• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

ToxicAdam

Having trouble beating level 18 Daken (with soldiers), too many damn countdown tiles.

Save Daken for last. Bring a couple tile breakers (Black Storm and Hawkeye). Use your boosts (+20% against HAMMER, +3 AP all). Black Widow is a decent third, or if you have a strong Iron Man.

Keep any eye on all the red attack tiles that Daken makes. Too many of those and you will get chewed up fast.

Use Storm to cleanup the board when it gets too cluttered with countdown tiles or environmental tiles. Use Hawkeye as a last resort to eliminate a row if a countdown tile gets to 1. Use Hawkeyes purple power to target next to a countdown tile to take it out.

Use Widow's freeze ability on Daken at the end. That way you can set up the board to make big matches and he can't heal.

ToxicAdam

Storm is great because whatever tiles she breaks will increase you AP counts. The more covers you get for her the more tiles she can break (and the AP cost is lowered).

Early on you should be grinding to get every cover you can. Hammer those old boards you've beaten until you get all 4/4 and get all the easy PVP ranks you can.

All your ISO should be going into leveling up your mainline characters (wait until they get hurt, because leveling them up will heal them and save you from using a health pack).

Storm is great because whatever tiles she breaks will increase you AP counts. The more covers you get for her the more tiles she can break (and the AP cost is lowered).

Is this Modern Storm you're talking about?

I have her maxed at 4/4/5 and I never use her. Always rely on Hawkeye and Bag Man to break my tiles. I'll have to try.

ToxicAdam

Yea, you can luck out with Modern Storm (black) and break the countdown tiles (it is random which ones break) or you can at the very least make the board more agreeable to break those hard to reach countdown tiles. Of course her red power is awesome because it can clear away those annoying environmental tiles and make the board easier to make matches.

Also, a maxed out Storm (level 50) will lay down attack tiles that can hit for -7 each (her black power). Which I've seen hit for 100-170 hps per round. Mine isn't that high, but I've gone against her in PVP battles.

redcrayon

Phew, finally beat Lv 115 Ragnarok in the last campaign mission, with Lv.40 Spidey, Lv.30 Black Widow, and Lv.31 Classic Storm.

They are a pretty good team- although Ragnorok hits for 600 with only two red ap, Black Widow kept stealing his ap, and Spidey kept a constant chain of webs up that not only stunned him, but also ensured that, when I did get hit, my healing ability could more than cope with it. Plus Storm hitting him back for 600 each time.

Just mopping up the last few rewards that give me hero points or recruit tokens, then it's back to multiplayer.

I have to say I'm really enjoying this- once you get half a dozen characters at a decent level so you have effectively two teams you can cycle, the healing time isn't so much a problem. I put in 30 minutes or so on my lunch break most days, and still haven't spent a penny. It's really harsh at the start though which probably puts off a lot of people. Also, multiplayer is really savage, there's probably more they can do to match new players with people they stand a chance against.

I've given up on the shield rankings- I just don't play enough to offset my loss in rankings each day, I got up to 800 or so once, but am now down to 400 or so.

New week long Free For All tournament is up.

Time to not join it and see if it gets easier tomorrow!

The Rank prizes don't seem worth waiting.

Also it's PVP so it wouldn't really matter. I think the "rule" I described would only be for that Unstable ISO kind of challenge, where you're against AI and it really matters who's also fighting at the same time in the same bucket.

PVP, it's a free for all so there's always going to be people beating the stuffing out of you.

Unstable ISO, everyone had to do the same exact things against the same exact opponents so you could really make great strides if you got lucky. In PVP I don't think the same logic would hold.

Does that make any sense? It does in my head.

heringer

Ugh, I did something stupid. I told the game to link to my Facebook account but I thought it would ask me which account. Instead it only connected with my original, heh.

Is there a way to un-link it?

