• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Drivers For Xbox One Controller? [up: Penello brings everyone kittens]

Don't really care i'm not buying Xbone anyway so I'd have to buy pad separately if i decide to get rid of my x360 pad i use for pc.

Haunted

That was literally the only way they would be getting any money from me for a piece of hardware this generation.

And now they don't even want that $50 from me? Alright Microsoft, bit weird but I guess you've made your choice.

forrest

formerly nacire
tumblr_inline_mv7hieEOpO1rima5v.gif

2d1nskozcuzw.gif

BTW, DS4 works great on PC, both as generic controller and via that DS4Tool app that emulates X360 gamepad.

wgx88am.jpg

Actually I don't mind. Maybe it will encourage devs to support controllers in a more generic way.

sm_bullshit5wqn7.gif

My wireless 360 pads are still going strong on my pc so no need to upgrade just yet. I really hope that Microsoft doesn't take this rumored greedy approach though.

Hmmmm....

I don't understand the move.

So now DS4 becomes the PC controller of choice. After getting use to the controller you prefer it and perform better at it, which would reinforce going PS4 for multiplats even further.

What is the logic?

Durante

Yeah but the real reason I give a shit is because the Dpad doesn't suck. That's all I want: A good Xinput controller with two sticks and a not-shitty Dpad. Right now the best option is the MLG pad which is freaking $100.
Why not a DS4 (or DS3 for that matter)?

Now? To me it had the superior controller for PC from the first day it went on sale.
IMHO, they had the superior PC controller since the PS3 went on sale -- or certainly since the good DS3 drivers were released.

Thrakier

Hmmmm....

I don't understand the move.

So now DS4 becomes the PC controller of choice. After getting use to the controller you prefer it and perform better at it, which would reinforce going PS4 for multiplats even further.

What is the logic?

The last time I tried the PS4 controller (around January), the performance was pretty sub-par. Issues with lag, spazzing, games not supporting it, drivers fucking up etc. - it's not even close to the 360 PC controller experience, which is the same as on console.

Lucifon

Seeing a lot of people jumping to a conclusions from an article on a completely unknown site. Clickbait until confirmed.

IF it is true, then I'm pretty sure we just see the 360 pad stay as the defacto PC controller. Those things are cheap, and still arguably the best controller around.

Dr. Buni

True or not, Microsoft is one of the worst things to happen to PC gaming. Terrible company. It sure would be great if Linux becomes a viable alternative.
They are the worst thing to happen to gaming as a whole, not only PC gaming. Terrible company indeed.

Anyways, I was really hoping to buy a Xbox One controller to use on my new PC. Never mind that, will pick a new Xbox 360 controller or maybe a Dual Shock 4.

VaizardNL

Banned
They are the worst thing to happen to gaming as a whole, not only PC gaming. Terrible company indeed.

Anyways, I was really hoping to buy a Xbox One controller to use on my new PC. Never mind that, will pick a new Xbox 360 controller or maybe a Dual Shock 4.

At least they bring some games to the PC? Yes it could be more, but it is a business and guess what? Money needs to be earned and your products need to be sold.

They could also just say; fuck the PC and release their games on the Xbox One or Xbox 360 only like Sony and Nintendo do. Maybe try to open your eyes a bit, it isn't as simple as it sounds when you provide an OS for the PC and a console. Decisions need to be made to get the best out of it.

I highly doubt this rumor is true and wasn't there a youtube vid already online that showed the Xbox One controller working with a PC game? And didn't MS use PC's during the E3 as people were claiming? Let's just wait and see what happens before we start making all sorts of accusations again. If it does happen to be true, we shouldn't hold back and show them how unhappy we are, but we haven't reached that point yet.

MattXIII

I know this is just a rumour but its sad nonetheless.

Was really hoping to use my Killer Instinct Arcade Stick for the pc release of Ultra SFIV later this year >_>

This has been a long time coming and was something I've suspected for a while now. There was simply no way a mere controller input driver based on an already supported and integrated API such as XInput would have taken this long to create. Remember, various people are already reverse-engineering it, but there are apparently some legal issues. If MS really goes ahead and does as the OP describes, I'd imagine a third-party driver will eventually find its way out to the internet out of sheer spite.

If, as some here seem to suggest, this rumour was simply clickbait, then that's a good way to kill your new site immediately. Lying about non-existent sources is a pretty egregious offence, so I'd hope no one with a new site to promote would want that.

Seeing a lot of people jumping to a conclusions from an article on a completely unknown site. Clickbait until confirmed.

IF it is true, then I'm pretty sure we just see the 360 pad stay as the defacto PC controller. Those things are cheap, and still arguably the best controller around.

Negative news seem to get more traction around here, even if they're unconfirmed, from an unknown source or misleading (latest DriveClub thread for example).

Like it was said before, people in here eat it up, because Microsoft behaved like a bunch of incompetent assholes before. That doesn't make this rumor more believable, though. The way it was written should give it away.

Qassim

I'd buy a separate controller anyway. The reason I don't use my Dualshock 4 on my PC is synchronising it to my PS4 and PC is more hassle than I care for.

