• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4) announced, launch title [1080p/30fps]

Status
Not open for further replies.
wuwKsPK.jpg

A lot of people predicted the whole 1080p but still 30fps thing a while back now.

Yes 60fps is better for the most part than 30fps.

No, most people wont care its 30 fps.

If most people wont care then devs will push the graphics more as that will help it look better in screen shots. 60 fps is also not noticable on a tv advert is it? So again just go with 30.

For me 30fps is not as good but its fine. Its when it drops below that it gets annoying. The BF games on xbox seemed to always be in the 20's and it just made it all feel slow. 30 FPS locked is perfectly fine for the most part.

Anyway. Game looks OK. Really don't know how much I care about fps's these days though. Maybe by time PS4 is out I will be in the mood for one again.

edit
Also I am pretty sure I read some where that CoD doesnt actually run at a solid 60 fps. It fluctuates in the 40's and 50's. On consoles that is.

I don't understand this 30 FPS is just for screenshots sentiment. People can't appreciate God of War Ascension in-game because of its low frame rate? Really? Head over to Digital foundry and look at how many 30 FPS titles they call state of the art on console. Games running at 30 will be just fine if console devs make that choice.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I know we had the jetpacks and walking mech unit things in KZ3, so would anyone else like to see this expanded on with more "vehicles" or things to get around in?

Personally I'd be up for it. I'd also like to see more guns introduced, as there just wasn't enough of them in KZ3 imo. Maybe double the number of what we had.

Endo Punk

Not that I care for this game at all but judging by what they showed there is no way at its current state the game can't run at 60FPS. If anything Im less impresed with the visuals because for 30FPS it really doesn't look all that special but if if was 60FPS I would have been impressed. Then again it is running on an early dev kit.

slider

Seeing this thread flip on and off the front page I took another look at the PS4 reveal video. Specifically the segment where this was featured.

I can honestly say I'm very hyped for it. The gameplay looked a teeny bit "been there, done that" if I'm honest. But the visual fidelity had me excited and I find that kind of thing incredibly immersive.

C'mon GG, ensure this is a launch game because I can't wait to play it.

Not that I care for this game at all but judging by what they showed there is no way at its current state the game can't run at 60FPS. If anything Im less impresed with the visuals because for 30FPS it really doesn't look all that special but if if was 60FPS I would have been impressed. Then again it is running on an early dev kit.
Not really. You're not impressed because you don't know why you SHOULD be impressed. Especially since it's running on earlier hardware specifications.

I do find it strange that no devs ever make there console games have some graphical options for those people that want a faster frame rate. Even if it was as simple as graphics mode and performance mode and you choose.

sTeLioSco

Banned
It's 2013. We are heralding uber-powerful next-gen hardware. 60fps should be the fucking MINIMUM standard requirement by now, for fuck's sake.

most console games are 30fps,noone cares.

check the best games for consoles this year.tell me bioshock and tomb raider if they are 60fps.

noone cares. i didnt even read an article on ign to ever want 60fps.

pc elitists crying "60fps" are out of touch with reality and not even a vocal minority....just a minority.

Arulan

I do find it strange that no devs ever make there console games have some graphical options for those people that want a faster frame rate. Even if it was as simple as graphics mode and performance mode and you choose.

A lot of the time the console version (this generation) is already running at sub 720p, FXAA, and at low settings, there isn't that much they could lower further unless you're talking something drastic. That or design the game from the beginning to have even lower base settings.

In addition to, publishers save themselves the effort because they can take advantage that most of the console audience does not care or will not be bothered by performing additional steps aside from putting in the disc.

I agree though, it would be a nice feature to have.

most console games are 30fps,noone cares.

check the best games for consoles this year.tell me bioshock and tomb raider if they are 60fps.

noone cares. i didnt even read an article on ign to ever want 60fps.

I'm not quite sure if you're merely stating the facts regarding the console versions or giving your personal opinion on FPS, however I will say everyone should care about FPS. It is an essential, if not one of the most important details about a gaming experience, more so than any graphical setting. Not only does it effect the quality of the perceived image, it's "smoothness" but also severely affects gameplay in terms of response time and having tight controls.

http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

I'm not quite sure if you're merely stating the facts regarding the console versions or giving your personal opinion on FPS, however I will say everyone should care about FPS. It is an essential, if not one of the most important details about a gaming experience, more so than any graphical setting. Not only does it effect the quality of the perceived image, it's "smoothness" but also severely affects gameplay in terms of response time and having tight controls.

Only to a certain point.

Game running at 10-20 fps is game breaking for me

20-30 is annoying and detrimental to the experience but acceptable at times

30+ is a point that most people are fine with. From 30 and up its not a big issue to many people anymore.

