 hz and can do 60fps..

Think of it as HD. There was initially 720p, 1080i, and 1080p, yet we considered all of those resolutions HD. Same goes for HFR but it will refer to higher frame rates than the standard 24 fps.

Well that explains it, thanks. I thought they were using HFR for >60fps video.

Hastati

Is there a chance that the upcoming OLED releases from various companies will include smaller sizes? I'm not well informed when it comes to TVs. I can't justify replacing my current larger set, and want to buy something between 30 and 40 inches for pc and consoles that looks amazing, but everything I've seen for sale right now is at 45 inches or above (or doesn't have great reviews).

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is there a chance that the upcoming OLED releases from various companies will include smaller sizes? I'm not well informed when it comes to TVs. I can't justify replacing my current larger set, and want to buy something between 30 and 40 inches for pc and consoles that looks amazing, but everything I've seen for sale right now is at 45 inches or above (or doesn't have great reviews).

We shall see in a month's time at CES but I think as OLED screens become more prevalent we should see them coming out in smaller sizes.

Reports are that Sony will be releasing a 55 and a 65. Gonna have to wait and see about any other manufacturers.

Hastati

Thanks! I'll wait for CES then and see what they have to offer.

Wish I could go with a larger one, but I still like my antiquated TV.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm only asking in regards to the Xbox One.

Someone said that console had gamma problems so now I'm curious.

I believe it was thought the Xbox One uses the same linear gamma line as the 360 resulting in non-optimal results when calibrating. If game devs adjust for it, you shouldn't get crushed blacks. If they didn't, then it will crush. Earlier games having the most issues.
http://filmicgames.com/archives/14

There was lots of threads about, especially around launch.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722069

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=988325
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=869927

Beautiful TV sector! I have a 512 zone Panasonic, which I absolutely love, but it does bloom a bit with HDR content sometimes, and a little bit with SDR, but not much to be honest, but the Z9D does look bloody lovely! Then again mine cost me £2000 for a 58" compared to £4K Z9.

ss_lemonade

So I finally received my ks9000 yesterday. Beautiful TV and HDR+4k on youtube looks godly. One question though: is there a reason why one of my hdmi cables used for my PS4 results in no signal only at 1080p? Everything else below that resolution works fine. This was the same cable I've been using for 2 years now on my other TV at 1080p. I tried a second hdmi cable and that one worked fine. Both have "high speed hdmi" written at the side and the only visible difference between the 2 is the non-working one being a slightly thinner.

The Beard

Not any time soon. The profit margins on small OLED TVs would be tiny. Current production couldn't support it. More brands are gonna have to get into the game, and many more OLEDs need to be sold each year before we see >50".

Hastati

Not any time soon. The profit margins on small OLED TVs would be tiny. Current production couldn't support it. More brands are gonna have to get into the game, and many more OLEDs need to be sold each year before we see >50".

Oh okay, thanks. Guess I'll have to hope someone releases something that looks almost as good in my size range. Still looking forward to seeing what people have cooking at CES.

BumRush

I can try to find documentation, but isn't LG building a MAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIIVVVVVVEEEEEEE facility to ramp up production of OLED displays? Maybe then?

I can try to find documentation, but isn't LG building a MAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIIVVVVVVEEEEEEE facility to ramp up production of OLED displays? Maybe then?

Perhaps, but aren't sales for most TVs trending towards larger sizes now? I think the 40s will see some love in a year or 2, but they'll likely be the smallest screens on the market by that time.

Yes, they are building a second factory in Korea... for larger panels... lol

See. It likely isn't happening until budget manufacturers hop on the OLED train.

The Chef

Have been looking at getting a 65" soon. I dont care to get it before Christmas and if it means I'll likely get a better deal to wait till after the holidays I am fine with that.

I did see this Sony Bravia 65" 4K HDR XBR65X750D for $1000 at Best Buy. Seems to be significantly cheaper than any other 65" Best Buy carries.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-...?skuId=4803800

Appears to have pretty good reviews too. Any thoughts?

sector4

If you're in Australia and are after the Z9D it's $4799 ($6999 rrp originally) today at JB HiFi and Sony.com.au

http://store.sony.com.au/KD65Z9D.html#start=1

That also makes it significantly ($1700) cheaper than any OLED in the same size.

They probably use different methods to measure input lag. As long as the lag doesn't bother you, that's all that matters.

OLED definitely wins in contrast but it looks like the Z9D has better shadow detail and motion resolution which are both important. Also, no image retention is a plus.

