• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III – The 1st Teaser | PS4

zeopower6

What ? Seriously ??

Yes. The backer update we got a while ago showed us this teaser and that he decided to put brush to paper and make the logo himself. I think it is still up in the air though and not 100% final. Specifically, he said "I think this will please people but let me know what you think".

Aenima

I laughed so hard when I saw the trailer. at least they are honest with their product

Its not a trailer. Not even a teaser. Its a Progress video they published it in kickstastarter for the backers. Sony is just calling it a Teaser, but not even that is. Its to show the backers how the game is progressing. Also the 1st video they show.

Yes. The backer update we got a while ago showed us this teaser and that he decided to put brush to paper and make the logo himself. I think it is still up in the air though and not 100% final. Specifically, he said "I think this will please people but let me know what you think".

Well... Looks bad. Sorry for Yu. The June logo looked a lot better. And the edit of the trailer is bad. I mean I'm sure a fan will re-edit it.

benzy

Yu posted about the logo in yesterday's KS update.

Yu Suzuki on the title logo

"I really wanted to bring home the Shenmue logo because this belongs to all of you, and I know how passionate everyone feels about it. As the result, I felt the design should come more from the heart. So, with more than a bit of trepidation, I took brush to hand. I believe we have reached a design that will please, but let me know what you think!"

ABFD0q0.jpg

Jaymageck

They really need to improve the facial animation. I know that people had given up on Shenmue but that has to be in contention for the worst, relative to the standard of the current time, ever.

varsas

Neo Member
I thought that generally looked good for a game a year out from release but the lighting on the faces and lack of animation does make it look off. There's a lot of content, art and animation, to build so I'm sure it'll be in the end.

They should have ditched the character designs of the original game. They look terrible in HD.

Hehe, I dunno... I think the original models still look pretty great in HD. Especially the ones from Shenmue 2. The DC game looks nice in HD on an emulator, even though the lesser NPC's still did have some funky low polygon models. I would just like to see both of the original games with their original assets in an HD collection, with some updated controls.

What are these games about, and what is the genre?

Couldn't really tell from the trailer

The originals are a real time RPG that is mixed with a life simulator and has a martial arts styled fighting system. If Shenmue 3 plays like the original games, it will be just like the first two.

zeopower6

They really need to improve the facial animation. I know that people had given up on Shenmue but that has to be in contention for the worst, relative to the standard of the current time, ever.

Well, I think in this case they just have to add it. It seems obvious to me they just didn't put it in for whatever reason in this teaser.

Jcgamer60

Shenhua's dress looks awful but the environments are pretty, I'm sure animation and faces will be better in the final game but probably not close to what people expect this days.

I want this game for the story, everything else is secondary.

I personally play the games for the experience and the sheer sense of immersion,

Eylos

Banned
Man people are mean, sometimes. Its ok to criticize, but its a wip, so we cant take this as the final product, and some things are Very good already, If they fix the faces, It will look Very good even to AAA big budgets titles.

*ding dong*

Gif delivery.

vi7YvXU.gif

VanbpYw.gif

IeHrUn7.gif

jyez9Bw.gif

Gee it sure is a shame YSnet made these nice environments then decided to not improve any visual aspect of their game for the near year/year and a half before release, right guys?

Right...?

Nice work. For real, these environnements are amazing. Now all they need is to work on the animations and facial animations.

Poor Yu, lol. He penned the logo himself. :(

Stuff like this worries me about the development. I love Yu Suzuki but I doubt he has really been doing calligraphy in his spare time or something.

Leave stuff like this up to professionals. If he wanted to go the calligraphy angle, he could have easily found a very talented calligrapher.

He's an influential creator, but he's not Superman. Just delegate this stuff out like you should.

I still think they should have avoided cutting a trailer in this state, but I can understand the pressure to show something.

I just can't understand why they would present such a horrid logo to the public.

Paracelsus

I like the uncanny valley Dreamcast feel with more polygons and hd textures stacked on top. I like it more than I thought I would.

zeopower6

Do hyped
Do we know when this is supposed to come out?

Was supposed to be late 2017 but delayed a year out so now the release timeframe is late 2018.

Also this build we are seeing is from about a year ago according to someone who was at the Kickstarter dinner.

Stuff like this worries me about the development. I love Yu Suzuki but I doubt he has really been doing calligraphy in his spare time or something.

Leave stuff like this up to professionals. If he wanted to go the calligraphy angle, he could have easily found a very talented calligrapher.

He's an influential creator, but he's not Superman. Just delegate this stuff out like you should.

I still think they should have avoided cutting a trailer in this state, but I can understand the pressure to show something.

I just can't understand why they would present such a horrid logo to the public.

It could have been Sony. But also knowing that this is year old footage I wonder if whatever we'll see next is much more refined.

Spaghetti

The quote in the KS update sheds some light on it. Honestly though? It'll be back to cursive before Gamescom is even over. I mean, they didn't even change the website like they did when they binned Papyrus. This was Yu's last stand on a non-cursive logo, and he's genuinely inviting opinion from fans.

Do hyped
Do we know when this is supposed to come out?
2nd half of 2018. Could be June, could be December, could be anywhere in-between.

The quote in the KS update sheds some light on it. Honestly though? It'll be back to cursive before Gamescom is even over. I mean, they didn't even change the website like they did when they binned Papyrus. This was Yu's last stand on a non-cursive logo, and he's genuinely inviting opinion from fans.

2nd half of 2018. Could be June, could be December, could be anywhere in-between.

The good thing is, they don't even need to pay money to make a new one. Just go back to the June one which was perfect.

.Anema

Can't wait for the reviews of this game lol. Everything is so weird about the development and now this teaser. Oh god.

I won't believe it until I have the game installed and booted up on my PS4.

But tears in my eyes. I finished Shenmue 2 in 2003 and have been left waiting ever since.

Looks pretty good to me... very Shenmue, which is what I want from this game!

Provided they fix up the faces of course. I'm pretty happy with character models, and the environments look excellent.

I do hope sony or someone steps in with some money and help, it's bizzare to even see ps2 games with that lack of facial animation at this point in development.

D-Man

Faces look rough but everything else looks fantastic, especially those environments.

Excited to check this out.

lantus

Well environments looked ok I guess. Everything related to the faces and characters themselves definitely needs a lot of work.

Spaghetti

First teaser? The game got announced two years ago? If that's not a red flag I don't know what is.
The game's Kickstarter was announced two years ago. The funding didn't complete until July, they probably couldn't draw it down until August or later, plus there was on-paper development before the prototype could start, hiring, getting a bigger office, and-

Are you sure your red flag isn't actually blue? Is it even a flag?

Somebody help me out here...

Has Yu Suzuki ever made a bad game?
IDK you could maybe say his mobile efforts, but I've never played them and I'm probably just prejudice because they're mobile; and in reality Japanese mobile dev hell was kind of his idea of soft-retirement anyway.

Fuck, I dunno. Guy's got a record of producing, directing, and designing hits longer than pretty much anybody else in the industry this side of Miyamoto anyway.

Zedark

Damn, those environments look good! Characters could look better, but it's all in all better than I expected it to look for a kickstarter funded game.

Velikost

At the risk of getting into trouble, its worth it to see some of the shocking reactions ive read over the last 6 pages.

In the name of transparency, I can say that 90% of what was in that trailer we were shown a year ago at the Kickstarter dinner. There is a strategy to what's being shown. If you think this was put together last week that's your business, I am just telling you that the majority of that footage is at least a year old, some even 18 months old now.

Take from it what you will. Also, for those looking for Yakuza level character detail, maybe throw a few extra bucks onto the ongoing PayPal for the game, since this is a low funded title without a multi million dollar development studio behind it.

That's good to hear. I'll be honest, I'm not sure about putting out a year old trailer with the characters looking so stiff and a lack of facial animation, but I trust Yu

Heartfyre

That's good to hear. I'll be honest, I'm not sure about putting out a year old trailer with the characters looking so stiff and a lack of facial animation, but I trust Yu

I feel the same, but it's worth saying...they called this a Progress Video in their Kickstarter update. You'd think we'd be seeing recent progress rather than work completed 12-18 months ago. It's certainly a marketing strategy, but it's also a mite deceptive.

N.A

Banned
People sure seem to want this game to fail.

Looks very SEGA-like to me. Obviously some of the characters need work but the environments are beautiful.

People sure seem to want this game to fail.

Looks very SEGA-like to me. Obviously some of the characters need work but the environments are beautiful.

Well, some people do. But let's be fair, some aspects are really rough. They shouldnt focus on faces in the video if it looks this bad.

eso76

Keeping in mind that characters being completely lifeless is something I assume will change by release, I liked what I saw.
Environments have a distinct Sega look to them, detailed and colourful.
It does look like a weird hybrid between something modern and something from the 90s and you know what, I think that suits Shenmue perfectly: something suspended between 1999 and 2018.

I didn't pay attention to the logo itself, but the way it appears.. man, was that cheap.
I mean, just grab a 29.9$ After Effects logo sting project from Videohive.
Or I could do it and give them when I have time. It's one of the things I do for a living.

Jhn

Somehow the faces look... Photoshopped onto their 3D assets somehow? Looks super-strange in motion for some reason. Like in this sequence with Ryo.
He actually looks good from some angles, but then the camera changes and he suddenly turns into shitty fan-art. It's weird.

Edit: Think I figured out what I mean. Ryos face is weirdly lit and almost always brighter than the scene should make it, so it looks pasted on.

Otherwise it actually looked pretty cool.

Top Bottom