A lot of the time the console version (this generation) is already running at sub 720p, FXAA, and at low settings, there isn't that much they could lower further unless you're talking something drastic. That or design the game from the beginning to have even lower base settings.

In addition to, publishers save themselves the effort because they can take advantage that most of the console audience does not care or will not be bothered by performing additional steps aside from putting in the disc.

I agree though, it would be a nice feature to have.

from what I understand there are ways to decoupple framerate from input polling.

Furthermore... very accurate motionblur (per-object, per-pixel, applied to particles) can make 30fps go along way visually to looking better and more cohesive.

Still... the quickest way to solve these problems is just to have the game run at a higher framerate.

I do not think PS4 buyers should come in with expectancy that games will be 60fps in the new gen. That has really never proven to be a reality before exlcuding cross generational titles or entirely new techniques.

Portugeezer

Didn't they say something like that at the PS4 reveal? Something about seeing the Helghast side of things.

Maybe I am just making this up.

Shayan

Banned
Hmm, well, we can't play as the Helghast in the campaign, but at least we might get something:

jxsaAavcjKj4T.png

definitely they will give you that option

The Helghasts are a popular clan and Guerilla will capitalize on that

I think the game might run at 60 fps at launch . Guerilla was building this with 4g gddr5 in mind

Portugeezer

I think the game might run at 60 fps at launch . Guerilla was building this with 4g gddr5 in mind

It's 30fps, they confirmed again recently "1080p 30fps" in that reflections video.

This 60fps obsession needs to stop, just play games on PC.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hmm, well, we can't play as the Helghast in the campaign, but at least we might get something:

jxsaAavcjKj4T.png

I think there might be a Romeo and Juliet-esque story in Shadow Fall. There was that one actress who said she was doing mocap and was the lead in SF but the player character is male. She could be a female Helghast companion for the Shadow Marshall you play as and they could be working together to stop the terrorists. She would likely be with the player through the majority of the game, like Rico in 2/3.

I wonder if E3 is too early for some multiplayer footage. I guess I gotta wait till gamescom :(.

Man E3 and next gen are so friggin close and still feels like an eternity.

jxsaAavcjKj4T.png

I'm sure they will. I'd go an personally smack them all if they didn't. It's a huge missed opportunity if they didn't. Hell they basically set up the whole premise already with the wall and everything.

Shayan

Banned

again , man lets not go into that discussion . It does affect since you can load large and complex textures in your RAM reducing GPU overload

in case you didnt understand what you posted :
" It’s interesting that the 2 GB GeForce GTX 660 Ti consistently beats the 3 GB model. So far, it looks like 3 GB of GDDR5 are too much for the 192-bit interface to handle efficiently."

Games built with 1 gig RAM in mind wont show that big of a jump when run on a system with 3g for instance. If you can load an entire game just from the memory, it will reduce CPU/GPU overload and hence you can have games running at higher rez. It is a question of optimization

Why wouldn't they have multiplayer at E3? They already showed the single player, albeit briefly.

If it's not on a good enough state that they want to show it. They could just as well show new single player footage.

I mean we are less than 2 months till Last of Us release and we have yet to know anything about the multiplayer.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why wouldn't they have multiplayer at E3? They already showed the single player, albeit briefly.

It depends on if they're going to be showing the heavily hinted PS4 version of Planetside 2 around E3 or not. Showing two major sci-fi FPS multiplayer modes close together might be a bad idea.

Radec

I wonder if E3 is too early for some multiplayer footage. I guess I gotta wait till gamescom :(.

Man E3 and next gen are so friggin close and still feels like an eternity.

They should seeing the game is already in testing phase.

I hope theres a coop horde mode.

It depends on if they're going to be showing the heavily hinted PS4 version of Planetside 2 around E3 or not. Showing two major sci-fi FPS multiplayer modes close together might be a bad idea.
planetside 2 is not a good game. it looks good but it is broken (pay to play, pay.to win). i put 40 hours into ps2 before giving up on it. it takes way too much time to unlock stuff, after unlocking landmines you can only equip one or two....then you it takes forever to unlock additional ammo slots.

yeah i am looking forward to shadow fall, you should too

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
planetside 2 is not a good game. it looks good but it is broken (pay to play, pay.to win). i put 40 hours into ps2 before giving up on it. it takes way too much time to unlock stuff, after unlocking landmines you can only equip one or two....then you it takes forever to unlock additional ammo slots.

LOL

I just meant that in terms of showing them close together at the same conference it may make it seem like the PS4 first party output it too similar. I'm very excited for Shadow Fall.

You put 40 hours into it. They already won.

You put 40 hours into it. They already won.
i was just playing it for the graphics, i never bought anything. sad thing is, ps2 would be incredible if it had a ranking system like battlefield. free 2 play borked it
LOL

I just meant that in terms of showing them close together at the same conference it may make it seem like the PS4 first party output it too similar. I'm very excited for Shadow Fall.
i doubt they will announce ps2 for ps4 at e3

kuroshiki

I don't think Guerilla is that smart. Don't get your hopes up.