HDTVPolska measured different sources at different resolutions for input lag, where as HDTVtest only gave two numbers, one with HDR on and one with HDR off, no mention of resolution. It would make sense that input lag drops the less processing the TV has to do, (not having to upscale itself drops the input lag in this case) since it drops when you turn off any other post processing features like motionflow etc.

Does the Z9D support Motionflow Impulse (backlight strobing) when set to Game Mode?
Sorry I would have to check that for you, I usually have motion flow turned off as I'm not a fan of the SOE however slight it is. Is that Motionflow Clear? Or does it have another name?

You can't beat native infinite contrast
The Z9D blacks look to be great but Sony has to resort to some "trickery" to achieve those and it can have a bad result in some (select) scenes
martian.jpg

The Martian Blu-ray opening scene. Left: LG OLED; Right: Sony Z9D

Still, like you said, I'm also pretty sure the Sony does some other things better
Their video processing and upscaling might be the best
And that peak brightness in HDR must be something
I could understand people choosing the Z9D over an OLED, and I hate LED TVs
The trickery is FALD, and most high end LCD TVs utilise it, the only difference with the Z9D is that it has more zones than any previous TV. That picture is very misleading though. I checked that scene from The Martian last night, and I can assure you it looks nothing like that haha.
Those Pioneers in UK work out at £2500, lol

New 4K tv, new amp, new speakers, new 4KUHD player (thanks Sony you dimwits) around £5K and a little, hmm maybe do a bit at a time :(

watching 4K sure is expensive!!
Yikes! They were $1899 AU for the speakers only here, but I lucked out and got a really good deal. Maybe keep your eyes on the places that sell them, they're bound to get discounted heavily given the naturally inflated price.

For somebody who is not an "audiophile/sound guy", you sure have great instincts. For the price, the Pioneer Elite speakers have some of the best sound quality, hands down in my opinion. Finish it off with a good Rythmik Subwoofer and you are good to go.

Hahaha thanks! I read a few reviews of them, and totally lucked out, the one place in Australia (a country as big as most of North America) that sold them, was 5 minutes down the road from me. I went in to listen to them, and was absolutely blown away! Thanks for the advice re: subwoofer, I'll write that down for when I expand my set up :)

Beautiful TV sector! I have a 512 zone Panasonic, which I absolutely love, but it does bloom a bit with HDR content sometimes, and a little bit with SDR, but not much to be honest, but the Z9D does look bloody lovely! Then again mine cost me £2000 for a 58" compared to £4K Z9.

Thank you DOT DASH DOT! You must have the DX902? Trust me it was very hard to ignore that set, it's 90% of what the Z9D is at a fraction of the price. I was extremely tempted, but in the end I got a pretty decent deal on the Sony and couldn't say no.

Thank you DOT DASH DOT! You must have the DX902? Trust me it was very hard to ignore that set, it's 90% of what the Z9D is at a fraction of the price. I was extremely tempted, but in the end I got a pretty decent deal on the Sony and couldn't say no.

Yeah DX902, some of the HDR gaming I've seen on this has been astounding! Have you tried Resident Evil 7 demo with HDR on your Z9? If not you should, the light popping through the windows etc looks amazing with the deep blacks! You'll be cranking the HDR brightness in the game options almost to the max for your beast.

If I had the room I would probably have gone for the Z9, but with the performance I'm getting I just can't complain! From what I've read the 902 actually has the brightest 100% full field (880 nits vs 700-750 Z9?) screen of any TV, with the Z9 hitting the highest peak brightness 1800+ vs 1350 (902).....

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My dream for 2017 for an OLED or FALD LED at 55 inches with at most 33.3ms response time in 4K/HDR that isn't going to break the bank. I need an upgrade bad. Still on a 2009 32 inch LCD. My Pro hungers for more.

oni-link

Cross posting from another thread because I need some advice

I'm moving out into my own house and I'm looking to get a new TV

My budget is £500 and I want it to be 4K, have HDR, and be about 49/50'' in size

I've had a look at the TV threads and they're such a clusterfuck, and it doesn't help that the same TV's have different names for the UK and the US

If it's mainly going to be used for gaming, is there anything that you would recommend for that price range?

(Also, I don't have a Pro yet, but will get one soon, so I'll mainly be playing PS3/Wii U games on this TV for a while, do 720p games look like shit on 4K TV's?)

sector4

Yeah DX902, some of the HDR gaming I've seen on this has been astounding! Have you tried Resident Evil 7 demo with HDR on your Z9? If not you should, the light popping through the windows etc looks amazing with the deep blacks! You'll be cranking the HDR brightness in the game options almost to the max for your beast.

If I had the room I would probably have gone for the Z9, but with the performance I'm getting I just can't complain! From what I've read the 902 actually has the brightest 100% full field (880 nits vs 700-750 Z9?) screen of any TV, with the Z9 hitting the highest peak brightness 1800+ vs 1350 (902).....
Man tell me about it, Forza Horizon is beyond gorgeous in HDR! I've been really hanging to try Rise of the Tomb Raider as well as I've heard that has really good HDR implementation also. I have not tried the RE7 demo in HDR though, I wasn't aware that it was, I will have to check that out tonight, thanks for the tip! :)

Wow! That's incredibly impressive! I had no idea about that, Panny are wizards themselves when it comes to displays, my last two were both from them, and I'll be keeping a keen eye on them in the future for sure. Probably be a long while before I'm ready to upgrade again though :D

Sorry I would have to check that for you, I usually have motion flow turned off as I'm not a fan of the SOE however slight it is. Is that Motionflow Clear? Or does it have another name?

I'm not sure how Motionflow settings are named now in newer models. Impulse was the old name for the backlight strobing mode. But just turn on Game Mode and see if anything Motionflow-related is available.

Evo X

My dream for 2017 for an OLED or FALD LED at 55 inches with at most 33.3ms response time in 4K/HDR that isn't going to break the bank. I need an upgrade bad. Still on a 2009 32 inch LCD. My Pro hungers for more.

How much is breaking the bank?

LG C6 has been down to $1500 for the 55" and has 34ms of input lag in 4K HDR after the latest update.

Sickbean

Looking at upgrading to 4K and realised I also need to upgrade my receiver as it doesn't do 4K pass through.

I've currently got a Marantz NR1504 as it's low profile enough to fit in my TV stand.

Anything similar that's the same height or smaller? The Marantz only just fits as it is...

Man tell me about it, Forza Horizon is beyond gorgeous in HDR! I've been really hanging to try Rise of the Tomb Raider as well as I've heard that has really good HDR implementation also. I have not tried the RE7 demo in HDR though, I wasn't aware that it was, I will have to check that out tonight, thanks for the tip! :)

Wow! That's incredibly impressive! I had no idea about that, Panny are wizards themselves when it comes to displays, my last two were both from them, and I'll be keeping a keen eye on them in the future for sure. Probably be a long while before I'm ready to upgrade again though :D

The Resi 7 demo has 2 calibration modes for HDR, one for peak nit brightness which goes up to 2000, and another for general HDR brightness, mine gets to 1400 till the box disappears, see what you think.

holygeesus

Banned
Looking at upgrading to 4K and realised I also need to upgrade my receiver as it doesn't do 4K pass through.

I've currently got a Marantz NR1504 as it's low profile enough to fit in my TV stand.

Anything similar that's the same height or smaller? The Marantz only just fits as it is...

What is your current speaker set-up? If it is only 5.1 you could save yourself some cash and use the optical out of your new TV (make sure the one you buy has one first obviously)

dallow_bg

nods at old men

You'd need to get the latest low profile Marantz. (NR1506)
I can't think of anyone else making them like that. (I have the same receiver and need to upgrade as well).

I'm in the market for two identical TVs (one for each of my kids) for Christmas. I looked at rtings and they recommend the Sony XBR43X800D and the Samsung UN40KU6300. The Sony at $650 is more than I want to spend, the Samsung is right at $450 and doable. Both are 4K / HDR10, however, and I'm torn on whether it is worth the extra $200 per TV for that for such a small TV. Both kids said they are fine with 1080p, but then on the flip-side I'm worried about the TVs not being (reasonably) future proof. Is 4K worth it on a smaller TV? (Edit: Looks like it is, provided the viewing distance is under 6 feet).

If not, any recommendations for a 1080p 40"-ish TV?

Regardless of 4K or 1080p, definitely needs to be LED (I'm not expecting to find reasonable OLED at that size), have HDMI inputs, and have smart TV capabilities (Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO GO, etc.).

Regarding the Samsung I'm a bit worried about judder during movies, something rtings called out. I don't know if my kids hate it, but man I notice it pretty badly. Maybe I should get 1080p sets for them, those don't seem to have it as much.

Thanks for any help!

Kyoufu

Just installed and tried the HDR Game mode update for the E6 (UK). Feels great now and the one issue I had with the TV is now fixed. Good stuff.

Why in the world would you make an HDR monitor... with IPS panel? Why, LG? :|

Ha they love it, they should ditch IPS, I know they developed it, but it downright sucks!

Mate of mine just spent £2700 on an IPS 75" Sony, for that money he could have bought a very nice 65", 1000:1 contrast ratio's are just not right, especially with the emergence of HDR.

Kyoufu

Ha they love it, they should ditch IPS, I know they developed it, but it downright sucks!

Mate of mine just spent £2700 on an IPS 75" Sony, for that money he could have bought a very nice 65", 1000:1 contrast ratio's are just not right, especially with the emergence of HDR.

For that much money he could have done much better. :|

holygeesus

Banned
Yep, 5.1.

So just input all HDMIs to the TV?

It's what I do. Of course it depends on how many devices you have, but if your amp has standard 4K passthrough then you can still use that too. I have all my HDR capable devices go straight to my TV and those that don't deal with HDR going to my amp. You also would have to check that the TV you buy does 5.1 over optical. Some only do 2.0 (I think).

Hey there folks.

I'm having issues with HDR on my XBO S. The TV I have is a Sony X800D 43".

Basically, games in HDR mode look really colourless and washed out on XBO. I've tried Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3. Gears looks especially bad, like completely ruined in terms in image quality with it on.

However, HDR through my PS4 Pro or PC (Shadow Warrior 2) both look great. Not washed out, colours pop nicely, no issues. This is with the same TV settings and is true across all inputs.

Am I missing something? I've messed around with XBO settings (limited vs full, 8 bit vs 10 bit, etc) but I just cannot make it look good.

Does hdr just suck on XBO or am I missing something?

For that much money he could have done much better. :|

Yeah I know. I mean I guess size counts for something, but at the end of the day, he has spent £2700 on a 1000;1 contrast ratio, and a peak nit of 400, which is awful when combined with the poor blacks!

Paragon

The difference between 65" and 75" is massive - 33% larger area.
IPS panels may not have the best contrast but are better than VA panels in every other way.
VA panels have clouding problems, very slow response times with dark colors, ugly gamma and color shifting with wide viewing angles.
With large VA panels, the viewing angle problems are clearly visible in the corners of the screen even if you are sitting directly in front of it. Anyone sitting off-center gets a bad image.
That Sony is probably not what I would have bought, but it really depends on what your priorities are.

Ouch 😢

I'm in the market for two identical TVs (one for each of my kids) for Christmas. I looked at rtings and they recommend the Sony XBR43X800D and the Samsung UN40KU6300. The Sony at $650 is more than I want to spend, the Samsung is right at $450 and doable. Both are 4K / HDR10, however, and I'm torn on whether it is worth the extra $200 per TV for that for such a small TV. Both kids said they are fine with 1080p, but then on the flip-side I'm worried about the TVs not being (reasonably) future proof. Is 4K worth it on a smaller TV? (Edit: Looks like it is, provided the viewing distance is under 6 feet).

If not, any recommendations for a 1080p 40"-ish TV?

Regardless of 4K or 1080p, definitely needs to be LED (I'm not expecting to find reasonable OLED at that size), have HDMI inputs, and have smart TV capabilities (Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO GO, etc.).

Regarding the Samsung I'm a bit worried about judder during movies, something rtings called out. I don't know if my kids hate it, but man I notice it pretty badly. Maybe I should get 1080p sets for them, those don't seem to have it as much.

Thanks for any help!

If you care about blacks I would recommend Hisense H8C. I really like this TV. HDR is decent enough for the price and the blacks are excellent. But the smallest size they got of H8C is 50 inch...

I watched the Secret Life of Pets via UHB Blu-Ray/HDR on the B6. Good christ that was stunning. My wife, who doesn't give a wit about picture quality/HDR, blah blah walked in the room and was like "Wow, that looks amazing!".

Love this TV.

HylianTom

Banned
In the last thread, I mentioned that our beloved Samsung plasma had died. We decided to take a chance, sending the power board off to Wyoming for repair.. and it actually ended-up working. The culprit was a solder/mosfet failure.

I'm trying to stretch this beautiful beast for as long as possible before making the leap to OLED. Really looking forward to seeing how OLED evolves over the next year or two.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
I just picked up a ps4 pro and it isn't talking to my LG B6. I have firmware 4.30.65 (which is the current version listed on their website) but other websites showing that 4.30.70 is needed to fix the HDCP issue. The TV isn't updating (from TV menu) and since the LG site doesn't have .70 up...what are people doing to work around?

Kyoufu

I just picked up a ps4 pro and it isn't talking to my LG B6. I have firmware 4.30.65 (which is the current version listed on their website) but other websites showing that 4.30.70 is needed to fix the HDCP issue. The TV isn't updating (from TV menu) and since the LG site doesn't have .70 up...what are people doing to work around?

Boot into safe mode and change to 1080p, then disable HDCP. You might need to do this on a different TV before you can start using your Pro on your B6.

Top Bottom