YOU CAN SWIPE THE OPPONENTS TEAM ALL THE WAY TO THE LEFT TO SEE WHAT THEY'VE GOT.

I'm a moron. I can't believe I didn't realize this before.

Sulik2

Juggernaut seems kind of broken, I wish i had used him when I was building early. That green move destroys almost always guarantees a chain and head but does a stupid amount of damage. Definitely have to try and resource deny/stun lock him to beat him.

Juggernaut seems kind of broken, I wish i had used him when I was building early. That green move destroys almost always guarantees a chain and head but does a stupid amount of damage. Definitely have to try and resource deny/stun lock him to beat him.

I spent the day experimenting with Juggernaut and Modern Storm as counter-breakers and holy hell...I really appreciate the recommendations. Wow. Super effective.

ToxicAdam

Next patch deets

Gameplay

Heroes that level will no longer be able to avail themselves of a free instant Health Pack to return to full health. However, S.H.I.E.L.D. quartermasters are working feverishly to mitigate this attack. They've managed to raise the Agent's Health Pack maximum to 5 from 4 and lower the amount of time it takes to requisition a new Health Pack to 36 minutes from 96. Health Pack costs have risen slightly as well, from 15 for 1, 60 for 5 to 25 for 1, 100 for 5.
- H.A.M.M.E.R. soldiers have become more aggressive when Agents and their teams fall back from combat, much as Tournament opponents do now. When retreating, damage equal to one third of each character’s health will be suffered.
- Tons of back end changes to support upcoming UI changes and future Event types
UI
- Ability maximums are now listed for each character in the Ability Screen for each character
Characters
- Added upgrades to Levels 2-4 of Daken's Pheremone Rage
Level 2: +10% Strike tile strength
Level 3: +10% Strike tile strength
Level 4: +20% Strike tile strength

Blah

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I have like 8 guys in a queue and nothing to give me hero points on the horizon ; (

I actually always leave a spendable cover (to upgrade or sell) as last on my collection so that when I'm full I can just use that one and get a spot, then grab spendable covers from my deposit and use them but always keeping one around on my collection. That way I'm almost never stuck and can decided which covers I grab from deposit or at least wait until I have one I can use to upgrade a character I own already, instead of having the game automatically filling up my last free spot on my collection with a random cover and potentially holding me from using/grabbing any other cover until I pay for another slot.

Hopefully I made myself clear and that's not too convoluted of a write-up, it's way past 5AM here folks :p

Gameplay

Heroes that level will no longer be able to avail themselves of a free instant Health Pack to return to full health. However, S.H.I.E.L.D. quartermasters are working feverishly to mitigate this attack. They've managed to raise the Agent's Health Pack maximum to 5 from 4 and lower the amount of time it takes to requisition a new Health Pack to 36 minutes from 96. Health Pack costs have risen slightly as well, from 15 for 1, 60 for 5 to 25 for 1, 100 for 5.
- H.A.M.M.E.R. soldiers have become more aggressive when Agents and their teams fall back from combat, much as Tournament opponents do now. When retreating, damage equal to one third of each character’s health will be suffered.
- Tons of back end changes to support upcoming UI changes and future Event types
UI
- Ability maximums are now listed for each character in the Ability Screen for each character
Characters
- Added upgrades to Levels 2-4 of Daken's Pheremone Rage
Level 2: +10% Strike tile strength
Level 3: +10% Strike tile strength
Level 4: +20% Strike tile strength

Health pack time down to a third of what it was, that's good. Biggest gripe about this game is waiting for your team to heal. Not healing through levelling though sucks.

So can't retreat anymore when you get a terrible board without getting 1/3 health off? That's a bummer, would get some awful starting boards sometimes.

heringer

Hey guys. Next time someone in my list of Facebook friends get the chance to gift someone, could you check if I'm available? Customer support said they unlinked my previous Facebook account.