Pot, meet kettle.

Avoiding insults for a second, I'm curious: are you suggesting that some devs deliberately cap their games at 30fps as a design choice, when those same games could actually update at 60fps with identical IQ? Or are you talking about the trade-off between a smooth frame rate and having the game look as 'nice' as possible in screenshots?

Ha. Obviously I'm talking about the trade-off. I mean, isn't that what it comes down to? Sacrifice the FPS to push more graphical bells and whistles? Even then, whether I'd prefer 60 or 30 with identical IQ compleeeeeeeeeeeeeeetely depends on the game's aesthetic profile and gameplay. KZ has and always will suit the shit out of 30 FPS in my eyes; and hey, as a bonus, I get more flourish. I honestly don't see how this can be argued.

Ce-Lin

" It’s interesting that the 2 GB GeForce GTX 660 Ti consistently beats the 3 GB model. So far, it looks like 3 GB of GDDR5 are too much for the 192-bit interface to handle efficiently."

old drivers there, not that extreme performance downgrade nowadays, 3 GB 660 Ti's perform better than those with 2 GB and when factory OC'd perform neck to neck with 670s and 7950s at 4xMSAA, though it's clear beyond 4xMSAA it's overkill for the 192 Bit bus, but as I said not as bad as it was before, check these more recent benchmarks compared to Tom's Hardware early analysis.

http://www.xtremehardware.com/recensioni/schede-video/gigabyte-gv-n66toc-3gd-una-geforce-gtx-660-ti-davvero-unica-201212107933/?start=17

I have a 7950 Boost but I tested a 660 Ti 3 GB and played Bioshock Infinite with 2.6 GB of VRAM used (ultra settings) at silky smooth 60 fps 1080p (with SMAA injector), no micro-stutter stuff Tom's Hardware said back there, only normal stuttering during mid-level split-second loading.

and sorry for this small off-topic : )

Piggus

It's pointless trying to argue with people who think 30fps is adequate. They always quote 'nicer graphics' while totally ignoring the fact that you cannot fucking APPRECIATE any added detail, fidelity, effects, whatever, when the graphics start moving at 30fps and turn into double ghost-image blurry mush. I prefer playing videogames that move while retaining their clarity, not just gazing at pretty screenshots.

It's 2013. We are heralding uber-powerful next-gen hardware. 60fps should be the fucking MINIMUM standard requirement by now, for fuck's sake.

lol...

You could have argued the exact same thing in 2005. This gen isn't any different, and it's silly t expect it to be any different with regard to framerate. It seems like a lot of people don't realize what 60 fps means in terms of rendering requirements. As long as people are happy with a locked, responsive 30 fps (which most people are), most devs will shoot for 30 fps with better visuals. If you want 60 fps in more games, then get into PC gaming.

It's pointless trying to argue with people who think 30fps is adequate. They always quote 'nicer graphics' while totally ignoring the fact that you cannot fucking APPRECIATE any added detail, fidelity, effects, whatever, when the graphics start moving at 30fps and turn into double ghost-image blurry mush. I prefer playing videogames that move while retaining their clarity, not just gazing at pretty screenshots.

Buy a PC

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It's 30fps, they confirmed again recently "1080p 30fps" in that reflections video.

This 60fps obsession needs to stop, just play games on PC.
It sure would be great to have a Killzone that didn't have triple digit input lag. But now I sound like I'm obsessed with responsive controls.

This needs to be quoted.

Killzone is looking amazing. Consoles are amazing. But if you want to be elitist then you really have to go with the more 'elitist hardware'. Otherwise the really great graphics will come at the cost of locking at 30fps.

Also 30fps is fine for most games anyway.

It sure would be great to have a Killzone that didn't have triple digit input lag. But now I sound like I'm obsessed with responsive controls.

It sure would, but there were only two brands this gen that didn't have triple digit input lag on consoles (CoD and RAGE). And there's a good chance that CoD will be the only one next-gen that can make that claim. If you're playing on consoles then 30fps is just something you have to accept for FPS games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Another Edge interview with Guerrilla, has little more info on the development.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/killzone-shadow-fall-and-the-power-of-playstation-4/

These two quotes bode well:

Van Der Leeuw says that “the drive and the reach for a larger environment has to do with more choice, more options, how you traverse being able to play a level in a different way, making it less corridor-y.”
This is a big deal to me. I'm glad they're focusing on traversal and different approaches. Stuff like that is what separates good FPS from great ones.

We had about sixty guys running around in the demo which is far over what we’ve been able to do before – that’s about three or four times more.
I didn't realize that there were that many NPCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom