• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MegaTen x Fire Emblem announced (Wii U)

mollipen

It's the Bayonetta 2 meltdown all over again.

Lets be fair here: Bayonetta 2 was being developed for the Xbox 360 and PS3, and that's where the fan base for the game was established. So, I think some people had a right to be upset.

Also, I don't know that people saying they'd like to see games avoid exclusivity on certain platforms is exactly a "meltdown".

CSX

And how Strange Journey seems to have been completely omitted. I thought they were saying that SJ was SMT IV back in the day.

In an interview, some Atlus guy said it's not SMTIV post-release.

His reason was that it didn't take place in Tokyo

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So games like Smash Bros, Marvel vs Capcom, Kingdom Hearts, etc aren't new/original titles?

It's the Bayonetta 2 meltdown all over again.

All I'm trying to say is that I'd vastly prefer a new FE or a new SMT game over a crossover, but if it actually works like KH or MvsC, then it will interest me...

Busaiku

All I'm trying to say is that I'd vastly prefer a new FE or a new SMT game over a crossover, but if it actually works like KH or MvsC, then it will interest me...

Well Fire Emblem Awakenin and Shin Megami Tensei IV aren't even a year old...
EDIT - Wait, Shin Megami Tensei IV isn't even out yet.

Hero

I would never tell a company not to make a game, because just as you said, we never know what the outcome will be. I'm saying that, as a concept, I almost always hate crossovers, and even while I have fond feelings for both franchises here, I have absolutely no interest in seeing them coming together.

But, again, I've never been the type who wants to see people denied games because I'm not interested in them. At the same time, I'm going to be honest in my feelings on projects like these.

Alright, I understand your feelings here a bit more. I suppose crossovers just seem to be more well-received in Japan.

Lets be fair here: Bayonetta 2 was being developed for the Xbox 360 and PS3, and that's where the fan base for the game was established. So, I think some people had a right to be upset.

Also, I don't know that people saying they'd like to see games avoid exclusivity on certain platforms is exactly a "meltdown".

I was exaggerating about the meltdown although I should've made that more clear with a smiley or something. I can understand fans being upset about a sequel not coming to their platform but you have to admit that the outrage that Nintendo and Platinum Games got was a tad excessive.

On a side note, are you going to PAX East this year?

I'd be thinking like this too, if SMTIV wasn't on the way and Awakening didn't just come out.

Also, I fucking love crossovers.

Taruranto

But this is SMT, not Megaten

What i'm trying to say is, since these kind of games are made by exploiting the popularity of certain brands, it's weird to see them using the fist SMT instead of SJ or DeSu that are definitely more popular between the DS/3DS crowd.

Lunar15

Sooooo... I wonder who's going to do the art for this? And the Music? WILL MEGURO DO THE FIRE EMBLEM THEME!?
he won't. :(

mollipen

Which is port begging exempt on gaf, WiiU or shidoshi?

Wait... Am I port begging for a game I don't even want?

On a side note, are you going to PAX East this year?

First, I absolutely agree that the reaction to Bayonetta was ridiculous. Some people would rather the game die than be on a console not of their choice, and that's stupid. In a perfect world, it (and as many games as possible) would be on Xbox/PS/Wii U/PC, do gamers could play on their favorite platforms. When that can't happen, though, no reason to want to deny a platform a game just because it isn't the platform you want.

Also, I am certainly hoping to be. We're doing another round of panels, so I'd like to actually be there for the panel(s) I'm on. *heh*

Death threats.

It was a meltdown.

Sorry, I meant I thought comments in this thread weren't really a meltdown. That of course was.

Kurtofan

Are the guys in uniforms If... characters?

I hope the lineup gets bigger, most of these guys never appeared on a Western console.

tkscz

ytnGx.gif

ALL OVER GAF

MrKaepora

I think I just received a left hook followed by a right upercut...and I enjoyed it. Didn't see this one coming.

Hope it's a TBS. Imagine the possibilities with the WiiU controller!

cjkeats

Technically it could include other SMT games, because the SMT if.. guys were in the trailer, so I expect someone from SJ to show up in the game. This was a pretty quickly put together announcement thing. I doubt the full cast is finalized or anything like that yet. Personally I hope for our dear friend Raidou.

Also a thing to remember that Persona isn't actually branded SMT in Japan, that's just a NA thing for some reason that they're moving away from with Arena and Golden.

Lunar15

Are crossovers exploitative? Yes, they are definitely hinging upon the popularity of both franchises to make the game sell, but this DOES NOT mean they're bad games. PokemonxNobunaga's ambition is actually surprisingly great.

If the game's great, I don't see why the fact that it's a crossover is an issue. Both Atlus and IncSys have good experience making tactics games, and usually do not patronize their fanbases. We'll definitely need to see more, but I have enough faith in both developers to deliver something good.

iavi

You realize that's just two games, right? SJ and now 4.

Yeah? The idea was that something related to mainline SMT is no indication of the target platform for P5. Not that P5 couldn't be 3DS, or that mainline SMT is Ninty exclusive.

None of that is to say I'd mind it on the 3DS. I want it for the HD siblings, preferably the Wii U, but the persona format works so well with portables, it'd still be awesome.

Midou

I hope it's not a fighting game. Either way, WiiU here I come.

Considering even Atlus has dabbled in SRPGs, and that is what Fire Emblem is, I would be its that. Not sure if they will try to squeeze one into the other's universe or have them meet in the middle somewhere, but I'm certain it can work.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I would never tell a company not to make a game, because just as you said, we never know what the outcome will be. I'm saying that, as a concept, I almost always hate crossovers, and even while I have fond feelings for both franchises here, I have absolutely no interest in seeing them coming together.

But, again, I've never been the type who wants to see people denied games because I'm not interested in them. At the same time, I'm going to be honest in my feelings on projects like these.
I don't mind crossovers if they're just a big ol' stew of IPs, logic is automatically thrown totally out the window when Opa-opa is fighting Heihachi. But in the case of melding two specific franchises like this, you should ideally hear about it and say 'oh, that's a pretty natural match'. Slamming together the rigidly defined medieval fantasy world of FE with a series that regularly incorporates pseudofuturistic technology and is entirely predicated on the supernatural, well, any attempts to make sense of the whys and wherefores of the two colliding are just going to be a very transparent wallpaper thrown over "We thought it would be cool."

Ryuukan

Wait... Am I port begging for a game I don't even want?

I'm also going to be really crushed if Atlus ends up putting more of their games exclusively on Nintendo systems. I have no desire to see them deny people with those systems the chance to play their games, but as somebody who likely will not own a Wii U, I fear the thought of potentially missing out on any proper future SMT games. So, I hope this is just a special collaboration, and not any sort of sign of what's to come.

'Please only make games I want for consoles I have'

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
If Demi-Fiend, Raidou, Serph, and DANTE THE DEMON KILLER FROM THE DEVIL MAY CRY SERIES OF VIDEOGAMES are in this, I'll definitely consider a Wii U.

Nasley

Neo Member
I am so confused by this, though. It came out nowhere.
OUT OF NOWHERE!

...But it has FE in it. Never played a SMT game but.... it has FE.....

I need to know more.

Top Bottom