I actually always leave a spendable cover (to upgrade or sell) as last on my collection so that when I'm full I can just use that one and get a spot, then grab spendable covers from my deposit and use them but always keeping one around on my collection. That way I'm almost never stuck and can decided which covers I grab from deposit or at least wait until I have one I can use to upgrade a character I own already, instead of having the game automatically filling up my last free spot on my collection with a random cover and potentially holding me from using/grabbing any other cover until I pay for another slot.

Hopefully I made myself clear and that's not too convoluted of a write-up, it's way past 5AM here folks :p

I don't follow you at all. Why would you keep (for example) a one star Black Widow cover if you also have her maxed out at level 40 with 5/5 powers?

ToxicAdam

He wants to push all his bonus covers into his cache so it can give him some time (a week?) to gain more gold currency to buy a new slot for them.

He wants to push all his bonus covers into his cache so it can give him some time (a week?) to gain more gold currency to buy a new slot for them.

Is the intent to buff up some of the bonus covers so that he could have multiple low tier characters with expanded stats?

redcrayon

No, he means that, by keeping his covers full, he can then sell the rubbish one in his final slot and choose which one to fill the slot with from his cache, using up the useful ones first and thus making sure that no usable covers are hanging around in the cache, inaccessible due to the game filling up the last cover slot with something else.

It's a way of making sure that he can control what cover appears next in his covers list when gaining covers, by making sure there isn't an empty spot, it means he can choose from the cache.

It's like moving boxes around in a room- you need one empty/controllable space to give you room to manouver, if that makes any sense!

No, he means that, by keeping his covers full, he can then sell the rubbish one in his final slot and choose which one to fill the slot with from his cache, using up the useful ones first and thus making sure that no usable covers are hanging around in the cache, inaccessible due to the game filling up the last cover slot with something else.

It's a way of making sure that he can control what cover appears next in his covers list when gaining covers, by making sure there isn't an empty spot, it means he can choose from the cache.

It's like moving boxes around in a room- you need one empty/controllable space to give you room to manouver, if that makes any sense!

I understand - thanks.

I'm in a position where I always have an empty slot (18 in total) so I couldn't reconcile the need...but I get where he's coming from.

Just to be clear, he's not actually influencing the random cover you get from using a Cover Chit when he does this, right?

Sulik2

Leveling won't heal anymore? Well time to stop playing. They clearly don't want people playing the game without dropping insane amounts of money on health packs.

heringer

To be fair, apparently they are doing terrible business wise. A f2p Marvel match 3 game nowhere to be found in top grossing? Expect more updates trying to go for our wallets.

We'll see if the reduced cool down for health packs will somewhat offset this change.

redcrayon

Just to be clear, he's not actually influencing the random cover you get from using a Cover Chit when he does this, right?
Absolutely not, no, just maintaining control of exactly which one of the covers in his cache moves to the single spot he is keeping free, so he can prioritise using upgrades first rather than it filling with a random character, that, if he wants to keep it, stops him gaining the others without buying more space.

Ah, I see where the confusion is, sorry, when I said 'gaining covers' I meant 'taking them from the cache', sorry for not being clear.

redcrayon

Leveling won't heal anymore? Well time to stop playing. They clearly don't want people playing the game without dropping insane amounts of money on health packs.
Well, the health cool down has been vastly reduced, and you can carry an extra one now- it means that you can have far more frequent sessions but they are going to not be as long, I suppose.

To be honest, I've got two pretty good teams now, and try to make sure I finish every match on a big group heal from Spidey, so I tend to play for about 30 minutes or so a day. It's pretty rough at the start though, which I don't think is going to help them- I would have added a mechanic where characters under level 10 heal pretty much instantly just to help people get a couple of low level teams going at the start.

ToxicAdam

My big problem with the change is that I didn't mind the Health Pack timers being so long because I only get to play early in the AM and late at night. So, I would use my ISO to level up and replenish when I spent all my HP. Then by night time, I was all filled back up again.