So it's not an issue for me - I'd be buying a new wireless controller regardless.

neoism

Good it's the worst feeling controller I ever used fucking hate the sticks. Still got my 360 pad which is a million times better

That was literally the only way they would be getting any money from me for a piece of hardware this generation.

And now they don't even want that $50 from me? Alright Microsoft, bit weird but I guess you've made your choice.

But if you were only ever going to buy the controller and not the whole console then this changes nothing for you. You just buy the PC version instead of the console version.

Mit-

A lot of people don't seem to realize the convenience of a wireless controller on PC. I don't want to plug in a controller over USB. Dualshock4 will not and should not be the new standard.

What this really paves the way for is the Steam controller, which hopefully won't have shit drivers (Xinput is awful save for plug and play support--otherwise, no configuration and no dead zone settings for analog sticks unless programmed in by game developers).

The Steam controller drivers will hopefully be plug and play and open source and work for a variety of controllers and we can leave Microsoft out of the equation.

The only reason you needed a dongle for the Wireless 360 Controller was because it did not send data over the charging cable.

The X1 controller does, so I think this rumour itself is bullshit. Even if MS doesn't make the drivers, everyone has a micro USB cable and third party drivers would be made sooner or later.

Phiiiiil

Neo Member
The only reason you needed a dongle for the Wireless 360 Controller was because it did not send data over the charging cable.

The X1 controller does, so I think this rumour itself is bullshit. Even if MS doesn't make the drivers, everyone has a micro USB cable and third party drivers would be made sooner or later.
This

Also when the cable is plugged in, all wireless communication stops. This would mean that the pad could not be charged while playing. I suppose you could use batteries but why would they pass up the opportunity to sell a play and charge kit.

So... Sony has the superior controller for PC now?

Yes. Its standard BT so works wirelessly, uses touchpad to navigate menus, and best of all, you can change the color and intensity of that light or turn it off completely. In a way it works better with PC than it does with PS4.

mcrommert

Banned
Yeah lets all freak out and believe this rumor over Microsoft who have actually said its coming out. And we wonder why people speak disparagingly of Neogaf community

Not a good thing.
It was "standardized" enough as it was. Xinput has a lot less features than Dinput.

In a perfect world, the Xbox 360 controller would have simply used DirectInput instead of Xinput but you can't deny that standardized pad controls became more common after the GFW certifications were introduced.

ShapeGSX

i remember reading some people just buying the controller in anticipation for the windows drivers...

Honestly, that's pretty stupid to do. We all knew it would need an adapter to connect wirelessly. And the wired drivers should get released regardless.

Still, if the rumor is true (big if), then just buy the package with the adapter and sell the controller. What's the big deal?

LAA

I found this was released yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGXHejtLeII

Haven't tested yet, not so sure about using on W7, judging from the comments theres a little of an issue with W7.
I'm hoping it has trigger rumble support as really wanna test that, ha ha, but I'm guessing not.

EDIT: Should have put this up, seeing I guess people would find it hard to trust a youtube link as being proof enough, ha ha.
Came from this guy apparently: http://lucasassis.com/

2d1nskozcuzw.gif

BTW, DS4 works great on PC, both as generic controller and via that DS4Tool app that emulates X360 gamepad.

was just gonna say, hey sony, here's a nice and easy way to get a couple million more controller sales over the life of the console by swooping into PC gamepad market. I would certainly pick up a few in that case.

LAA

A lot of people would disagree with you on that.

Sigh not this again... I will never understand this argument, ha ha.
Why is it fine for the right analogue to be at the bottom, but heaven forbid the left on being at the bottom. Makes no sense to me at all. The thumbs touching each other is a valid reason, but seems its no longer a problem for DS4.
Isn't really a problem whether they choose to put analogues for me (...Within reason of course, ha ha), I can adjust to any controller just fine. Analogue placements arent enough to make me prefer another controller outright. Dependent on comfortability mostly and perhaps features.

Paz

The last time I tried the PS4 controller (around January), the performance was pretty sub-par. Issues with lag, spazzing, games not supporting it, drivers fucking up etc. - it's not even close to the 360 PC controller experience, which is the same as on console.

Have not experienced any lag or 'spazzing' but the issue of games not supporting it is entirely to do with the fact that it uses its own interface, sort of like how when you first got your x360 pad and it didn't work with any of your old games - Except because DS4 doesn't use an entirely new interface it does work with some existing games.

It will never use XInput (360 pad interface) as a native solution though due to a variety of reasons, so you'll likely have to deal with driver hacks if you want it to emulate a 360 pad. Or just wait for games to start supporting it properly.

Edit - Also for the folks saying just use Valves controller you should know it works best as a KB+M replacement, not necessarily as a joystick replacement. Different games will always favor different control interfaces, KB/M, Steam pad, DS4.

Zemm

Sony and MS are really backwards when it comes to PC drivers. Expected in Sony's case, but the MS one surprises me when they saw just how well the 360 controller was received on the PC.

Draft

I'd be upset except that the Xbox 360 controller I already own is fine and won't be getting upgraded anytime soon.

Top Bottom