• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 owners who upgraded to PS4 Pro, was it worth it?

I have an Xbox One S, PS4 and PSVR.

I was looking into upgrading to Xbox One X or PS4 in the coming months. Playing PS4 more just now, and with little exclusives bar sea of thieves coming out that interest me and a large backlog on PS4 (Horizon, Uncharted 4 to name a couple) and with PSVR I am tempted to jump to the Pro.

People who have, how do you find the Pro? Was it a worthwhile upgrade overall? Any annoyances you have?

With the psvr in mind surely the pro is the better choice than a Xbox one x?

That way you get more out of both your psvr and high def gaming?

Kremzeek

absolutely. (for the extra hard drive space too)

but i think ONLY if you have a big 4K TV to appreciate it.

Torgo

It's gotten much better since launch, especially with "Boost Mode". It's especially great to have if you have PS VR, because a lot of games benefit from the extra power.

AmuroChan

Yes. I was going to purchase a second PS4 for my house anyway. I already have a 4K HDR TV so for $100 more it was a no-brainer to get the Pro rather than the Slim.

It will for sure improve PSVR.

As for me I love it. I appreciated the upgrade in harddrive space and stuff like menus loading faster. Also having some games run at higher framerates has been pretty good.

I was looking into upgrading to Xbox One X or PS4 in the coming months. Playing PS4 more just now, and with little exclusives bar sea of thieves coming out that interest me and a large backlog on PS4 (Horizon, Uncharted 4 to name a couple) and with PSVR I am tempted to jump to the Pro.

People who have, how do you find the Pro? Was it a worthwhile upgrade overall? Any annoyances you have?

For me, it was but it's entirely subjective. I have a 4k TV with HDR and the difference between 1080p and 2160cb is noticeable to me.

Ozorov

BF1 runs much smoother, so yes.

Oneself

Definitely worth it if you are into IQ or smoother framerates. If not, it won't be totally worth it. PS4 Pro helps PSVR a lot.

Absolutely, as a future psvr owner the ps4pro is really the only console to go with. Also the increased resolution and framerate modes are great for the PlayStation exclusives and third parties.

AndersK

Yes. I do have a 4k TV, though. Ended up ebaying my OG Ps4 for a nice price just around the pro release, and got the pro via a Amazon warehouse deal for 50 quid less. Ended up paying 117 bucks for the upgrade.

No UHD is annoying, insofar as I have to spend some Buckaroos on a dedicated player, which will at least be superior.

But make no mistake, it's an enthusiast device. No reason for everyone to have/want one. This goes doubly for Xbox one X.

xabbott

If you have PSVR and enjoy it then go Pro imo. It does improve the image quality. I have it (and PSVR) but I didn't end up using VR much and I'm kind of down on the experience to be honest. I also haven't been happy with the PS4 Pro support from 3rd parties. Sony's exclusives have been amazing on it though.

I've already pre-ordered the One X. So far it appears to benefit older titles much better so I think having both out at the same time should improve 3rd party situation for both consoles in the future.

SheHateMe

I've had mine since January.

It's worth it for me. I kept my OG PS4 and threw the 1TB in there and bought a 2TB to throw into the Pro.

Got a 4K TV shortly thereafter and it cemented even more that I had a great purchase.

panda-zebra

Have PS.VR and a largeish 4k TV with HDR, so yes worth it. If you sell a ps4 and replace it with a new pro, you get the 2 yr guarantee and the cost isn't all that much so sweetens the deal.

Yes, as someone with a 4K TV I can tell a pretty big difference in most games. The only negative with it is the exclusion of a 4k drive, but I am getting an X1X for that.

Kaversmed

Wanted the Pro for a while now but held off simply because I wanted a Pro in white. Sony heard my prayers...

glacier_white_ps4_pro_vertical_4800.0.jpg

Pre-ordered and incoming!

For PSVR, yes -- absolutely, though I rarely play it anymore. I got my PSVR with my vanilla PS4 about a month before the launch of the Pro, and I did see a noticeable step up in my favorite PSVR titles after getting the Pro.

For my 1080p display? Tougher for me to lean on a "yes" that would please everyone that reads my personal testimony here, though I do feel like with the particular games that I've played since I got it, I've overall had an improvement. Not a drastic one, mind you, but generally, yes, my games have been improved, at least going off of other people's tests (such as Digital Foundry). There have been a few exceptions, but the vast majority of the types of games I like to play have still seen gains.

I'm looking to get into 4K HDR hopefully by the end of this year, but maybe within the first half of next. From what I gather, PS4 Pro will have decent gains there since the general dev community seem to have doubled down on that being the main target for game improvements. I know it will be really rare to experience native 4K content via the Pro, but it does seem that enhancements not only sometimes exclusively occur only via 4K+HDR displays, but generally seem more appreciable there, even when games downsample or have improvements on 1080p displays.

Mad1723

Great for me as a graphics whore, boost mode helps alleviate certain games' performance and my 4K HDR TV loves it :p It's fine, didn't set the world on fire for me though

It's alright. Mainly did it for the VR which I knew I was getting as a gift. If you took that out of the equation, I would have stuck with the standard one.

PSVR is totally worth it.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I definitely think it was. It makes such a difference in certain games especially. Not just in terms of visuals, but processing. I play MLB The Show religiously and I can tell you that it performs better on the Pro. I'd also been playing Mafia III at release and finished it out on the PS4 Pro. The performance difference pre-patches was noticeable.

Eggbok

For me, yes! I've had my Pro since release and don't regret it. More space and 4k screenshots, I spend more time taking screens than anything so it's definitely worth it. I have over 150gb of screens/vids on my Pro lol.

Kyoufu

Let's see, better visuals/performance and it doesn't sound like a shuttle headed for outer space? Yes, it was worth it.

BriGuy

The most obvious improvement is in PSVR games. Otherwise, I mean, I guess I could have gotten by with just a standard PS4. The Pro isn't a game changer or anything. That being said, if you haven't bought any version of PS4 yet, I would encourage you to shell out the extra $100.

gothmog

Gold Member
I believe it was worth it. The system seems snappier and PSVR definitely benefits from it. Regular games wise its a mixed bag.

I would say definitely worth it. I have a 4k TV, games and apps look great. PSVR is miles better on PRO. On base PS4, PSVR always looked very blurry.

Socivol

I would say so. I upgraded so I could play FFXV in 1080p at all times but since then I got a 4k TV and playing Horizon is 4K was well worth the money. I was also able to sell my original PS4 for $200 so it wasn't as big of a hit to my wallet.

Rpgmonkey

I bought one two weeks ago because I bought a 4K TV last year, which was honestly fine until I got kinda annoyed with how Dragon Quest XI looks on this TV on the base PS4. Since I had money to spare, I decided to get one.

It's ok. It's a little quieter than my base PS4 and the visual improvement is pretty noticeable. I have no interest in VR whatsoever and didn't really have any problems with the performance of the games I play on the PS4, so if I didn't end up buying a 4K TV and didn't have the spare cash, I wouldn't have bought one.

Tempted by white destiny 2 model as well.

Some interesting posts. A bit more divided than I thought it would be.

The majority of older games this gen and third party games I've got on the Xbox as all of my friends are on it.

Its just very difficult to tell how good it is without seeing it in person.

Not really to be honest, would've been just fine with a og4, will say the games do look more crisp in 4k, I also sold my PS4 so did t pay much more for the pro.

Top Bottom