So, the rule change will probably be beneficial for people that get the chance to play 4-5 times during the day. But everyone else gets screwed a bit. Especially if you have lower ranked heroes that are so easy to level up.

Aside from the money aspect of it, they probably want to encourage people to try more heroes. The problem is that when you do that (try lesser characters) in PVP, that weaker team than becomes your representative against opponents, making you a more likely target.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Absolutely not, no, just maintaining control of exactly which one of the covers in his cache moves to the single spot he is keeping free, so he can prioritise using upgrades first rather than it filling with a random character, that, if he wants to keep it, stops him gaining the others without buying more space.

Ah, I see where the confusion is, sorry, when I said 'gaining covers' I meant 'taking them from the cache', sorry for not being clear.

Yep, you nailed it!
Again, sorry if I made it too convoluted but it was waaaay past bed time when I wrote that :p

For reference, I have 16 cover spots. Working on getting my 17th tomorrow (spending 150 coins for a free spot sucks, I wish it was 50 coins still :p)

Still can't beat Daken!!! Getting fed up now, it seems like the game is seriously unbalanced at times.

I play really well and slowly take the health down of all three, and out of nowhere one move leads to a cascade that heals them almost back to full and kills one or two of my team.

My game was updated but leveling still healed my character....interesting.

This Facebook integration has really paid off.

Just today:

1550 ISO
1 x Black Widow
1 x Black Widow
1 x Juggernaut
1 x Recruit (one star)

Limit

Is there a tier list of characters illuminating which cards are absolutely worth keep and which ones can be disposed of? I am earning new characters faster than coins used for opening new slots and so far I have let go of Hawkeye (one star version) and the character with paperbag on his face. My collection just became full again when I received Doctor Doom (3 star) and I am contemplating deleting Captain America (2 star), Hawkeye (2 star), or Venom to make more room.

am_dragon

Still no way to unlink a facebook account? Gah.

If you are talking about iOS here is how I did it. In my Facebook account settings I removed the Puzzle Quest app. In iPhone Settings > Facebook log out of Facebook.

Launch the Puzzle Quest App, on the home screen, tap the settings gear, tap the Facebook icon, you should get an error that it can't connect or is not authorized.

In iPhone Settings > Facebook, log into Fake Facebook account.

Launch the Puzzle Quest App, on the home screen, tap the settings gear, tap the Facebook icon, you are now authorized with the new account. You can log back into your real Facebook account in Settings > Facebook and the Puzzle Quest will be authorized and connected to your fake account.

parasight

Needing Hero Points to expand your Collection is super annoying. I don't think there's any way for me to earn anymore without buying.

If you are talking about iOS here is how I did it. In my Facebook account settings I removed the Puzzle Quest app. In iPhone Settings > Facebook log out of Facebook.

Launch the Puzzle Quest App, on the home screen, tap the settings gear, tap the Facebook icon, you should get an error that it can't connect or is not authorized.

In iPhone Settings > Facebook, log into Fake Facebook account.

Launch the Puzzle Quest App, on the home screen, tap the settings gear, tap the Facebook icon, you are now authorized with the new account. You can log back into your real Facebook account in Settings > Facebook and the Puzzle Quest will be authorized and connected to your fake account.

This will retain my stats and everything?

twofold

My game was updated but leveling still healed my character....interesting.

This Facebook integration has really paid off.

Just today:

1550 ISO
1 x Black Widow
1 x Black Widow
1 x Juggernaut
1 x Recruit (one star)

Seconded. The amount of stuff I've gotten through the Facebook integration has blown my mind.

I've gotten close to 4,000 ISO, two recruit tokens, 5 juggernaut covers and an iron man cover in the last 24 hours alone.

Thank you, Marvel Puzzle Quest Gaf. You guys are awesome.

What's this all about? I beat an opponent that had promised me 27 points in PvP and this was the result:

V57JhY5.png

Top Bottom